I LIKE seeing a lot of loot. Don't Change a Thing CDPR!!

+
Either way, the loot should make sense. Currently loot from containers does not alot of the time.

Remember though, no game is perfect, no matter what, because people always have different ideas of what perfect should be. What's wrong with the loot for you, is fine for me and others.

No, it's not an opinion. It is a fact.
Rules exist in game design. If you place a lot of trash items and houses in which you can enter, you are breaking, in order:

1) Economic system - A lot of trash items with an high value means that you can do a lot of money. Which is wrong.
2) Exploration - If the itemization includes only boring an weak items and weapons, and the most powerful items are crafted, then there is no reward in the exploration. Expecially because you find all the crafting elements in a common house.
3) Narrative coherence - Seeing Geralt enter in a house and steal everything he see, it's just idiotic. And inconsistent.

So yes. The system is broken. And the fact that you like pointless loot doesn't make it less...pointless.
There are no trash items really, because they can either be sold or turned into components that can be used. Either way they are useful, so it's not pointless.

1) It's not wrong when you have to buy food on higher difficulty levels and repair equipment to remain effective. Money for doing quests can only get you so far. Especially when often you find a currency that's not used for trading (Orens and Florins).
2) Exploration can provide components for crafting. Not just for items (such as weapons or armor), but elixirs as well.
3) You are being right for the wrong reasons here: most people don't react when Geralt steals from them, although there are cases when stealing will get you in trouble. I liked how the first Gothic dealt with it.

If anything I'd like to see "ring of gathering" so to speak - when I am out in the wild I have to run from flower to flower in order to pick up 5 random flowers. This could be easily done by introducing the ability to loot every weed in a circle. This should make gathering herb less tedious. Could work for loot as well, although this is less of a problem to me.

Last edited:
What kind of choice? "hey gamer, you can choose to loot bags on the market or in houses without consequences and breaking the economic system, or you can choose to not do that".

Really?

No different than giving the gamer to option to play the game on easy and effortlessly wipe the floor with every enemy while suffering no consequences for it or choose not to do that and play the game on hard

Either way it's your choice and does not affect anyone else in the least.

My two cents:

I can live with the fact that there is a lot of loot to be had easily, it is a single player game after all and money cannot buy much anyway.

What I find more worrying is that most of the loot is utterly pointless, starting from bloated crafting ingrediens you are likely to never need for anything and ending with most items being strongly inferior to the witcher gear sets easily obtainable by following treasure hunt quests. Apart from repair costs and ocassional respec, money has no use either.

Case in point, on Saturday I looted all the smuggler's caches in skellige sea and apart from 1 level gained from shooting all those anoying sirens/drowners, I did not get a single schematic worth a damn or a single item better than I already had (no relic sword can match +20% sign intensity Griffin school swords have for a sign user).

The same issue comes up during those few side-quests, where you get a supposedly great family heirloom sword / mastercrafted armor and then you immediately turn around and sell it for gold as it's stats are much weaker than the stuff you are wearing.

On the other hand, some items I would really like to get more of (nekker hearts, ekimora hides,...) are simply unavailable or ridiculous to farm (2% drop rates).

TLDR: Yeah, loot is broken in this game.

I just don't agree with you. I think it's about choice, and that's the bottom line. I like to be able to chose my own destiny. If I want a ton of money, I can get it, if I don't, I don't have to. I agree weapons/armors need some work, but I don't think all of the loot is broken. I think it's hard enough to get money in this game. I think by endgame you should have amassed a ton of money and loot. Just my opinion though. I just hope that CDPR allows me to keep playing the way I want to.

But you don't have to check every bag, it's a choice you have. If it's annoying, then don't do it!

It's not really a choice when you really have no clue what you might find. You may bother to check with the expectations of finding water/food and end up wasting your time just to find candles and other junk. Even if you thought 'I would only bother to stop to find diamond dust', you may find it there, in a stupid bag on the floor of a poor peasant. Absurd.

And even in the case that you KNEW everything is going to be valuable and it was totally a conscious decision (which it isn't) to stop to steal it, there are so many places to loot in a small village that the player would end up looting like a cheap gipsy instead of acting like Geralt at all. Part of the responsibilities of a good design is helping the player do the funny things and avoid the repetitive and boring ones.

Last edited:
I think the loot system is great. I like finding things. I like looking forward to going to the next bunch of houses, or a village, or city, or whatever, wondering what I'll find in a barrel, box, or chest. People are just not happy no matter what anymore. It seems that someone always needs to have something to complain about. I say the leave the loot alone. I like finding a lot of loot and crafting mats!!!

I don't get it, I can't find the patch notes saying they're reducing loot. Am I this blind and dense? ~laughs~

I have no idea how you can manage to be without money, but even if that was true, what about this wild suggestion: what about loot that isn't worthless garbage but you don't have to pick in massive amounts, instead? Shockingly creative solution, don't you think?

Probably because I'm not selling a lot of ingredients. I'm still unclear about what resources I'll need for crafting later and which things to sell vs dismantle. So I'm probably sitting on tons of coin, but haven't cashed in or found enough merchants to sell to. :)

Also losing my hat in gwent and my worthless deck. heh

Probably been said, but there's too much loot... chests specifically all over the place..... it kills your sense of adventure and accomplishment because it just becomes a generic task constantly finding and opening chests everywhere.... I'm fine with common item loot being in all those bags and all over the place, but they need to tone down the number of chests... that way I could feel like I Actually accomplished something when I find a new chest full of stuff, instead of just thinking nothing of it and ride away as I currently do

I don't think they expected most of the stuff to be useful as is. I see all weapons and armor as care packages of components. They also have no idea what path the player is going to take when exploring, so something everywhere makes sense. The witcher gear is maybe just too good, or too easy to get, or a combination of the two.

Anyone expecting all of the loot to be hand placed is out of touch with reality. It just is what it is.

As far as the thing with the shells and the pearls, I find it hilarious. In such a depressing world full of famine and poverty, it is completely cheating the setting / game world / story to find a valuable pearl in every shell and have them forever stay the same price. This was either an oversight, or a design decision to accomodate those looking for exploits. It's free advertising for the game as well all over the web when these types of things do exist.

I also feel sorry for anyone that didn't play on Death March, but I do understand real life responsibilities and those that just want to enjoy the story. I happen to be disabled so I at least have a lot of free time to run around in this game world lol...

Can someone please link me the source of why this thread came into being?

Seriously? Are you just trying to start an argument or just plain trolling? If you don't have anything relevant to the conversation, go troll elsewhere. I have a right to post on these forums as much as you do.

How on earth was that considered trolling? I'm interested to know what the source is.

The source of what exactly? I'm stating my point that I like how CDPR did the loot. In a separate post, DAYS ago, I thought that loot containers had been nerfed on the PS-4. I was mistaken. That is not why I started this post, the reason I started this post was in response to the people saying they think the loot system is broken and needs an overhaul. I like all the loot I find everywhere, useless or not. I like seeing a lot of treasure chests, barrels to loot, boxes, whatever.

He asks a valid question, because not everyone is aware what's going on with loot and why someone has to make a thread about keeping loot (which is strange thing to defend, given that we play an RPG game, so loot is to be expected).

Top Bottom