Fate of Novigrad - Who did you guys side with and why? (Dijkstra vs Roche vs Radovid)

+
Strong unifed North? And who's gonna do that? Dijkstra? Someone who has never been a governor or politician and belongs to the most hated country in the Northern Realms, Redania?
He was Redania's spymaster, so he's certainly got the experience, and his ability to create a powerful criminal organization from scratch demonstrates that he's an extremely capable leader.The Dijkstra ending is IMO the best political ending, so he's obviously got what it takes. Two of the three possible political endings have a dominant Redania in the North. And if hatred of a country was a dominant force in politics, we wouldn't have to worry about Redania, Nilfgaard, or any other place for long.

Also, a lot of people seem to think that a NIlfgaardian victory is inevitable, but I don't take that message from the games. It's one possible outcome, but not the only one. We've seen a lot of the dirty politics and petty squabbling of the North in the last couple of games, but very little of the internal structure of Nilfgaard. Considering that Emhyr gets assassinated if things go wrong, we can safely say that they've got problems that are a hair's breadth away from manifesting. That, in addition to other unknowns such as a potentially much larger mage pool in the North makes me doubt the invincibility of Nilfgaard. And again, I'm not saying that they couldn't take the North, just that it's not a foregone conclusion.

Just finished the game and I'm only hearing about the outcomes for this quest now. I had no idea you could side with either Dijkstra or Roche. When Dijkstra wanted info out of me or whatever it was, I knocked him down and wrecked his leg again.

Radovid went on to get Novigrad and just be an ass (did beat Nilfgaard though). Crazy that that could've gone a totally different way. Makes me want to do another playthrough now. First time I was all about looking after Ciri. Got the ending where she becomes a witcher. Next time through I might go for the more detached Geralt.

Dij was also one of the Regency Council of Redania.

He's also a Count.

Dij has a legitimate claim to the throne too.

He just doesn't act like a Royal.

Dij was also one of the Regency Council of Redania.

He's also a Count.

Dij has a legitimate claim to the throne too.

He just doesn't act like a Royal.

Actually, Dijkstra doesn't have legitimate claim to throne - it was stated, that he wasn't noble, and previous king of Redania give him title to avoid whispering in the court.

However, he was key figure in government of Redania before first and second Nilfgardian War (in Witcher 3:Wild Hunt we have 3rd war). He was de facto ruler of Redania in 2nd Nilfgardian War (rest of reagancy council was blackmailed by him figurants). It was also stated, that he never used his position to private gain.

In other word,, Dijkstra has more than takes to be good ruler of northern realm - I believe, that it is the best solution of the conflict. Radovid is madman and anyone who reads to books would never support Nilfgaard

Curious to hear the choices you picked and why for the fate of novigrad.

It is quite clear radovid ruling novigrad is the unpopular option but it seems the choice between Dijkstra and Roche is a toss up for most people, no clear popular choice between the 2.

Who did you choose and why?

:hmm:

I agreed with Dijkstra but sided with Roche. Roche and Ves was there for me when I needed them the most while Dijkstra told me to go f**k myself. There was no way I was going to leave them to be killed .

Actually, Dijkstra doesn't have legitimate claim to throne - it was stated, that he wasn't noble, and previous king of Redania give him title to avoid whispering in the court.

However, he was key figure in government of Redania before first and second Nilfgardian War (in Witcher 3:Wild Hunt we have 3rd war). He was de facto ruler of Redania in 2nd Nilfgardian War (rest of reagancy council was blackmailed by him figurants). It was also stated, that he never used his position to private gain.

In other word,, Dijkstra has more than takes to be good ruler of northern realm - I believe, that it is the best solution of the conflict. Radovid is madman and anyone who reads to books would never support Nilfgaard

I stand corrected. *bows head*

I sided with Roche and Ves, out of loyalty and fondness. Funny really going in i was planning on thwarting Nilfgaard, then i found out Radovid was a threat to sorceresses and non humans. Left with a bitter taste in my mouth so next time round poor Roche and Ves are probably going to suffer. Might end up being like Witcher 2 where my preference shifted to the Iorveth path after initially going the Roche one.

I can't agree with the last sentence. Nilfgaard has both pros and cons. It is true that Nilfgaard is a quite a totalitarian regime and Nilfgaardians are arrogant and bigheaded. But on the other hand, in Nilfgaard there are higher living standards, rule of law and non-humans are not persecuted. The only good reason to let Dijkstra rule Redania is to safeguard Kovir from being conquered by Nilfgaard. Long live Kovir!

I can't agree with the last sentence. Nilfgaard has both pros and cons. It is true that Nilfgaard is a quite a totalitarian regime and Nilfgaardians are arrogant and bigheaded. But on the other hand, in Nilfgaard there are higher living standards, rule of law and non-humans are not persecuted. The only good reason to let Dijkstra rule Redania is to safeguard Kovir from being conquered by Nilfgaard. Long live Kovir!
Actually Nilfgaards really noble in some moments in the books, for example -
‘You have the audacity to talk about dignity, scoundrel?’ shouted Coinneach Da Reo.
‘We spilled blood for you, curse Dh’oine! This is how you repay us? You send us to the oppressors of the North? As if we were criminals? Murderers?’
The cul de sac of elves burst into a grim laugh, thundering between the stone walls.‘Furthermore, I want to warn you,’ Hamilcar Danza said curtly, ‘that we will only send thirty-two officers to the Nordlings. We will not surrender any of the soldiers, who you commanded, not one.’
The laughter ceased as if cut by a knife.

Dijkstra is not as smart as he thinks. Last time he messed with Geralt, he ended up with broken leg. Back then, Geralt was unarmed, alone and Dijsktra was accompanied by almost ten Redanian guards.

This time Geralt is armed and has a special forces commander with one of his best soldiers by his side. And Dijkstra's henchmen don't even try to use some crossbows/bows?

I also chose Roche, he still helped me at Kaer Morhen even though Letho was there too, and also I chose Roche in TW2 and he's the one that helped Geralt got out of prison.

I like Dijkstra but Dijkstra didn't help me at Kaer Morhen so I waved him bye bye with a sword. I hate Radovid because of his racist guards.

In the end, context mattered and I've redone my ending for the quest several times.

Roche and Thaler sold the rest of the North up the River for Temeria.

It was a disgusting betrayal and I really wanted Geralt to be able to express his shock at it.

There WAS no bad guy in that scene because Dijkstra was absolutely right that they could win the war if they fought on, not just for Temeria but all lands of the North.

My final decision?

Geralt said, "You're all mad."

His friendship with Roche ended the moment he didn't bother to say that his plan was to surrender the North to its greatest enemies for slightly more favorable terms.

I sided with Roche as well. I couldn't just let them be slaughtered like that.

Dijkstra might have made for somewhat of a good king but it would probably only lead to a new war that would bring more suffering to the normal people. In the end for most farmers in that time it doesn't really matter if their ruler is vassal to the Emperor if Nilfgaard or not. It is not like they would have a say in laws and politics either way.

I sided with Roche as well. I couldn't just let them be slaughtered like that.

Dijkstra might have made for somewhat of a good king but it would probably only lead to a new war that would bring more suffering to the normal people. In the end for most farmers in that time it doesn't really matter if their ruler is vassal to the Emperor if Nilfgaard or not. It is not like they would have a say in laws and politics either way.

To me, I believe rolling over for Nilfgaard just isn't worth it but it still felt horrible. An emotional gut punch like the tree quest.

So, I have two points that no one has brought up yet, that may counter some of the arguments people have been making here. Reading The lesser Evil from The Last Wish seems to be the best context for this decision.

First, people say Geralt is neutral in principle. For the games, that depends how you've been playing him. He gets pretty involved in the politics in Witcher 2, depending on how you play out that story. So I have to assume people think Geralt is neutral due to how he is in the novels. I've read through all but the second half of the last novel now. In the novels, Geralt makes arguments for why he should stay neutral, it's true. It is explained that the 'witcher's code' is basically made up, and is a way for the witchers to decide how much they want to get involved. How much Geralt wants to get involved is a story arc within the novels. Around the end of Time of Contempt (I forget when exactly) Ciri is being passionate and indignant about Geralt hiding behind his neutality. For me, the arc concludes with him changing his values and deciding it's worth getting involved sometimes. Maybe not when there is no right choice, like with the conflict between the elves and the humans in the first game, but other times it is worth it. That's why for me Geralt decides, in Dijkstra's words, not to "ride the current to hell" and actually help kill Radovid.

Now the second point is about the choice between Roche and Dijkstra. Some people have made some very good arguments for both sides, so I'll try to say only what I don't think has been taken into account. I believe that Dijkstra isn't wrong in what he is doing. I also believe that if Roche 'n' Co were to surrender to Dij, Dij would either imprison them, or exile them. They do know Dij was behind the assassination, which is a problem for Dij. Either way, the Temerian patriots are too patriotic, and would fight to the last man regardless. Geralt is not a Temerian patriot, to my mind. This is where I believe he would draw the line for fighting for Roche. He would do a lot to save these people, they have had his back and he respects them. Same goes for dijkstra I think. It's a fight between two friends. That being said I don't believe Geralt forms friendships that fast. More I would say they are all allies he respects. I don't think he would feel obliged to fight for Roche n co when they aren't fighting for their lives, but instead are fighting entirely out of patriotic fervour. End of points I don't think have been taken into account.

I believe Geralt is very much for a plan that will hold off Nilfguaardian slavery and imperialism. I love Thaler. He's like my favourite character in the whole 3 games and all the books. I respect Roche and Ves, though they are a bit stupid I reckon. Not unintelligent, just stupidly dedicated to their country. If I could see one thing changed about this game, it would be that Thaler is imprisoned or exiled instead of killed. I believe he is enough of a pragmatist to see a bigger picture. Roche and Ves of course would still die valiantly fighting for (dead) king and country. Either way, I choose not to try to save the poor brave patriots.

Last edited:
So, I have two points that no one has brought up yet, that may counter some of the arguments people have been making here. Reading The lesser Evil from The Last Wish seems to be the best context for this decision.

First, people say Geralt is neutral in principle. For the games, that depends how you've been playing him. He gets pretty involved in the politics in Witcher 2, depending on how you play out that story. So I have to assume people think Geralt is neutral due to how he is in the novels. I've read through all but the second half of the last novel now. In the novels, Geralt makes arguments for why he should stay neutral, it's true. It is explained that the 'witcher's code' is basically made up, and is a way for the witchers to decide how much they want to get involved. How much Geralt wants to get involved is a story arc within the novels. Around the end of Time of Contempt (I forget when exactly) Ciri is being passionate and indignant about Geralt hiding behind his neutality. For me, the arc concludes with him changing his values and deciding it's worth getting involved sometimes. Maybe not when there is no right choice, like with the conflict between the elves and the humans in the first game, but other times it is worth it. That's why for me Geralt decides, in Dijkstra's words, not to "ride the current to hell" and actually help kill Radovid.

Now the second point is about the choice between Roche and Dijkstra. Some people have made some very good arguments for both sides, so I'll try to say only what I don't think has been taken into account. I believe that Dijkstra isn't wrong in what he is doing. I also believe that if Roche 'n' Co were to surrender to Dij, Dij would either imprison them, or exile them. They do know Dij was behind the assassination, which is a problem for Dij. Either way, the Temerian patriots are too patriotic, and would fight to the last man regardless. Geralt is not a Temerian patriot, to my mind. This is where I believe he would draw the line for fighting for Roche. He would do a lot to save these people, they have had his back and he respects them. Same goes for dijkstra I think. It's a fight between two friends. That being said I don't believe Geralt forms friendships that fast. More I would say they are all allies he respects. I don't think he would feel obliged to fight for Roche n co when they aren't fighting for their lives, but instead are fighting entirely out of patriotic fervour. End of points I don't think have been taken into account.

I believe Geralt is very much for a plan that will hold off Nilfguaardian slavery and imperialism. I love Thaler. He's like my favourite character in the whole 3 games and all the books. I respect Roche and Ves, though they are a bit stupid I reckon. Not unintelligent, just stupidly dedicated to their country. If I could see one thing changed about this game, it would be that Thaler is imprisoned or exiled instead of killed. I believe he is enough of a pragmatist to see a bigger picture. Roche and Ves of course would still die valiantly fighting for (dead) king and country. Either way, I choose not to try to save the poor brave patriots.

The reason I will always save Roche and Ves is because they have saved and helped Geralt many times over past 2 games. He kinda owes them.

Witcher 2
- Helped Geralt escape and believed his story.
- Saved his life in the Nilfgaardian/Kaedweni camp - (even though I always choose Iorveth path he still helps me)

Witcher 3
- Helps Geralt find Whoreson to in turn find Ciri
-Helps fight for Ciri at Kaer Morhen
-Saves him from Radovids guards when he is unarmed.

I agree they are over patriotic, but Geralt owes them, they have helped him a lot.

and Dikstra and Geralt aren't exactly friends.

Roche.Dijkstra pissed me off so much with his OOC behaviour,that I just had to put him out of his misery.

Top Bottom