The Skyrim effect

+
There's nothing wrong with wanting to tailor your experience to meet your own preferences, but that's what mods are for. Making gameplay changes for the developers isn't as straight forward as it is for modders, modders don't have the same responsibilities as the developers.

As I said, I think Skyrim (all Elder Scrolls games, really) was a mediocre RPG at best, but the world and modding capabilities made it SO much more then what the devs presented as the actual game. I see that same potential in TW3, even more, maybe.
agreed, it's a glorified fantasy simulator with stats. even oblivion as watered down as skyrim was compared to morrowind. oblivion had better quests and a reputation system depending of the factions you've joined, and it had actual stealth (unlike skyrim which turned the theives guild missions into simple fighting missions). and let us not talk about the civil war quest -_- . in short: skyrim is just BLAND.

ok rant's over. the witcher 3 is definitly a better game, even though i haven't played it. it has the charm of the gothic series in terms of exploration (at least from what i've seen in the footage). Nonetheless, it'd still highly benefit from mods.

I like playing in 3rd person, it's a preference, I always wished Elder Scrolls had proper 3rd person. Now I have Witcher 3, I'm content, by no means will I stop playing Elder Scrolls games or Fallout games, but now Witcher 3 is on the same level of not higher in quality. That's a good thing... A very good thing.

Still, it would be nice to have a witcher hide out to store gear you don't wanna carry on roach. I have all of the witcher gear sets so far and inventory is closed to being maxed out..

What Skyrim? TW3 seems more akin to Red Ded Redemption in terms of open world mechanics. And I say that as a compliment, because I loved RDR.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to tailor your experience to meet your own preferences, but that's what mods are for. Making gameplay changes for the developers isn't as straight forward as it is for modders, modders don't have the same responsibilities as the developers.

Yeah that's kid of what I meant. Features being asked for that are game changers are best suited for when Redkit is out, because while some customers may be unhappy with their experiance you risk ruining it for people who are already enjoying it.

People expect a game to be like Skyrim and ask for it to be more like Skyrim (once again this happens to pretty much any RPG released these days). The problem with that is Skyrim doesn't exist in the traditional gaming sense. It is an every changing game, that on PC is probably never played unmodded. So when people ask for a game to be more like Skyrim, what does that mean?

I hope the moding community reaches even a fraction of the size of the Skyrim one. And I expect we'll see so great stuff.

+1 to this post only thing i need to add ,, is what witcher 3 is currently missing in my opinion is a better crime system like gothic 2 not that detailed aint easy just a basic one will do and the fix in the end of the story , and the missing adult choises... that w2 (and better quality)

so CDPR dont realease alterante looks we can do it too with the rigth tools if you give us but give us what we CANT DO

and im willing to pay for those to see them fixed i dont expect a free dlc that cover much

I guess what we're all asking for is not to make it more like Skyrim, but to create a community outreach program and get all those wonderful talented modders to start treating TW3 as the standard platform.

Skyrim without the mods is a great sandbox but a really dull RPG. The Witcher's villagers are more believable in terms of dialogue than most of the main characters in Skyrim. Skyrim has become this legendary game because of A) the mainstream hype B) the mods. The Witcher has vast potential to be the next gold standard, it's just about getting the modders on board.

To all people that have doubts about Skyrim being dull, play what I call the Skyrim challenge with me. I dare you to name at least one memorable character and it's story arc. And no, "the dragonborn" doesnt count :p The closest I can get to completing the Skyrim challenge is to say: that annoying woman warrior person that bugged me all throughout the main story. I really remember constantly wishing death upon her :p That's about it

CDPR has realized one thing while creating the Witcher: having a blank-page protagonist makes the story-telling almost impossible. That's why ES games fail in terms of the story. How can you possibly empathize with a character that has no motivations other than saving the world. In the old days of Pen and Paper roleplaying you would get some character traits and background story to build your experience upon. And then video game devs decided that the most Immersive strategy is to make the protagonist a blank page. Although I love ES games in terms of their beautiful sandboxes, it pisses me off that they started the from-the-scratch character development trend.

So no, don't learn from Skyrim CDPR, just show the modders that your system is the best place for the community. Because it really is.

Last edited:
Knights of the Nine changed the way I played rpg's. Before that playing TES Arena for the first time probably. The series needs the next big step, whatever that may be, but I'm certain CDPR recognizes the shoulders it stands on.

On the other hand, none of that makes "Skyrim has <insert suggestion here>, go play Skyrim" argument that many people like to throw around any more valid tho. Skyrim features aren't automatically bad, Skyrim exclusive and incompatible with Witcher 3 and CDPR vision for it just because Skyrim has them.

TES is great. TW3 is great. Old isometric RPG's (Baldur's Gate/Icewindale/etc and now Pillars of Eternity) are good. Older Squaresoft Games (PS1 and older systems) are good.

There are many different types of RPG's that have great titles therein. If everyone wants a single type of RPG, well that would call for a very boring genre of games.

I appreciate the variety and play the games for what they are because I like them.

TW3 is amazing.

TES is great. TW3 is great. Old isometric RPG's (Baldur's Gate/Icewindale/etc and now Pillars of Eternity) are good. Older Squaresoft Games (PS1 and older systems) are good.
this reminds me, witcher 1 did have an isometric perspective option

and having that didnt turn witcher 1 into some baldurs gate clone :p

I think that this game needs modding community, I would love to see some quest which are fitting to the lore, made by talented modders. Not to mention some place you can place your witcher equipment for further upgrade.
This game on the other hand is more like Rockstar's sandbox experience than anything else and I love this way. I allways wanted to explore a bigger region of rhe Northern Kingdoms, made by CDPR, because I love their style, and it is not a dream anymore.

As a Skyrim modder (I made over 50 mods including the quest Gray Cowl of Nocturnal) I can literally say that TW3 is better than Skyrim in many ways.
The power of Skyrim is the mod community and it is fully open world. However the main questlines and guilds quests are bland. Landscape views are amazing but settlements and cities are pretty dull.
TW3 is better because of the story and Geralt's charm. Also the scenery and landscapes are breathtaking. Female bodies too (LOL).
Another good example of why I like TW3 is the dialogue system where the camera moves around the NPCs and Geralt making the dialogue scenes very cinematic.
Also, I want to say another thing: Oblivion and Morrowind are better than Skyrim, I can assure this.

I couldn't agree more OP. I don't get why everyone reveres Skyrim so highly in the first place. I mean, it's not the first Elder Scrolls game, nor is it the largest. And it's not the first Elder Scrolls game to support mods either. I mean, fuck, this is what Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind looks like in 2015 and that game is 13 years old.

Lets be fair here, those screenshots are from a heavily modded Morrowind. That's not what Morrowind looked like out of the box. :p

Hopefully the modding community will embrace The Witcher 3 and in return hopefully CDPR will embrace the modding community. I think that will greatly expand TW3's lifespan.

If we are to compare The Witcher 3 to any Elder Scrolls game let's compare it to Morrowind which had a much grander main story than it's sequels and more importantly was a (mostly) unlevelled open world like W3 where you could explore at your leisure but going to certain areas well before you were at the right level is a bad idea.

Now.. NOW!!! we just Bethesda, Bioware and CD Projekt Red to join forces to create the ultimate RPG ever.

Witcher like world with story mixed in with Bioware's mass effect/dragon age character depth, development and romance and loyalties with companions and with Skyrims open sandboxiness and perks and character creation and house ownership and and and and and and and and and *flat lines*

*this is meant as joke.
*ok not really but i can dream.

Top Bottom