Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be interested in AJ's final review because he's clearly going to discuss the topic of target render bullshit head on. And I completely agree with him. This is an industry practice that needs to die in a fire, and I can't give CDPR a pass anymore than I can Ubisoft. I know it's been hounded to death here, but I can't believe CDPR put a metric crap ton of visual materials out on the web they had to know was never going to happen.

We've been trying since 2006 to not be sold console ports. I've given up at this point. The best thing we can do is promote piracy on consoles. That'll fix it well. Further the reason why steam (as an alternate to gog.com) is so successful is valve doesn't do stuff like that to pc gamers. I'm not forgetting.. well the gwent cards. I can't get over the gwent cards sorry.

Oops dragonbird. Well for the love of GRAPHICS!! Please go see the updated version of my preset. I've really updated it to be able to see at night and in the rain, well enough to play anyway, while still keeping a realistic look. Very happy with the latest version.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3742/

Many thanks to @IrregularJohn for great feedback and discussion over pm.

I'll be interested in AJ's final review because he's clearly going to discuss the topic of target render bullshit head on. I completely agree with him. This is an industry practice that needs to die in a fire, and I can't give CDPR a pass anymore than I can Ubisoft. I know it's been hounded to death here, but I can't believe CDPR put a metric crap ton of visual materials out on the web they had to know was never going to happen.

I agree that qualitatively it ain't any different from Ubisoft. It's a disappointing and wrong practice and gamers, especially genuine fans of the devs, should be vocal about it.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: It's called making a game future-proof, which was very normal for PC games in the past. If you can't play it, you tweak the settings. Simple.

Nope, except for somes few games it never have been like that. Even if sure "pc only game" tend to puch graphic evolution faster because hardware evolve faster.
We can take Crysis1 as exemple, but even for that game, Crytek themself recognized that somes filter / shader / effect wasnt well optimized AT ALL. Explaining why even nowday, it requier a little beast PC to max it out and run it at 60fps++. ( and so far, speaking about the vanilla version even if its still look good, its in the same time kinda outdated )

So releasing a "futur-proof" game, only aviable at full setting in 3-4years for the many and aviable now for somes random PC gamers elitist who spend 5k on their PC every 2years. Its totaly pointless for buisiness.
And even more pointless seeing how the tech / game evolve fast.

Also, as i said, ( nearly like 5-6times ) and many look to have very hard time to understand that.
There is no need to use the lastest "ultra expensive resources wise effect tech demo only" (=not optimized) to have a awesome looking game. -> look GTA 5 PC, look the Fox Engine, look the CE3 when used for "small univers games", look Alien Isolation.. etc

I'am not sad to not have TW3 look exactly like their "fake" tech demo. I'am more sad because CDPR tricked the player like UbiSoft do with The Division or did with Watch Dogs.
And because they barely spend time on the REAL game.. at see how it look like a 3years old game and how terribad the optimization is....

Last edited:
Nope, except for somes few games it never have been like that. Even if sure "pc only game" tend to puch graphic evolution faster because hardware evolve faster.
We can take Crysis1 as exemple, but even for that game, Crytek themself recognized that somes filter / shader / effect wasnt well optimized AT ALL. Explaining why even nowday, it requier a little beast PC to max it out and run it at 60fps++. ( and so far, speaking about the vanilla version even if its still look good, its in the same time kinda outdated )

So releasing a "futur-proof" game, only aviable at full setting in 3-4years for the many and aviable now for somes random PC gamers elitist who spend 5k on their PC every 2years. Its totaly pointless for buisiness.
And even more pointless seeing how the tech / game evolve fast.

Also, as i said, ( nearly like 5-6times ) and many look to have very hard time to understand that.
There is no need to use the lastest "ultra expensive resources wise effect tech demo only" (=not optimized) to have a awesome looking game. -> look GTA 5 PC, look the Fox Engine, look the CE3 when used for "small univers games", look Alien Isolation.. etc

I'am not sad to not have TW3 look exactly like their "fake" tech demo. I'am more sad because CDPR tricked the player like UbiSoft do with The Division or did with Watch Dogs.
And because they barely spend time on the REAL game.. at see how it look like a 3years old game and how terribad the optimization is....

This is really getting off Topic.

