Auto sheathe

+
Auto-unsheathe / auto-sheathe - will there ever be an option to turn this off?

Seeing that this didn't get addressed so far I'm wondering if CDPRED is even aware of the issue? Or if they consider it an issue at all?
I would love to hear something from the REDs in regards to this. Thanks.

They're certainly aware of it as it's been mentioned plenty of times on this forum. Whether they consider it an issue, that's a whole different matter. I wouldn't count on an official 'fix', since it's intentional.

However, they at least could (and should) extend the time period before the sword "gets auto-sheathed".

Intentional as in taking the burden of deciding which sword is the right one for the situation off the player?
Come on, my grandma is able to figure this out in 5 minutes!

Red health bar or humanoid = steel sword
Silvery health bar or monster = silver sword

CDPRED seems to greatly underestimate how smart people playing this game actually are.

Another Plea to Disable Autosheathe

So there I am in the sewers of Novigrad, or the swamps of Velen, or some underground ruin and I've just dispatched the first of multiple enemies. Then, just as I'm about to rush in to avoid getting shot or have a glob of something nasty thrown at me... Geralt goes and sheathes his sword. Now from a combat perspective this is aggravating and dangerous to our hero. From a gaming perspective it is simply awful. I am immediately sitting at the keyboard watching the character I'm "controlling" instead of being immersed in the game. I'm also suddenly fighting the game to accomplish a goal, whether that goal is combat, the completion of a quest or simply playing the game itself.

So, I know there's another patch coming out this week, and I doubt this fix will be a part of it. This post is simply an attempt to keep the need fresh in the minds of the devs. I don't know who decided to re-implement autosheathing or what you were thinking, but please PLEASE take it back. At the very least give me the option to turn it off. It is AWFUL.

Thanks so much. Only complaining because I love the game and this is a big goddamn wasp at the picnic.

Cheers

High chance of getting deleted but gave you a point all the same for the effort. If they only fixed one thing from now to the ends of time. This would be it.

Thanks for the bump. :)

I doubt it will be deleted. Moved maybe. That's what they've done before. But what do I know?

A merge I think is worse. It gets slapped randomly (not at the end) into another thread making that [merged to] thread have no coherence.

They should just Close and add a link to whatever thread they believe it [should of] been merged to.

What do I know I'm just Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. These things frighten and confuse me.

High chance of getting deleted but gave you a point all the same for the effort. If they only fixed one thing from now to the ends of time. This would be it.

They don't get deleted because we don't delete them. We merge them. Because guess what gets more visibility and which is easier for the developers to see?

- A single thread with a lot of people making the same suggestion, which others add to and which constantly gets bumped up, or
- Individual posts that are on page 5 within a few hours, and surrounded by other single-post threads on totally different topics.

So there I am in the sewers of Novigrad, or the swamps of Velen, or some underground ruin and I've just dispatched the first of multiple enemies. Then, just as I'm about to rush in to avoid getting shot or have a glob of something nasty thrown at me... Geralt goes and sheathes his sword. Now from a combat perspective this is aggravating and dangerous to our hero. From a gaming perspective it is simply awful. I am immediately sitting at the keyboard watching the character I'm "controlling" instead of being immersed in the game. I'm also suddenly fighting the game to accomplish a goal, whether that goal is combat, the completion of a quest or simply playing the game itself.

So, I know there's another patch coming out this week, and I doubt this fix will be a part of it. This post is simply an attempt to keep the need fresh in the minds of the devs. I don't know who decided to re-implement autosheathing or what you were thinking, but please PLEASE take it back. At the very least give me the option to turn it off. It is AWFUL.
This. Like a thousand times.

Can't be that hard to add a simple switch that turns this ridiculous auto-drawing and auto-sheathing business on or off, can it?

Personally I'd like to see the whole "combat state" attached to whether Geralt has a sword drawn. That way any time he does he can parry arrows, dodge, and roll out of the way of a projectile, cos there's nothing quite like getting hit in the face by... something... that a Bilge or Water Hag threw at you even after you saw it coming and tried to roll or dodge out of the way... only to watch helplessly as Geralt either stood still or tried to hop. But yeah, even if all they do is turn that #$%&@!! autosheathing off, I'd be eternally grateful.

Get rid of the auto sheath ffs

Fighting a group of ghouls on death march while I'm level 3, just started a new game. Just doing some exploring while I find a pack of ghouls

> in mid combat with 4 of the fuckers around me
> Geralt suddenly sheathes his silver sword and I'm fighting with my fists
> Geralt has died
> last save made 30 mins ago

Seriously fuck this shit, can't wait for a mod that disables this, it's so horrible. Whoever designed this needs to be be covered in honey and placed upside down in an anthill.

One of the mechanics I want added the most is the ability to switch to combat mode. Auto-sheathe is already a problem on its own, you can't feel in control of the character, which is immersion breaking. On top of that, even if auto-sheathing is disabled, you can't switch to combat mode, which means you can't block unless you get close to opponents. There have been many instances where I couldn't parry arrows because of this problem. So I thought of a possible solution for this:

New keyboard layout for high/low profile actions would serve this purpose decently:

1- When sword is drawn, right click *always* works as parry/block. If you want to use spidey senses, however, you can use shift + right click. Two birds with one stone.

2- There is another issue while in combat mode that you can't jump. Let's say that you are overwhelmed by enemies and want to climb a rock or jump through a collapsed bridge to run away. As usual, let us roll with spacebar, but when spacebar is held, let us jump. This, again, would be an efficient solution.

If you have any other examples, please feel free to add. I want to be in total control of my character, instead of being limited to certain set of moves.

Almost as annoying as Geralt's automatic battle stance (that prevents him from jumping), worse of all the stance doesn't end when you sheathe, both should be adjusted or patched out.

I remember one situation where I tried to attempt to get a piece of Witcher gear diagram, it was in a delipidated Castle in Skellige, and you had to climb ledges and jump over gaps in order to reach the castle, one problem though... Sirens. Every time one of them came close Geralt, he immediately went in to combat mode and prevented me from climbing further, instead forcing me to try to kill them by using the crossbow, it took for ever to make that climb.

One of the mechanics I want added the most is the ability to switch to combat mode. Auto-sheathe is already a problem on its own, you can't feel in control of the character, which is immersion breaking. On top of that, even if auto-sheathing is disabled, you can't switch to combat mode, which means you can't block unless you get close to opponents. There have been many instances where I couldn't parry arrows because of this problem. So I thought of a possible solution for this:

New keyboard layout for high/low profile actions would serve this purpose decently:

1- When sword is drawn, right click *always* works as parry/block. If you want to use spidey senses, however, you can use shift + right click. Two birds with one stone.

2- There is another issue while in combat mode that you can't jump. Let's say that you are overwhelmed by enemies and want to climb a rock or jump through a collapsed bridge to run away. As usual, let us roll with spacebar, but when spacebar is held, let us jump. This, again, would be an efficient solution.

If you have any other examples, please feel free to add. I want to be in total control of my character, instead of being limited to certain set of moves.

That sounds like it would work very well for me. Good ideas

They NEED to do something. Right now basic sword combat is so frustrating, especially at low levels. I just started a new play-through, wondering if combat felt any better with an XBOX controller than a mouse. Having both controller and keyboard handy is ALMOST like having the best of both worlds. I still can't change signs unless I use the radial menu or take one hand off the controller but the directional attacks and movement of an analog stick is nice and being able to navigate menus with mouse and keyboard relieves much of that console based confinement. But, back on topic, autosheathing is just moronic! Especially at low levels when Geralt is so vulnerable. Watching him sheathe his sword just in time to get raped by the next enemy who was "just" outside the aggro radius when the last enemy was killed.... is mind numbingly frustrating. It feels like I'm fighting the game to play the game. The entire idea, the very concept, that the game needs to, or even gets to decide when combat is over is so ridiculous that it's practically obscene. Every time it happens, every last time it happens, I want to slap someone. You know, like SAC Gibbs slapping Anthony DiNozzo up the backside of his head. It's just stupid! I mean I don't know who coded this mess but they couldn't have played the game afterward. They just couldn't have! Seriously, wtf you were guys thinking?!

There are a few WTF's in the controls. No camera zoom and no cast on press for 3-7 signs is annoying but this...

Every time I end up trying to punch a ghoul or jump straight up rather than roll or activate spidey senses rather than parry, a fairy gets it's wings plucked, please CDPR, think of the fairies!

Guest 3823474

There are a few WTF's in the controls. No camera zoom and no cast on press for 3-7 signs is annoying but this...

Every time I end up trying to punch a ghoul or jump straight up rather than roll or activate spidey senses rather than parry, a fairy gets it's wings plucked, please CDPR, think of the fairies!

Cast sign on number key press ... another great idea.

Guest 3823474

Seems pretty obvious doesn't it. Not a 10th as annoying as the autosheath no manual combat stance problem though.
Indeed.
I almost died in a relatively easy battle because things were the opposite of what they were supposed to be, and when I tried to fix it, it had again automatically acted and my attempt at fixing it screwed it up again, and then it was pointless to keep trying. Had to run away, collect my thoughts, meditate, try again. All just because of that automated stuff.

Right now I had the thought that this might be another for-console feature (for reducing the number of keys needed) that's plaguing PC players, too, because the devs didn't care to make it work differently for the PC version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom