The Whispering Hillock - Did you save the children?

+

• Realsed spirit to save the children.

Votes: 62 42.5%
  • Did not release spirit.

Votes: 84 57.5%

• Total voters

I just wonder how many of you saved the children (of the cost of releasing an evil spirit).
Please keep spoilers to a minimum, I'm no further than this in the game.

I released the evil spirit, never expected it to have such an interesting consequence, but I didn't regret it.

No
Crones asked me to take care of it and they had information about Ciri, didn't want to risk anything just because the tree starts talking

Both are super duper evil powers. You have a choice of having two evil powers in the world or just one (and maybe not even one but don't really know).

As for the kids who says they actually survive. You can't trust the tree spirit to take care of them forever. And I doubt if their families are around so most likely they die anyway. BTW these are not spoilers just conjecture.

Not to mention the repercussions that siding with the tree involve.

All in all it is much better to kill the evil tree spirit. You have fewer dead overall, and you got rid of one nasty evil spirit.

Last edited:
I hated Crones form the start, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend was my logic, I just didn't want to do them any favors.

Honestly. I had no inclination to release it. It was my damn JOB, I was hired to deal with a monster that killed the villagers. This thing was a trapped spirit. Why a hell would I turn onto my customers by releasing it??? From a professional ethics, it made no fucking sense. So I just offed it as I was hired to do, and the villagers were alive and well. Later Baron and Anna also survived.
Releasing this monster would have started a little local apocalypse in the swamps, as I later learned. So I felt my choice was correct. Geralt is a monster SLAYER, not a catch-and-release kind of guy.

From now on.. I will ask myself.. what would Dean and Sammy do?

Release Crowley if he could save four children? Or destroy him and let the four kids die.
The answer becomes more clear to me that way, he he.

"It has to be another way."
"What then?"
"I don't know.."
"This is the only way!"
"SAMMY!"
"DEAN!!"

:D That's how it usually goes? somewhat.

Last edited:
I didn't release it and knowing the consequences of both decisions I don't regret it at all.

See you fell for the trap. Save four kids and all. It never crosses your mind that you save those 4 kids but maybe 10 other kids die!

The tree MUST die.

Saving children was not my motive for releasing it at all, just wanted to provoke the Crones.
Same here. Those children were kind of annoying - I didn't care for them at all. I just wanted to piss off those crones and start a fight.
Sadly enough I failed at starting that fight.

Last edited:
I just wonder how many of you saved the children (of the cost of releasing an evil spirit).
Please keep spoilers to a minimum, I'm no further than this in the game.

I did the first time. I didn't in my second game. As usual, both choices lead to good and bad outcomes.

Edited to add that I prefer the outcomes from destroying the evil spirit over releasing it.

Last edited:
I released it, although as others have noted, the main motivation was probably to antagonise the Crones. More than anything I did not trust them, and did not want to do anything to potentially strengthen their hold over the swamp. I felt that letting the tree spirit go, knowing it would save some children - at least in the short term - was worth whatever trouble it might create, especially if it weakened the Crones' power as well.

The consequences of that decision? Yeah, hit me in the feels. But I don't regret it.

I did the Tree Spirit's quest and deceived her during the ritual and killed her.

Yeah the casualties were some kids that were given to the Crones, but on the flip side I didn't release a more powerful evil spirit than the Crones into the world (which we find out it's aftermath to Downwarren if let go).

I've read the book that relates... so no way would I release it unless there was a *very* good reason. Haven't got there yet... but know of it from the previews and from reading every book in the game that I can find...If the crones thought it ancient malevolent and evil.... then I'm not risking letting it out on it's say-so.

Still I could be wrong. I already killed one monster who was apparently only trying to get home and safe. (Though that could have been wishful thinking on someone else's part... half of me still thinks I did the right thing...).

Nope, I tricked it and it died.

I didn't trust the Crones but I also didn't trust that tree. Just because something says it's innocent doesn't mean it is. Logically speaking, the Crones had info on Ciri that I needed. The Tree could offer me nothing except the possibilities of saving a bunch of orphan kids.

Ciri > Orphans

What if the spirit killed the Crones? There goes my info.

Nope. Bye tree.

Top Bottom