Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Landscapes are downgraded there is no denying that. How about character models, does anyone have any complain regarding character models ? I think the character models in TW3 are the best I've ever seen, compared to even DA:I / GTA5. The skin texture and hair are amazing. My only complain is they reuse the same models quite often for the NPCs.

What do you guys think about the character models in TW3, it's part of the graphics right ?

Yeah, that plagued them from the first game. I guess when you have to devot a lot of time making your game run smooth on a platform it was not designed for other things are automatically put on the backburner.

i asked @Marcin Momot if they are going to unlock the ini files settings, i got ignored like a fangirl trying to talk to her favorite band singer :(

Not a good sign but it could mean anything really.

Last edited:
Yeah, that plagued them from the first game. I guess when you have to devot a lot of time making your game run smooth on a platform it was not designed for other things are automatically put on the backburner.

Not a good sign but it could mean anything really.

People added more NPC variety to Skyrim, shouldn't be a problem when Red Kit comes out .

I'm holding off from playing and so the whole interent is a spoiler mine field.
I've bumped into a few screen grabs that are breathtaking.

The world they have realised is incredible.
I look forward to playing (once it's finalised)

I'm well into playing now, finished my preset, and wow.. witcher 3 environments and worlds blow my mind. It is the most visually awesome game to date.

If anything, whatever preset you use needs to change the lighting to blur the base of the foliage textures on all the grass. Mine does this.. actually i would have preferred lighter shadows but i had to leave it just on the dark side of where i wanted it due to this issue. Make sure the preset you're using achieves this as the vanilla game looks like a dodgy console port (...) without this change to the lighting.

Being at this point however.. there are 2 aspects which I'd still lament as being console nerfed from the most beautiful game to date..
1) Building detail.. I really shouldn't have loaded up witcher 2 today.. You can definitely perceive a sense of flatness from not enough geometry. Common tesselation.
2) Npc detail.. I bet they were tweaking the levels of detail vs performance as i did in making a sweetfx.. and i think they landed on just a fraction not detailed enough.. Just that fraction more detail and the npcs would have been awesome. Their physical detail, outfits etc just want to look that tiny bit better.

Thanks consoles :)

Now honestly, are we really that far off from what we were shown 2 years ago?

I just took this shot, cranked up everything up to ultra and tweaked the colour balance (SweetFX style)

Hey @Mezziaz, this screenshot does really look awesome, even though I agree that for a general playthrough your preset from here might be something I'd like much more: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3733/

Any chance you could replicate the above scene with that preset? I thought I saw something like that already but couldn't find it anymore. Would really appreciate this!

Honest to God, folks, in so many of these comparison shots I have trouble deciding which one is supposed to be best or like the one that's supposed to be inferior more so I guess I'm satisfied. I certainly don't feel flimflammed or cheated. This long time PC gamer ( started with original Doom when it first came out ) is quite satisfied and if anything impressed rather than disappointed. My PC on ultra looks as good as any of those shots and sometimes better to me. I'm sorry for those who feel cheated but I just don't feel or see it. Seems like your upset with an artstyle decision that seems a downgrade if anything. We;;, I'm moving on here. Really all I have to say on this except feel kind of sorry for the developers.

I don't agree with some parts of the article, but take a look at the pics and comparative video and see yourself:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-what-can-we-learn-from-the-witcher-3-downgrade-fiasco

The difference is clear. And the choice for simpler lightning system, shaders, missing special effects (blood in the water), etc. also.
The point is: OK since consoles can't handle all this at an acceptable frame-rate I agree it's better to use less demanding solutions keeping a very good gfx level yet, but why not offering that old amazing level of detail and rendering on modern hi-end PC?

It's useless to discuss about how bad or good the supposed "downgrade" was, but the question we should ask to CDPR is: will you aver re-add previous hi-end (optional) settings you showed in those 2013-14 videos on the PC?

Last edited:
does anyone have any complain regarding character models ?
Triss, Geralt, The Wild Hunt, and maybe more all looked better in pre-release footage so yeah I do complain about those lol. It's generally very good though, NPCs look better than main characters from other WRPGs.

See the foliage. Notice there are proper shadings on the trees & grass, dark & bright areas that react to the light source. Then look at the flat foliages in the final product.Notice that there is next to no light & dark area on them that react to the lightsource. The only thing they have are casted shadow, & thats about it.

Notice also the bright rim light at Gerald left shouderpad & hair in the picture you posted, then see the basic & guadual shading on Gerald clothing & hair in the final game, on a supposely bright day.

Have no doubt about it, lighting has been downgarde by a level or 2.

Trailer still

Final Product

This is called subsurface scattering I think.

Hey @Mezziaz, this screenshot does really look awesome, even though I agree that for a general playthrough your preset from here might be something I'd like much more: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3733/

Any chance you could replicate the above scene with that preset? I thought I saw something like that already but couldn't find it anymore. Would really appreciate this!

You can find my VGX settings file here https://mega.co.nz/#!kVYjFIIL!VzOOm2XF1uTrBxpDX4wzf8CW0DxYRBdZV9kTM7KFQ_s
It was made to only look good at that particular spot, during that particular time of day (dawn and clear).

I will not update Project Destiny to look like VGX as that preset is going for a "SoD/35 minute demo" look. If I manage to tweak the VGX settings file so that it can be used for the whole game I will upload it as a new and separate preset. With that said presets like this one for example https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3710/ already exists.

I can't describe the melancholy i feel every time i see the VGX gameplay trailers and wonder what this game could have been in terms of graphics/immersion and how it was butchered down due to console limitations...

Why could'nt they make it a timed exclusive like the Witcher 2 on PC then work on it 1-2 years optimizing and bring it on consoles? Instead they went the parity way like Ubisoft,EA and Activision for optimal profits without respecting each platform individually....

And statements like:" Witcher 3 coulnd't have happened if it was a PC exclusive(or timed exclusive)" are completely false imho....They just didn't care to provide some extra resources on working individually on 2 platforms(PC and consoles).I mean would this really bankrupt CD Project or make TW3 investment a failure? Is there even a sane person believing this?

Ultra settings a 'slap in the face'+Marcin claiming VGX would be achievable on final release on a capable pc = all respect for CD gone.

I can't describe the melancholy i feel every time i see the VGX gameplay trailers and wonder what this game could have been in terms of graphics/immersion and how it was butchered down due to console limitations...

Why could'nt they make it a timed exclusive like the Witcher 2 on PC then work on it 1-2 years optimizing and bring it on consoles? Instead they went the parity way like Ubisoft,EA and Activision for optimal profits without respecting each platform individually....

And statements like:" Witcher 3 coulnd't have happened if it was a PC exclusive(or timed exclusive)" are completely false imho....They just didn't care to provide some extra resources on working individually on 2 platforms(PC and consoles).I mean would this really bankrupt CD Project or make TW3 investment a failure? Is there even a sane person believing this?

If this is what CDPR are saying, why would it be completely false?
And why should I wait 1-2 years to play on Xbox so that PC players get a few more smoke clouds?

In summary:
  • It's a 3 platform launch by necessity. Politely: deal with it.
  • Game studies make practical decisions to make great games that sell well, they are not having an emotional spat to upset you personally.
  • I'm more surprised that there are people who believe a PC-only launch of this scale would have been financially credible.

If this is what CDPR are saying, why would it be completely false?
And why should I wait 1-2 years to play on Xbox so that PC players get a few more smoke clouds?

In summary:
  • It's a 3 platform launch by necessity. Politely: deal with it.
  • Game studies make practical decisions to make great games that sell well, they are not having an emotional spat to upset you personally.
  • I'm more surprised that there are people who believe a PC-only launch of this scale would have been financially credible.

- If it was released on consoles after 1-2 years,you would get a downgraded due to console limitations but optimized version of the VGX graphics that would still LOOK better than the version consoles are currently getting....if you want proof look at the xbox version of the Witcher 2 that came out 1 year after the PC version.It would never look that good on 360 IF it was initially built with 360 in mind and not PC ;)

- If you believe that the Witcher 3 would be a financial failure if it was ported to consoles after its initial PC release,,then you are clearly out of your mind(see W2 financial success a console port 1 year later)

-Also if the only differences you see in the VGX trailers are a few more smoke clouds,then you are not only out of your mind but vision impaired too

Alas,paying insane retail prices for games that don't go in par with the technology that our age has to offer is a way of life for you console gamers...or should i say peasants?

So bottom line:any arguement that i provide won't really make any difference,but whatever...

i dont know much about the technical side, but seeing that they had the necessary assets at one point of time , wouldnt it be nice if they released the assets along with the redkit ( assuming redkit offers that level of modding ability) if they dont plan on doing the updates? the modding community is strong and would gladly accept some work which they can improve. At least the meshes and textures would be nice (no matter how small part of the world they made it for - i believe it would be a large part due to the 35 min demo released just a few months back)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom