Collector's Edition Statue problems

+
Alright, here goes. I tried to snap some pictures of mine in decent lighting for others to compare theirs too. In all honesty, I think this is probably one of the good ones - most of the heavily exposed areas are painted properly, there are no glaring errors on the details like silver paint around the chain or red on the griffin's beak, and the faces look good. These pics have the good stuff, I'll add some with problems I noticed in the next post. Please ignore the styrofoam chips, I really thought I had cleaned it before I took the pics, but apparently I'm f'n blind.

Attachments

• statue4.jpg
    statue4.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 100
  • statue3.jpg
    statue3.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 107
  • statue2.jpg
    statue2.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 216
  • statue1.jpg
    statue1.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 220
Here are the problems I've noticed - many less exposed areas either have no detail at all, such as the throat or the underside of the griffin's mane, or they have a very minimal drybrush job applied to them. The orange feathers on what wil lbe the back side the way most people are going to display the thing (next to the infamous wound with the square blood, which mine also has, but it's blended around the edges and looks ok) just have some orange paint slopped over them with visible brush marks.

Like I said yesterday, mine really looks good as long as you don't scrutinize it with a magnifying glass - keep in mind that all of these pictures are closeups and you're looking at things bigger than they actually are in real life. But corners were definitely cut, and if I were CDPR, I'd be pretty pissed at the company that makes these because clearly this doesn't look like the preview specimens of the statue, which had a much more careful paintjob.

Attachments

• statue5.jpg
    statue5.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 82
  • statue6.jpg
    statue6.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 105
  • statue7.jpg
    statue7.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 84
  • statue8.jpg
    statue8.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 76
I got so annoyed with the paintjob on my statue that I decided to do some customizing (see attached images for results). I basically repainted the entirety of Geralt's torso, including the doublet (was a mix of dark green and almost black splotches on my statue for some reason) and most of the leather parts to eliminate the majority of the paint errors. The face was a blobby mess of red and black around Geralt's eyes and mouth and the hairline was all unfinished, so I ended up redoing most of all that + I gave him some eyebrows and added texture to the back of his head. I also repainted the silver sword (was completely black), added a leather hilt to the sheathed sword on his back, gave the griffin a red tongue and removed the pink stain from his butt, and increased the number of orange feathers in the front. I also tried giving Geralt those dark greenish laces with golden tips on his gloves (as seen here: http://cdn.vrworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Witcher-3-12.jpg). Not sure if I succeeded completely, but I kinda like it. :) Btw. the leather parts are kinda shiny, so they almost look like they have white paint on them in a few spots - it's only reflections.

The sculpt on this thing is gorgeous, too bad they completely butchered the piece with the paintjob. Btw. this was my first time customizing a figure/statue (borrowed a ton of paints from my Warhammer loving friend), so it's nowhere near a professional paintjob but it was a lot of fun and I like it a whole lot more now.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I purchased in US and this is the response from WB today.

"Greetings,

Looking over the pictures you provided to us your statue is in fact the same as the replacement statues that we have over here. We will not be able to send you a replacement statue.

Best Regards,
Roger W.
Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment
Technical Support - Tier 2"

Um no!!! So sorry about the replacement statue they have, but that's THEIR problem. The status I received is NOWHERE NEAR the quality of the statue listed in the collector's edition and they need to do something about this.

ATTENTION CDPR: This is YOUR problem!!! I don't care who distributed my statue to me, it could be the King of Londinia for all I care, I purchased a game from YOU and YOU need to make this right. I will be writing a not-so-happy response to WB and if they blow me off, which I expect they will, I will be contacting CD PROJEKT RED. CD PROJEKT RED needs to make this right!!!!!!

Sadgrad, you should anyways mail CDPR to collector_items@cdprojektred.com (they asked people to do it tho) if you have not done it yet.

The sculpt on this thing is gorgeous, too bad they completely butchered the piece with the paintjob. Btw. this was my first time customizing a figure/statue (borrowed a ton of paints from my Warhammer loving friend), so it's nowhere near a professional paintjob but it was a lot of fun and I like it a whole lot more now.

Man you did a great job there, if I ever make it to put my hands on a CE, I'd better ask one of the guys here to paint it hahaha.

@ Sadgrad
Fing joking arnt they!!! if all WB statues are rejects too,then they should return theirs also to the 3rd rate company that produced them.
we know good statues are around as some images have been posted by others,even though they are nothing like those used for marketing

Still heard nothing from Namco about mine,into the 3rd day since my email.
I knew they'd fob us off :(

@Straust all CDPR do is give the publishers email address and tell us to contact them so in effect shirking responsibility.

@CloudyMemory great job .wish mine looked like that,
:( Paint isn't gonna help mine out with bits missing and the whole thing covered in air bubble holes.even the silver writing on the base of mine is bad,with half of it missing and smudged.

Last edited:
STRAUST, I DID email CDPR at both the customer service and collector's edition emails and both replied within two days telling me to contact WB for US purchases which I immediately did. I contacted WB at the email CDPR provided and this was WB's reply after a few days. Needless to say, I've replied right back to WB that this was absolutely unacceptable and now I wait to see their next response.

Broken Statue

Hello, I am sure this is not in the right area, but I picked up my PC collectors edition today from GameStop. I opened up the statue, and Geralt was completely broken off the griffin. There was no damage to the box, maybe happened during packing??

Hope someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Hi everyone
I bought the collector edition of The Witcher 3, she’s great, no argue with that.
But the big problem is the statue wich is broken, the paint also is quite.. ugly

I asked CDProjekt by mail, they told me to see with Namco Bandai and/or the seller, but the seller doesn’t have anymore collector’s edition, and he's telling me to see with Namco Bandai, Namco Bandai tells me to see with the seller so I currently don't know what to do ? I love your work at CDProjekt and I love The Witcher but 150€ is quite expensive for having a broken statue..

It's been a couple of days since and I still have any answer so I try here, see where it goes..

It's a shame to hear that this is happening with the CE, I was too excited when I saw it, and even with all this trouble, I still wish I could put my hands in a brand new Collectors Edition, no matter what (at a good price xD).

Hope you guys get it fixed, and your geralts get the surgery they need.

Let's not be too hasty, and give them some time too =).

Did you clean off existing paint before painting over? If so, what did you use?
My biggest issue is with the face, but I'm not sure if I should first clean some smudges off,or just paint over it. But then the paint layer might be too thick. I do not have any experience painting on figures :).

Did you clean off existing paint before painting over? If so, what did you use?
My biggest issue is with the face, but I'm not sure if I should first clean some smudges off,or just paint over it. But then the paint layer might be too thick. I do not have any experience painting on figures :).

Nah, I just painted over it. I don't even know what type of paint they used originally and cleaning it off would be a huge pain. I don't think you need to worry about the layer being too thick, the original layer was pretty thin to begin with. What I did with the face was mix a skin color that closely resembled the original and would blend in nicely, then repainted the areas I didn't like and finally went over the whole face with a skin tone wash to give it some shading. If it's your first time doing this, I'd recommend watching some videos on youtube or reading some stuff on the internet about various techniques, or even trying it out on some cheap old figure first.

i got a reply asking for my address and phone number but nothing after that, so hopefully that's a good sign and they are just really slow

Top Bottom