Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Triss, Geralt, The Wild Hunt, and maybe more all looked better in pre-release footage so yeah I do complain about those lol. It's generally very good though, NPCs look better than main characters from other WRPGs.

This is called subsurface scattering I think.

Only for info
Its unlikely to be subsurface scattering (SSS).While SSS has been around fopr a while, I think become mainstream since 2005-2006 in CG world. SSS realtime is still pretty early in game development. I think UE4 has SSS material only in recent version (need to check)

In any case, you do not use SSS on clothes, metals & hair. SSS is use mainly in translucence meshes like skin or candles.

I'm trying to upload picture files here but can't. In any case, all anybody need to is look at rock textures at anything closer than a good distance. The textures look like they came straight out of vanilla Quake 2s game assets from the late nineties. Rocks are far from being the only asset with this issue, bad textures on chairs that characters are sitting on become very noticeable when in conversation mode, and I could go on and on. Looking at VRAM usage, it never goes above 2GBs on my 980s, and that's at 4K. Are we seriously expected to believe that the textures are so because our hardware can't handle it? And don't get me started on the inconsistent lighting with the gulf in quality between conversation mode and play mode being painfully obvious, the lack of lighting sources which cause shadows, and lack of mist around the mountains.

image upload no limit

print screen windows 7

pic upload

imgur

Only for info
Its unlikely to be subsurface scattering (SSS).While SSS has been around fopr a while, I think become mainstream since 2005-2006 in CG world. SSS realtime is still pretty early in game development. I think UE4 has SSS material only in recent version (need to check)

In any case, you do not use SSS on clothes, metals & hair. SSS is use mainly in translucence meshes like skin or candles.
This is not correct, some games use it for more than just skin. It's used mostly for faces because it makes characters look a lot more realistic than without it but it has that same effect on vegetation. You can also use it for any material and it gives that gorgeous sheen on the edges on really specular materials, ENB for instance hacks it into Skyrim so it's not even that hard on performance. I can't argue this is what exactly was removed from the game but I believe that's a good guess because you can see it pretty clearly.
In any case the speculars were better rendered, whether or not it was SSS is up for debate.

@Kiobi
It bothers me so much that the wonderful lighting that isn't baked gets turned off when you exist a conversation or contextual cutscene. I hope we can force it on at all times sometime soon.

Last edited:
What i dont understand is why people talk so much about modding. Reality is if a mod-kit is not released within a reasonable time of the release of the game modding will be dead before it even starts.

All we see now are some small - more or less easy to do - mods. If they really will release the Mod-Kit after the DLC they can just not release the Modkit at all.

You can find my VGX settings file here https://mega.co.nz/#!kVYjFIIL!VzOOm2...BdZV9kTM7KFQ_s
It was made to only look good at that particular spot, during that particular time of day (dawn and clear).

I will not update Project Destiny to look like VGX as that preset is going for a "SoD/35 minute demo" look. If I manage to tweak the VGX settings file so that it can be used for the whole game I will upload it as a new and separate preset. With that said presets like this one for example https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3710/ already exists.

Alright, thanks a lot. However, I think I phrased my question in a slightly wrong way. With "replicate the above scene" I didn't mean that Project Destiny should look more like VGX, I was just curious how this spot of the game would look like with your Project Destiny preset. So, any chance you could add a screenshot, maybe even a comparison of Project Destiny vs. Vanilla of that spot?

@Witcherman
Me to...the game is really great. Conversation mode seems to have subsuface on, selfshadow & GI. I dont get it why they turned this off in gameplay, it cost 5 - 10 fps. Geralt at night looks so flat. I have recorded transition and when you speed up you can clearly feel and see that transition is recorded inside engine. like mixing faders. Transition ocurs in two steps to be presicely. Very slow, like when you want to hide something. :)

Last edited:
@Witcherman
Me to...the game is really great. Conversation mode seems to have subsuface on, selfshadow & GI. I dont get it why they turned this off in gameplay, it cost 5 - 10 fps. Geralt at night looks so flat. I have recorded transition and when you speed up you can clearly feel and see that transition is recorded inside engine. like mixing faders. Transition ocurs in two steps to be presicely. Very slow, like when you want to hide something. :)
Could you make a webm or a youtube video? Might be easier for some people to see what the difference is.

If this company has fallen for consoles there is no hope for pc gaming. It is no secret the graphics were brought down.

Then again with all the performance issues threads, I am not sure how well the "old" awesome graphics would've worked.

The graphics are amazing on this game on Ultra for PC and are even some of the best on the consoles. Not sure why people keep complaining about the graphics.
Also no game looks exactly like it does at E3 when its debuted years in advance because those games are just vertical slices and give up the REZ and graphics because its not the full game.

Also at E3 i seem to remember a TON of screen tearing in the game and there is zero on the released versions. Ill take slighter less graphics and no screen tearing the better graphics and tons of screen tearing.

I was just curious how this spot of the game would look like with your Project Destiny preset. So, any chance you could add a screenshot, maybe even a comparison of Project Destiny vs. Vanilla of that spot?

That can certainly be arranged

Vanilla

PD v1.02

Ya it's funny I have it on PC with sli 980 full ultra looks good then I just got it on ps4 and honestly looks better and overall a better experience on the ps4. PC version needs the PC graphics back that's for sure.

Normally if they put all options in you have performance issues, then you ask for optimization. You do realize that most of the "optimization" means downscaling the effects /the amount of instructions,right? I don't know abt FC4 but most of the games who run "modern" effects without performance dropping use just a fraction of the real effect or emulation.

The graphics are amazing on this game on Ultra for PC and are even some of the best on the consoles. Not sure why people keep complaining about the graphics.
That can be a subjective argument but there are a lot of games with better graphics on the consoles. Like, outright better. The game looks pretty bad on PS4.
Also no game looks exactly like it does at E3 when its debuted years in advance because those games are just vertical slices and give up the REZ and graphics because its not the full game.
The Witcher 2 looked better on release than at the E3 prior.

And screen tearing isn't usually a development fault, that has to do with your system. When I disable the frame limiter I get tearing all day.

After playing the ps4 version and actually impressed with how it runs and looks, I've come to conclusion that their is way to much pixel counting going on. Have fun chasing your tails with graphical arguments. Time to go enjoy the game my friends. Oh and ps ps4 version looks great but I think it's very dependent upon the quality of TV folks have.

This is not correct, some games use it for more than just skin. It's used mostly for faces because it makes characters look a lot more realistic than without it but it has that same effect on vegetation. You can also use it for any material and it gives that gorgeous sheen on the edges on really specular materials, ENB for instance hacks it into Skyrim so it's not even that hard on performance. I can't argue this is what exactly was removed from the game but I believe that's a good guess because you can see it pretty clearly.
In any case the speculars were better rendered, whether or not it was SSS is up for debate.

I am confuse, you mean the final game has SSS on grass or the trailer? In the trailer, I could believe some simplify form of SSS may be used. I do not disagree that SSS can are use for more than just skin. I am just saying SSS are used most often in Skins & translucene objects as SSS is simulating of translucency. Its use in skin, because we have a thin layer of very subtle tranlucency.

Last edited:
That can be a subjective argument but there are a lot of games with better graphics on the consoles. Like, outright better. The game looks pretty bad on PS4.

The Witcher 2 looked better on release than at the E3 prior.

And screen tearing isn't usually a development fault, that has to do with your system. When I disable the frame limiter I get tearing all day.

The game looks great on PS4 and is one of the best looking games on PS4, not sure what you are talking about. And what games on console look better than W3 especially open world ones. Draagonage does not come close. I would say this looks better than blood borne and blood born is levels and not an open world. It doesn't look better than 2nd son and that is open world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom