Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
Lol, Triss is nice in the sense she is polite to people, but she clearly lacks a backbone and allows herself to be manipulated by stronger people. She had fallen for Geralt because he was the forbidden fruit, a source of pain, shame and guilt, which, according to the monologue she gave herself in Kaer Morhen at the beginning of the first book, she sought for. There is nothing pure about their relationship.

Let me guess a book fan? lol
Yen no matter what terrible things she does is of course still "good" and complex and deserves Geralt but if its Triss of course the relationship isn't pure

Book fans pls

Lazy writing on their part. They wanted to let the non-book readers know that their relationship was turbulent, and to outside characters it appeared outright crazy. So, by having the other characters constantly picking on Yen, the non-book reader will think "Oh, I suppose she is a bitch". Lazy writing. But, also proof that there weren't enough time to tell their rich back story, meaning that they had to try and tell it in other ways. But, they did it wrong.

Could be lazy writing indeed , who knows ? or it could be that this how they want their Yen portrayed? as i said earlier the game is its own thing despite being inspired by the books , some characters are bound to be a bit different. i mean why bother to include those extra lines with companions urging you to not deal with Yen ? they could have easily skip them or changed them to something positive .

Its of course still canon but its meaningless for game fans (who haven't read the books)

It isn't meaningless to them. Knowing the back story will enrich their experience and understanding of the characters and the world. But, hey, if they choose to ignore it then that is up to them. But, don't start to complain and criticize that which you don't know.

No, as I wrote a couple of posts above, there is not enough time to tell everything in the game. They have to make sacrifices, and therefore they can't explicitly tell everything about a character's back story. But that still doesn't mean that some history is meaningless.

There may not be enough time to tell everything from the books, but there is enough time to give the player everything they need to give the player the impression of her that they want to give, therefore the only logical conclusion is that they wanted the players to think Yen was not a nice person. Quite a lot of the people (in my case everyone I have met so far) think Yen is poison and not a good fit for Geralt, and her actions in the game leave something to be desired,so to me that says that CDPR wants to convey the impression that she is really not a nice person. Yes she loves some people,. Yes she is doing everything she does for those people she loves. That does not make her a nice person. It certainly makes her a pretty good character in the story though. I will give her that.

Lazy writing on their part. They wanted to let the non-book readers know that their relationship was turbulent, and to outside characters it appeared outright crazy. So, by having the other characters constantly picking on Yen, the non-book reader will think "Oh, I suppose she is a bitch". Lazy writing. But, also proof that there weren't enough time to tell their rich back story, meaning that they had to try and tell it in other ways. But, they did it wrong.

I didn't need other characters "picking on Yen" to tell me she was bitchy. She did a good job of that on her own.

It isn't meaningless to them. Knowing the back story will enrich their experience and understanding of the characters and the world. But, hey, if they choose to ignore it then that is up to them. But, don't start to complain and criticize that which you don't know.

The books are their own thing so yes we can complain and criticize characters based on them even if we haven't read the books
Sry but thats just how it is

True, but it should not be expected of anyone to read the books. The games should be able to stand on their own, especially in a forum about the games not the books. Therefore there is no reason they can't criticize if they choose.

Yen no matter what terrible things she does is of course still "good" and complex and deserves Geralt but if its Triss of course the relationship isn't pure

Book fans pls

All the "terrible" things Yen did in the saga was for good reasons, saving Ciri. All the terrible things Triss did in the books were for cowardly reasons.

Book fans pls

Both books and games fan (well, more TW3 than TW2).

You are making the same mistakes some Triss fans do: idolizing and putting on a pedestal one, while demonizing and tearing another. Both Triss and Yennefer have their own shares of flaws and neither relationship with Geralt is perfect. However, Yennefer truly grew to care deeply for Geralt to the point she risked her life to save him, whereas Triss had a crush on him which she never valued more than her dealings with politics/Lodge or her own skin. I gave her that she took injured Geralt to the dryads of Brokilon and together with Yen took care of the revolting peasants attacking Geralt and friends, but throughout the books she had many chances to prove her true loyalty and affection, as Yennefer did, but she never did. Hence no, I won't kid myself who is more dedicated to Geralt.

This is very likely to be true. however this is a forum about the games not the books. Lazy writing may be the case but it does not change the fact that Yen comes off as a not nice person.

You are making the same mistakes some Triss fans do: idolizing and putting on a pedestal one, while demonizing and tearing another. Both Triss and Yennefer have their own shares of flaws and neither relationship with Geralt is perfect. However, Yennefer truly grew to care deeply for Geralt to the point she risked her life to save him, whereas Triss had a crush on him which she never valued more than her dealings with politics/Lodge or her own skin. I gave her that she took injured Geralt to the dryads of Brokilon and together with Yen took care of the revolting peasants attacking Geralt and friends, but throughout the books she had many chances to prove her true loyalty and affection, as Yennefer did, but she never did. Hence no, I won't kid myself who is more dedicated to Geralt.

In game Triss would die for Geralt without hesitation , which is all that matters to in game Triss fans. her risking her life in order to get a piece of info from Menge about Ciri is proof of that.

There may not be enough time to tell everything from the books, but there is enough time to give the player everything they need to give the player the impression of her that they want to give, therefore the only logical conclusion is that they wanted the players to think Yen was not a nice person. Quite a lot of the people (in my case everyone I have met so far) think Yen is poison and not a good fit for Geralt, and her actions in the game leave something to be desired,so to me that says that CDPR wants to convey the impression that she is really not a nice person. Yes she loves some people,. Yes she is doing everything she does for those people she loves. That does not make her a nice person. It certainly makes her a pretty good character in the story though. I will give her that.

Is being 'bitchy' the worst thing a person can do? Is not being nice enough to judge someone as the worst person ever, even if such person does everything she can to help her loved ones?

On the contrary, if a person is nice to you, but lies to and takes advantage of you, all is forgiven?

I already said in another post that Triss isn't perfect, she certainly has her flaws I just like her a lot more than Yen (who is just way too annoying and bitchy sry)

What book fans often forget is that Triss isn't the same anymore, she has matured and developed (can't believe she was a coward in the books, another reason not to read them)

You are neglecting the games and just judging Triss and her relationship with Geralt based on the books even though you are a fan of both

Is being 'bitchy' the worst thing a person can do? Is not being nice enough to judge someone as the worst person ever, even if such person does everything she can to help her loved ones?

On the contrary, if a person is nice to you, but lies to and takes advantage of you, all is forgiven?

i don't recall anyone saying Yen was the worst person ever. Just not a nice person overall.

In game Triss would die for Geralt without hesitation , which is all that matters to in game Triss fans. her risking her life in order to get a piece of info from Menge about Ciri is proof of that.

Interestingly book fans tend to (quite conveniently) forget that part

The books are their own thing so yes we can complain and criticize characters based on them even if we haven't read the books
Sry but thats just how it is

Just, please, acknowledge the fact that there is more to her than what is presented in the game. So, basically, you are not criticizing the whole picture, which makes the criticism very flawed. Because, your opinions would easily change if you knew the whole picture. That's what I can't stand with all this Yen-hate.

Interestingly book fans tend to (quite conveniently) forget that part

It doesnt help with their agenda so yea it gets brushed under carpet , Triss also risked her life in order to get mages she doesnt even know out of Novigrad.

You are making the same mistakes some Triss fans do: idolizing and putting on a pedestal one
How is he doing that? He was clearly trying to make the exact same point you're making in your next line: "Both Triss and Yennefer have their own shares of flaws"

As for the rest of your argument, its all 'books', while completely ignoring everything that happens in the games.

As a general observation for this thread:
I don't see what the fascination is with convincing other to convert to your point of view. How about people just accept some people like Yen, while other don't, and agree to disagree - that would've ended this thread ages ago. Currently this whole thread has devolved into a yes/no discussion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom