Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
That scene in the garden did show a particular contrast between Triss & Yen. Triss hasn't stoop so low to practice necromancy whilst Yen has. I'm glad I committed Geralt to Triss. Yen looks down upon Geralt & treats him like a dog. Cerys & Keira seem to think so too.

That scene in the garden did show a particular contrast between Triss & Yen. Triss hasn't stoop so low to practice necromancy whilst Yen has. I'm glad I committed Geralt to Triss. Yen looks down upon Geralt & treats him like a dog. Cerys & Keira seem to think so too.

Wat's so horibble about necromancy?

That's the thing, she can get sex wherever she wants, but Geralt is the only person who will ever love her. She is, however, so used to and content with being a tortured soul, that she's willing to live with on-and-off-again affection from him and sees no reason to change (much). Sure others might be infatuated with her, or love the idea of her as they see her, but only Geralt ever saw through her and accepted her for who she was...personality defects and all.

In the books, where Geralt is the product of one man's mind and imagination, that is correct. But in the games, each individual player brings their own thoughts and experiences to - much as I dislike the term - "their" Geralt. I used to do a ton of theater. Unless the writer was actually sitting there with you, it was up to you - as the actor - to "find the truth" in the character for their portrayal. Two actors can play the exact same character and draw out completely different emotions, depending on what they bring.

In game, default Geralt has a history with Yennefer. He has memories of the good times, he knows her personality, he knows her. We as players do not have that. I've played the games, I've read the books, I even watched the TV series. I can still see that Yen treats Geralt horribly. Even the character comments on it. So maybe... maybe... Yen is not a horrible person; maybe that's the way I see it because it's the eye of the beholder. But here's another example...

Let's say that I have some friends. People I've known for years. We act like absolute dicks to each other. But we know each other, we know it's in good fun, we know they're jokes, we know that no matter what we say that it's all good. Now through some random act, you are me for a day. You look like me, talk like me, but mentally... you're still you. If a bunch of guys - that you know you have history with - come up and treat you like crap from the get go... how do you feel? You're lacking the context of why we act that way. The same thing goes for the game. I knew going in that Yen was a handful, I knew it was "Geralt and Yen 5 ever". But I have no memories of her being caring, being loving. I have no memories of her being anything but the title of a famous Jet song.

@Dermax

I agree completely, though meant Geralt loving her in the books, as you said, it's the background for the games. It simply explains how this came to be. The player shouldn't be pidgeon-holed into it.

I don't think we should think less of Yennefer because of the necromancy scene. She expressed just how horrible it was and made her feel, afterwards. But, it was necessary in order to find Ciri. Yennefer has always been willing to do anything for Ciri!

I believe the relevant question should be: What isn't horrible about necromancy? The garden scene speaks for itself.

Triss also did many horrible things.I don't see how necromancy is worse,than taking advantage of Geralt's amnesia and betraying your best friend.

Wat's so horibble about necromancy?

Probably all of the societal beliefs about the importance of the dead, how they are buried, it affecting their after-life (if any), etc.

So bringing them back is an affront or an attack on their being, in a way.

She does feel terrible about it. It's not like she's heartless, she just doesn't wear it on her sleeve.

Hooray to accurate portrayal of Yennefer by CDPR.

I'm gonna quote @Richiesname to the end of my days, but it seems like CDPR still went LIGHT on Yen! Here an opinion of someone who read the books:

Just a fan's opinion, but I feel like they sort of re-wrote the Yennefer character to make us like her better. Sapkowski's Yennefer was very, very close to absolutely unlikable and had few redeeming qualities. I constantly wondered why on Earth Geralt liked her so much. Triss, on the other hand, was always sweet, good hearted, the opposite of Yen in many ways. When playing Witcher 1 and 2, I took this into account while romancing Triss. Then I meet Yen in Wild Hunt and I'm like "Are you sure that's her?"

lol "light" yen was already annoying as hell so I can only imagine how book Yen is

As someone who read the books I think CDPR nailed Yennefer.Also,Triss isn't always sweet and good hearted.She betrayed Yen multiple times in the books.

I'm gonna quote @Richiesname to the end of my days, but it seems like CDPR still went LIGHT on Yen! Here an opinion of someone who read the books:

I like to think that their mutual near-death experience, recovery together on the Isle of Avallach, and subsequent dealings with the Wild Hunt changed her.

Last edited:
I don't think we should think less of Yennefer because of the necromancy scene. She expressed just how horrible it was and made her feel, afterwards. But, it was necessary in order to find Ciri. Yennefer has always been willing to do anything for Ciri!
To me, that's kinda of the problem. If Ciri knew what Yen did I doubt she'd be understanding.

I'm gonna quote @Richiesname
"Just a fan's opinion, but I feel like they sort of re-wrote the Yennefer character to make us like her better. Sapkowski's Yennefer was very, very close to absolutely unlikable and had few redeeming qualities"

Well, that couldn't be further away from my opinion. She wasn't at all unlikable in the books. And no redeeming qualities? What? So, giving the middle finger to the scheming Lodge, and going to find Ciri, and being tortured and imprisoned because of it are not redeeming qualities? And giving her life to save Geralt? I'm sorry but, Triss never did anything close to this.

As someone who read the books I think CDPR nailed Yennefer.Also,Triss isn't always sweet and good hearted.She betrayed Yen multiple times in the books.

And in extreme situations she'll torturer and kill those who hurt and threaten what she cares about. That means she's human - she has flaw - which for one, I want to be able to explore

To me, that's kinda of the problem. If Ciri knew what Yen did I doubt she'd be understanding.

Have you read the books? If not, I can tell you that Ciri did a lot of killing, in self defense and not. So, I don't think she would have thought anything less of Yennefer for taking extreme measures.

Well, that couldn't be further away from my opinion. She wasn't at all unlikable in the books. And no redeeming qualities? What? So, giving the middle finger to the scheming Lodge, and going to find Ciri, and being tortured and imprisoned because of it are not redeeming qualities? And giving her life to save Geralt? I'm sorry but, Triss never did anything close to this.

Triss was willing to be tortured for a mere potential lead into Ciri's activities >.< what more do you want?

It is true that in the game, Yennefer did get the 'lite' treatment.

She is certainly changed, in that she's not nearly as wordy and scathing when she's being rude.

I didn't have a problem with the necromancy scene. Yen is willing to do whatever it takes for Ciri and that is probably the only thing I truly like about her. I saw Geralt and Yen as two divorced parents trying to work together to find their lost daughter.

Top Bottom