A different Perspective on the frame rate drops and stuttering camera

+
A different Perspective on the frame rate drops and stuttering camera

CDPR Devs have only addressed the SMALL issues in the latest patch.
Here are the details on the latest patch.

• Corrects a bug where the player was able to shoot bolts at friendly NPCs.
  • Corrects an issue related to Stamina regeneration while sprinting.
  • Corrects a bug that could cause spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.
  • Reduces spawn times for certain groups of NPCs.
  • Blood particles will now properly appear on water surfaces after foes are killed.
  • Corrects a visual effect in the Wandering in the Dark quest.
  • Improves foliage behavior in scenes.
  • Reduces foliage shadow popping.
  • “Melltith” sword is visible again.
  • Fixes some minor graphics bugs in gwent.
  • Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.
  • Improves performance, especially in cutscenes and during gameplay.
  • Introduces a number of minor improvements in SFX.
  • Fixes an issue that could have caused an infinite loading screen in certain circumstances in
  • Wandering in the Dark quest.
  • Corrects an issue in the dialogue system that might have caused rare instances of dialogue looping in certain scenes.
  • Improves stability in gameplay and the UI, especially during games of gwent.
  • Upgrading items included in gear sets no longer destroys rune sockets on said items.
  • Fixes an occasional bug in the Journal in the Fake Papers quest.
  • Enlarges the loot pop-up window in the UI.

Even after all these changes have been implemented in the latest patch we are still having the same issues with massive frame rate drops and a constant stuttering camera when panning around your character. To me these are the REAL issues at the moment because they are most basic functions/actions that should be working in the game and they are not.

Let me make my case.. I played Witcher 3 for about an hour this morning before heading out to work. I was in the forest on my horse (Roach) and the frame rate was okay (not anything good but it was playable) then it started raining and the trees started blowing around and reacting to the weather effects. While this is incredible..that is when my frame rates dip down considerably.

Even my girl friend who was watching the game asked what just happened to the game! She isn't even into games nor does she care..but when someone who isn't even playing the game notices a dip that bad its a real issue.

Here is another quick point I want to make.. after I finished playing Witcher 3 this morning and dealing with the horrible frame rate issues I decided to switch over to GTA 5..the difference in frame rate was night and day. GTA runs smooth as butter, no frame rate drops or stuttering camera issues. Even while being chased by the police! Yes it is a completely different game with a different engine but it is the only other game I can think that renders an open world at the same scale with changing weather effects and it doesn't have any frame rate or stutter camera issues at all.

I mean if you think about it..you can even change your point of view from 3rd person to first person in real time with out even stutter or frame rate drop. that in itself is incredible! Also, look back at how well GTA 5 ran on last gen consoles like ps3 and xbox 360, yes there were definitely some frame rate drops while driving through heavily populated areas but for the most part it was a very good looking playable game. Witcher 3 has worse frame rate issues that GTA on xbox 360 and it has a ton more graphical power than an xbox 360! I understand that there is many factors to everything…This shows that the PS4 has plenty of power to run the Witcher 3 in a constant 30 Frames per Second BUT for some reason there is more going on under the hood of the actual game engine itself.

While I have a ton of respect for CDPR and what they have accomplished it makes it painful to have a perfectly good game sitting on my PS4 hard drive ready to be played and explored but I can't play it due to the experience being ruined because of these issues.

At this point I am going to wait for the issues to be fixed which could be weeks or even months which really really sucks :/

What I am trying to convey is my frustration as a fellow gamer who looks at my games as pieces of artwork and way to escape.
I would be interested to hear what others are experiencing and if they have had any luck in fixing this issue or heard anything from the devs?

Last edited:
May wanna use paragraphs. Quite hard to read Wall O' Text 2015.

My one and only issue with Witcher 3 is the horrible, dreadful, annoying, unplayable framerate. Once this, and hopefully it DOES get fixed, especially for combat as that's where this issue persists.. I'll be in my glory.

Hey, I'm very sorry about all you guys who have massive problems with the frame rate. I'm playing on PS4 too and I never had big problems with the performance, since patch 1.03 it's even better. Stuttering is very, very rare.
I'm wondering why others have such big problems although we play on the same platform. :0

I wonder if there is a difference between disc and download.
I am playing on 60" Sharp Aquos 240hz and I have the digital download version of the game.
Have you heard of anyone else having these issues with a disc?

TV's have GAME MODE. Select GAME MODE - 5ms - 7ms.

And no, It's not due to response time, as any Console-ONLY Gamer seems oblivious to what an actual drop in framerate actually is, It's performance and it sucks, as of now, especially in combat.

The. Game. Is. Very. Unplayable. 90% of.. the time.

TV's have GAME MODE. Select GAME MODE - 5ms - 7ms.

And no, It's not due to response time, as any Console-ONLY Gamer seems oblivious to what an actual drop in framerate actually is, It's performance and it sucks, as of now, especially in combat.

The. Game. Is. Very. Unplayable. 90% of.. the time.

Please: Don't repeat yourself, do you have a disc or a download copy? Would be interesting to know.

FreeFall24 I am currently playing on game mode right now and it is still doing the stuttering and frame rate drops.
I come from a PC back ground so I have a trained eye in frame rate drops..which honestly can be a curse while playing on consoles because your eye get so used to the smoothness of a PC.
and yes I agree that the game is unplayable 90% of the time. very sad and frustrating.
are you having the same issues freefall24 or are they different? what is your set up?

Physical or Digital, these don't matter. The game wasn't ready to launch, plain and simple. Performance issues are present, regardless of how anyone purchased the game. If you think having Physical somehow makes you immune to framerate issues I'd like you to put your attention to Steam or GoG.

Physical or Digital, these don't matter. The game wasn't ready to launch, plain and simple. Performance issues are present, regardless of how anyone purchased the game. If you think having Physical somehow makes you immune to framerate issues I'd like you to put your attention to Steam or GoG.
What's your problem? If you would've read my post on page 1 you would know that not everyone have the same problems as you. There has to be another reason.
You could say this if EVERYONE got the same. But that isn't so. So keep calm, I know, it's very frustrating, I can't continue in story because of a quest bug. That's no reason to start forum terror.

I have tried everything from bring the output resolution on my PS4 down to 720p thinking maybe it would be as much of a strain on the system and it would be able to utilize the extra power of not converting to 1080p but I still have the exact same problems. Thats tells me that it is within the code/engine part of the game that only the devs can address.

There simply is no discussion with people who don't game on PC and understand the difference between a playable, and unplayable game. Not my fault you don't understand the game itself is unplayable, the framerates are trash, the game isn't stable, and hardly ever manages to reach a stable 30FPS.

White Orchard? Playable, stable.

Velen, Novigrad, unplayable, unstable. Exploration has been SLIGHTLY improved in various areas, where as combat is still shit. The game isn't stable, whatsoever. Smoke, fire, signs, multiple enemies on screen, combat animations, Alpha Effects, these all lead to FRAMERATE issues.

I completely agree with freefall24.
if you have ever played on a PC you know the quality of what games can look like. (And honestly with the PS4's GDDR5 video ram it is pretty capable of producing near pc graphics) Look at Battlefield 4 running at 60fps or GTA 5 on ps4

For example my little brother has never played on a PC in his life so when he got Battlefield 4 on Xbox One and it was only running at 30fps I told him it looked like shit and to him it was the most incredible thing he had ever seen. Its because he doesn't realize what else is out there and the quality of what a game can actually run at.
Its the same thing with all these people who are saying that the game runs "fine" on their console. It isbecause to them there is no comparison. To us who have played on PC our eyes are open to just how shitty this game runs.