I'll be interested in AJ's final review because he's clearly going to discuss the topic of target render bullshit head on. I completely agree with him. This is an industry practice that needs to die in a fire, and I can't give CDPR a pass anymore than I can Ubisoft. I know it's been hounded to death here, but I can't believe CDPR put a metric crap ton of visual materials out on the web they had to know was never going to happen.
he already did. he's been through the witcher forums, and he agrees with us. in fact, he said he's disappointed about the graphics himself cause he got to see it at E3 2014, and said it was much better than what we have now.
here's the link to that video he published.

---------- Updated at 06:55 AM ----------

Damn, what a stark contrast.

December 2014 PC build

Final PS4 build

More comparison gifs (taken form here - http://gearnuke.com/witcher-3-cd-projekt-red-full-justice-pc-version/)

the draw distance is obviously weaker, but i also noticed a drastic change in the colors. kinda looks dull compared to the previous ones. wonder why they changed it ?

Watered it down, accomodated for the consoles. I wonder if that is reversible in any way.

Should be.. but given i'm not even in range of 60fps wouldn't think about it.. the biggest difference out of everything ive done to the game came from dropping draw distance below ultra (not considering stupid things like hairworks).

Also from alot of the screenshots above, i'm seeing the differences as lighting quality (should be an easy one for cdpr) and texture lod (a nasty horrible setting thats probably an ini edit). Loss in environment detail STINKS OF CONSOLE. And not pleasant smells, but console like non pc smells.

Last edited:
gone to skellige yesterday, ther's something special about lighting there, its really really better than any other zone, even when the sun isnt directly hitting the area the lighting look more realistic, in the other zones it look just dull, i think it might be the least downgraded area

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-05-28 20-01-45-37.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-28 20-01-45-37.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 45
You wouldn't even be playing a game of such massive scope right now if it wasn't for consoles giving them a decent budget. So count yourself lucky they exist.

gone to skellige yesterday, ther's something special about lighting there, its really really better than any other zone, even when the sun isnt directly hitting the area the lighting look more realistic, in the other zones it look just dull, i think it might be the least downgraded area

That wouldn´t make much sense. Why is that...?

That wouldn´t make much sense. Why is that...?

its supposed to be the last/high level area ( i suppose still didnt finish the game ) and you can clearly see that they put more effort on it than any other zone, the draw distance is bigger, the lighting is better ect .. they wanted players to be surprised again even this far in the game i think

and about the watered down colors, note that colors are also hugely affected by lighting, if the lighting quality is weak the colors will look weak too,no matter the colorgrading you apply to it, so i dont think that they deliberately changed the coloring that much, its more because of the lighting change they did

just to clarify, am still having a blast playing the game and it look amazing, being a modding enthusiast i like to discuss graphics :D

Again a post was deleted, there was no Insult in it and it was not off Topic. I just answered a Question and I am always within the Forum Rules. This Opinion Leading is ridiculous.

Again a post was deleted, there was no Insult in it and it was not off Topic. I just answered a Question and I am always within the Forum Rules. This Opinion Leading is ridiculous.

You should PM whichever moderator deleted your post.

Thats what they said you should do if you have any problems with the deleted post , I think it was 10-20pages back.

You wouldn't even be playing a game of such massive scope right now if it wasn't for consoles giving them a decent budget. So count yourself lucky they exist.

Doesn't take away that they could have done it like the Witcher 2 and downgrade the game for the consoles while keeping the PC version of high quality. Your argument defends the existence of the game, not the practice of making the game's PC graphics on par with consoles.

Well, why do you think they're letting this thread go on for so long here.. if this conversation moved to reddit they would have no control over it.

My post got deleted as well, which i don't have a problem with since it is off topic, but looking back, the post we replied to did NOT get deleted, and thats shameful and sickening. Matches CDPR's current mode of operation to the letter. If the mods arent employees i can't believe they can still support this stuff.

2 replies to an off topic post were deleted, yet the off topic post was left in. Classy stuff.

Last edited:
Good video.

Apparently according to a CDPR dev HIMSELF, PC's were PERFECTLY capable of running the old version of the Witcher 3. So people should stop the nonsense that 99% wouldn't be able to run it.

2 replies to an off topic post were deleted, yet the off topic post was left in. Classy stuff.

This thread attracts flamebait posts, from both sides. We will stop it escalating by taking action against the one who started it and deleting replies - it's what we've been doing all along.

In this case, the original was left behind so that you can see exactly what action WAS taken.

Edit: However, based on the post that followed this. That approach isn't working either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom