What general abilities should I take with a sign build?

+
What general abilities should I take with a sign build?

Hello, just got the game and decided to go with a sign build, am currently putting points in igni. But any of the general abilities that are worth it like the one that gives stamina regen to medium armor?

Maybe anything from the other trees that would be worth it for sorcerer build?

I'm doing the same thing and ended up holding off on the medium armor ability until a bit later (level 7-9). I just wasn't finding much medium armor and the fact that mutagens don't effect those general traits made it a little lack luster early on.

I've found that the improved Quen is awesome...kind of a vampire build (heal when hit). I just upgraded...um...Yrden? the purple trap anyway to the one that does damage and destroys arrows. So far I'm loving that one too...it does a surprising amount of damage and it's not stated but it actually knocks enemies back.

Last edited:
You definitely want to get Gryphin School Training eventually.

You may also want to get Rage Management or Focus. I'm not sure which one is better for a Signs build. I know with Rage Management you can cast a lot of signs really quickly.

To help generate Adrenaline, you may want to get Resolve from the Swordsmanship tree (it's a tier 1 ability.)

FYI: Every 1% Sign Intensity increases your Signs damage, duration, and chance to cause critical-effects (knockdown for Aard, burning for Igni) by 1%. Base chance to cause critical-effect is 50%. So with 1% Sign intensity Aard has a 50.5% chance to knockdown. With 50% Sign intensity Aard has a 75% chance to knockdown, etc.

Last edited:
Alt Yrden, Axii (both), Quen (both), and Igni are all good. They are all useful in different situations. You can go for either version of Axii and Quen, depending on which one you like more. Also, definitely go for that Griffin school ability and wear some medium gear.

I'm level 10 in Death March, and there isn't anything that gives me trouble with the Signs build. You can watch this video to get an idea (minor lv 10 contract spoilers)

[video=youtube;pFjt-9B1pA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFjt-9B1pA0[/video]

Thanks all for your advise, Griffin school is indeed very good. Quen is the next ability I shall go for, I have now 5 points in igni.

I would suggest you go for Feline armor set or Griffin set. Because later in game you will have a potion that's restore your health everytime you cast a Sign. Therefore you need restore your energy quick. I also found upgraded Irden quite useful Axii also very awesome though i have to admit Kvin that reflects damage is not that good. Personally i like Feline more because you restore your energy quickly and have some nice bonuses however if feel yourself as a quite competent you can put on yourself some Ursine armor stuff. Just don't put them all and combine with feline or Griffin or you will be restoring your energy way too slow.
As you can see i prefer to rely on those Signs that serve your defence purpose because your main damage dealer will be a sword anyway.

Last edited:
I would even it out a bit rather than putting points into Medium to increase your Signs.
I would go for Light to make sword play bit better too.

I now got the magic trap alternate and that ones is very good, while it zaps enemies can you use other signs like igni. I did not like the igni alternate, after testing it reloaded I before I had taken that skill, I won't put any points in that alternate skill. The Quen alternate sounds good once you have 3 levels in that skill, haven't tested it yet thought.

Igni remains a good skill, most damage I did to the griffin was with igni(was on normal difficulty), I unlocked magic trap after I killed him so haven't tested that skill on him.

Top Bottom