Last edited:
So please go play it on Pc and stop bother people with your "fault/not fault" argument, wich are completely out of place and absolutely useless.Frame rate is a matter of perception, so is subjective, so someone have problems with it and someone not.
And both have the right to be or not to be accordingly with their perceptions, wich are not an absolute through wich judge if someone is having his time with the game the right way...

So please go play it on Pc and stop bother people with your "fault/not fault" argument, wich are completely out of place and absolutely useless.Frame rate is a matter of perception, so is subjective, so someone have problems with it and someone not.
And both have the right to be or not to be accordingly with their perceptions, wich are not an absolute through wich judge if someone is having his time with the game the right way...

Again with this "frame rate is a matter of perception" eh? Just go to anywhere in the middle of Velen and spin the camera around slowly 360 degrees without a serious amount of choppiness. That's right it's not possible..and guess what? EVERYONE CAN SEE THIS! Even you if you're honest with yourself.

Bought the game today and tried playing for three hours. I haven't left the White Orchard yet so I haven't encountered any severe framerate drops, but the stuttering camera and "frameskipping" make the game unplayable. It's like watching a movie shown using a broken projector, with constantly fluctuating speed. Unbearable. I thought I'd get used to it, but I can't. I've played hundreds of games on consoles over the years but the only one I had to quit playing because of terrible performance was Arcania on X360. W3 is the second. I hope they patch it.

There simply is no discussion with people who don't game on PC and understand the difference between a playable, and unplayable game. Not my fault you don't understand the game itself is unplayable, the framerates are trash, the game isn't stable, and hardly ever manages to reach a stable 30FPS.

I'm pissed of people like you with their terrible arrogance...
I play on PC too. I know how it is to play on constant 60 FPS. So please...don't write about things you don't know.
Sorry that I tried to help, I didn't guess that you just wanted to cry here.

I never said that TW3 would be stable at any time. IMO (!!!) and not only mine, it isn't completely unplayable.
Maybe you have some super mutant eyes or your own witcher sence, I don't know, I'm soooo sorry.

Last edited:
Again with this "frame rate is a matter of perception" eh? Just go to anywhere in the middle of Velen and spin the camera around slowly 360 degrees without a serious amount of choppiness. That's right it's not possible..and guess what? EVERYONE CAN SEE THIS! Even you if you're honest with yourself.

So all the people sperimenting what are you talking about and finishing the game without complaining are dishonest with theirselves?
Again, the problem isn't if the issue is here or not, the problem is the scale someone attributes to the issue pretending it as an absolute to accept, which in consequence build some ridicolous statements like being a fault of anyone seeing or not the issue, like it was a fault having different level of tolerance or perception, wich paradoxally makes this people luckier than others instead of being considered something like menomated, or the argument by wich if you are ok with the technical aspect of the game, it's because you never played on Pc.
What the fuck a console gamer have to care about playing on Pc if his experience is about console gaming and so the comparison he does is obviously and righteously about console gaming trend?
And again, this doesn't remove the issue, but frankly the only thing people should really accept is that enlarging to the extreme boundaries of the universe the perception of the issue won't increase the urge of coders to resolve it.
So please, we all are aware of the issue as we are aware of the fact that everyone lives it individually, but taking a knee abrasion as it was a cancer will only make doctors loose their time over knee abrasions instead of taking care of real cancers.
The issue is real and have to be adjusted, but let's stop drawing it as an unbearable problem, or we'll finish to get a game completely tore in pieces (resources are not infinite, if you push an edge you have to pull another, have a look at what happened with the latest patch and all the textures loading problems which weren't before) by the urge of satisfying the crying of paying users, whose are all the same in front of their debtor (CDPR).
"I want 900p and 60fps", "I want worst textures but give me better alphas", "Please i can't play the game mounting an horse, gimme a bear to ride, bears don't stutter, it's for sure".
Do you understand what i mean and what we risk?
So let's cry responsibly, we all...

Last edited:
Top Bottom