Camera Stutter Master Thread - Share your info

+
It would also help to disable the "auto center" for the camera when trotting/walking on horseback. Fighting the auto center camera and the stutter while trying to look around while walking on horseback is just agonizing. just make it match the on foot controls, where we can rotate the camera freely when walking, but then auto center kicks in when geralt jogs or runs (as this is exactly when it is needed). hope these changes make it into the next patch, as I do a lot of looking around and exploring on horseback...

For the record:

The horse stuttering is a separate animation issue which is non-related to performance problems. It's a falsely timed animation loop.

Auto center stutter is a separate issue, related to overall performance loss due to general camera judder when looking around the environment.

By the way, it frightens me a lot that nobody except me seems to care why the standard camera angle is focused almost on the ground, floating ABOVE Geralt instead of being behind him like in most other 3rd person viewed games. I constantly see myself correcting the vertical camera position in order to make the horizon visible - only to last for a few seconds before I have to correct it again. Fu**ing auto center works in both directions. If I didn't corrected the angle continuously, I wouldn't see much of the pretty game world, only the ground textures. So whose design choice was this for god's sake? Sack him RIGHTAWAY!

If I wanted an isometric experience, I'd play Diablo III or something! Jeez man...

The camera needs some "BOUNCE"... some "PERSONALITY"...

A bit like a "Nintendo" game, for example. Where cameras' have "personality", that make the visuals "natural" and "fun" to watch. :)

The current "FOLLOW" action of the camera is "STIFF".... like it's connected to Geralt's "skeleton" by a SOLID titanium rod... THIS, I believe, explains the hitching on horse back due to the imperfect animation loops.

In addition, the current "PAN" action of the camera is ALSO "STIFF"... To that end, it feels like it's a "JOYSTICK EMULATOR" type algorithm... where the camera "panning" speed is RIDGEDLY tied to the deflection angle of the stick, AND... is unevenly "APPROXIMATED" for both the "increase" and "decrease" of pan speed.

This uneven or super stiff treatment for increase and decrease of pan speed causes "hitching" when pan speed drops, ie, stick deflection decreases.

Also, the panning is "emulation like" in that, even when stick deflection/input is static, the movement of the camera (ie; emulated movement of the cursor) is... ummmm... "JUMPY"... ie; not smooth. Like it needs 1980's "smooth scrolling" technology. Hehe, joking, nooooo, just standard 3rd person smooth camera panning. ;)

"Mouse to joystick" emulators have never been as "natural" as a "native" input method, where "mouse movement speed" is... bla bla bla... like what we have here.

/Cutting myself off from explaining it more/ :halt:

Now for a new insight/issue I have not heard anyone discuss:

Background: I use a Logitech Dual Action through x360ce, as it is far superior to "XBOX" controllers as far as the joysticks are concerned. NO mechanical "dead zone", very linear correlation of deflection to actual input, and a "square stick" design. Very much like the control sticks found on quality Radio Control Transmitters. (Not the toy like crap that are XBox controllers, IMHO).

Even so, even though I have 0 dead zone, and perfect linearity, I have had to do this to my sticks control setup for the Witcher 3:

This ^ is ridiculous. Never before have I had to do this with any other game, AND it would basically break the controls of most games.

But in TW3, the "emulation" of joystick movement, designed for toy XBox controllers, is poor. Sorry, it just is badly coded/optimized.

What i mean is; the movement of the sticks near center, but outside the ("xbox") DEAD ZONE , is tooooooo sensitive.

Please USE these graphs shown in the pics to analyze the corrections you need to take to... at least allow more precision near "center stick".

Not for myself, as I already have solved "my" issues with sensitivity, and will have to readjust my setup if you make changes, but because I would like your game to be as NATURAL, FUN AND IMMERSIVE as it can be.... FOR ALL PLAYERS. ;)

Hope my efforts help,
Jay
:hatsoff:

PS: please stop the camera from "snapping" or even "panning" to "behind" when moving, both on foot and on horse back, please. The only time it should pan to "behind" is at FULL GALLOP while on horse back. Thanks :)

Attachments

• Witcher 3 x360ce L thumb.png
    Witcher 3 x360ce L thumb.png
    75 KB · Views: 46
  • Witcher 3 x360ce R thumb.png
    Witcher 3 x360ce R thumb.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hekkton, It isn't focused on the ground here. That happened once to me, but reverted to normal on reloading a save. Camera lines up with the horizon if left alone.

