Cyberpunk 2077 - Your Ideas For A Dream RPG

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always assigned my player group different roles in the run itself, letting one runner be the leader and letting the others play programs, AIs, enemy programs, enemy AIs, and so on. The whole group took part in the run and nobody felt outside.

Excellent idea!
*steals it to use in her own games*

Sadly, in this sound bite world, I haven't made the time to read ALL the previous posts, so at risk of repeating ideas; ......
I would like you to address the tech side of game mechanics. It's a given that you need a concise, precise & fluid combat system (check 'Remember Me' as one example). As I feel that CDPR's forte is story telling & immersion, can we address interruptions. Can we lose loading screens & just have the game go into slow mo or somesuch. Also, can we lose the E sign. I mean, either SUBTLY highlight stuff/people we can interact with, or, even better, give us a type of Witcher Sense, whereby WE use a key to highlight interactables when we choose/need to. Oh, & please, have our character either 'frisk' bodies for loot, or at least reach out a hand!
Inventory. Please, please, please, keep it to a minimal. I don't mean restrict our capacities (ala Res Evil 5 etc) but make a lot of stuff auto, such as food, energy, stamina, whatever & etc. Yes, we have to find it & pick it up, but after that, don't make us have to organise & select such basics please. Keep the inventory for important stuff like weapons, skills, upgrades etc. My biggest bugbear with RPG's in general, is I dread managing the inventory! With some games, I have to allot an hour sometimes to just sorting, benefiting from & tidying up the God damned inventory! :) On the loot front, depending on how much, weight limits, Lvl dependency etc. Either give us separate storage banks, or, allow us to mark stuff of interest, to pick up later (assuming 'open world') Finally, dying. Is there any way to mesh this into the game? An exemplar is 'Prey', where, on dying, you went to the spirit world for a short period before being reborn back into the game! Borderland's 'new you' & Bioshock's 'vita-chamber' are acceptable, but not very inventive imho. Maybe we could lose gear on dying too, & have to retrieve it from that gang/enemy (bosses excepted) with just fists/knife/pistol ? To make it a bit more important NOT to die!
I know it's tricky, & my exemplar was story specific, but that's why I put it here, gives a chance to consider building it into the story. I'm confident in CDPR's expertise in game design & expect another cracker in Cyberpunk 2077, & now that W3 is out, given support time for that & a well earned holiday break, it will all too soon be time to really concentrate on CP 2077, before they have to change the title date! :)

Last edited:
Yep, and perhaps if enough people share the same idea it will the devs may reconsider some aspect of the intended game mechanics.

My top 2 hopes for Cyberpunk 2077:

1. No hand-holding. I love TW3, but it requires absolutely no thinking from the player. So please, no arrows and paths and exclamation marks telling us where to go, who to talk to and where to find quests. Give us a conversation log and a good, textual journal that records the important bits, and let us figure out what to do ourselves. By all means, you can add all those helpers as options, but please design the game, the dialogue and the journal/log with the idea in mind that those helpers are not used.

2. You already understand the value of characters, writing, story and mood. Now, please prioritize gameplay over graphics. Yes, visuals sell games, but we're talking about games, and gameplay is ultimately what'll win you our hearts.

Good point trae. I think that for a game like W3 it would be good to have your idea built into the gameplay options. Instead of harder difficulties being largely about combat penalties, they could/should include a 'no hand holding' option. :) If Cyberpunk is equally story/character based, then the same could apply.

Agreed.
Finding quests and quest locations is the reason to explore the world.
If you're being told (via "Quest Here" and "Go That Way" markers) what's important and where to go there's really no reason to explore because there's nothing significant (to the story line) out there to find.

My top 2 hopes for Cyberpunk 2077:

1. No hand-holding. I love TW3, but it requires absolutely no thinking from the player. So please, no arrows and paths and exclamation marks telling us where to go, who to talk to and where to find quests. Give us a conversation log and a good, textual journal that records the important bits, and let us figure out what to do ourselves. By all means, you can add all those helpers as options, but please design the game, the dialogue and the journal/log with the idea in mind that those helpers are not used.

2. You already understand the value of characters, writing, story and mood. Now, please prioritize gameplay over graphics. Yes, visuals sell games, but we're talking about games, and gameplay is ultimately what'll win you our hearts.

I get why games are a lot less criptic and have a certain kind of (quest) reminders as gamers nowadays, specially adults, haven't got as much time to dedicate to games, but both things shouldn't be mistaken. We should have some kind of mission log that records clues and progress for us and what we've discovered and done so far, but the game should also use other tools to have us figure it out.
If we are told to look for someone some place, it would be better if we just had a very useful map but that we actually had to consult it, or maybe use things like our surroundings (signs and things like that) to look for that place. There's nothing inherently wrong with having some GPS capabilities, especially in a Cyberpunk game, but maybe not have them pinpoint the exact location of the objective at all times: just have markers that we can set and have the game tell us how to go there. Then, when we're in the general area, consult the info on our log to narrow the scope, ask the regulars of a bar, etc.

Hello! It can be stupid but I think this game must be badass as f*ck with à lot of suspens, i mean, a game that you can't stop in the principale missions and a bit more calm in the rest of it.

I also hope for a lot of choices who will have an impact on the storie (a bit like "Dishonored" or "Fable"). And please have the balls to make it really dark and sad, to make it the most cyberpunk you can. I hope this comment will help a bit.

Can't wait for this game it will be wondeful!

(sorry for my bad english i'm french)

---------- Updated at 07:02 PM ----------

Ah and i think that a "creator" of weapon (thinking about deadspace 3) world be great it can solve the probleme of "how many weapons can we take with" or "wich one will i take?"

Since Witcher 3 turned out the way it did, I'm onvinced they can pull that off now... Cyberpunk could be really great!

...and I hope it's 3rd person during exploration/melee and 1st person in ranged combat.

I get why games are a lot less criptic and have a certain kind of (quest) reminders as gamers nowadays, specially adults, haven't got as much time to dedicate to games, but both things shouldn't be mistaken. We should have some kind of mission log that records clues and progress for us and what we've discovered and done so far, but the game should also use other tools to have us figure it out.
If we are told to look for someone some place, it would be better if we just had a very useful map but that we actually had to consult it, or maybe use things like our surroundings (signs and things like that) to look for that place. There's nothing inherently wrong with having some GPS capabilities, especially in a Cyberpunk game, but maybe not have them pinpoint the exact location of the objective at all times: just have markers that we can set and have the game tell us how to go there. Then, when we're in the general area, consult the info on our log to narrow the scope, ask the regulars of a bar, etc.

I don't really buy that time argument. The most important component of any game is the gameplay, and figuring things out is meaningful, rewarding and fun gameplay as much as any other gameplay element, it's not there just as an obstacle. If that makes the game too long, then the game's simply too long.

Anyway, what you're suggesting is very much what I'm asking. Here's a completely made up example in the spirit of TW3:

You talk to a person who tells you to go meet a guy named Lennas. You look at the mini-map and see a yellow arrow, and underneath that the objective: "Go meet Lennas". You head to the nearest fast-travel spot and the map opens. You see the objective icon over a nearby village and travel there. You arrive and proceed to follow the arrow/path to a person the game identifies as Lennas.

Now the way I prefer:

You talk to a person who tells you to go meet a guy named Lennas who lives in Hearthvale. No arrow or objective text appears. You open the quest log, and the most recent entry says: "General Voraas suggested I talk with Lennas, who lives in Hearthvale". You open the map, and see that Hearthvale is nearby, and you decide to travel there. When you arrive, you spot a friendly-looking lady, and ask her: "I'm looking for Lennas, do you by any chance happen to know where he lives?" The woman tells you that he lives on the other side of the river, in a house with red tile roof, just by the bridge - can't miss it! You walk in the direction she indicates and soon find the house and, of course, Lennas.

The second approach will certainly take a bit more time, and it's hardly mentally taxing either, but there's a huge difference to the first one: it involves the player.

There are several reasons why games these days - especially big AAA productions - have much more hand-holding than in the past. One reason is that game companies try to appeal to an incredibly large audience and they're afraid of making games that are too overwhelming for too many, and therefore their games are designed according to the lowest common denominator. Another reason is that, perhaps surprisingly, requiring more from the player also requires more resources from the developers. In the case of my example above there needs to be lots of additional dialogue to enable the player to ask questions from different people about the whereabouts of Lennas (an excellent example of how aspiring to a movie-like experience with 100% VO instead of textual dialogue has led to a greatly simplified game experience).

Can we all agree that Dragons Age: Origins had a few significant story-altering decisions?
This is the sort of thing I want to see in CP2077, because this dramatically effects re-playability, you can't see or do it all in one play-thru.

I have some good ideas for a Cyberpunk videogame, hope someone will really read this:

1. The player (on a 3rd person perspective) must be a edgerunner, being hunted by a megacorporation. He needs to cooperate with other gangs in order to survive.
2. These gangs/groups costantly assign quests to the player. He can refuse them too, obviously with different consequences.
3. Failing a quest will have consequences and maybe bring new quests which wouldn't be available if you completed the previous one.
4. Introduce a more realistic reputation system between characters or groups and the player.
5. A source of inspirations could be the movie "1997 Escape from New York" and comic book "The Incal" of Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius.
6. Introduce a new device that allow to read human mind in some circumstances. The device can be upgraded. Others may have this device too, reading your thoughts, anticipating your movements and actions, or just reacting differently to your choises.
7. FNFF, if present, should be realistic. You can die with a single bullet well aimed. If you shoot to the enemy legs he will not be able to walk anymore, as well as, if you shoot to the hands or arms he'll not be able to carry a weapon or other things. Headshots are almost deathly.
8. A customized home or main base should be present, in order to invite people, meet with others edgerunners, sleep or doing other activities (such as playing cards, flirting etc...).
9. An alarm system. Once you have been recognized you need to hide (you can't go back at home) through the city (or under). You can also try to resist against the law enforcements, but it's dangerous.
10. Humanity System related to artificial implants, as described in the original card game.
11. Exploration should be always the essence of a game. Create a big city, full of life, or more cities interconnected, as well as sewers and the countryside too.
12. A smooth driving system. Stealing cars is also a possibility, but it's risky. You can take also other transports.
13. More adult content with genitals too (not like The Witcher 3), 'cause it adds much realism to the relationships. Maybe allow people to disable nude content in the menu option screen.
14. More realistic relationships with the other sex (or machine sex).
15. 2077 is not so far from now. You should not exceed on technological innovations.
16. Better AI, no random encounters but calculated encounters which appear randoms.
17. No multiplayer, just an intensive single player mode with great longevity.
18. More importance given to the clonation.
19. Can smoke, drink and assume drugs.
20. Maybe a Needs System too (need to drink, to eat etc...)
21. Multiple endings.

That's all...for now.

I'll admit I don't know much about the Cyberpunk PnP universe, but I like cyberpunk settings more generally and The Witcher 3 blew me away with how great it was, yet there are some things I'd like to see improved upon for the next CDPR game.

1. Character customisation is pretty much a given, but I hope the game will have a good variety of options for making the character you want to play. And I hope CDPR will spend the money it costs to have voice acting for both male and female lead characters.

2. One of the things I was most impressed by in TW3 was the writing and the characters you meet along your journey. But in TW3, the friends you meet feel like they disappear from the game world again after you're done with their quests. With such good writing and such strong characters, it's easy to get attached to the characters and want more stories and more interactions involving them, so I hope Cyberpunk 2077 will have characters that feel more persistently present in the world - there are many possible ways of doing this, and I'm open to them all, but more conversations, more backstory and more opportunities to romance people at any time you choose and just being able to go talk to them when you feel like having out with them again would be great.

3. Keep the feel mature. TW3 did have characters wearing underwear in situations where it felt like the game was shying away from full nudity.
A mature feel doesn't mean loads of gratuitous violence or nudity, but it does mean shying away when it'd be natural for it to be there. And having those elements there, when done well, can add to immersion, add to character depth and romances and make the world feel less artificial.

2. One of the things I was most impressed by in TW3 was the writing and the characters you meet along your journey. But in TW3, the friends you meet feel like they disappear from the game world again after you're done with their quests.

3. Keep the feel mature. TW3 did have characters wearing underwear in situations where it felt like the game was shying away from full nudity.

You got the point. Characters should be more present even after you made all their quests related. For example on GTA V they can call you on your phone, or you can call them at anytime, hang out with them or do other activities. It makes you feel more social so that's a good thing, at least in a videogame. The other point you well-mentioned is that TW3 is shown as an uncensored game, but in those parts of the game where it should be natural to be nude, they wear underwear. So it's not mature at all, it's always censored, even with those two-three sex scenes where they make same movements, same positions... I am just asking for more realism and coherence with the situation.

I'll admit I don't know much about the Cyberpunk PnP universe, but I like cyberpunk settings more generally and The Witcher 3 blew me away with how great it was, yet there are some things I'd like to see improved upon for the next CDPR game.

1. Character customisation is pretty much a given, but I hope the game will have a good variety of options for making the character you want to play. And I hope CDPR will spend the money it costs to have voice acting for both male and female lead characters.

2. One of the things I was most impressed by in TW3 was the writing and the characters you meet along your journey. But in TW3, the friends you meet feel like they disappear from the game world again after you're done with their quests. With such good writing and such strong characters, it's easy to get attached to the characters and want more stories and more interactions involving them, so I hope Cyberpunk 2077 will have characters that feel more persistently present in the world - there are many possible ways of doing this, and I'm open to them all, but more conversations, more backstory and more opportunities to romance people at any time you choose and just being able to go talk to them when you feel like having out with them again would be great.

I wholeheartedly agree!

As to 1: I'd really appreciate voice acting, both male and female, for the protagonist. It does add a lot to the atmosphere and makes it easier to identify with the character since you don't have to constantly imagine your character's voice. Also character customization offers a lot of replay value. Just think of the classes in Baldur's Gate. And I really like to role play - so different character backgrounds, gender, race (if available) etc. are really important to me.

As for 2: That is indeed one of the most important issues where most rgps fall short. In fact, I think one of the few positive example are the BioWare games when it comes to your companions since they're with you through the whole game and constantly offer new dialog options. That's one of the main reasons why I find the characters in BioWare games more interesting/entertaining than the story itself. Now if at least some of that could be extended to more characters that would be really neat! That's what really makes the game world come alive.
Also: Quality over quantity. I really prefer fewer but memorable characters that are present (or can be contacted) throughout the game over tons of generic quest givers. Imo a character doesn't even have to offer a lot of quest related content - backstory, commentary on current events or side activities are perfectly fine as well. I really hope we'll see improvement in this area in rpgs. Let's hope for the best ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom