Anita attacks Witcher 3 over sexism

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many things I disagree with in the points Anita makes as well as some things I agree with.
What does critics little credit is getting angry with her personally, making comments about her mental stability / dress sense / points unrelated to her criticism.

I have not found The Witcher 3 to deserve the accusations of bigotry that some make of it,
though those accusations could be reasonably be made of some fans who can seemingly only defend the game by making personal attacks.

I think the method she uses to change the industry in her vision (the shittiest version) is to influence big review sites to start considering elements of a game they PERCEIVE as being sexist or games that don't hamfistedly pander to SJW by including black people or women where they don't fit legitimate flaws, like a gamebreaking bug or poor game mechanic.

Imagine if every review site was like Polygon and every review site spewed retarded crap like in the TW3 review by some mongoloid with 50 IQ. The best part of that review was where the retard in question said that while TW3 depicts non-human races, they are all white. The review spent whole paragraphs giving lavish praise to TW3 until that part and it got an 8 because of it. Fucking retarded.

Now I know that review sites are largely irrelevant to a big portion of gamers these days but the fact is that casual gamers (who are the majority) still listen to these review sites. So if all of these review sites were to become like Polygon we would ALL be screwed and games like TW3 would greatly suffer.

she is just trying to push her fame with that wanna-be-feminim bullshit... and seems to be quite successful in doing so.

Its like complaining its too bright when youre staring at the sun.

just another desperate controversy diva

She's one of the biggest scam artists of our time. Please stop making posts about her, it only gives her the attention she craves. Ignore her and eventually she'll wither on the vine and we'll be done with her.

I'm glad CDPR didn't compromise their work by pandering to these type of people.

:like:
Actually, they did. During the Baron quest line, you can only tell him:
1. It's all your fault
2. Both of you are at fault
3. I don't care

YOU CAN NOT SAY IT WAS THE WOMAN'S FAULT!
Misandry in TW3 confirmed.

She's one of the biggest scam artists of our time. Please stop making posts about her, it only gives her the attention she craves. Ignore her and eventually she'll wither on the vine and we'll be done with her.

I disagree. Raising awareness about Anita's bullshit isn't doing anything for her. She doesn't seek criticism, she seeks negative attention that allows her to say, "Look! I am being harassed because my opinions are retarded! Sexism!".
Any sort of actual criticism like the Forbes article Eric Kain wrote only does good.

I find her claims to be offensive not only against gaming but the writers too. She even went after Dragon Age 3 because it depicted romance plots too. She'd have you think in a game with a scene like this

(Warning Spoilers... kinda... you might think it's a BIG spoiler but it's not)

that these writers don't care about their females roles. This scene has to be one of my favorite moments in a game. One of my favorite characters too. And that level of depth in story telling is in this game as well. Which is why I'm 100% positive she never played them.

Can she just be ignored ? I mean, most people probably won't even know her if she doesn't attack Witcher 3 over sexism, so she originally doesn't even exist.
What impact could she bring ? Is she really that powerful, sounds like a witch to me, but a witch with the only negative sense of the word.

I think this is the right attitude on the surface, but because of this: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...ta-sarkeesian-s-right-to-criticize-his-games/ and how Bioware seems to be aligned with her, there is speculation she had much influence in how Dragon Age Inquisition turned out. Now, Bioware always has had a more progressive agenda in their games I suppose, so ignoring Anita's rants against the Witcher seem fine, I think, but Dragon Age Inquisition moved to the point of taking out romance options for role players who are straight males, I believe--I can't confirm that, that is what I have heard. The argument being go to one of the many other games "straight males" if you want your video game romance simulations, but to be honest, most role playing games don't offer those in the first place outside of Bioware and CDPR. So it is a touchy subject. I suppose I like that role playing aspect of the game for some reason--the romance, not the sex so much, but the romance because it sweeps me up in the narrative. I appreciate that some people might like Garrus coming to their cabin with roses, or a giant transgendered Qunari cradling them, but there should be options for all I suppose, and if her influence is to remove choice for the "patriarchy" then that seems problematic.

Anyway, the pressure could affect a company like CDPR, but her arguments are difficult to swallow. She raised a large amount of money in a kickstarter to fund a study on tropes in video games, specifically towards females (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-kickstarter-breakdown-raised-440000-in-2014/ Forbes hates her I think) and many of her observations were rather...I don't know, elementary? But she has garnered a massive amount of power and clout in a short amount of time, and gaming companies certainly seem to be feeling pressure from her. She has no context of the Witcher series, it seems, and her argument about the game being about ghouls and witches and realism falls flat because she promotes diversity like transgenderism in unrealistic worlds such as Dragon Age. People who don't want that in their games (wrongly so, I'd say) could use her logic against her and say, "Transgender characters may be real and a real issue in today's world, but they have no place in a game about demons and apostates."

The reason she is singling out video games, I believe, is because she sees the primary audience of gaming to be problematic in terms of the "patriarchy." Gamers tend to be male, and I suppose if we could look into the stats, there would be a high correlation to whiteness just because in the United States (where she is directing her anger) that is the majority. Because of this she believes there is inherent hegemony in gaming that needs to be changed, I'm assuming, if there is going to be systemic change in how gender, sex, and sexuality is viewed by males in our country.

There is a misogyny in the United States that needs to be dealt with too, so ignoring her isn't perhaps the right answer either. It only reinforces her point that females are considered secondary to men. Perhaps helping to understand the cultural significance of The Witcher and its literary background might help, though I have my doubts. It isn't the type of creative project that can just be changed by CDPR--it is a world that has been created and loved long before. It is also dealing with a lot of the issues she is bringing up too in a way worth analyzing.

Sorry for the long post, I think she is way off here, but she carries a lot of weight. Maybe.

She just wants the attention, the fame, it probably brings in cash. And she gets it. Controversy sells sometimes. She's just an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom