PS4 Fan as loud as phat PS3 fan while playing witcher 3

+
Sorry! Wasn't trying to offend you. You asked for an experienced based opinion and I threw mine at you. Almost every time, when my fans start making noise, they quiet back down after a good dust removal. Only time this didn't happen is when I fried a GPU on my PC 6 years ago lol But usually works. Also, I have owned the PS4 for a bit now and can say its pretty dang quiet. I have 2 PS3's, my original brick and the last model released that has a manual opening disc drive, and the ps4 has been the quietest. Its very possible something happened during distribution from warhouse to the store causing a defect. My old brick had to go back after only 2 months old for a faulty 'eye' that reads the disc. Its hard to say but cleaning the ps4 is simple enough before you have to deal with the hassle of returning it! Take care!

-Z

---------- Post merged on 29-05-2015 at 12:02 AM ----------

Oh and returns. Forgot to mention. If you go that route, back when I returned my PS3 in 2008, I had buy a box, packing inserts and pay for postage through UPS. It took approximately 2 months. (Shipped off, fixed and shipped back) They paid packaging/shipping return route. It may be quicker now, I am not sure. Thought I'd throw that out while I am here anyways. lol

oh no worries, I wasn't offended. I just thought it was bold to make a statement like that without more knowledge.

2 months for an exchange is ridiculous though.. they better provide me with free postage and packaging or i'll just return the entire thing and have a refund for all.
luckily consumer rights are good here and i got a lawyer to enforce them if need be..
just hope i don't have to go down that road =.='

but thanks for the info.

Haha. Sorry, I did jump to that conclusion rather fast because its an issue I have been fighting since my PS2 brick.. I hate loud fans! lol A regular dusting has definately helped in that department for me. But like I said, it could be a defect from shipping. I really do hope your able to solve your problem quickly and get back to gaming, and gaming comfortably. My most biggest, pet peeve is a loud fan, it annoys the hell out of me. I probably have adult ADD or ADHD undiagnosed though but regardless, I can't concentrate when they make a lot of noise.. lol So I felt you there and also, having done a lengthy return, felt you there too. Thought you might try to deep clean her first since its easiest.

And yes.. 2 months was ridiculous. Especially because it was so new then and was 4 times expensive than my PS2 which never gave me an issue.. I was furious. Sony got off easy though because I was working a really stressful job at that time and didn't have much energy for gaming for several months, during which that event occurred. (Working to pay off the debt I put myself into buying a PS3 right after release with games/accessories on top of being newly wed.. lool) Oh well, fun times! Least I can laugh now! Haha. Hope it works out for you! Good luck!

My neighbor sent his back just because of that famous error. Of course they will try not to take it back, but if you insist and sound like you know what you're talking about they will take it back. My neighbor sent his back and 4 days later had a new one at home. Another guy i know told me he returned his due to loud fan noise and 3 days later had a new one ( at least the serial was different and seemed mint) delivered to his house. This has taken place in Portugal (Europe)

The only time I ever experienced super loud fans was with Far Cry 4, and only when I was in the shopping menu. Silent fans flying a buzzer over 2 dozen royal army guys spamming grenades below. But if I wanted to pick a new coat of paint for my Ak-47? Wooooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssshhhhh!

Haha. Sorry, I did jump to that conclusion rather fast because its an issue I have been fighting since my PS2 brick.. I hate loud fans! lol A regular dusting has definately helped in that department for me. But like I said, it could be a defect from shipping. I really do hope your able to solve your problem quickly and get back to gaming, and gaming comfortably. My most biggest, pet peeve is a loud fan, it annoys the hell out of me. I probably have adult ADD or ADHD undiagnosed though but regardless, I can't concentrate when they make a lot of noise.. lol So I felt you there and also, having done a lengthy return, felt you there too. Thought you might try to deep clean her first since its easiest.

And yes.. 2 months was ridiculous. Especially because it was so new then and was 4 times expensive than my PS2 which never gave me an issue.. I was furious. Sony got off easy though because I was working a really stressful job at that time and didn't have much energy for gaming for several months, during which that event occurred. (Working to pay off the debt I put myself into buying a PS3 right after release with games/accessories on top of being newly wed.. lool) Oh well, fun times! Least I can laugh now! Haha. Hope it works out for you! Good luck!

Thanks a lot. =]
I've been gaming for 25 years and only my 60gb PS3 was ever a loud console, mainly cause it was bought used and the people before didn't take good care of it as well as the fact that it was a refurbished ylod one. My consoles always were/are treated like little treasures, so there's no way they are loud like my PS4 is now without being faulty.
Especially when taking into consideration that my slim PS3 is extremely silent even if I have a 24h game session with it playing games like skyrim or demon's souls.

My neighbor sent his back just because of that famous error. Of course they will try not to take it back, but if you insist and sound like you know what you're talking about they will take it back. My neighbor sent his back and 4 days later had a new one at home. Another guy i know told me he returned his due to loud fan noise and 3 days later had a new one ( at least the serial was different and seemed mint) delivered to his house. This has taken place in Portugal (Europe)

knowing what i'm talking about shouldn't be a problem seeing that i've worked in IT several times and am not new to taking apart/fixing consoles (they are just PCs after all). =]

It's normal when the ps4 makes more nosie the longer its on.

agreed, however if it roars asap as you play witcher with the console being cold, then I figured it was either the known fan fault, or the game making serious use of the hardware, which is what I was trying to figure out here =]

Last edited:
I notice it yesterday i went back into the game ( even with the bad framerate) to play the card game and i notice the fans going very loud
only like 10 min into the game i honestly believe it has nothing to do with bad fans or anything.. this is just how the game is made
so the fans do go crazy with everyone i think.
its like when you play on pc some games makes your fans go crazy more than other games.

ps. i own the game on console and pc and i can tell starting the game on pc makes the pc fans go insane to

i think it's just the game overall guys.

Last edited:
I notice it yesterday i went back into the game ( even with the bad framerate) to play the card game and i notice the fans going very loud
only like 10 min into the game i honestly believe it has nothing to do with bad fans or anything.. this is just how the game is made
so the fans do go crazy with everyone i think.
its like when you play on pc some games makes your fans go crazy more than other games.

ps. i own the game on console and pc and i can tell starting the game on pc makes the pc fans go insane to

i think it's just the game overall guys.

agreed again, just the first time ever that i had a game cause the fans go mad like that..
also, some other people posted that their fans are running quietly throughout the game.. so i'm kinda back to square one xD

agreed again, just the first time ever that i had a game cause the fans go mad like that..
also, some other people posted that their fans are running quietly throughout the game.. so i'm kinda back to square one xD
I can tell my ps4 fans goes this crazy to if i try to play the lords of the fallen on my playstation.

but for the annoying loud fan noises all i can say is plug a big headset on then you wont notice it.

The Witcher 3 is a very demanding game. Even on a good PC it will tax the hardware (specifically the GPU) very hard, and PCs that are not very well built for cooling will also get very noisy (like a laptop system or poorly put together desktop system).
I think this sound with the PS4 is likely to be normal but it will definitely depend on your room temperature. It's almost summer in many countries now, perhaps that is also a contributing factor.

I am lucky in that I can play TW3 with my PC staying silent but a fair amount of effort went into making my PC silent - I fitted an AIO water cooling system for my CPU, and I have fitted quiet fans that are under temperature control as well: 2x 120mm intake and 2x 120mm exhaust. Not to mention that the GPU also has 2 large (slow moving and quiet) fans on it.

The PS4 has barely any cooling in comparison to this so I am not surprised it is noisy. To keep the size and cost down they probably designed it with a certain tolerance of noise levels (meaning they expect it to get noisy under heavy load, but as you are playing the game with your sound up you probably wont care). Why not look into some of those external fans for the PS4? They might reduce the internal temperatures enough to stop the fans running so quickly, bringing the overall noise down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom