Cyberpunk currency

+
Cyberpunk currency

Total newbie question here but what was the currency in 2020? Was it cash, credits, or both? How do you think they'll instill this currency in 2077?

The Currency in Cberpunk 202 was Eurobucks for most of the world except the Pacific Rim. The US uses both EB and US Dollars, Japan uses New Yen, China uses the Yuan, Korea uses the Won, Myanmar uses the Kyat, Thiland uses the Baht, and Australia and New Zealand use the Dollar.

Andes, Cash is still used as well as credit.

The Currency in Cberpunk 202 was Eurobucks for most of the world except the Pacific Rim. The US uses both EB and US Dollars, Japan uses New Yen, China uses the Yuan, Korea uses the Won, Myanmar uses the Kyat, Thiland uses the Baht, and Australia and New Zealand use the Dollar.

Andes, Cash is still used as well as credit.

Ah okay, thanks so much.;D

Obviously this CP world is in bad shape, so I'd imagine it being particularly more dangerous in the wilderness with some random nomadic-gangs wrecking havoc all over on a fairly large scale like Fallout, Mad Max or even The Last of Us. That all being said think it'll be possible that perhaps some out there may have "currency" that's more along the lines of traditional trade that's literally "older then feudalism" (such as trading some high-gear for fuel, clothing for food, etc)?

Though I'll admit that the much more "tranquil" would do that, while the gangs would do your typical pillaging until they have a large amount of cash and food that they could possibly put towards vehicles, weapons, supplies and so much more. Hey, people'll do just about anything to make it through the day with that kind of environment - so I believe that to be a great possibility.

And if you did either group a solid they could offer special discounts and their own assistance to you (with slight variations of course).

Last edited:
Obviously this CP world is in bad shape, so I'd imagine it being particularly more dangerous in the wilderness with some random nomadic-gangs wrecking havoc all over on a fairly large scale like Fallout, Mad Max or even The Last of Us. That all being said think it'll be possible that perhaps some out there may have "currency" that's more along the lines of traditional trade that's literally "older then feudalism" (such as trading some high-gear for fuel, clothing for food, etc)?

Though I'll admit that the much more "tranquil" would do that, while the gangs would do your typical pillaging until they have a large amount of cash and food that they could possibly put towards vehicles, weapons, supplies and so much more. Hey, people'll do just about anything to make it through the day with that kind of environment - so I believe that to be a great possibility.

And if you did either group a solid they could offer special discounts and their own assistance to you (with slight variations of course).
Actually, not really. Yes, there are nomad packs, but other than the Raffin Shiv, most are pretty civilized. And the economy hasn't degenerated into a barter system either. If it had, you wouldn't have multi-national corporations, which are central to a good Cyberpunk setting.

Actually, not really. Yes, there are nomad packs, but other than the Raffin Shiv, most are pretty civilized. And the economy hasn't degenerated into a barter system either. If it had, you wouldn't have multi-national corporations, which are central to a good Cyberpunk setting.

The economic thing I can totally wrap my head around completely, yet most nomadic packs still being civilized? Not so much, only cause there's no telling how much has changed over the coming decades from 2020-77 with them (just saying, a lot can change in a such a short length of time T-G).

Real nomads are families, but the bandit crews are a real problem and nomads are often lumped in with these marauders by outsiders. They wear the same gear, run the same vehciles, use similar weapons. Just nomads won't gut you for your fuel. Probably.

HiWay is empowered to immediately terminate anyone on the highways they patrol - it's dangerous out there. HiWay cars are armed with either missiles or chainguns or customized for even heavier gear.

Bartering works in many places eb and USD aren't worth a lot - ammo and drugs are prefectly tradeable in Combat Zones and outside cities.

The economic thing I can totally wrap my head around completely, yet most nomadic packs still being civilized?

It sort of depends on how you define "civilized".
I suspect most AmerInds would say the folks took their land weren't very civilized.

The economic thing I can totally wrap my head around completely, yet most nomadic packs still being civilized? Not so much, only cause there's no telling how much has changed over the coming decades from 2020-77 with them (just saying, a lot can change in a such a short length of time T-G).

Real nomads are families, but the bandit crews are a real problem and nomads are often lumped in with these marauders by outsiders. They wear the same gear, run the same vehciles, use similar weapons. Just nomads won't gut you for your fuel. Probably.

HiWay is empowered to immediately terminate anyone on the highways they patrol - it's dangerous out there. HiWay cars are armed with either missiles or chainguns or customized for even heavier gear.

Bartering works in many places eb and USD aren't worth a lot - ammo and drugs are prefectly tradeable in Combat Zones and outside cities.
Sardukhar speaks true. In fact, even in today's society there are people in the US who could be classified as "Nomads" by Cyberpunk terms—Migrant workers and gypsies. Most of your Nomads are hard working families, not marauding gangs of criminals. IF you really want to understand the Cyberpunk Nomad dynamic, check out the Neo Tribes Sourcebook by R.Talsorian Games, as well as the unofficial sources Nomad market and Dust in the Wind over at Datafortress 2020.

Yeah, or just say the word "Nomad" around Wisdom sometime.

The only flaw with Nomads, (other than they don't bathe, like ,ever...) is the &%*# Roles system in 2020 makes them kind of meh in terms of Special Ability. At least as applied to combat. Which is ironic, since the Nomad featured in the corebook is Santiago and he's a combat professional...anyway, that's another rant.

There are almost certainly nomad packs out there now. And they no doubt take USD as well as work-trade or commodity trade.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ow-ancient-paths-natural-fulfilling-life.html

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/walmart-parking-lots/

Older nomads: http://www.alternet.org/economy/shocking-picture-what-life-will-look-when-you-cant-afford-retire

And their currency will really vary, although I've no doubt cash is still good.

"While cash is always excepted in the Nomad Market, especially from Statics, the main form of commerce is trade. Trade in the nomad market is complicated, but is based on the Canned Goods standard. The exchange may vary slightly from market to market, but the amount of cans something is worth is the standard by which nomads negotiate trade amongst each other for small items." - Datafortress 2020's Nomad Market page from Dust in The Wind.

Ok, so I wasn't far off at all, knew that living mostly in the wilderness would force at least a couple to trade the old-fashioned way depending on they're customs and geographical-location (I wouldn't mind us doing some of these transactions in select parts of the wilderness, even if it is just for "small items").

Last edited:
Yep. I'm from a remote island and we barter for lots of things.

Keep in mind, though, that most of the world is still pretty "civilized" - even the wilderness bits - and currency is still accpeted. The vast majority live in cities run by megacorps and they know only currency.

Well, interstitial spaces like Combat Zones and URban Wastelands would be an exception of course, but who would want to go there?!

Yeah, or just say the word "Nomad" around Wisdom sometime.

The only flaw with Nomads, (other than they don't bathe, like ,ever...) is the &%*# Roles system in 2020 makes them kind of meh in terms of Special Ability. At least as applied to combat. Which is ironic, since the Nomad featured in the corebook is Santiago and he's a combat professional...anyway, that's another rant.

There are almost certainly nomad packs out there now. And they no doubt take USD as well as work-trade or commodity trade.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ow-ancient-paths-natural-fulfilling-life.html

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/walmart-parking-lots/

Older nomads: http://www.alternet.org/economy/shocking-picture-what-life-will-look-when-you-cant-afford-retire

And their currency will really vary, although I've no doubt cash is still good.
Pretty much. The issue Sard just described about the Nomads, and the Roles system in general, is one of the reasons I like the FUZION rules so much. Since it is essentially Classless, I can make a character who has both Family (a form of the Membership perk) and Combat Sense (as a Talent), or Jury Rig and Med Tech, or Street Deal and Resources (another form of the Membership perk), or any other combination, or even several in combination. I'm not limited to a single "Special Ability"; a player can give a character any or all of them if he or she so chooses.

Pretty much. The issue Sard just described about the Nomads, and the Roles system in general, is one of the reasons I like the FUZION rules so much. Since it is essentially Classless, I can make a character who has both Family (a form of the Membership perk) and Combat Sense (as a Talent), or Jury Rig and Med Tech, or Street Deal and Resources (another form of the Membership perk), or any other combination, or even several in combination. I'm not limited to a single "Special Ability"; a player can give a character any or all of them if he or she so chooses.

Might have to look into Fuzion. Been a while since I bought a new (to me anyway) RPG system.

Well, these are the basic FUZIOn Core Rules for the generic system. For Cyberpunk, however, you really need the (much maligned here) 203X (CP v3.0) rules, which can be retrofit to 2020 (you don't need to use the alt cults or timeline). This is because some of the character stats are different from the core system rules, and a bit closer to 2020, and it includes proper conversion rules for 2020 characters. Granted the "art " sucks, and the changes to the world and the "Alt Cults" aren't to my liking, but it serves its purpose as far as actual rules improvements go. just adapt them to a 2020 game setting. Both of the characters of mine whose stats I've posted in different threads here (Tommie and Kageto) are converted using 203X rules with the Complications from the core FUION rules added.

Fuzion, ( which Tramp insists on all caps, even though that's actually the name of the cretors, and the system is not in all caps - at least according to R.Tal's pdf on it), is a pretty good system.

It's FNFF + Champions. I like both systems, but I feel in combining them, they lost a bit of each. Which is fine!

If you like FNFF but find it too limited to run outside of it's mileu, take a look at Fuzion. Pretty nice. Also Interlock Unlimited for similar reasons.

Oh, we're so far off topic now. I'm going to care. Later. Probably.

WHY ARE EURODOLLARS EB and NOT ED? ED IS JUST AS COOL.

There. Topical. And heartfelt.

Top Bottom