XP Curve Ruin my game and experience, please read.

+
On topic: People who feel that they are over- or underpowered can always crank the difficulty down or up, respectively.
This should solve the problem.

This is a short term fix, but a lot of people are already at the highest difficulty. Level scaling is a much more elegant fix, and it can even be an option in the menu since they already have non-scaled levels.

It's really up to the player to determine how much challenge they want. I'm not only talking about the fact that you can choose different difficulty levels. But the choice of what quest you do and at what time, is up to you.

If you're really looking for a challenge, then do a quest at a lower level than the recommended. If you're in the mood for an easy time, then do the opposite. Overall, as you play the game, you're probably going to end up completing a mixture of both - some quests you complete underleveled, and some you complete overleveled.

So I really don't see the problem here. You can't expect every single quest to be exactly the same level as you are currently. With the amount of variation with how each person plays the game differently, it's impossible. Unless you implement level scaling. But most people hate level scaling.

It's really up to the player to determine how much challenge they want. I'm not only talking about the fact that you can choose different difficulty levels. But the choice of what quest you do and at what time, is up to you.

If you're really looking for a challenge, then do a quest at a lower level than the recommended. If you're in the mood for an easy time, then do the opposite. Overall, as you play the game, you're probably going to end up completing a mixture of both - some quests you complete underleveled, and some you complete overleveled.

So I really don't see the problem here. You can't expect every single quest to be exactly the same level as you are currently. With the amount of variation with how each person plays the game differently, it's impossible. Unless you implement level scaling. But most people hate level scaling.

I disagree that most people hate level scaling, and it is at least necessary for the main plot, and it would probably make a great deal of other missions have a much longer shelf life.

Edit: To be clear I'm only talking about upscaling, not downscaling.

Last edited:
I just checked my quests. I don't see any suggested levels for the quests that I have. Where can I find this? I am on PC.

edit: ok. I see it now. Wow. How dumbed down is this?

Last edited:
I just checked my quests. I don't see any suggested levels for the quests that I have. Where can I find this? I am on PC.

edit: ok. I see it now. Wow. How dumbed down is this?

Why is having a suggested level dumbed down? It's a suggestion based on the level of monsters encountered. I've had some quests since level 4 that are suggested level 33. Exploring is fun and all but I would probably be a bit annoyed if I scoured the globe for the 10+ side quests that I have that are likely impossible for me based on level.

Being only level 8 I can't comment to much on the pace, but I'd say do the side quests inbetween main ones as the side ones don't give as much as the main story. This way you'll probably only be a level or so higher than you would have ended the main chain but you experienced the side quests at a more reasonable level.

Easy fix:

EXP

Give all quests a base amount of exp.
Let half the base of the exp be modified by level.
Leave the other half of the base exp untouched by level difference.

Example: 500 exp for quest. It can be lower if you are higher level than the quest, but no lower than 250exp.

MOBS

-3 / +3 level scaling.
A lvl15 mobs will scale a maximum of 3 levels in either direction.

Geralt lvl15

Mob lvl13-> scaled up to 15.
Mob lvl 17-> scaled down to 15

BUT

Mob lvl20 -> scaled down to 17 (as -3 is max)
Mob lvl4-> scaled up to 7 (as +3 is max)

Easy fix:

EXP

Give all quests a base amount of exp.
Let half the base of the exp be modified by level.
Leave the other half of the base exp untouched by level difference.

Example: 500 exp for quest. It can be lower if you are higher level than the quest, but no lower than 250exp.

MOBS

-3 / +3 level scaling.
A lvl15 mobs will scale a maximum of 3 levels in either direction.

Geralt lvl15

Mob lvl13-> scaled up to 15.
Mob lvl 17-> scaled down to 15

BUT

Mob lvl20 -> scaled down to 17 (as -3 is max)
Mob lvl4-> scaled up to 7 (as +3 is max)

Why are you suggesting level scaling?

I don't think any down-scaling is necessary; a person shouldn't attempt a quest that has a suggested level too far beyond their own. Up-scaling is frankly necessary. The game becomes too easy without it.

Level scaling is not a solution. It makes all your efforts seem pointless because monsters will always catch up with you no matter what you do.

The problem is simply that the main quest level is set so low so people who just follow the story and skip all side quests don't fall behind too much and can still finish the game. Meanwhile, everyone who goes out to to explore and do sidequests will outlevel and trivialize the story.

Personally I'd like a mod that raises MQ levels and lowers the XP gained from the MQ to balance it side quests and combat XP, that way I'm forced to do side content to stand a chance at the MQ (because that's how I play anyway, but I realize not everyone does.)

That is the downside if you don't have scaling.

If you increase the level of the main story quests, than people will complain that they have to do so much side quests to be able to do the main quest.

So yeah, you will outlevel the main quest, if you do most of the side stuff first, no way to avoid it.

Level scaling is not a solution. It makes all your efforts seem pointless because monsters will always catch up with you no matter what

It gives you more skills to deal with them though. And, at the end of the day, I think far more people will feel sad that the game becomes too easy than they will be irritated that the Witcher doesn't feel strong enough. Lore wise the entire leveling up mechanic makes no sense: Geralt hasn't forgotten everything he knew in the six month interval between the end of the Witcher 2 and the start of the third game, so having his strength relative to monsters remain mostly static throughout the game makes some sort of sense.

I like your suggestion of making the main quests harder, and making completing side quests necessary to take on the main quest, though I feel that it is only a partial fix.

full level scaling is ew, i agree

quest only upscaling tho seems like a good solution
What do you mean quest only upscaling?
Full level scaling isn't pointless, because you get new skills and perks so you get more ways to deal with enemies. So you become stronger anyway.

I actually want this game to become easy, for it shows me that I have become better and stronger. Level upscaling would deny me of that joy to know that I can own this monster that a few levels ago killed with just one hit. And should the devs upon seeing those threads asking for upscaling really decide to implement it, I hope they do it as an optional feature lest I would have to wait for a mod like skyrims requiem.

What exactly are you guys using that gets you so much XP? I'm always under-leveled and I'm constantly doing side quests.

What exactly are you guys using that gets you so much XP? I'm always under-leveled and I'm constantly doing side quests.

If you do one of the main story quest at lvl 5 you'll finish this quest and you hit lvl 7-8.
all the 3 story line quest in velen are lvl 5-6 suggested, if you finish one of this quest you hit easy lvl 8, then start another quest story line ad you hit lvl 11...now you have another quest story line...suggested level 6...you are lvl 11...finish the last of this 3 quest and you hit lvl 13...and now you have done only story line quest without exploring or do any contracts.
If you now go for some contracts you rise your level an the story line quest is completely ruined because too easy.

CDProject red do not have experience in terms of open world.

Put 3 story line quest all 3 at suggested level 5-6 not have sense.

CDProject have to play this game first of release it

Put 3 story line quest all 3 at suggested level 5-6 not have sense.
That is nonsense they had to do this to give the player the choice where to start looking for ciri, so that TW3 is really open and doesn't force the player to complete one region after the other.

Top Bottom