Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
True but my point is while the game was inspired by the book , its its own thing as well , im pretty sure a lot of the characters are very different from their book counterpart , Triss being a prime example.

Well,appearance wise she's very different,but personality wise not that much.

True but my point is while the game was inspired by the book , its its own thing as well , im pretty sure a lot of the characters are very different from their book counterpart , Triss being a prime example.

---------- Updated at 01:04 PM ----------

Thats book Lambert , im talking about in game Lambert , that one doesnt hate Triss.

Game-Lambert didn't like Triss either. Haven't you played TW1?

And actually, I would say all major characters are the same in the games as they are in the books. It is really just Triss who has been glorified in the games.

Well,appearance wise she's very different,but personality wise not that much.

Triss is a sweetheart that is always there for people in need in game , are you saying she is like that in the books as well?

---------- Updated at 01:09 PM ----------

And actually, I would say all major characters are the same in the games as they are in the books. It is really just Triss who has been glorified in the games.

I dont recall Lambert hating triss in any of the games , if you got a quote that would be nice. been a while since i touched the W1.

TW1 doesn't count since Triss was basically Yen 2.0 so Lambert was more hating on Yennefer than Triss
What do you mean glorified? Sounds salty

TW1 doesn't count since Triss was basically Yen 2.0 so Lambert was more hating on Yennefer than Triss

Well, that is your opinion. But, you try your best to denounce Yen, the books and TW1 in every post, in order to elevate Triss.

---------- Updated at 02:15 PM ----------

Triss is a sweetheart that is always there for people in need in game , are you saying she is like that in the books as well?

No, she is not like that in the books. She is the one who is too afraid to do anything in the books, while Yennefer risks her life trying to find Ciri. Triss hid behind the Lodge all the time, and the Lodge had sick plans for Ciri. And at the end of Lady of the Lake Triss even considers running away from the fighting when Yen is wounded and Geralt is dying. As I have discussed way back in this thread.

Anyways i dont think any of this makes a difference, if you hated the in game version of Yen you'd hate the book version of her as well so not sure why the books keep getting brought up.

Well, then that is their problem. CDPR clearly writes the games with the books as the history.

And in one of your above posts, you clearly misunderstand the concept of canon. The games aren't canon means that everything that happens in the games is not the true continuation of the books. But the books are canon for the games, meaning that everything that happened in the books also happened in the games, despite the fact that the games aren't canon.

Yes they write with the books as inspiration for the games, not as history for the games. The only history that actually exists in the games is what they actually say in the games, everything else from the books can be ignored. If they wanted it to be part of the history for the games, they would have put it in the games, I doubt very much CDPR expected every player to have read the books, or even assumed as much.

What I just said above pretty much nullifies what you said about canon and my understanding of it. Only the stuff from the books that was actually stated in the games is canon for the games.

Triss for the most part is a nice person in the books,but she's also very weak-willed and a bit of a coward.Because of that she made some shitty decisions and betrayed her friends,when they needed her.Triss is much stronger and braver in the games,but that's a logical conclusion to her character arc in the books

Well, that is your opinion. But, you try your best to denounce Yen, the books and TW1 in every post, in order to elevate Triss.

---------- Updated at 02:15 PM ----------

No, she is not like that in the books. She is the one who is too afraid to do anything in the books, while Yennefer risks her life trying to find Ciri. Triss hid behind the Lodge all the time, and the Lodge had sick plans for Ciri. And at the end of Lady of the Lake Triss even considers running away from the fighting when Yen is wounded and Geralt is dying. As I have discussed way back in this thread.

I am aware that she is different in the books , i only asked that question to reinforce my earlier point that some characters are different from their book counterpart.

Anyways i dont think any of this makes a difference, if you hated the in game version of Yen you'd hate the book version of her as well so not sure why the books keep getting brought up.

No, I am not so sure that would be the case. Because if people read the books they will understand her character better and the reasons for why she might behave a certain way or not. You can read my analysis of Yen here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1716138&viewfull=1#post1716138

Yeah, i hear she is even worse in the books but I see people using the books to try to say Yen is a good person which makes no sense if she is even worse in the books.
i don't know what to believe.

Being treated poorly is not a good excuse for acting badly yourself. A person of strong character would not let others treatment of them affect how they treat others. If how she is treated badly is the excuse for her behaviour then it shows she is a weak person who is now lashing out at others because of how she was treated, not a good person

It is a good explanation why she always tries to be in control and try to control those around her though. Still, this only shows her to be even worse of a person.

All that being said, it really does seem like she truly loves Geralt, not just using him for her own means. that is very endearing in my opinion. Shows she at least has the capacity to be a good person. i love grey characters.

Last edited:

In the prologue of TW1 Triss and her interactions with other witchers were the same as they were in the books.Triss turned into Trissefer in act 3 of the game.

Yeah, i hear she is even worse in the books but I see people using the books to try to say Yen is a good person which makes no sense if she is even worse in the books.

That is so not true.

---------- Updated at 02:22 PM ----------

Can't we just agree that everybody should go and read the Yennefer of Vengerberg thread? Read and learn about her. But, let's keep that thread free from Triss and Yen vs. Triss wars, like this thread.

No, I am not so sure that would be the case. Because if people read the books they will understand her character better and the reasons for why she might behave a certain way or not. You can read my analysis of Yen here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1716138&viewfull=1#post1716138

I read that thread actually but it doesnt change my opinion of her, i always knew that everything she did ( even in game ) was to save Ciri, i just have problems with her type of personality , she has no respect for the people around her for the most part , she is bitchy and the end always justifies the means with her , no matter her past thats not a behavior i want to be around , i however understand that some people do not mind that and are able to look past it , i am not ...its just a matter of preference really. There isnt a right or wrong here.

I read that thread actually but it doesnt change my opinion of her, i always knew that everything she did ( even in game ) was to save Ciri, i just have problems with her type of personality , she has no respect for the people around her for the most part , she is bitchy and the end always justifies the means with her , no matter her past thats not a behavior i want to be around , i however understand that some people do not mind that and are able to look past it , i am not ...its just a matter of preference really. There isnt a right or wrong here.

I'm sorry, but, that's quite shallow thinking. So, just shrug her off as "bitchy", without actually caring for why she might behave like that? Her back story is what makes the character. Not her behavior. And what makes Yennefer the most nuanced and well-developed character in the saga is her back story and past.

People who told you she is worse in the books are either pretty immature and think if a woman is not totally submissive to her partner, then she is a b*tch, or didn't read the books at all.

Being treated poorly is not a good excuse for acting badly yourself. A person of strong character would not let others treatment of them affect how they treat others. If how she is treated badly is the excuse for her behaviour then it shows she is a weak person who is now lashing out at others because of how she was treated, not a good person

You must be surrounded by saints then. Newsflash, all people have flaws, which mostly are rooted in their childhood. If your childhood was traumatic, you would have harder time coming to terms with the abuse you suffered from. That if you have a good psychological care, which you won't experience in the Witcher world. Besides, sorceresses are not supposed to show or talk about their weaknesses. To quote the words of archmistress and Yennefer's mentor, Tissaia de Vries, a good sorceress cannot cry.

I'm sorry, but, that's quite shallow thinking. So, just shrug her off as "bitchy", without actually caring for why she might behave like that? Her back story is what makes the character. Not her behavior. And what makes Yennefer the most nuanced and well-developed character in the saga is her back story and past.

If they wanted that to be a game players judgement of her then they should have put that stuff in the game. I am sorry, but I am a firm believer in the idea that if they didn't put it in the game, then they did not intend for it to be part of her character. They can't assume nor expect all players would have read the books. And since this forum is about the games, not the books, anything that happened in the books but was not mentioned in the games is meaningless.

Where did i imply that she is not a great character? i didnt , doesnt mean i have to like her as a person, her past doesnt excuse her present behavior is all i am saying , for me at least , i mean why dont we free criminals from prisons because , you know , maybe they had abusive parents who made their childhood hell so they turned to crime later in life? ( extreme example perhaps but the concept is the same ) , is Yen the only one in Geralt's entourage who had it tough ? nope she is not.

As Geralt himself puts it in game she " could stand to be nice sometimes " and im pretty sure he knows more of her past than any of us.

Last edited:
If they wanted that to be a game players judgement of her then they should have put that stuff in the game. I am sorry, but I am a firm believer in the idea that if they didn't put it in the game, then they did not intend for it to be part of her character. They can't assume nor expect all players would have read the books. And since this forum is about the games, not the books, anything that happened in the books but was not mentioned in the games is meaningless.

I agreed I don't care about the books I can only judge Yennefer (and the other characters) based on the games
And in TW3 I didn't like her at all, she seemed self absorbed, bitchy and just annoying

the sad past thing sounds like a bad excuse

Top Bottom