So... that 80 monsters thing, huh?

+
So... that 80 monsters thing, huh?

Not really true is it? Unless you count re-colors that is, maybe not even then...

The issue for me is that interesting monsters like griffins, cyclopses, basilisks, ect only really spawn near guarded treasures or quests. They spawn in the wild VERY RARELY.

And then we have literally thousands of drowners, wolves and ghouls.

Was kinda disappointed in that.

I know it would be annoying if they shoved a boss battle down our throats every two seconds..but still, the balancing is way off.

Makes it feel like those cool monsters are more attached to simply quests, not "part of a living breathing ecosystem".

well, if you count different types of human enemies.... does it make 80? I don't know, but last night i fought something I have never seen "a chort" so that was a nice surprise as I expected your run of the mill Fiend. So there's some curve balls for sure, but I wouldn't know about 80 different monsters.

I hate when devs promise something they can't or won't or are not sure they even can deliver.

This thing is merely one thing on long list of things for this game that was not delivered and that means that Witcher 3 just like any other game.

It's still awesome though it needs few tweakes.I repeat...it's awesome but devs did promise more monsters,more animations for attacks(it supposed to be over 78 ),other witchers as companions which you can take out on monster hunting,bargaining for price of reward (is this even in) etc?

Don't promise until your 100% sure you can deliver.That's why I won't believe any footage of Cyberpunk or any other game nor any news about them.I only believe to what I can see on my HD working or on youtube from finished game.

I counted 65 entries in my bestiary total, including named monsters. I still have around 12-16 contracts that are still available, and gods know how many secondary quests. So I'd say that 80 monsters claim was legit. And keep in mind we will see some more in future free DLCs. And plenty more in the future expansion pack. Still, the devs didn't lie about 80 monsters to hunt and kill.

Yes, the number is true, give or take a handful. I don't know what people were expecting, that you'd run into a new creature behind every bush? It should be obvious that some monsters are more common than others and that the biggest, deadliest beasts would be extremely rare.

My bestiary at level 15 is getting quite full, though some of them are obviously named specifically. I can imagine it being up to 80 as I go through the rest of the game. Also, contract prices can be haggled. Seen everything they promised so far.

Having played the full game and for 100+ hours, it's mostly Drowners, Ghouls, Wolves, and Bandits. Drowners may actually be the most common monster in the game, but I could be mistaken. I really don't even pay attention to what comes up anymore, I won't lie.

Drowners are grossly overused, and reaching Skellige makes you realize the game has a complete and utter lack of aquatic enemies in general. I'd be glad to see 30~50% of the Drowner locations mixed with some other appropriate monster, and have entirely new aquatic monsters, period. Same goes for Sirens/Ekhidnas (Another Siren) in Skellige.

Also, people need to stop being "that guy". No, just because somebody complains about a lack of or overly used enemy types doesn't mean they expect a unique enemy around every turn. That kind of response is incredibly stupid. That's the kind of response a child would give somebody for crying out loud.

I wouldn't call my statements baseless since I have ~140h clogged into the game and have done every contract (got the achievement anyway), please, let's not go down to that level...

---------- Updated at 08:29 PM ----------

I counted 65 entries in my bestiary total, including named monsters. I still have around 12-16 contracts that are still available, and gods know how many secondary quests. So I'd say that 80 monsters claim was legit. And keep in mind we will see some more in future free DLCs. And plenty more in the future expansion pack. Still, the devs didn't lie about 80 monsters to hunt and kill.

they've said 80 different monsters, emphasis is on the word different, giving 8 vampires a different paint job is not exactly different

Last edited:
What the hell are you talking about? There are plenty of different monsters. In the draconids entry you got Forktails, Basilisks, Cockatrice, Wyverns, Royal wyverns, and Shrieker. They are all different monsters, and not just in colors.

That has always been a rough figure, not an exact. Pretty sure that much was said by CDPR too and on the forums itself.

What the hell are you talking about? There are plenty of different monsters. In the draconids entry you got Forktails, Basilisks, Cockatrice, Wyverns, Royal wyverns, and Shrieker. They are all different monsters, and not just in colors.

all of those have similar weaknesses, identical movesets, excluding that some of them spit poison too, and regarding appearance, some of them have spikes and horns, some feathers and beaks, but the body structure is the same, I'm not saying they're exactly the same, but they're not that much different either

There are 80 monsters in this game. I have the Prima game book and just counted the bestiary and there are 60 in that plus there are over 20 contracts to do so that is over 80

all of those have similar weaknesses, identical movesets, excluding that some of them spit poison too, and regarding appearance, some of them have spikes and horns, some feathers and beaks, but the body structure is the same, I'm not saying they're exactly the same, but they're not that much different either

Whatever. They didn't say 80 wildly different monster categories. They said 80 monsters. Which they delivered.

I am confused, why are people not expecting lots of necrophages in a war zone? I expect the most common enemy in a war torn country to be necrophages they are drawn to the dead. War zones are filled with the dead. Ergo lots of necrophages.

I personally like that monsters "fit" into the ecology of the world. I encounter many different types of monsters but those that are large and predatory need lots of space to hunt so they are rare, those that are drawn to dead bodies are more common because dead bodies are all over the countryside. Not sure how the Devs deceived or lied to us.

But like many complaints gamers have this can be boiled down to Unreasonable Gamer expectation syndrome.

I think the most recent promise was around 60 if I recall correctly. Anyway, it was pretty obvious (to me at least) that there simply won't be that many different monsters in the game. I mean, 80 totally different monsters...impossible. Say each one takes one week for the devs to make (I'd guess it's much more than that, though), and that's almost two years of development just for the monsters. Of course, the whole team doesn't work on monsters, but you get the idea.

I find the enemy variety still quite good actually. The flying creatures are a disappointment, though, especially the big ones as they're basically all the same with different skins (ok, there's a small unique ability here and there). At least they're looking cool...

I wouldn't call my statements baseless since I have ~140h clogged into the game and have done every contract (got the achievement anyway), please, let's not go down to that level...

---------- Updated at 08:29 PM ----------

they've said 80 different monsters, emphasis is on the word different, giving 8 vampires a different paint job is not exactly different

the world does not operate around your personal definitions. thanks

Top Bottom