• There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll play bad guy.

Seriously some people here, worry less. CDPR has a reputation for fixing things from the initial release to make the players happy.

We know they'll read this thread, or at least some parts of it.

Just keep adding useful constructive criticism, examples of what players did like about this portion of the story, and have faith that the game will be improved to the degree that people express their wishes, and the resources of the studio.

+1 to that, calm your beards, guys.

dont think too much rabid fanboyism adds any credibility to this thread, it has kept quite high standart of quality so far, no need to overdo it.

Not much I can say; I'm trying to avoid spoilers, myself. I don't think it's about satisfying fans of Triss or Yennefer; this is a definite story where at some point you have to defer to the storyteller's intentions. With Yennefer and Ciri returning to the frame, it strikes me as artificial that Geralt should be making any kind of free or balanced choice between the sorceresses. There are reasons deeper than which one has been the better pal (in recent events, Triss), or which one is the better shag (neither: that would be Keira Metz anyway).

I found it weird that the rose of rememberance is a quest item. It's as though there was meant to be a quest revolving around it but it seems like they cut it out or never started/completed it.

Or

They planned on adding it in a DLC or Expansion or actually completing it and adding it.

But these are all just assumptions.. Why would it be classed as a quest item if never to be used in a quest though...?

That's my point - her fireballs are cool as Hell and she kicks ass in that fight. Just seems like that's all she was there for. Would that scene have been any different if you just included a generic mage who specializes in fireballs? Might have lacked some immediacy for us Triss fans (when you get control of Ciri and Triss is in trouble I went all out trying to make sure she didn't get hurt) but I would argue it would have been roughly the same. Yeah, the game reacted a little bit but why couldn't Geralt have defended himself about Triss? He can stick up for himself about anything except his true love? Bad writing, bad decision making, missed opportunity here. Plain and simple.

It says Quest Item but there is currently no quest relatedd to it.:p

I think it's harsh to say a label her role in the Karen moorhen fight generically replaceable. There's the cool comment by Lambert about reminding him to not annoy after the first fireball session. She saves cirri after cirri goes to her aid. She then saves geralt and Lambert. There's no way that would be meaningful with someone else.
The absence prior to the fight, Geralt's inability to be allowed to defend or reference her romance and forced yen snog are the problems IMO. If they were all resolved I would adore Karen morhen, as it is the only part I enjoy is the fight.

Wonder if there was a cut quest regarding rose or is it just a quest item because geralt can ask her about the rose.

this is a definite story where at some point you have to defer to the storyteller's intentions.

I do concede this point - sometimes its about the story being told. In a game like this though aren't we all kind of our own storytellers? It just feels a little cheap that our choices aren't all given the same impact. Just my opinion though.

---------- Updated at 11:51 PM ----------

With Yennefer and Ciri returning to the frame, it strikes me as artificial that Geralt should be making any kind of free or balanced choice between the sorceresses.

Shouldn't this also be a story about setting up the rest of Geralt's life? I get that Ciri is important but after that is over, he has to do something with the rest of his years. His choice of partner is an important one, Ciri won't always need saving after all. And we aren't saying that we didn't like the ending - we just wish it were more fulfilling after the credits roll.

I think it's harsh to say a label her role in the Karen moorhen fight generically replaceable. There's the cool comment by Lambert about reminding him to not annoy after the first fireball session. She saves cirri after cirri goes to her aid. She then saves geralt and Lambert. There's no way that would be meaningful with someone else.

It wouldn't be as meaningful, sure. Would the sequence of events have changed before or after the battle? With the amount of interaction we had with her, I am guessing it wouldn't have. Not much anyways. :dry:

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm glad she was there. I wish the moments before and after would have been bigger. My main point. :X

---------- Updated at 11:59 PM ----------

I don't see why you would concede that point - it's not a linear story. The whole point of an open world RPG with choices is that there are multiple satisfying ways to achieve something. One of the paths being inferior to the other, partly invalidates the concept of 'choice'.

