The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt IS OFFICIAL!

+
AS we wander further off topic...Dragon! How COULD YOU!...didn't CDPR mention they already had a third game in development? Or was that the DOTA thing?

And I'd still play any witcher game they made next. Such a great setting. I'd prefer to be a sorc, but an agent, a spy, a common soldier, a politico/aristocrat..all of these also awesome.

oh right the dota thing game........never played it...

CD should be careful with more Witcher games or they end up milking their own franchise to death in the end like many other companies right now

oh right the dota thing game........never played it...

CD should be careful with more Witcher games or they end up milking their own franchise to death in the end like many other companies right now

I'd be content if this was the last witcher game tbh. Not only does it end on a high note but really I want to see CDPR spread their wings and either try out other genres/stories (still want that Call of Cthulhu game) or even make their own unique world which would be the ultimate test of their creativity imo.

Forum veteran
Finally found

Sile.

I knew she was in there somewhere.

And of course, she dies five minutes after you find her because CDPR hates the idea of me being happy. Still, the scene was kind of beautiful in its own way. The second game presented her as a dignified loner, and a one-off about her donating money to widows and orphans suggested that she understood (and probably herself felt) that degree of loneliness. No matter how you do it, she doesn't die alone, so it carries a certain sense of subtle resolution that I liked despite the initial bitterness.

Never understood why so many people hated my Silemuffin. Tsk, tsk; something something adage about books and covers.

So how fucking good is the quest design in this game? Am I just being a fanboy or have they set a new standard here? I'm, slobbering all over myself thinking what they'll do with '77.

It is simply the best I've seen since fallout 2 or torment. Given the quality of writing and superior gameplay, probably even better.

Forum veteran
Better than Fallout 2's quest design? Yeah, definitely, but Planescape? That might be stretching it a bit. Sure, the quests are almost universally great and the writing is probably the best in the series in terms of even the smallest quests having something distinct and interesting about them, but the main story loses its focus a few times because of all of the busywork you have to do for people. I mean, why on earth can't Geralt just Axii the Baron's mind and force him to tell him what he needs to know?

Anyway, I finished the game and a fairly sizable portion of the sidequests. Lots of fun, but for all the talk of 36 different endings, you really only get one of three as far as Ciri is concerned, and several important characters are completely ignored later on in the game.

Finally, a PSA: at one point in the game you'll have the opportunity to drink with your witcher friends. Choose the dialogue option that's to the effect of "let's do something interesting" and descend further and further into craziness. The end result is easily the best scene in the entire game.

Better than Fallout 2's quest design? Yeah, definitely, but Planescape? That might be stretching it a bit. Sure, the quests are almost universally great and the writing is probably the best in the series in terms of even the smallest quests having something distinct and interesting about them, but the main story loses its focus a few times because of all of the busywork you have to do for people. I mean, why on earth can't Geralt just Axii the Baron's mind and force him to tell him what he needs to know?

Anyway, I finished the game and a fairly sizable portion of the sidequests. Lots of fun, but for all the talk of 36 different endings, you really only get one of three as far as Ciri is concerned, and several important characters are completely ignored later on in the game.

Finally, a PSA: at one point in the game you'll have the opportunity to drink with your witcher friends. Choose the dialogue option that's to the effect of "let's do something interesting" and descend further and further into craziness. The end result is easily the best scene in the entire game.

Just like the last games, I think we'll have to replay to make a final judgment. I grew to love those games in the 3rd or 4th time through. There was so much to take in and so many variables.

I played torment recently. Lots of dumb quests and wtf moments. Hello, hall of sensate tread mill extravaganza... But yeah, not sure if better than those, but the best I've played since those. Like the best of bloodlines, again and again. Nothing as scary as the hotel though... Not yet. What level did you make it to, 227? How do you feel about no leveling for 2077…?

Forum veteran
Just like the last games, I think we'll have to replay to make a final judgment. I grew to love those games in the 3rd or 4th time through. There was so much to take in and so many variables.
True. The lack of variety seems to revolve around the endings (judging from the people who have reported their endings, and the huge amount of similarity between what everyone got) rather than the quests themselves, many of which have alternate ways of playing out. Then there are little touches like some alternate dialogue if you do Skellige before Velen. That said, there are other things that seem like they could play out differently, but really don't. For example, there's a character later on who told me that he wouldn't help me with something because I didn't find his treasure. I found it for him on my current (second) playthrough, but he still finds an excuse for not helping. There are a few instances of that that are a bit disappointing.

Hello, hall of sensate tread mill extravaganza...
Whaaaaaaaaat? I loved the Hall of Sensates; it helped you understand Fall-From-Grace by fleshing out just what a sensate is, not to mention giving you a glimpse into the relationship between Deionarra and your previous incarnation. My point is that the pacing in Witcher 3 doesn't quite fit the urgency of the circumstance, and Yen and Triss seem to be the only ones willing to go to great lengths to help. Meanwhile, you're running errands for a bunch of nobodies. Ideally there'd be a quicker way of getting information that came with significant downsides. Maybe something that cost a ton of money or was insanely difficult to pull off.

What level did you make it to, 227? How do you feel about no leveling for 2077…?
Something like... 32, I think? I was level 27-28 when I reached the point of no return judging by my awesome white armor that has a level requirement of 27, and the last few quests bumped my level up quite a bit. Probably could have reached higher levels than that, but I did a bunch of quests with high level requirements early on and they bumped me up so that low-level quests grayed out and didn't offer experience anymore.

No leveling would work for me, though I'd probably miss the sense of progression. It'd be worth the trade-off if it meant being able to tackle missions based on what captures your interest instead of what's feasible given your level, though.

Nothing as scary as the hotel though...

Best part of the game hands down.

---------- Updated at 09:08 AM ----------

No leveling would work for me, though I'd probably miss the sense of progression. It'd be worth the trade-off if it meant being able to tackle missions based on what captures your interest instead of what's feasible given your level, though.

Even games without levels generally have a skill progression system, so you need to improve your skills before you can tackle some stuff.

Has anyone been able to snipe birds with the crossbow? I was hoping this would be possible. I love hunting in Red Dead, the only game that gets it right. and I was hoping for some remotely realistic animal AI in TW3, but I don't think it's there.

Has anyone been able to snipe birds with the crossbow? I was hoping this would be possible. I love hunting in Red Dead, the only game that gets it right. and I was hoping for some remotely realistic animal AI in TW3, but I don't think it's there.

Nope.

As for Red Dead Redemption, I found it lacked either the "walk out your back door and shoot the stupid animal in the neck as I prefer" feeling or, "go out on a long trip, wait hours for a shot you might hit, then drag corpse back suitable distance." Also the fun of butchering. I ove a good six hours - that's with power tools - spent cleaning and butchering. Mmm-M!

I spent many a Saturday afternoon sitting on the hog house roof plinking gophers at 1-500 yds with a bolt-action .22 ... good times.

Forum veteran
This thread has suddenly become a redneck-off. I once killed a bird mid-flight with my car (on accident, though it's impressive since it was flying the same direction I was driving), but that's about all the cred I have.

Another Witcher 3 PSA: You don't have to actually resolve the political situation in Skellige, and failing to do so before the endgame leads to one of the better scenes when you revisit. Some great C&C right there to allow inaction to be viable. Slightly unrelated spoiler example of bad/nonexistent C&C:

On the other hand, Ciri will ask about the Baron at one point and no matter what you tell her (either outcome, or a third if you didn't follow up with his quest where you tell her that you don't know), she'll respond with "a true shame." Kind of lazy, honestly.

Oh, and "Through Time and Space" is the worst quest ever. Enjoy the poison gases and deadly snow that are inconsistent about when you're safe. This hill? Totally deadly! The next one over that's slightly lower? TOTALLY SAFE FOR NO REASON. So much hate.

TW3 boards are fucked. I can't imagine the devs making sense out of it all.

They cruise certain threads, as far as I know. Mostly, they are at work patching like mad, or other projects like the expansion.

Boards are a mess. I wish to fix them in my...inimitable way, but can you imagine the screaming?

Top Bottom