Endless load screen before giant fight making game unplayable.

+
Endless load screen before giant fight making game unplayable.

I've invested 71 hours so far in to this game and now I can't play it for even 30 seconds anymore. I just got to the giant fight and the load screen won't go away. I've tried everything. I've changed the graphics, reinstalled the game, loaded older saves, and left the area before the cut scene only to be randomly throne in to it no matter where I go. This bug is outrageous. I didn't spend $60 on a game to watch a damn loading screen for eternity. No work around exists that fixes this problem.

System Specs:
i7 920 3.8 ghz
Nvidea GeForce GTX 760
16 GB Ripjaw ram

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-05-29 17-19-14-74.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-29 17-19-14-74.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 592
  • witcher3 2015-05-29 17-19-03-25.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-29 17-19-03-25.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
The issue is showing up on all versions and looks to be related to the bowman firing at the giant during the cutscene.

If you dont have the bowman it should work. For those of you with saves far past that decision point your out of luck till you get a patch.

I had this issue too. I reloaded an earlier autosave (somewhere inside the cave where the tree and harpies were) and the bug never popped up again. Not too sure exactly what the conditions for this to occur were.

Same here,

This bug completely broke my game. Even if i try to ignore the fight and go do something else, sooner or later i will get a broken cutscene including giant awakening. Even if i am in a different region. The bugged cutscene even popped in a Kaer Morhen location, i could only see the giant and geralt everything else was blue, no textures, no terrain. Long black loading screen and a death soon...

I don't have saves before the quest and i can't play anymore due to bug. Like other people, i rescued the archer from trolls and i took a break in the middle of quest (when we entered the cave).

Can't play, please help : /

I'm having the same problem but at a different quest in Skellige. My game has the endless loading when I am trying to finish King's Gambit.

I am very frustrated with this at the moment, the main quest "The Isle of Mists" cannot be completed if this bug is present because you cannot complete "Brothers In Arms: Skellige. This 'optional' secondary quest for "The Lord of Undvik" is not really optional is the bug is preventing it from being finished, and preventing me from being able to complete the main quest " Brothers In Arms: Skellige" as I cannot talk to Hjalmar.

I cannot play the game any further till this is fixed as I cannot progress this quest. My only options is to create a new game, and after 100+ hours of gameplay I am not willing to restart.

Are you guys overexerting your video cards memory capability? If the scene is highly demanding, it might be crashing the card and not the game. Try lowering your shadows and AA, lower resolution to 1920 x 1080 or less, will it now load?

---------- Updated at 07:59 AM ----------

Your cut-scene was seeing a huge FPS slow down in the video before going black. Try lowering your settings. I'm running ultra everything with shadows on low, HBAO+, low NPC count, 1920 x 1080, DSR OFF (not downscaling 4k from nividia settings), 352.86 nvidia driver, and have yet to see ANY cut-scene slow down like that. Running a MSI GTX 970 Gaming4G card with k-boost on and OC +50 core +100 mem, with 8350 OC'd to 4.5ghz. Game has yet to lag on me and I'm 40+ hours in.

Last edited:
I have 2x770 at 1920x1080. Its not crashing my card. No cut scene in the game has run slow for me. Just one that fails to load back into the game AFTER the cutscene is complete. Its also happening on PS4 so its not likely to be a card crashing.

This is the only kind of failure I have seen and im 110+ hours in, so its very very unlikely to be anything other than a game error. Its not lag, it just fails to load back into the game.

Last edited:
Are you guys overexerting your video cards memory capability? If the scene is highly demanding, it might be crashing the card and not the game. Try lowering your shadows and AA, lower resolution to 1920 x 1080 or less, will it now load?

---------- Updated at 07:59 AM ----------

Your cut-scene was seeing a huge FPS slow down in the video before going black. Try lowering your settings. I'm running ultra everything with shadows on low, HBAO+, low NPC count, 1920 x 1080, DSR OFF (not downscaling 4k from nividia settings), 352.86 nvidia driver, and have yet to see ANY cut-scene slow down like that. Running a MSI GTX 970 Gaming4G card with k-boost on and OC +50 core +100 mem, with 8350 OC'd to 4.5ghz. Game has yet to lag on me and I'm 40+ hours in.

The cutscene is bugged, i am getting it poping up in totally different areas randomly if i try to ignore that quest. Like, i can be grabbing plants in white orchard village while suddenly bam, Frost Giant awakening cutscene (which at this point only loads the modes because obviously the terrain is not loaded in white orchard).... How is this related with graphic settings?

Also my game is stable 30-40 Fps, doesn't go below 30.

If you start the quest, you risk it occurring i.e. a death, something advancing, etc.. There was a " ! " quest where you have to kill all the ghouls or whatever they were while protecting the people on the battle field. I made the mistake of starting at that at too low of a level and ignoring would cause failure as someone on the field was killed. Had to go back a save to before I went to it and tried again at a higher level.

If you are getting 30 FPS in-game on average, what do think it's doing on high demanding scenes? Especially when it has to load a scene? I'm suggesting lowering settings like Shadows and AA to even lower resolution, to see if you are using too much VRAM or not. If too much is being used, it'll crash the card as it can't load the scenes.

---------- Updated at 09:32 AM ----------

@ Vantrax I'm not there yet. Sounds like a game flaw then. I've yet to experience any slow downs cut-scene or otherwise, with exception to loading a save in a high density area for a second or 2 while the game stabilizes.

I'm just throwing ideas out there. Just because you have 2 770's doesn't mean you aren't past one cards VRAM limit, which in your case is 2gb?

Last edited:
In this case it wont work, beacuse after 1st cutscene there is another cutscene which trigger Ice Giant death, so doing the method I'll give You will cause giant stuck at 1HP making him unkillable. Also the 'boss hp' metter is missing, and there might be other issues related to 'back from dead'.
To the point now, basicly when you have ANY infinite loading like this, for 99% You'll die after a while beacuse the game is not stopped, and everything expect You is 'live'. To do this trick we need dev. debug console from nexus (I'm not going to post any links, at least search that by yourself) We have two cases with 'death menus'
1. We are already dead with loading/main menu buttons
2. We are stuck on black loading screen, and there is no enemies that might kill us

To do:
1.open console and use "resurrect()" command, voila. we are back into action with advanced game phase (just after that bugged cutscene) Like said this is causing issues, like dissapearing boss health meter etc.
2.open console and use 'playerkill()' command, after 3-5seconds you'll be dead and we are moving to nr.1 when we see the other panel.

Well and that's it pretty much all what I've found so far. I spent many hours searching for commands such as "forcequest move phase/update/complete etc etc" but nothing seems working. My all repair attempts are based on last fight-phase with Ice Giant, and like said in this case its not working beacuse there are two cutscenes, and even when I was doing these steps perfectly 'timed' like I've just watched the cutscene and the game is working normally, giant will stuck with 1% hp. And trust me I've tried EVERYTHING starting with spawning other creatures hostile to him, by changing locations, doing other quests, and ending with quest npc manipulations like 'friendly/hostile' etc. Looks like there is no way to fix it without cdp help, if we find and rescue Folan after we reached the cave with Hjalmar nothing will work to kill last boss. I'm almost sure its happening beacuse our bugged archer is already on the 'ramp' position next to giant, and he is somehow fucking with triggers (I dont know if its for everyone but when I was stucked on the first loading screen I could hear archer swing sounds, and its only sous from game expect music) When we would arrive to the cave for the first time (in case when Folan is not stucked, and he followed us normally on foot to the cave) we see the short cutscene when we move rocks with Hjalmar to clear the pass. After that our lovely legolas inform us that he will take that ramp position, without messing teleportation. I dont know how those two methods will be useful, but I just wanted to share just FYI.

I just wanted to mention that I'm also having the enless loading screen after giant awakes. I can hear the archer firing, but that's all, screen is black, with the loading icon.

:realmad::realmad::realmad:

I am still unable to continue my 100+ hours save for over a weak now. All the autosaves or checkpoint saves got used by this bugged quest when i was trying to fix with different settings over and over.

It's bugged hard, just can't play any more than 20 minutes because the frost giant magic cutscene will appear completely broken anywhere anytime.

WillyDio stop defending the game trying to tell us all we play on wrong settings. Read the posts, people tried to play on low, we meet requirements. Which part of "I don't go below 30 fps" you don't understand ?

I have a similar problem with the neverendless loading scren. Warning some spoilers.
On the quest Brothers in arms skelliga : help resolve the matter of the succession of the skellig throne. After the bear attack at the feast you can choose if you want to help Hjalmar or Cerys to catch the one who was behind the attack. I have tried helping both but at the end of each quest when it looks loke you're abut to find out who's behind the attack, it comes a loading scren that never ends. I have tried both quest several times. I have also tried the option not to help Hjalmar or Cerys after the bear attack . But nothing happends and after a while when they have cleand the hall where the bear attack was, and i go talk to Hjalmar and Cerys in their rooms on the second floor. The option to help them investigate the bear attack is nolonger there and when i ask them to help me fight The Wild Hunt , they just say that they will help after someone has taken the thron
e.

Last edited:
It's happening here, too. I thought I broke it by not following the natural order of the quest (giant feeding sirens -> rescuing archer -> helping haljam -> going to giant), but it doesn't seem to be the case. I hope this gets fixed soon...

I think I can confirm that patch 1.04 for PS4 doesn't fix this, as stated on the changelog. I dont' get killed this time, but the loading screen doesn't disappear, either.

Top Bottom