Question AMD Catalyst 15.5 Beta

+
Question AMD Catalyst 15.5 Beta

Hi guys, i have notice strange thing, when I start to play The Witcher 3 do not know why the game is from 1 FPS to 20 FPS, then return and so on, after 15 minutes of play, the game is fluid someone has the same problem?With OMEGA Drivers, dnt have drops 1 FPS a 20 FPS.My videocard is AMD R7 200 Series.

Hi guys, i have notice strange thing, when I start to play The Witcher 3 do not know why the game is from 1 FPS to 20 FPS, then return and so on, after 15 minutes of play, the game is fluid someone has the same problem?With OMEGA Drivers, dnt have drops 1 FPS a 20 FPS.My videocard is AMD R7 200 Series.

I've found the 15.5 driver to be really horrible. I went ahead and backrev'ed to 15.4. Seems to be working much better for me. Going to wait until they work on15.5 some more.

Yeah, in fact I hope that CD projekt read my thread, to do something because honestly some increases performance (fps), but not much, and when I start playing the game I stuttering from 1 fps to 20 fps, and then back to 20 fps up to 1 fps ect ...So I sincerely hope that CD projekt read my thread.

I'm betting it's because you use an R7 200 series which is below the minimum requirements for the game.

I'm betting it's because you use an R7 200 series which is below the minimum requirements for the game.

Sorry to tell you but with an R7 260x I'm happily playing the game at high settings... the beta driver actually introduced stutter to me.

None of these drivers have positive or any effect on HD driver I take it?

Most HD card were before AMD took over so could be why they are not supported. Or like I call it the last true ATI card.

Sorry to tell you but with an R7 260x I'm happily playing the game at high settings... the beta driver actually introduced stutter to me.

Interesting that you play it on high when the minimum required GPU is the HD 7870, which is equivalent to the R9 270x, considerably more powerful than n R7 260x.

But hey if you can play it, that's cool.

I personally have an R9 290x and the 15.5 drivers did nothing for me. Positive or negative.

I have R9 280, and ended up with lower FPS than I had with 15.4 beta. HairWorks off completely, since I started the game, no point sacrificing FPS just for hair :p

Interesting that you play it on high when the minimum required GPU is the HD 7870, which is equivalent to the R9 270x, considerably more powerful than n R7 260x.

But hey if you can play it, that's cool.

I personally have an R9 290x and the 15.5 drivers did nothing for me. Positive or negative.

Yep, until the beta driver I could say I was having an excellent experience:

AMD FX6300
AMD Radeon R7 260x
8.00 Gb Ram
No SSD drive

Everything on High (except foliage distance at medium)
No Hairworks, no AA, locked at 30FPS, Fullscreen mode

Not an impressive rig but more than enough for my needs, the new driver caused some stuttering on the open world... figuring out if I can roll back.

PS: If I think on how hard was for me with my previous rig to run the W2, W3 was an amazing surprise how optimized it was since day 1, not saying they don't have to address A LOT of stuff... just happy to be able to run it since day one.

Yep, until the beta driver I could say I was having an excellent experience:

AMD FX6300
AMD Radeon R7 260x
8.00 Gb Ram
No SSD drive

Everything on High (except foliage distance at medium)
No Hairworks, no AA, locked at 30FPS, Fullscreen mode

Not an impressive rig but more than enough for my needs, the new driver caused some stuttering on the open world... figuring out if I can roll back.

PS: If I think on how hard was for me with my previous rig to run the W2, W3 was an amazing surprise how optimized it was since day 1, not saying they don't have to address A LOT of stuff... just happy to be able to run it since day one.

You can roll it back, just download 15.4 and uninstall amd catalyst in control panel>programs and features then run DDU in safe mode, do a clean and restart, then install 15.4 after restarting.

I have all Minimum (grass, water, etc...) becuz honestly i dnt see the difference between ("Ultra" & "Low"), i have only Textures and Detail "High" and the others "Low", and Postprocessing (Antialiasing off, SSAO off, Bloom on, godrays on, depth of field on and the others off).

the game is fluid in me the only problem is that with AMD Drivers 15.5, there is something strange, is true increases in FPS, but when I start to play I do not know why I go from 20 FPS to 1 FPS (freeze ), then back to 20 FPS and then to 1 FPS ect ....

After 15 minutes (I think) and I will return to normal 20 FPS without stuttering, then it means that the problem is not my video card, but the drivers themselves, as with the OMEGA Drivers play went smoothly.

And seeing the comments above are not the only one who has this problem.

---------- Updated at 07:11 AM ----------

I have R9 280, and ended up with lower FPS than I had with 15.4 beta. HairWorks off completely, since I started the game, no point sacrificing FPS just for hair :p

Yeah, the hairworks for me is useless, is just only "eat" fps. :)

I still have 14.12 and getting 40FPS average with medium settings, 7850 is the GPU. =P

I have created a ticket on AMD Support, and reading the other tickets are not the only one who has this problem of Stuttering.

I hope to solve (as it is in Beta), and also increase the performance and not 10% but at least 20%, 10% honestly not much.

EDIT: What advice can you give me leave 15.5 or return to the drivers OMEGA Drivers?

Last edited:
I am one of those "if it works, don't fix it" people. So, if you had it working at one point, return to that.

I have a R9-270. I added "the Witcher 3. exe." file in CCC 15.5 as a profile, In CCC, under Gameing changed "Texture Filtering Quality" set to" performance". Filter to "edge defect". everything else to "use application settings" .
During initial loading screen, I do see the drops in frame rate with 15.5 that I didn't see with 15.4. But during the game, if I am out in Velen, I get a more steady frame rate, 40 to 42 fps, if its raining or wind really blowing, 36 to 38 fps. This is where the new driver seem to help the most, if it was windy, with 15.4 driver I would drop to 30 FPs.
In game settings, V sync- off, HW off, Shadows - low, sharpening- low or medium. All other settings -ultra.
My experience so far has been very enjoyable, more than expected. Almost didn't buy, because expected very low framerates.
I have found that if I run Fraps, I can see my fps on screen, on changing setting can see results immediately. Also Google search helps with CCC.

I tried again, but nothing there is always the stuttering, and while I was fighting had freezed the game and made a strange noise, so the drivers are wrong, I returned with the OMEGA drivers, and waiting AMD finish the BETA.

Top Bottom