A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for this guide. Is it possible I got a big FPS increase when I updated my video card drivers?

Of course it is, that's the whole purpose of driver updates - to improve the performance of your GPU! ;)

don't sing to victory too early,because the game story and quest wise, is broken as fuck....there are majorissues that prevent to go on.
Anyway, i see shadows popping in and out,a nd no tweaking seems to get rid of that...for example if i get close to a house, i see the shadows popping in, while if i go in the opposite direction,or turn the camera, that shadow magically disappears...same happens to decals

Oh dear, I had heard of progression-breaking bugs, but I didn't investigate further for fear of spoilers. Are the bugs really that bad? :(

Fortunately, it seems CD Projekt RED will address them very soon with the 1.05 patch! :D

First of all, thank you so much @Verrenus , this post has already been useful so many times for me, I can't even show enough gratitude!...hmm... I actually can... just gave you a REDpoint :D
Now , one particular issue I had, was getting 5.1 audio to work over SPDIF using an Asus Xonar DSX sound card. However, thanks the following tweak in your compendium I was (almost) able to fix it:

10. Fix missing voices and other audio problems using surround sound

Just follow the instructions in this video and apply the fix linked in its description to force surround audio to work correctly in The Witcher 3!

Source: orangpelupa

Now, what I additionally had to do was to configure my speakers also using the Windows Playback Devices Dialog found when right-clicking the Speakers icon. I posted all the details in the post by @orangpelupa , which you used as a source, right here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...it-surround)?p=1727339&viewfull=1#post1727339

So @Verrenus , maybe you might add something to point 10 of your list, maybe something like:
"Just follow the instructions in this video and apply the fix linked in its description to force surround audio to work correctly in The Witcher 3!
Also make sure to properly configure your audio device in Windows using the instructions of the thread http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...it-surround)?p=1680366&viewfull=1#post1680366, specially posts http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...it-surround)?p=1718442&viewfull=1#post1718442 and http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...it-surround)?p=1727339&viewfull=1#post1727339."

Hope this can help some people and thanks again for creating this awesome thread!

Last edited:
Ah, okay, sorry if I missed something. Other than that, I'd wonder if you changed any of the ShadowMap values to higher than 512. But I've mainly seen that glitching interior lighting. It glitches close shadows so when you walk from one to the other it flicks out... no fading. I know it's been posted on this thread and even page, so sorry if you've tried this. I'm just lurking the forums because I'm not able to play the game properly, so figured I'd try to help out. :D
If it's just a weird bug, I feel for you. I still haven't been able to run down why I crash randomly in Velen and White Orchard only. I've tried everything I can do myself. I've even swapped hardware and put in a brand new GPU. Nothing. Nada. And no word from the devs if they're planning a fix for the driver reset crashes. If I put in an older series GPU, problems disappear... put my 970s back in... crash.
why you are sorry?there is nothing to be sorry in what i said,i just stated that i tried already thatOo ..anyway, as soon as i read of the above 512 shadowmaps glitch i didn't dare to touch those settings. What i was speaking about, happens without messing with those settings. In interior i had no issues so far with shadows. At least i had no crashes so far. I'm in velen

---------- Updated at 01:22 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 01:22 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 01:25 PM ----------

Oh dear, I had heard of progression-breaking bugs, but I didn't investigate further for fear of spoilers. Are the bugs really that bad?
Unfortunately they are, main storyline bugs, like missing npcs and so

First of all, thank you so much @Verrenus , this post has already been useful so many times for me, I can't even show enough gratitude!...hmm... I actually can... just gave you a REDpoint :D
Now , one particular issue I had, was getting 5.1 audio to work over SPDIF using an Asus Xonar DSX sound card. However, thanks the following tweak in your compendium I was (almost) able to fix it.

Hope this can help some people and thanks again for creating this awesome thread!

Haha, that's great to hear, my friend! Enjoy your new surround sound witchering! :D

I have already updated the OP at your suggestion, thank you very much for your contribution! ;)

why you are sorry?there is nothing to be sorry in what i said,i just stated that i tried already thatOo ..anyway, as soon as i read of the above 512 shadowmaps glitch i didn't dare to touch those settings. What i was speaking about, happens without messing with those settings. In interior i had no issues so far with shadows. At least i had no crashes so far. I'm in Velen. Unfortunately they are, main storyline bugs, like missing npcs and so

I was saying I was sorry because my wish is to see everyone playing The Witcher 3 without issue. I know that is a lofty goal, but it's the reason this thread was created in the first place. With all of your collective contributions, I am sure we can tweak/fix this game for good in the (hopefully not too distant) future! ;)

Progression-halting bugs are the worst, but CD Projekt RED will hopefully address all of them in patch 1.05, which is due to come in only a few days now! :D

Well, since I fixed all my issues I can get back to...shooting. I can't help myself, this game can look so gorgeous. I want to play but... :p

Here are some heavily tweaked (for highest IQ) shots I got with the resources I picked up here and on that nvidia guide: (no spoilers, characters are spawned)

Some more here if you likes.

I was saying I was sorry because my wish is to see everyone playing The Witcher 3 without issue. I know that is a lofty goal, but it's the reason this thread was created in the first place. With all of your collective contributions, I am sure we can tweak/fix this game for good in the (hopefully not too distant) future! ;)
progression-halting bugs are the worst, but CD Projekt RED will hopefully address all of them in patch 1.05, which is due to come in only a few days now! :D
I heard 1.05 fix a specific issue that happens to some. That is to say, losing skillpoints previously assigned to a skill,terrible bug!!!

Hi guys,

I used to play with the Sharpen settings set on High because the textures look way better.
But due to its performance cost, especially since the release of the 1.04 patch, I lose a lot of FPS and I had to set it on Low or off.

Do you guys know how I could tweak this so I get a result close to High with at almost no performance cost?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I used to play with the Sharpen settings set on High because the textures look way better.
But due to its performance cost, especially since the release of the 1.04 patch, I lose a lot of FPS and I had to set it on Low or off.

Do you guys know how I could tweak this so I get a result close to High with at almost no performance cost?

Thanks

Check if ubersampling is enabled as well. could be the problem

in your user_settings file in the witcher 3 documents folder,search for RENDERING and under that UBERSAMPLING

Thanks but I don't have any Ubersampling line in it :

[Rendering]
GrassDensity=2000
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=32
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=1.2
MaxTextureAnizotropy=8
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000
TextureMemoryBudget=800
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.2
MeshLODDistanceScale=1
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
TerrainReadAheadDistance=200
HairWorksLevel=0
MaxTextureAnisotropy=16
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=3
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureMipBias=-1
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=20
CascadeShadowmapSize=2048
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1
CascadeShadowQuality=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=1

Thanks but I don't have any Ubersampling line in it :

[Rendering]
GrassDensity=2000
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=32
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=1.2
MaxTextureAnizotropy=8
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000
TextureMemoryBudget=800
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.2
MeshLODDistanceScale=1
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
TerrainReadAheadDistance=200
HairWorksLevel=0
MaxTextureAnisotropy=16
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=3
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureMipBias=-1
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=20
CascadeShadowmapSize=2048
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1
CascadeShadowQuality=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=1

That's because it's not actually sharpening, nor "ubersampling" that's causing your framerate issues! :p

What patch 1.04 introduced is TextureMipBias tweaks when changing the in-game Texture Quality setting (i.e. Texture Quality on "High" now sets TextureMipBias to "-0.4", while "Ultra" sets it to "-1", like you have it now). Sharpening is a mere post-processing effect with an insignificant 0.5 FPS impact, but TextureMipBias actually makes you lose about 5 FPS!

To bring back things to what they were before, enable "Ultra" textures in-game, then manually edit your TextureMipBias in your user.settings file to "0". Save your changes and then start the game as normal, but don't touch the Texture Quality in-game settings any more, as it will overwrite the above tweak! Don't worry if the Texture Quality will be shown as "Low", the game will actually keep using "Ultra" quality textures. Finally, just turn up Sharpening however high you want through the post-processing in-game options menu and you will have sharp textures once again at no cost to your performance! :D

Last edited:
That's because it's not actually sharpening, nor "ubersampling" that's causing your framerate issues! :p

What patch 1.04 introduced is TextureMipBias tweaks when changing the Texture Quality setting (i.e. "High" now sets TextureMipBias to "-0.4" and "Ultra" sets it to "-1", like you have it now). Sharpening is a mere post-processing effect with an insignificant 0.5 FPS impact, but TextureMipBias makes you lose about 5 FPS!

Just enable "Ultra" textures in-game, then manually edit your TextureMipBias to "0". Then simply save your user.settings file changes and don't touch the Texture Quality in-game settings any more, as it will revert your tweaks! Just turn up Sharpening however high you want in the in-game options menu and you will have sharp textures once again at no cost to performance! :D

Thanks! I'll try that!

What patch 1.04 introduced is TextureMipBias tweaks when changing the in-game Texture Quality setting (i.e. Texture Quality on "High" now sets TextureMipBias to "-0.4", while "Ultra" sets it to "-1", like you have it now). Sharpening is a mere post-processing effect with an insignificant 0.5 FPS impact, but TextureMipBias actually makes you lose about 5 FPS!

To bring back things to what they were before, enable "Ultra" textures in-game, then manually edit your TextureMipBias in your user.settings file to "0". Simply save your changes and then start the game as normal, but don't touch the Texture Quality in-game settings any more, as it will revert your tweaks! Don't worry if Texture Quality is shown as "Low", the game will keep using "Ultra" quality textures. Just turn up Sharpening however high you want in the in-game options menu and you will have sharp textures once again at no cost to performance! :D
mm, could be a hidden settings than, bacause int he tool showsOo

Attachments

• uber.JPG
    uber.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Sharpening is a mere post-processing effect with an insignificant 0.5 FPS impact, but TextureMipBias actually makes you lose about 5 FPS!
Yes, because Sharpening is just adding fake detail. TextureMipBias is adding real detail by loading higher resolution mips at further distances. It also dramatically improves the quality of distant foliage. I would go as far to say that foliage almost looks cartoony without a negative mip bias, but I would call it "chunky" or "billboardy" if I were to try to describe it to someone else.

(I suggest opening the images at full size in new tabs)

TextureMipBias=0

TextureMipBias=-1

I believe I have Sharpening set to Low, but if you want to avoid the moire patterns / shimmering on certain ground textures, it will be greatly reduced if you just turn Sharpening completely off.

Anyway, trees just look very... impressionistic without a negative mip bias. I can't stand it and it's definitely worth the couple FPS to fix. I want to make sure people understand they're also worsening the quality of all their foliage.

Finally, just turn up Sharpening however high you want through the post-processing in-game options menu and you will have sharp textures once again at no cost to your performance! :D
Yes, also at the cost of it worsening aliasing. Since it's a post process it catches all edges. And again, it's a fake sharpness... Running a sharpening filter on a blurry mip level is a lot different than just sampling a higher resolution mip.

Also, -1 and 0 aren't the only options. If you want higher performance and less ground shimmering, you can always try -0.7 or -0.4.

-----

I've started using UseMipRefiner=true because it improves textures that even TextureMipBias=-1 does not. For example:

UseMipRefiner=false, TextureMipBias=-1

UseMipRefiner=true, TextureMipBias=-1

The parts with the white thread are improved immensely with UseMipRefiner=true. I believe I already have Sharpening set to Low in both images.

Yes, because Sharpening is just adding fake detail. TextureMipBias is adding real detail by loading higher resolution mips at further distances. It also dramatically improves the quality of distant foliage. I would go as far to say that foliage almost looks cartoony without a negative mip bias, but I would call it "chunky" or "billboardy" if I were to try to describe it to someone else.

TextureMipBias=0

TextureMipBias=-1

I believe I have Sharpening set to Low, but if you want to avoid the moire patterns / shimmering on certain ground textures, it will be greatly reduced if you just turn Sharpening completely off.

Anyway, trees just look very... impressionistic without a negative mip bias. I can't stand it and it's definitely worth the couple FPS to fix. I want to make sure people understand they're also worsening the quality of all their foliage.

Yes, also at the cost of it worsening aliasing. Since it's a post process it catches all edges. And again, it's a fake sharpness... Running a sharpening filter on a blurry mip level is a lot different than just sampling a higher resolution mip.

Also, -1 and 0 aren't the only options. If you want higher performance and less ground shimmering, you can always try -0.7 or -0.4.

-----

I've started using UseMipRefiner=true because it improves textures that even TextureMipBias=-1 does not. For example:

The parts with the white thread are improved immensely with UseMipRefiner=true. I believe I already have Sharpening set to Low in both images.

The white threads on Geralt's jacket indeed looke better and more detailed with UseMipRefiner on. However as far as the first image goes (with the foliage) I don't agree - if you look closely at the tree branches you'll notice jagged lines like antialiasing is turned off.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll try that!

No problem and if you find the time, please report back with your results. Until then, good luck and have loads of fun playing the game! :D

mm, could be a hidden settings than, bacause int he tool showsOo

I wouldn't go tweaking with the tool myself. I know it's a bit more daunting to locate and modify individual files and variables, but it's worth knowing exactly what parameters you are changing and by how much. That way you can very easily figure out what to fix should anything go terribly wrong!

The reason you are not seeing the TextureMipBias variable in your user.settings file is because you have set it to "0" via the tool. Whenever you do that, the variable simply disappears altogether from the user.settings file until you reset it by tweaking the in-game Texture Quality setting. ;)

guys ! look what i found (thanks to @Kiobi ):

it seems that global illumination is only active during cutscenes, and it looks awesome ! and it looks like the same lightning that was used during the E3 2014 demo. can't we find a way to activate Global illumination at all times and not just in cutscenes ?

Oh damn, that looks amazingly good and there should definitely be a way of forcing cinematic lighting throughout the entire game! :(

I was actually hoping Asmodean's ForceCinematicModeOn=true tweak would do the trick, but apparently it does nothing at the moment. I really hope CD Projekt RED will enable us to tweak such effects with future patches! :yes

TextureMipBias=0

TextureMipBias=-1

-----

Thank you very, very much for your contribution and, of course, you are absolutely right, jonwd7! ;)

I was merely trying to show RockinMad how to revert the framerate impact caused by patch 1.04 and the resulting increases in TextureMipBias so that he might return to the performance he was seeing with patch 1.03. I actually used Sharpening on "Low" and had TextureMipBias=0 myself, but after seeing your pictures and the enormous improvement this variable can bring to overall image quality, I think I'm going to turn Sharpening completely off and set TextureMipBias to "-0.7", as recommended by Andrew Burnes in the official NVIDIA tweaking and performance guide!

I had also been using UseMipRefiner=true ever since I learned about it and it's a very noticeable improvement over the vanilla game. It's definitely one of the tweaks that I could heartily recommend to everyone here! :D

---------- Post merged on 01-06-2015 at 12:01 AM ----------

New NVIDIA drivers (353.06 WHQL), everyone, grab them while they are hot! I have also updated the OP with the new release, but remember to always choose to do a clean install of the new drivers, so that you might save yourself some potential trouble later on! :D

Last edited:
I don't agree - if you look closely at the tree branches you'll jagged lines like antialiasing is turned off.
The actual tree branches are identical in both, as far as their geometric outlines go. Branches are not anti-aliased at all, or if they are it's temporal and so doesn't show in screenshots. The "branches" that are actually 2D textures, yes they are going to get thinner, but I think you're missing the million leaves that look like giant cartoony pieces of construction paper in the TextureMipBias=0 image.

I've circled the worst problem areas (best to enlarge and compare against the negative mip image):

Basically the distant foliage looks like paint-by-numbers, or coloring paper cutouts. I think the worst is the right most circle, with the dark leaves against the sky. And the middle tree legitimately looks like a painting of a tree and not a tree.

The leftmost circle, the backlighting on the leaves looks very soupy and blocky and impressionistic.

It's even worse in motion because it just looks like these giant cutouts moving in the wind. Whereas with the negative mip bias, more of the sky pokes through so it looks like actual leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom