Whyyyyy did they ruin all the armour?

+
Ehm, just a quick Wuestion: I always thought Rise of the White wolf was the never released console version of Witcher 1...did I miss something there?
I read somewhere that in some regions (not in English speaking regions, mind you) The Witcher 1 released with the sub-title "Rise Of The White Wolf." I just liked that better than calling "The Witcher 1."

The armor is fine. If you want heavy knight looking armor it's there if you want light leather or fabric armor it's there. What more can you ask for.

The beer belly armor is the reason why I'm sticking to wearing the starting medium armor(don't like the Temerian look). Not sure if CDPR would be able to implement a fix to change them in future patches but one can only hope there are mods to do that.

most of the armor doesn't look very "witchery", which makes sense, hence the special witcher gear, what would make the choices more interesting, is more witcher gear, so everybody would stop wearing the cat armor, and some occasional soul tends to be seen with the bear armor, armors from more schools would be the best way to implement this I'd say

The armor is fine. If you want heavy knight looking armor it's there if you want light leather or fabric armor it's there. What more can you ask for.

That's not really the issue. To demonstrate, here is Shiadhal's Armor in The Witcher 2:

And here is Shiadhal's Armor in The Witcher 3:

Attachments

• e1ae8d312cf8127131aebd7297b62e20.png
    e1ae8d312cf8127131aebd7297b62e20.png
    270.2 KB · Views: 4,990
  • witcher3 2015-06-02 02-11-25-25.jpg
    witcher3 2015-06-02 02-11-25-25.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 4,994
I kind of like the superior version of the griffin chest, but the pants turn ugly so I wish I'd left them enhanced. I like the enhanced feline chest and gloves. I usually wear executioner's boots. Cavalry armor has a good look to it (not a big fan of the brown dull color ones, but still a nice design), and some others use a similar model. I hate the ones with a metal chest plate that curves in such a way as to make you look as big as the baron, which is most of the armor you pick up. I like the Redanian halberdier armor style (similar to cavalry but hangs down over the legs to around the knee). I like to wear a wolf mask I found for sale on my face most of the time, and for a while I was fighting in formal clothing such as the starting nilfgardian set or the skellige tunics. I don't have a favorite pants, but the enhanced feline gloves and the executioner's boots are definitely the current favorite of mine for those slots (not sure what superior/master feline gloves look like yet). I'm currently wearing the normal feline pants because I don't have the enhanced design yet.

Its funny that during a conversation while one of the female companions was telling Geralt he has to get some formal wear and he was complaining he hates tunics... I was wearing a full formal outfit while saying it.

---------- Updated at 05:24 PM ----------

That's not really the issue. To demonstrate, here is Shiadhal's Armor in The Witcher 2:

And here is Shiadhal's Armor in The Witcher 3:

Not a good example, I prefer the second. I hate that vest that is too short. I wouldn't mind the accessory book though, but I like the tunic being long enough to fit.

most of the armor doesn't look very "witchery", which makes sense, hence the special witcher gear, what would make the choices more interesting, is more witcher gear, so everybody would stop wearing the cat armor, and some occasional soul tends to be seen with the bear armor, armors from more schools would be the best way to implement this I'd say

The non-witcher armor I can understand and I'm perfectly ok with them having beer belly especially for the heavy plated armor. However, take a look at griffin medium armor, all tiers have belly beer which prevents me from wearing it :(

I think countering one absolute opinion with another like this is a bit counter-productive. A better solution to this problem would be to shove in a few armours reminiscent of Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 in addition to what we've already got. I mean, Lambert and Eskel are still wearing the traditional witcher stuff so evidently it's not crossed out of the franchise. It's just... missing. And should be added. Do you disagree?

I mean, looking at the most iconic looks from the two previous games, it's just something that isn't in The Witcher 3 at all. That is, I believe, what many people would like the option to play through the game with. The classic Geralt look. Nothing more, nothing less.

Let's not Forget, Geralt no longer has the distinctive Witcher's Bandolier, which is a sin!

I am personally pleased overall with the choices of armor in game, of course I would never say no to more armors that have more variation. I think we'll see some more armors in the free DLC packs over the weeks and, of course there should be more armors in the expansions too. Aside from that, modders will make armors and weapons too for this game. The amount of mods out there already is a good sign that TW3 will have great mod support, though probably not as great as Skyrim.
My personal favorite armor sets are the Temerian Armor set, Cat armor set, and Bear armor set. If anything I would really like to see more variation amongst silver swords. These are supposed to be rare and unique weapons, and I know there has to be an appearance of uniqueness and functionality, however it's be nice to see a handful that really stand out as there is an element of magic in the forging of a silver sword, especially a sword that can hold three runes. Like armor, I'm sure we'll see more unique designs from the devs and the modding community.

Yes, Witcher 2, where Geralt looked like a bloody court jester half the time. And he ran around in a hood like he was pretending to by Altiar --as if he had to rip off another video-game character to be cool . NO THANK YOU!

Dear CD Prokejt RED, we are your humble cocky fancase. We love the armor variety in The Witcher 3. You managed to incorporate armor styles from so many cultures and periods in history. My mind is blown, and now I must leave to clean it up. Amen.

+1 I actually like the amazing variety of armor in W3, each has their own unique styled depending on who was meant to wear it, atm I am wearing some Dwarven boots that are shiny metal and Gold in color lol I doubt I have seen even 10 percent of what armors are available 70 hours in now.

As for the "why", I think it's several reasons. "Gritty realism" is very much in vogue now (Game of Thrones, etc). Also, TW was always criticized for being a sexist macho power fantasy, so even though they didn't cave in completely, they had to make some concessions; they couldn't rely on gamersgaters only to buy the game. Lastly, it's the 3rd game in the series, so Geralt gets older and wearier, and his main quest is basically about being a father (-figure), thus the beer belly and the beard.

There are definitely some damn nice looking armours in the game. But truth be told, you don't finde him as easily as in The Witcher 2. You have to look carefully and go on awesome treasure hunts.

Attachments

• xfn82ic6.jpg
    xfn82ic6.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 1,310
"Gritty realism" is very much in vogue now (Game of Thrones, etc).
The problem with this is that "Gritty realisim," or to put it another way, "Fantasy that is grounded in reality," was popular before AGOT. See Lord Of The Rings and The Witcher 1 video-game. Yes, this series has always been "fantasy that is grounded in reality" like AGOT and LOTR.

they couldn't rely on gamersgaters only to buy the game.
The problem with this assumption is that niether anti-GG nor GG represent the majority. The majority are the people who don't give a fuck and they will buy the game regardless.

The problem with this is that "Gritty realisim," or to put it another way, "Fantasy that is grounded in reality," was popular before AGOT. See Lord Of The Rings and The Witcher 1 video-game. Yes, this series has always been "fantasy that is grounded in reality" like AGOT and LOTR.
It wasn't as mainstream though. Low-magic settings were pretty rare, people mostly expected fantasy to mean epic fireworks, armor with huge spikes and chainmail bikinis.

It wasn't as mainstream though. Low-magic settings were pretty rare, people mostly expected fantasy to mean epic fireworks, armor with huge spikes and chainmail bikinis.
That's sort of debateable. Given the roaring success of The Lord Of The Rings movies I don't think you can really say it wasn't mainstream. I think it's more accurate to say that most writers didn't have the talent to pull off "believable fantasy."

Most TV shows, movies, and books rip off popular fiction because tha is what is safe. Before AGOT the only other low-fantasy/believeable fantasy was LOTR. Capturing the magic of the LOTR setting is no small feat, so I think most producers/publishers stayed away from it because it was too risky. But now that LOTR, AGOT, and The Witcher are all popular I think it's safe to say we may begin to see more low-fantasy/believable fantasy settings until it becomes unbearably cliche like the high-fantasy setting is now.

Not a big fan of the belly cuirass myself. Yes, I know it's based on real armor, but I just find it pretty ugly and unfitting for Geralt anyway (and akin to him trying to wear heavy plate armor-level of unfitting), which is why I prefer wearing the Cat and Bear armors as opposed to the Griffin one.

If they were so dead set on adding some sort of medium armor, they should have went with the Slavic Lamellar or something along those lines at least.

This armor is in the game.

Top Bottom