Last edited:
The camera needs some "BOUNCE"... some "PERSONALITY"...
A bit like a "Nintendo" game, for example. Where cameras' have "personality", that make the visuals "natural" and "fun" to watch. :)

The current "FOLLOW" action of the camera is "STIFF".... like it's connected to Geralt's "skeleton" by a SOLID titanium rod... THIS, I believe, explains the hitching on hoarse back due to the imperfect animation loops.

In addition, the current "PAN" action of the camera is ALSO "STIFF"... To that end, it feels like it's a "JOYSTICK EMULATOR" type algorithm... where the camera "panning" speed is RIDGEDLY tied to the deflection angle of the stick, and is unevenly "APPROXIMATED" for both the "increase" and "decrease" of pan speed.

This uneven or super stiff treatment for increase and decrease of pan speed causes "hitching" when pan speed drops, ie, stick deflection decreases.

Also, the panning is "emulation like" in that, even when stick deflection/input is static, the movement of the camera (ie; emulated movement of the cursor) is... ummmm... "JUMPY"... ie; not smooth. Like it needs 1980's "smooth scrolling" technology. Hehe, joking, nooooo, just standard 3rd person smooth camera panning. ;)

"Mouse to joystick" emulators have never been as "natural" as a "native" input method, where "mouse movement speed" is... bla bla bla... like what we have here.

/Cutting myself off from explaining it more/ :halt:

Now for a new insight/issue I have not heard anyone discuss:

Background: I use a Logitech Dual Action through x360ce, as it is far superior to "XBOX" controllers as far as the joysticks are concerned. NO mechanical "dead zone", very linear correlation of deflection to actual input, and a "square stick" design. Very much like the control sticks found on quality Radio Control Transmitters. (Not the toy like crap that are XBox controllers, IMHO).

Even so, even though I have 0 dead zone, and perfect linearity, I have had to do this to my sticks control setup for the Witcher 3:

This ^ is ridiculous. Never before have I had to do this with any other game, AND it would basically break the controls of most games.

But in TW3, the "emulation" of joystick movement, designed for toy XBox controllers, is poor. Sorry, it just is badly coded/optimized.

What i mean is; the movement of the sticks near center, but outside the ("xbox") DEAD ZONE , is tooooooo sensitive.

Please USE these graphs shown in the pics to analyze the corrections you need to take to... at least allow more precision near "center stick".

Not for myself, as I already have solved "my" issues with sensitivity, and will have to readjust my setup if you make changes, but because I would like your game to be as NATURAL, FUN AND IMMERSIVE as it can be.... FOR ALL PLAYERS. ;)

Hope my efforts help,
Jay
:hatsoff:

PS: please stop the camera from "snapping" to "behind" when moving forward on hoarse back, please, thanks :)

Thx Jay will try this out

No Prob'. Let us know your thoughts! :)

PS: re-quote my post as I've made edits. ;)

Oh, two more things:
1. Has anyone had the camera spin around all by itself while on horse back?
2. Has anyone had the camera control randomly invert/reverse its' "X" axis control for a second or two while on horse back?

I have.

Last edited:
The camera problem was almost completely lost in unlocked frame rate noise. Now it's locked on Xbox I can see that the hitching only happens when the stick is moving back to the centre, with both axis affected.

You can avoid it completely by only ever accelerating a turn and then letting go. Not very practical.

Last edited:
Hekkton, It isn't focused on the ground here. That happened once to me, but reverted to normal on reloading a save. Camera lines up with the horizon if left alone.

It is, trust me.

https://youtu.be/BW7dArLU4PQ

And not only in combat. In free roam, the camera always floats above Geralt, resulting in a barely visible horizon. At night, you can't even see the moon without adjusting the camera. This makes the game kinda claustrophobic for me. It's a catastrophe for an open world game.

Please don't say it isn't. Perhaps you don't care as much as I do, but saying it isn't focused on the ground is just false.

It is, trust me.

https://youtu.be/BW7dArLU4PQ

And not only in combat. In free roam, the camera always floats above Geralt, resulting in a barely visible horizon. At night, you can't even see the moon without adjusting the camera. This makes the game kinda claustrophobic for me. It's a catastrophe for an open world game.

Please don't say it isn't. Perhaps you don't care as much as I do, but saying it isn't focused on the ground is just false.
Honestly. This is how it auto adjusts from up and down for me: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/danwarb/video/2732226#

Edit: wrong video.

Last edited:
The camera stutters a lot and brings down my fps whenever I try to dodge, or do a 90,180 and 360 degree turn in combat. Out of combat, there's still some stutter but it's much less than during combat.
PC specs:
i5 3570k 3.4Ghz
8Gb RAM
GTX 970 FTW +
Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

The camera stutters a lot and brings down my fps whenever I try to dodge, or do a 90,180 and 360 degree turn in combat. Out of combat, there's still some stutter but it's much less than during combat.
PC specs:
i5 3570k 3.4Ghz
8Gb RAM
GTX 970 FTW +
Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Edit: Sorry, wrong answer.

But likely it has nothing to do with the issues this thread addresses.

Last edited:
Now it's locked on Xbox I can see that the hitching only happens when the stick is moving back to the centre, with both axis affected.

Sadly on my PS4 it happens all the time. Accelerating, decelerating or holding it at a steady angle. Even just horizontal input.

Sometimes it gets worse with adding vertical movement, sometimes it doesn't. But vertical camera movement by itself is perfectly smooth...

---------- Updated at 08:33 PM ----------

You can see mine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkvmQijlJlM

Sadly on my PS4 it happens all the time. Accelerating, decelerating or holding it at a steady angle. Even just horizontal input.

Sometimes it gets worse with adding vertical movement, sometimes it doesn't. But vertical camera movement by itself is perfectly smooth...

---------- Updated at 08:33 PM ----------

You can see mine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkvmQijlJlM
Yeah, after some more experimenting it seems the rules change depending on where you are. It's really very weird.

Good catch, I always turned it too fast.

For people that have a stutter that's not related to the bug he's talking about like above:

If your on a 970/980 try my magic config in my sig.
If you are on crossfire or SLI try settings frames to unlimited.
Nvidia shadowplay also causes stutter.
Lastly if you barely make specs try to limit frames to 30 FPS in game.

Good catch, I always turned it too fast.

For people that have a stutter that's not related to the bug he's talking about like above:

If your on a 970/980 try my magic config in my sig.
If you are on crossfire or SLI try settings frames to unlimited.
Nvidia shadowplay also causes stutter.
Lastly if you barely make specs try to limit frames to 30 FPS in game.

Limiting to 30 FPS either in game or externally makes the camera stutter much, much worse for me on my 970.

Limiting to 30 FPS either in game or externally makes the camera stutter much, much worse for me on my 970.

That's because your on a 970 which you need to use the magic config ;) Limiting can cause stutter on the higher end ones and SLI.
Message me or post in my sig if you want I don't want to derail the thread.

That's because your on a 970 which you need to use the magic config ;) Limiting can cause stutter on the higher end ones and SLI.
Message me or post in my sig if you want I don't want to derail the thread.

I've actually used your exact config earlier from that thread, and my camera stuttering is much worse at locked 30 than locked 60.

I've actually used your exact config earlier from that thread, and my camera stuttering is much worse at locked 30 than locked 60.

Hmm then maybe you have a separate problem going on, maybe it's running too hot or you cpu/ram is having a hard time keeping up? Not sure
I hope it helped some! I wish you goodluck!

!@#$%^the horse i'm going to play,lol.

Walking around seems to do just fine.( Cheat Engine FOV,it's nice to have it for that reason ATM)

yeah i not able to hold of playing even know it ruins it, waited so long and have nothing else to play, but i am taking as long as possible, i find i can get used to it, if i try not to turn the camera slowly or move it at an exact speeed, ridiculas thing to have to do really but oh well

Top Bottom