Red Mutagens

+
Yes they are, for sure. Not sure why there's such a massive disparity between red and the blue & green.
My best guess is that Red Mutagens are overpowered compared to Blue and Green. When a single Greater Red Mutagen gives you a +40% damage bonus (presuming it's linked to three Swordsmanship skills) that's pretty dang powerful. Compare that to Greater Green Mutagens, which buff your health by 450HP. At most that might be around a 15% vitality bonus.

I do know a tactic for farming them that I learned from @Villentretanmerth though. There is a level 16 Fiend that spawns in Crookback Bog directly south of "The Orphan's Of Crookback Bog" sign post a little ways. Fiends always drop a lesser mutagen of some color. So you can sit on the hillside and meditate to make him respawn and kill him over and over until you get a red mutagen. Villentrthanmerth said it he had to kill the Fiend 70 times to craft a greater red mutagen. So based on that evidence you should get roughly 1 lesser red mutagen per every 8 times you kill the Fiend.
https://youtu.be/iyaVFKDvjlA?t=3m45s

Last edited:
My best guess is that Red Mutagens are overpowered compared to Blue and Green. When a single Greater Red Mutagen gives you a +40% damage bonus (presuming it's linked to three Swordsmanship skills) that's pretty dang powerful. Compare that to Greater Green Mutagens, which buff your health by 450HP. At most that might be around a 15% vitality bonus.

I do know a tactic for farming them that I learned from @Villentretanmerth though. There is a level 16 Fiend that spawns in Crookback Bog directly south of "The Orphan's Of Crookback Bog" a little ways. Fiends always drop a lesser mutagen of some color. So you can sit on the hillside and meditate to make him respawn and kill him over and over until you get a red mutagen. Villentrthanmerth said it he had to kill the Fiend 70 times to craft a greater red mutagen. So based on that evidence you should get roughly 1 lesser red mutagen per every 8 times you kill the Fiend.
https://youtu.be/iyaVFKDvjlA?t=3m45s

I actually screwed up in my post a little bit. I had about 60 or 70 fiend eyes in my inventory so I assumed that was how many times I had fought them, but actually fiend eyes aren't dropped every time a fiend dies. So yeah, it had to have been more than that. Not a lot more, but I don't know, maybe getting a lesser red every 1 out of 10, or in that vicinity, sounds about right.

To clarify for everyone reading (and possibly restate):

No Greater, or Normal Mutagen can drop, from anything. Only Lesser Mutagens drop.
Blue and Green Mutagens are by far the most proliferate.
Reds seem to drop from rather beasts, though there are plenty of them that respawn as to make it a farmable task.
You need 9 Lesser Mutagens to make a Greater.
Named Mutagens cannot be broken down into Lessers, though they share the same stats as Lessers.

finally got enough red mutagens to craft 2 greater red mutagens, farming for more..

Finally got enough lesser red mutagens to craft Red Mutagens. And from Red Mutagens I crafted Greater Red Mutagens ( currently have 2). Takes 3 lesser red mutagen to make a Red Mutagen and it takes 9 lesser red mutagens or 3 Red Mutagens to make a "Greater Red Mutagen". Hope it wasn't too confusing :)

You can farm lesser red mutagens from 18 level drowners that are respawning at Whale Graveyard on Ard Skellig in The Skellige Isles. It is east of Kaer Gelen and northeast of Gedyneith. I think there are about 6 of them each time after you rest and drop rate is about 33%.

You can farm lesser red mutagens from 18 level drowners that are respawning at Whale Graveyard on Ard Skellig in The Skellige Isles. It is east of Kaer Gelen and northeast of Gedyneith. I think there are about 6 of them each time after you rest and drop rate is about 33%.
Finally got 9 more lesser red mutagens, that brings me now to a total of 3 greater red mutagens.

Red mutagens are by far the least common for me playing the game the way that feels "normal" without looking up how to hunt them down specifically, so I guess we are killing the same things. Thats of course not counting specific monster mutagens that happen to be red. It took forever to get enough for one greater red mutagen and the 5 lesser needed for one of the decoctions (alghoul I think). I was like level 25 by the time I finished the decoction and was able to use one greater red in a slot. I'm using a monster one that just gives the amount a lesser would in a 2nd slot, forget the monster- maybe wyvern? Anyway, yeah, seem pretty rare.

---------- Updated at 07:57 PM ----------

I have about 60 blue/green lesser mutagens and half a dozen greater of each of those at the moment for comparison, and thats not exaggerated. Just haven't gotten around to selling them for that woohooo 7 gold a pop.

---------- Updated at 07:58 PM ----------

But I did sell quite a few blue and green ones in the past, so yeah those are crazy abundant. And foglet mutagens.

Top Bottom