Whyyyyy did they ruin all the armour?

+
Whyyyyy did they ruin all the armour?

The concepts looked bloody orgasmic, especially the bear armour with the spikes, patches and bear pelt hnnnnnnnnng. Then suddenly they completely mutalate them, give Geralt a beer belly, and make most armours look like a silly knight that I would slay in Witcher 3. Hear us CD, we love your game and its story, hear us as you are the only company that listens, bring back the badass likes of Witcher 2

That's my opinion as well. Hopefully mods will come to change those silly knight armours...

The only thing I dislike about the witcher gear armor sets is the color of the medium and light armours. I didn't like the armor in witcher 2 from an immersion perspective. They were just leathery bits of cloth. How it would have any meaningful affect on claws blows mine.

Hear us CD, we love your game and its story, hear us as you are the only company that listens, bring back the badass likes of Witcher 2
Yes, Witcher 2, where Geralt looked like a bloody court jester half the time. And he ran around in a hood like he was pretending to by Altiar --as if he had to rip off another video-game character to be cool . NO THANK YOU!

Dear CD Prokejt RED, we are your humble cocky fancase. We love the armor variety in The Witcher 3. You managed to incorporate armor styles from so many cultures and periods in history. My mind is blown, and now I must leave to clean it up. Amen.

Eskel and Lambert stole all the good jackets in Temeria.

Not a big fan of the belly cuirass myself. Yes, I know it's based on real armor, but I just find it pretty ugly and unfitting for Geralt anyway (and akin to him trying to wear heavy plate armor-level of unfitting), which is why I prefer wearing the Cat and Bear armors as opposed to the Griffin one.

If they were so dead set on adding some sort of medium armor, they should have went with the Slavic Lamellar or something along those lines at least.

Last edited:
Dear CD Prokejt RED, we are your humble cocky fancase. We love the armor variety in The Witcher 3. You managed to incorporate armor styles from so many cultures and periods in history. My mind is blown, and now I must leave to clean it up. Amen.

I think countering one absolute opinion with another like this is a bit counter-productive. A better solution to this problem would be to shove in a few armours reminiscent of Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 in addition to what we've already got. I mean, Lambert and Eskel are still wearing the traditional witcher stuff so evidently it's not crossed out of the franchise. It's just... missing. And should be added. Do you disagree?

I mean, looking at the most iconic looks from the two previous games, it's just something that isn't in The Witcher 3 at all. That is, I believe, what many people would like the option to play through the game with. The classic Geralt look. Nothing more, nothing less.

Attachments

• Namnlös.jpg
    Namnlös.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3,009
As people have already mentioned, i don't like the Knightly/Jesterly armor in the game either. I liked the concept armor before it was changed, and i also like simple armor without too much fluff hanging that serves no purpose other than being there. Back then i also think people would prefer armor being simple and functional, instead of having bits and pieces hanging.

This is what i dont get as well..
Especially the access to a plate or half-plates. Geralt always said that armour aint gonna save you when some monster hits you with its tail, so thats why they rely on their superhuman reaction rather than armour itself. Even here when you investigate corpses of people he sometimes says "jaws are strong enough to bite trough plate armour". Most of the armours are good for soldiers or knights, but not the witchers. No style, no usability.
The one pleasant exception is a cat school set. The bear armour looks fine, but not even remotely as cool as the art was, especially the high tiers with silly brown scarf and plate gauntlets... Griffin set is just a joke starting with Tier 3 upgrade.

I think countering one absolute opinion with another like this is a bit counter-productive.
In that case I will try to be a bit more conversational.

I mean, looking at the most iconic looks from the two previous games, it's just something that isn't in The Witcher 3 at all. That is, I believe, what many people would like the option to play through the game with. The classic Geralt look. Nothing more, nothing less.
See --I don't consider that the classic Geralt look, at least not the one on the right. I am someone who played Rise of The White Wolf before Assassins of Kings, and only played the games one year apart. And coming from the Rise of The White Wolf I actually disliked the armor in Assassins of Kings (I may be in the minority here.)

I liked the fact that in Rise of The White Wolf Geralt's armor was extremely simplistic and seemed like the kind of thing a Witcher would wear in reality. It was light, so he could move quickly. As master swordsmen, Witchers don't need heavy armor because if they can't ward off enemy blows with their swords then they are as good as dead anyways. IMO Assassins of Kings stepped armor up and made it more elaborate. There was tons of things hanging off it that I wasn't sure Geralt would ever use. And for that reason I didn't like it as much as the first game.

I consider Wild Hunt a step up simply because it has tons more armors than in the previous games, as well as three different armor classes. We could argue for days about whether or not there is a lore justification for Geralt to ever wear anything above light armor (I don't think there is --as I already said, if he can't defend himself with his sword he is as good as dead anways.) But at the end of the day Wild Hunt is an open world game with tons of different armors, and for that it needs variety. Which is exactly what the devs succeeded at creating.

Now, I agree that many of the armors feel very "un-Geralt-ish." They don't give me the "lethal warrior-monk" vibe that Rise of The White Wolf did. But I will give them props for allowing you to wear the same armor as NPCs -- something you could never do in Assassins of Kings. I think this helps to immerse yourself deeper into the world of the game --something that's important for a fantasy as rich as The Witcher. A casual gamer is going to walk around wearing Redanian armor and then notice only Redenian NPCs wear it. As a result he/she will feel more connected with the world. They also incorporated a lot of diverse styles from history, something I have mentioned before, and even though they aren't very Geralt-ish I will give them props for handling armors the best way possible for the type of game that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is: an open-world RPG with a rich lore and extensive item game.

Last edited:
We don't really disagree much, I reckon, especially not about:

We could argue for days about whether or not there is a lore justification for Geralt to ever wear anything above light armor (I don't think there is --as I already said, if he can't defend himself with his sword he is as good as dead anways.) But at the end of the day Wild Hunt is an open world game with tons of different armors, and for that it needs variety. Which is exactly what the devs succeeded at creating.

I get what you're saying about the Witcher 2 armours. They're very elaborate and cluttered to some extent. That's not what I'm talking about, though - I'm only talking about the style of them. The classic vest+shirt and jackets. However, I don't agree that The Witcher 3 gave us much variety. Variety in function? Certainly. But not in appearance. The vast majority of armours in this game are colourful and pot-bellied. They have variety among themselves, but they're almost all colourful and pot-bellied. And I get the impression that most people avoid them like the plague because they can't take Geralt seriously in them.

I'd just like some of the simple, iconic witcher outfits back. The Witcher 1 look especially, since that is most "Geralt" as I see it. I would be extremely pleased if I could just wear this in The Witcher 3, though:

Attachments

• leather jacket.jpg
    leather jacket.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 4,038
I liked the tier 1 version of the cat armor, but would really prefer it had sleeves, then it would look kind of like what Geralt wore in TW1

And yes, a leather jacket like the starting gear from TW2 and the jacket Eskel is wearing would be awesome!

Kaer Morhen armor looks amazing, but it becomes useless past the prologue =(

Also, where the hell is my Raven's armor that I wore through the entirety of TW2? On that same note, where is Aerondight?!

I just hate all the big, fat, beer belly armour sets. They suit for the everyday soldiers of Temeria, but not for a Witcher, where he solely relies on agility and footwork, not taking rains of blows on leather armour, which would be unwise.

In that case I will try to be a bit more conversational.

See --I don't consider that the classic Geralt look, at least not the one on the right. I am someone who played Rise of The White Wolf before Assassins of Kings, and only played the games one year apart. And coming from the Rise of The White Wolf I actually disliked the armor in Assassins of Kings (I may be in the minority here.)

Ehm, just a quick Wuestion: I always thought Rise of the White wolf was the never released console version of Witcher 1...did I miss something there?

On the topic: I aggree with most of what was said. I think the armor style tends to be realistic, the concept art was way cooler and I will never understand why the griffin armor has to be this belly like thing...looks like a thick steel plate. Admittedly hardened leather can take this form but the biggest gripe I have with these Armors is they just don't look like something a Witcher would wear. At least not to me...
The Temerian Armor set looks fine, The Niflgardian one coming out this week looks fine as well and I think most armors don't look outright bad....but not really good either.

The concepts looked bloody orgasmic, especially the bear armour with the spikes, patches and bear pelt hnnnnnnnnng. Then suddenly they completely mutalate them, give Geralt a beer belly, and make most armours look like a silly knight that I would slay in Witcher 3. Hear us CD, we love your game and its story, hear us as you are the only company that listens, bring back the badass likes of Witcher 2

Sadly, this occurs with literally EVERY GAME with customization.

I remember how awesome the concepts for various outfits in AC Unity were.

Then came release. 90 percent of them are lore bashing awkward looking pieces of crap.

Witchr 3 armor seems a bit better I think. But still is a bit disappointing. I was looking forward to armors that might take use of hair works.

There's Witcher armors and there's common armors that's meant for the regular military and the likes. I for one think they did a terrific job capturing the regular armors (yes, that stuff actually looks like that in real life) and the witcher sets look witchery enough to me.

Totally agreed.

I actually went for looks > stats, I'm level 34 and it's not like the game is difficult anyway on that level. I'm just wearing what looks the best. There are some pieces, Ursine mastercrafted, Thyssen Armour, and some other medium armour pieces that look nice. But most armour makes Geralt looks like either a jester or a medieval knight.

I don't know what went wrong but most armour looks plain awful. The light armour Assassins gauntlets and pants for example, purple/pink gauntlets and sky-blue pants. The stats on them are amazing, but they look ridiculous.

To be honest it may not be the armour that looks bad, but the horrible color combinations makes absolutely nothing match.

Also I don't really like the Griffin mastercrafted chestpiece, the shape kind of looks like an egg. And the golden chainmail... jesus why can't it be grey or something. Not golden. Golden armour reminds me of Prince Penis... uh, Stennis.

Last edited:
Yeah I am not a fan of the armor design (witcher gear, not others). I just don't see Witchers from those schools wearing that.

Top Bottom