The Skyrim effect

+
Now.. NOW!!! we just Bethesda, Bioware and CD Projekt Red to join forces to create the ultimate RPG ever.

Witcher like world with story mixed in with Bioware's mass effect/dragon age character depth, development and romance and loyalties with companions and with Skyrims open sandboxiness and perks and character creation and house ownership and and and and and and and and and *flat lines*

*this is meant as joke.
*ok not really but i can dream.

Completely agree on the CDPR/Bethesda fusion game. Let's just keep Bioware out of this, we don't want the main protagonist to be waving the American flag. I actually think that Bioware's characters are a bit like action movie characters from the 80s :p

I didn't like the Elder Scrolls when a friend gave me Morrowind to play back in 2006, and didn't like Skyrim when I bought it for less than $10. I couldn't make it past 10 mins lol. Mainly because of the combat. It's not my kind of game. I do like the main song from Skyrim though. The Witcher though, is amazing, albeit not perfect, but still love it. Wish CDPR would make a 4th.

Skyrim in its general way is not to compare with TW3, I agree.

However both games suffer from much content without deepness. I am furiously awaiting mods for TW3 to change that.

I also would say that Mass Effect 3 should not be compared with the Witcher, as ME3 was a mission based shooter-RPG.

Lets be fair here, those screenshots are from a heavily modded Morrowind. That's not what Morrowind looked like out of the box.
That's exactly the point I was making --Skyrim is neither the largest nor the most moddable Elder Scrolls game. So why does it get so much acclaim?

Last edited:
That's the whole point of my post --Skyrim is neither the largest nor easily moddable Elder Scrolls game. So why does it get so much acclaim?

Love or hate Skyrim, it is but only a handful of video games that has attained 20million plus in unit sales which is a huge number so obviously they did something right. They hit 7million units in sales just the first week of launch.

If redkit 2 works out right, this game will go a LONG way. If that fails, then it will be another play the story and move on game :/ If they give the same freedom with redkit 2 as they did with skyrim I would say it's a good contender. People tend to forget how skyrim was BEFORE the mods.

Love or hate Skyrim, it is but only a handful of video games that has attained 20million plus in unit sales which is a huge number so obviously they did something right. They hit 7million units in sales just the first week of launch.
Sales are not a direct indication of a game's quality. There are a plenty of great games that sell poorly, and plenty of mediocre games that sell like hotcakes.

Skyrim is a great game, I am by no means denying that. I'm just questioning why people act like the last few Elder Scrolls games didn't do the exact same things Skyrim did.

If redkit 2 works out right, this game will go a LONG way. If that fails, then it will be another play the story and move on game :/ If they give the same freedom with redkit 2 as they did with skyrim I would say it's a good contender. People tend to forget how skyrim was BEFORE the mods.

Creation kit had nothing to do with Skyrim's end game sales numbers. Only 14pct of sales were PC and they hit 7million units in sales just the first week of launch...

Creation kit had nothing to do with Skyrim's end game sales numbers. Only 14pct of sales were PC and they hit 7million units in sales just the first week of launch...

Big sales don't mean much, that's like saying the kardashians show is the good show because it's watched by the most people.. Common... Cooooommmon lol

Big sales don't mean much, that's like saying the kardashians show is the good show because it's watched by the most people.. Common... Cooooommmon lol

which has little to do with the claim you made that redkit will be the driving force end all be all to Witcher 3's success. They will have hit their peak in sales numbers long before the Redkit is released.

Sales are not a direct indication of a game's quality. There are a plenty of great games that sell poorly, and plenty of mediocre games that sell like hotcakes.

Skyrim is a great game, I am by no means denying that. I'm just questioning why people act like the last few Elder Scrolls games didn't do the exact same things Skyrim did.

Exactly, the same game over and over upgraded, I don't think the story even really changed did it? Not saying it's a bad game, but other than the engine it wasn't exactly something new?

---------- Updated at 01:29 PM ----------

which has little to do with the claim you made that redkit will be the driving force end all be all to Witcher 3's success. They will have hit their peak in sales numbers long before the Redkit is released.

It will matter Skyrim had a HUGE following, just like Fallout 4, the game could suck and it will probably outsell the Witcher 3 because the fanbase, for CDPR the Redkit 2 can help with numbers a ton because right now it's one of the most visually advanced video game engines out now and they are going to use a upgraded version for their new project. Gotta remember the witcher 1 barely got off the ground and was almost never made.

Last edited:
Now.. NOW!!! we just Bethesda, Bioware and CD Projekt Red to join forces to create the ultimate RPG ever.

Witcher like world with story mixed in with Bioware's mass effect/dragon age character depth, development and romance and loyalties with companions and with Skyrims open sandboxiness and perks and character creation and house ownership and and and and and and and and and *flat lines*

*this is meant as joke.
*ok not really but i can dream.

No offense but I haven't seen BioWare doing anything better than CD Projekt RED. In my opinion The Witcher has better, more realistic and deeper characters than Dragon Age or Mass Effect. BioWare's characters all feel like tokens to me. I can already imagine what BioWare meetings are like:

Dev 1: "Oh we need a bad-ass thug, let's add one! Oh a strong female character you said? Let's add one of those too!
Dev 2: "And lets not forget to please the LGBT community by adding at least a few homosexuals here and there."
Dev 1: "Ah yeah ofcourse! And ofcourse we need a smart character and a funny character as well to balance it all out."
Dev 2: "Yeah, awesome, let's do this!"
Dev 1: "Man we are so diverse! I'm sure everyone will be pleased now!"
Dev 2: "Yeah totally!"

Last edited:

http://steamspy.com/app/72850

According to the last Bethesda spot about, Skyrim sold about 16M in total, since then (2012) no other ads and that's the retail, even the 14% was refered to the retail.

What made the sales of Skyrim? High impact and financial marketing first, Oblivion, his predecessor was the first open world arpg for consoles, so; but that as other say isn't a good quality indicator, before Oblivion there was the Gothic saga, a really good open world arpg that sold really low compared to the Bethesda franchise, and the response of why still the same, marketing, but in the opposite sense for this case since the PC game world affair wasn't curated and funded as the console business, since now..
The only way to ensure a good launch profit was a great media coverage, on the paper mostly, but times are changed, advertising, events, metacritic and similars evolved the procedures, even some developers signed some metrical terms for their profit under a publisher (Obsidian for Fallout New Vegas for example); all this "bla bla bla" to say that if a journalist tomorrow publish that with the RedKit you will make a miracle the game will sell a lot in a short time, I'm sure of that, if he say it's a mess the game will sell maybe less in a long term, that's the beauty of the modern marketing promotions.

Take everything as a personal opinion, but think just about the modgate for Skyrim, think about how much Bethesda could hearn for a single mod by justifying that in a tool release (nerfed tool that need third party software for a lot of modding production), and believe me they are diabolic in their marketing section just to think something of that or in such long term high profits,if the modding reaction/production since the release wasn't so high they wouldn't ever risk so much for an entire piece of market.

Well now sorry for the off topic.

There is only 3 good thing about TW3 story,music and atmosphere noting more.

Since Skyrim so many people expect games to be shaped exactly to their liking. To be wide open, to let you forge your play experiance. Not all games need to be that way, things like the story suffer immensely from that choice.

So true :(

Love the story since W2. These are some characters ill never forget, from Geralt to Letho, from Triss to Ciri. But, from my POV, it could´ve been a bit harder and balanced combat wise.

Top Bottom