Haha, I concede that in some games its about the story and you can't do anything about it. Why I used the word "sometimes" - this isn't one of those times. Look at what I said right after that - one choice being given more weight isn't fair because we are our own storytellers in this type of game. :p

Did anyone else notice...

if you gave Triss the figurines from Novigrad after returning from the Battle of Kaer Morhen she would revert to her old house with the landlord/lady, this was odd as she was standing among them looting her possessions reading a book when she was supposed to be in the Chameleon. A possible oversight and it is the only chance you can do these magical figurines after she has left in Now or Never.

:hmm:

Also, is there a decent chance a RED will post here? It is one of the hottest topics on the forum, and I'd love to see an official take on these thoughts for the Triss romance disappointment.

Last edited:
Haha, I concede that in some games its about the story and you can't do anything about it. Why I used the word "sometimes" - this isn't one of those times. Look at what I said right after that - one choice being given more weight isn't fair because we are our own storytellers in this type of game.

The players 'influence' the story being told and in essence become their own storyteller, making their own story (and changing it) by the boundaries that the writers set. As Madoga said, it isn't a linear story and in a game like this, different choices lead to different paths, and the arguments being told here aren't so much about choosing one or the other, but more to do with how that choice (Triss or Yen) affects the story we are trying to experience (and play through). Of course this is just my opinion, i am sure some will disagree.

---------- Updated at 12:25 AM ----------

Also, is there a decent chance a RED will post here? It is one of the hottest topics on the forum, and I'd love to see an official take on these thoughts for the Triss romance disappointment.

The thread is pretty long, it will take a while to read through it, i do think they are watching this thread but whether they comment on it remains to be seen.

I could not finish my part because of a bug and I expect an update but reading the posts Skellige and Triss, I was reminded of this:

View attachment 15793

Does this scene is present in the game? (With Triss, Geralt and Yennefer on a boat). This image from a trailer where there are still a lot of scenes in this game. But many scenes are not present in the final game (including the one with Triss and Yen on the boat I think). CD Projekt would have delete the content?

This might explain some inconsistencies. Am I the only one thinking that something is missing on Skellige? Is CD Projekt did not originally planned to move to Skellige with Triss, Geralt and Yennefer where the scene in the trailer? All this sounds weird ... There is so much to do on Velen / Novigrad to the main quest, so much more interaction with more characters.
I don't know about you but I found that after Novigrad, when we goes to Skellige, the game becomes slower and quests are less surprising or rather fast? Perhaps this is due also to the fact that I feel that part of the game as "only for Yennefer"? I don't know. But I really have the feeling that something is missing...

Attachments

• Yen.jpg
    Yen.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 53
I could not finish my part because of a bug and I expect an update but reading the posts Skellige and Triss, I was reminded of this:

View attachment 15793

Does this scene is present in the game? (With Triss, Geralt and Yennefer on a boat). This image from a trailer where there are still a lot of scenes in this game. But many scenes are not present in the final game (including the one with Triss and Yen on the boat I think). CD Projekt would have delete the content?

Yes that scene is ingame. It takes place late in the game.

View attachment 15793

This might explain some inconsistencies. Am I the only one thinking that something is missing on Skellige? Is CD Projekt did not originally planned to move to Skellige with Triss, Geralt and Yennefer where the scene in the trailer? All this sounds weird ... There is so much to do on Velen / Novigrad to the main quest, so much more interaction with more characters.
I don't know about you but I found that after Novigrad, when we goes to Skellige, the game becomes slower and quests are less surprising or rather fast? Perhaps this is due also to the fact that I feel that part of the game as "only for Yennefer"? I don't know. But I really have the feeling that something is missing...

Yeah, this scene happen, The diffirent is Ciri in the front, Geralt in the back, Yen and Triss in the side

One of the only problems I have with the game, thanks for the great post OP. Triss for sure needed more content...something, played for 40 odd hours after Novigrad waiting for anything other than "well?" when I talked to her :( so sad.

While it may be an open world, it is not an open (the better word may be direct) narrative. This is not, and must not be if it is to have real meaning, a world where you can manage your gameplay for the purpose of achieving any specific objective. Your character makes decisions and takes action, or fails to act, in ways that have consequences you do not intend and had nothing to do with what you thought you were deciding. And that is its genius.

anything other than "well?" when I talked to her :( so sad.

This right here.

The amount of times I heard her say "Well?" has damaged my brain.

However the biggest Triss moments of annoyance for me include,

Triss simply leaving after everyone nearly dying in Kaer Morhen, whilst being able to talk to most people in Kaer Morhen before/after the battle and not seeing her for several weeks/months following Novigrad you decide to just ignore her, get smooched by Yen and let her leave for Novigrad without even saying a few words to her!

Followed by...

The grand finale, you even have the chance to prepare for the FINAL confrontation with Eredin. A dangerous fight and possible death... She walks past after you all plan the fight, says good luck in passing and is not seen in game again unless you have a certain epilogue or the ending card of you both in Kovir.

This is of course in addition to the Witcher 3 seemingly giving you the Witcher 2 quest, "Where is Triss Merigold?" again.

Rant over.

The scenes we did get with her were cute, and actually done rather well as we've repeated across the thread. Though the sex scene was mediocre in comparison to Witcher 2, it is not the biggest deal, I can live with it as it made me laugh.

TLDR: Moar Triss, moar companion dialogue, moar banter!

Last edited:
Haha, I concede that in some games its about the story and you can't do anything about it. Why I used the word "sometimes" - this isn't one of those times. Look at what I said right after that - one choice being given more weight isn't fair because we are our own storytellers in this type of game.
Personally I'd go so far as to say it's NEVER a good argument. If a writer is unable to convey his intentions to the reader/player, he has done something wrong. Besides, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. A poorly written story is, and will always be, a poorly written story, regardless of the intentions.

To be honest, I have no clue what you ( @GuyNwah ) are trying to say with that part of your first post. But I guess there is no discussion possible (yet) - spoilers and all. All I can say for now is that I strongly disagree with the rest of your post.

While it may be an open world, it is not an open (the better word may be direct) narrative.
If you get to choose between two options, it might indeed not be 'open', but it's still multiple-choice. If one choice is lacking - both plot and content wise - why is that choice there at all? We have a saying here in the Netherlands that roughly translates to: 'do something well, or don't do it at all' - which I feel is perfectly applicable here.

All we are doing is advocating for the second choice to be done well - which is in our opinion not the case at the moment. Just to be clear, it is not a comparative problem. We do not feel Yen is done better, so Triss has to be done better, no. We just want Triss to be done right - she deserves it.
But again, can't really go into specifics due to [spoilers]. So I'll keep it at that. Moreover it's rather late here, so I think I'll be going to bed. Good night!:)

Last edited:
I do concede this point - sometimes its about the story being told. In a game like this though aren't we all kind of our own storytellers? It just feels a little cheap that our choices aren't all given the same impact. Just my opinion though.

One thing I'd like to mention here. Yes this is a RPG where we can make choices and yes you can objectively say that the Triss storyline, while having fantastic moments, is noticeably shorter compared to Yen. With Yen you do a lot of flirting in non-romantic scenes so most of the dialogue doubles for both. However, you have to be extremely careful when you suggest we should gain more Triss time due to not being satisfied with the existing content, as the devs cannot cater to every audience. They have limited resources and time while they work on post-release content before they move on to Cyberpunk or some other property.

Remember, the focus of storytelling with Witcher 3 is not with the romance but on the main plot and we need to point out a reason why more Triss will be legitimately beneficial to the rest of the game and all the other players that might not care for more Triss content.

I, personally, wouldn't care too much if we don't get more Triss content, because I was happy with what I got out of the "default" romance with Yen. Yet the reason I am posting here is because I firmly believe that increasing the amount of dialogue that deals with Geralt's romance past-present-future, can serve to increase the player's investment into the main plot and the end of his journey. That includes more Triss content.

Basically my point is that there needs to be case made and not just an outcry for Triss content because you're left sad at the end. It's about creating a pitch to convince the devs AND the rest of the player base and not just about making a lot of noise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom