I LIKE seeing a lot of loot. Don't Change a Thing CDPR!!

+
It's gives me a lot of stress. I don't like the loot system. Give me less boxes filled with trash. Make exploring rewardfull, instead of stressfull.

I don't think they expected most of the stuff to be useful as is. I see all weapons and armor as care packages of components. They also have no idea what path the player is going to take when exploring, so something everywhere makes sense. The witcher gear is maybe just too good, or too easy to get, or a combination of the two..

The problem is that...is not "something". You find a lot of things everywhere.

---------- Updated at 04:26 PM ----------

So, whats your solution? Make all the bags and boxes not lootable?

No. Reducing the loot and adjust the placement of it.
If you want to put the loot in some random peasant houses, then you need to develope a proper crime system. Either way, it's the placement the real problem. Some kind of loot need to be in the right place. There is really no point in putting leather, twine, iron, chandelier in an Elven ruin.

Because there is no point in exploration if you find the crafting materials everywhere, and there isn't a coherent place for the schemes, formulas etc...

And someone should really explain to me why you can find silver in a poor peasant's house.
It's simply bad.

Last edited:
Majority posters ITT.

Entitled people posting opinions as fact then over aggressively bashing other peoples opinions for being opinions that just so happen to differ from their own opinions just because they can't take that someone elses opinion doesn't fall in line with........ You guessed it... Their opinion.

I understand what you are saying. However, I like the fact that you find stuff everywhere. I'm glad you do. I agree though, that an Elven Ruin should have more items that are more valuable. But other than that, I like to pick up loot everywhere. That's just my play preference though.

I understand what you are saying. However, I like the fact that you find stuff everywhere. I'm glad you do. I agree though, that an Elven Ruin should have more items that are more valuable. But other than that, I like to pick up loot everywhere. That's just my play preference though.

But your playstyle wouldn't be affected by this kind of adjustment.
You can still pick up everything you find, but with the right placement, higher value stuff become more rare and in this way, economic system and exploration would be fix.
In a peasant house you can't find silver, just few materials and food. While you can find an higher value stuff in some ruins.
And a fix is needed even for the placement of schemes, formulas etc...I find a formula for a potion in a chest in the sewer.
In the sewer.

This is why the loot placement is really bad. It has been made without any care for level design. Why can I find a formula in the sewer?
Why can I find FOOD in the sewer?
Who put chests, bags etc... in the sewer?

Well, as to food in the sewer..In the United States, people live in sewers in bigger cities. I have a relative that is a city worker who got attacked by a vagrant living in a sewer. So, "RP'ing a bit, you really can find food in a sewer, this guy had a refrigerator down there. People who actually live down in these things have shopping carts in them, I've been told.

Well, as to food in the sewer..In the United States, people live in sewers in bigger cities. I have a relative that is a city worker who got attacked by a vagrant living in a sewer. So, "RP'ing a bit, you really can find food in a sewer, this guy had a refrigerator down there. People who actually live down in these things have shopping carts in them, I've been told.

Yeah, but...speaking of The Witcher universe...no one lives in the sewer...there are drowners down there.

Well, my guess is that they put stuff down there to people would always be finding things..it feeds the brain..dopamine. If you find stuff, it makes you want to keep looking and find more stuff. That is the thrill of all those lootable containers for me anyway..I just LOVE opening things. I guess, for me, I like to be able to craft things too. Not have to grind 20 million years to find that ingredient I need for a certain pattern or armor piece or weapon. So to me, if I find it in a barrel, that's awesome :)

Last edited:
Well, my guess is that they put stuff down there to people would always be finding things..it feeds the brain..dopamine. If you find stuff, it makes you want to keep looking and find more stuff. That is the thrill of all those lootable containers for me anyway..I just LOVE opening things.

And then, make few boxes and chests, but filled with some special items. In this way, you encourage the exploration.
But with this kind of looting system, in which you find a lot of useless stuff...there are 2 problems:

1) Looting became a mechanical action in which you find a lot of stuff that...shouldn't be there, and are...useless.
2) I can ignore them, but there is the risk that I miss some schemes or formulas. Because those items are placed in the same random bags of the useless items...so I have to open them all to be sure that I don't miss the special item.

And then, make few boxes and chests, but filled with some special items. In this way, you encourage the exploration.
But with this kind of looting system, in which you find a lot of useless stuff...there are 2 problems:

1) Looting became a mechanical action in which you find a lot of stuff that...shouldn't be there, and are...useless.
2) I can ignore them, but there is the risk that I miss some schemes or formulas. Because those items are placed in the same random bags of the useless items...so I have to open them all to be sure that I don't miss the special item.

Have you ever thought of opening a chest/crate and *blink* not picking everything up. It's your choice ;)

Have you ever thought of opening a chest/crate and *blink* not picking everything up. It's your choice ;)

Enough with this "is your choice".
It doesn't add anything to the discussion and it doesn't solve the problem.
No, it's not my choice. Finding a lot of useless stuff with an incoherent placement it's not my choice.
And still, the fact that I've to press the E button everytime, and everytime close the loot menu without picking up anything, just to make sure to not miss real interesting items....there isn't a universe in which this could be considered as a good design choice.

Enough with this "is your choice".
It doesn't add anything to the discussion and it doesn't solve the problem.
No, it's not my choice. Finding a lot of useless stuff with an incoherent placement it's not my choice.
And still, the fact that I've to press the E button everytime, and everytime close the loot menu without picking up anything, just to make sure to not miss real interesting items....there isn't a universe in which this could be considered as a good design choice.

Don't tell me, the keyboard gremlins 'made you pick it up' ;)

But that's the point.

If you design a game with a room of 10 loot-able chests.

Yet only 1 of them has something truly meaningful worth keeping.

Now you have to check all these loot-able chests to find that 1 item

Now take that 1 room and spread them in a world the size Witcher 3

That's not poor design?

You don't have to do anything is such a weak argument that can be applied to just about anything.

Don't tell me, the keyboard gremlins 'made you pick it up' ;)

Exactly.

Seriously, when you put in a room 20 bags, and 19 are filled with useless stuff...and you have to chek up all 20 to be sure to not miss a formula...it's an indefensible design choice.

But that's the point.

If you design a game with a room of 10 loot-able chests.

Yet only 1 of them has something truly meaningful worth keeping.

Now you have to check all these loot-able chests to find that 1 item

Now take that 1 room and spread them in a world the size Witcher 3

That's not poor design?

You don't have to do anything is such a weak argument that can be applied to just about anything.

So the solution to that would be that there should be no lootable objects unless they contain the very items you are looking for? Hence, "oo lootable, that's me done".

Exactly.

Seriously, when you put in a room 20 bags, and 19 are filled with useless stuff...and you have to chek up all 20 to be sure to not miss a formula...it's an indefensible design choice.

With this kind of 'you don't actually see the item you are picking up', you will always get that.

The only real alternative would be to make every item visibly disdinguishable ala Dishonoured where the item you were picking up was not in a chest per se but completely visible and didn't ping on a loot radar.

So the solution to that would be that there should be no lootable objects unless they contain the very items you are looking for? Hence, "oo lootable, that's me done".

No. a solution would be loot placement that makes some sort of sense in terms of it's location. for instance if I went to a peasants house I learn pretty quickly that I'll find food or peasant junk and maybe a few orens. I go to a hearbalists I'll find herbs and potions ect. I go to a majestic elvin ruin I'll find maybe elvin books, notes weapons ect obviously it takes a lot of work.

But hard work yields better results as is life.

No. a solution would be loot placement that makes some sort of sense in terms of it's location. for instance if I went to a peasants house I learn pretty quickly that I'll find food or peasant junk and maybe a few orens. I go to a hearbalists I'll find herbs and potions ect. I go to a majestic elvin ruin I'll find maybe elvin books, notes weapons ect obviously it takes a lot of work.

But hard work yields better results as is life.

Would a peasants hut not have herbs? Would a herbalist not have items of value? Would an elven ruin (are there elven ruins?) not have some paper kicking about?

Would a peasants hut not have herbs? Would a herbalist not have items of value? Would an elven ruin (are there elven ruins?) not have some paper kicking about?

I'm talking percentages. Of course you could find herbs at a peasants but they would be common herbs/ingrediants you can find anywhere. You shouldn't be finding something like diamond dust lol.

And no elvin ruins and other such unique locations shouldn't contain pieces of paper or stuff you would find from the peasentry to loot. They should be designed to house unique special items and those only to encourage going off the beaten path to secret locations and reward. Even if that means lowering the loot in those locations.

Like I said, Never said it was easy. But that doesn't mean it isn't a lazy/poor design choice either. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Top Bottom