I'm so pissed about "It takes three to tango"!

+
I'm so pissed about "It takes three to tango"!

From the start of the game I had already decided I wanted to romance Triss, because she was my main romance choice in the 2 previous game. So I avoided all sexual interaction with Yennefer. But in the Djinn quest, I picked the dialogue choice stating that I love her, because felt the right thing to do, since I felt like Yen and Geralt had a very deep bond, despite everything. But now, 30 hours in the game later, I'm stuck with none, despite my clear desire to stay with one of them.

I feel cheated and that I wasted almost 100 hours of game time because of thing. I don't know if I can finish the game now, since my choice was so integral to my satisfaction of the game...

---------- Updated at 12:14 AM ----------

Someone, plz move this thread, I didn't intend to post on the general forum.

luc0s

Forum veteran
How can you be this ignorant?

The Last Wish quest was a very crucial moment for Yennefer and Geralt, it was the first time they could finally state their true feelings. Instead of admitting you didn't love her anymore you said "I love you" at the most crucial moment of Yen's and Geralt's relationship. And now you're surprised that Yennefer and Triss are pissed because you romanced both? Come on man. How could you not see this coming?

How can you be this ignorant?

The Last Wish quest was a very crucial moment for Yennefer and Geralt, it was the first time they could finally state their true feelings. Instead of admitting you didn't love her anymore you said "I love you" at the most crucial moment of Yen's and Geralt's relationship. And now you're surprised that Yennefer and Triss are pissed because you romanced both? Come on man. How could you not see this coming?

Have to agree here, saying "I love you" to Triss and then doing the same thing with Yen implies that you (Geralt) love both, was a bit obvious.

That would have been completely out of character for Triss and Yen. Neither want to share Geralt.

No more so than plenty of other things that happen or don't in the story. No more so than them accepting my confession and being fine with it despite the fact my Geralt is blowing 10k coin in the whore house monthly and sleeping with every random woman who offers even after and in between his love confessions to them.

A decent writer could easily find a way to make it work

Last edited:
From the start of the game I had already decided I wanted to romance Triss, because she was my main romance choice in the 2 previous game. So I avoided all sexual interaction with Yennefer. But in the Djinn quest, I picked the dialogue choice stating that I love her, because felt the right thing to do, since I felt like Yen and Geralt had a very deep bond, despite everything. But now, 30 hours in the game later, I'm stuck with none, despite my clear desire to stay with one of them.

I feel cheated and that I wasted almost 100 hours of game time because of thing. I don't know if I can finish the game now, since my choice was so integral to my satisfaction of the game...

---------- Updated at 12:14 AM ----------

Someone, plz move this thread, I didn't intend to post on the general forum.

Please use spoiler tags since it's in general ;)

I got this, I actually believed I was going to get my cake and eat it, I was like "give me the hunny, give me the hunny" cranking my neck round to make sure my family didn't see me, and it was like WTF, then I spat my coffee all over the screen, doubling up in laughter with a "Nice one CDPR" chained to the bed and DANDELION comes to free me NOOOOO!!!

Brilliant.

luc0s

Forum veteran
No more so than plenty of other things that happen or don't in the story. No more so than them accepting my confession and being fine with it despite the fact my Geralt is blowing 10k coin in the whore house monthly and sleeping with every random woman who offers even after and in between his love confessions to them.

It's a videogame, so there is always going to be some segregation between gameplay and story. The interactive nature of a game makes those kind of things you just described possible. The game has no control over how often you visit the brothel and you can't expect the story or NPCs to accommodate for the fact you blew 10k crowns in brothels.

Personally I try to play Geralt as realistically as possible so I won't break immersion for myself. I never visited a brother in TW3. Not once. I think I visited 1 brothel in TW2 once but that was mostly out of curiosity. I don't think the real Geralt would blow 10k crowns on brothels.

This thread is full of spoilers, and my post is going to be as well, so this definitely needs put in the spoiler section.

I actually didn't like Yen very much when I finished all of the Triss quests, I was incredibly angry and distrustful of her and thought I would want to be with Triss forever, and then much later in my gameplay I had gotten to know Yen and decided to go along with Geralt loving her since he supposedly did. But you have to remember he lost his memory and can't help that he fell in love with Triss during that time or just turn it off. The way its worded doesn't seem like its necessarily together forever to me, but a confession of his feelings and being unable to let go, but yes I knew that the tango quest was going to end badly from the start of it. I wanted to have a chance to break it off with one later, but they have nothing to say about it until that quest comes up and then not much to say later. I highly doubt its over for good with both of them. Geralt and Yen break up and get back together all the time, and she has to admit he has good reason to have fallen in love with Triss and be conflicted. Philipa even comments on how obvious it is Triss wants to be with him and Yen and him are like parents to Ciri with Triss the big sister lol (this is well after Tango). To be honest, I didn't trust Yen and thought she would misuse the djinn power when she got it, so I was very reluctant to go along with it and put off deciding to the last possible chance before going to Kaer Morhen with her. When she used it the way she did, she actually turned my opinion of her around and I had gotten over her stealing the mask and killing the garden (which had me very furious with her, despite her intentions being for Ciri she was still being careless and thoughtless of the damage she was doing).

If you did the quests back to back, then I can see it being a lot different to just proclaim it to both one after the other, but it was basically months later in my game because I did a ton of other quests in between them. I thought out my choices a lot, and didn't know anything about what the consequences would be or Triss not being at Kaer Morhen or anything; just what fit Geralt as I played him. I actually expected Kaer Morhen to be the end of the game, so I was trying to wrap up everything completely before going there and it was basically we could be dead tomorrow by the time I went with Yen to the d'jinn and I'm off to rescue Ciri the moment we part.

I really wish you could choose to talk to Dandelion instead of blow him off, and then go apologize and try to resolve things through more romance quests. I don't think the game sets anything in stone from what they say to him though, so there is no telling what happens later between them. There should definitely have been blow back, so I was satisfied and laughing about that quest, no question, but there should be a way to work it out and beg forgiveness. I don't like that its just one line from each of them (which is also easy to miss that added one topic they have later for a short period between quests, where they basically blow all of their past and feelings off and shrug which seemed clearly like a facade as people are one to do to seem less hurt and vulnerable than they really are).

I got this, I actually believed I was going to get my cake and eat it, I was like "give me the hunny, give me the hunny" cranking my neck round to make sure my family didn't see me, and it was like WTF, then I spat my coffee all over the screen, doubling up in laughter with a "Nice one CDPR" chained to the bed and DANDELION comes to free me NOOOOO!!!

Brilliant.

Thats why I cant decide if this is the way to go or sticking with yen .... three to tango is awesome :D

the way you wrote it is exactly how I felt :D ... awesome comment dude^^... cheered me up

Last edited:
It's a videogame, so there is always going to be some segregation between gameplay and story. The interactive nature of a game makes those kind of things you just described possible. The game has no control over how often you visit the brothel and you can't expect the story or NPCs to accommodate for the fact you blew 10k crowns in brothels.

Personally I try to play Geralt as realistically as possible so I won't break immersion for myself. I never visited a brother in TW3. Not once. I think I visited 1 brothel in TW2 once but that was mostly out of curiosity. I don't think the real Geralt would blow 10k crowns on brothels.

You can't play him "realistically" because he isn't real. Your way of playing him is no more realistic than mine outside of your own personal opinion of how you think he should act. The same as nothing is in or out of character for any of these fictional beings beyond what the writer decides to have them do or give you the choice to make them do at the moment. If the writers felt Geralt being a manwhore was "out of character" they had complete control to make it so by simply not giving you the option to do it. But they didn't which means they don't. Saying anything these characters do is "out of character" or "realistic" is completely arbitrary

luc0s

Forum veteran
You can't play him "realistically" because he isn't real.

That's the dumbest argument ever. "Realistic" and "real" are not the same thing. Ofcourse fiction isn't real. That doesn't mean fiction can't be realistic.

Your way of playing him is no more realistic than mine outside of your own personal opinion of how you think he should act.

That's not true at all. If I would take off all Geralt's clothes and jump around in Novigrad in Geralt's underwear, literally jumping all the time, would that be realistic? Would that be just as realistic as trying to behave like a witcher who's on a serious quest?

The same as nothing is in or out of character for any of these fictional beings beyond what the writer decides to have them do or give you the choice to make them do at the moment. If the writers felt Geralt being a manwhore was "out of character" they had complete control to make it so by simply not giving you the option to do it. But they didn't which means they don't. Saying anything these characters do is "out of character" or "realistic" is completely arbitrary

First of all, Geralt isn't the dev's character, he's Andrzeij Sapkowski's character. He shaped Geralt and decided who Geralt is and what he does. The devs then tried to build a game around that and find a good balance between Sapkowski's vision of Geralt and their own, while at the same time also trying to give us players some freedom in roleplaying as Geralt.

If the devs really wanted to make their game realistic they indeed wouldn't have given us the option to blow 10k crowns on brothels. Why then did CDPR add brothels to the game? Well, obviously because it's fun and fun is ultimately what videogames are about.

That's the dumbest argument ever. "Realistic" and "real" are not the same thing. Ofcourse fiction isn't real. That doesn't mean fiction can't be realistic.

That's not true at all. If I would take off all Geralt's clothes and jump around in Novigrad in Geralt's underwear, literally jumping all the time, would that be realistic? Would that be just as realistic as trying to behave like a witcher who's on a serious quest?

First of all, Geralt isn't the dev's character, he's Andrzeij Sapkowski's character. He shaped Geralt and decided who Geralt is and what he does. The devs then tried to build a game around that and find a good balance between Sapkowski's vision of Geralt and their own, while at the same time also trying to give us players some freedom in roleplaying as Geralt.

If the devs really wanted to make their game realistic they indeed wouldn't have given us the option to blow 10k crowns on brothels. Why then did CDPR add brothels to the game? Well, obviously because it's fun and fun is ultimately what videogames are about.

The Geralt we play in game is NOT Sapkowski's character, he has even said as much. It's a character based on him but that's it. Which is why how he behaves in the books and how he behaves or can behave in the game is different. You claiming certain things are "unrealistic" for Geralt to do is nothing more than your opinion of how he should behave. The Devs obviously don't agree and so gave plenty of choices both in the open game and in the story choices to behave in various different ways. How you think he should act, what's realistic for him to do and so forth is nothing but your opinion as evident by the fact we aren't forced to act that way in-game.

luc0s

Forum veteran
The Geralt we play in game is NOT Sapkowski's character, he has even said as much. It's a character based on him but that's it. Which is why how he behaves in the books and how he behaves or can behave in the game is different. You claiming certain things are "unrealistic" for Geralt to do is nothing more than your opinion of how he should behave. The Devs obviously don't agree and so gave plenty of choices both in the open game and in the story choices to behave in various different ways. How you think he should act, what's realistic for him to do and so forth is nothing but your opinion as evident by the fact we aren't forced to act that way in-game.

So jumping around Novigrad's market square in Geralt's underwear is perfectly fine behavior for a witcher and totally not unrealistic? After all the game allows us to do this so it must be realistic, right?

Okay.

Anyway this is completely besides the point. My original point was that having a trio with Geralt would be out of character for Yennefer and Triss. You could argue that Geralt is not the same guy as he was in the books, but Triss and Yenenfer most certainly are still the same characters they were in the books.

Last edited:
So jumping around Novigrad's market square in Geralt's underwear is perfectly fine behavior for a witcher and totally not unrealistic? After all the game allows us to do this so it must be realistic, right?

Okay.

Perfectly fine behavior for a Witcher? In my opinion, probably not as it would most likely indicate some mental damage. Does that make it unrealistic? Absolutely not. If you think people jumping around public in their underwear is "unrealistic" I suggest you visit New York some time.

But he say i love you only to Triss and Yennefer not to the other womans, maybe its not about sharing Geralt its about that neither wont share his heart

While I might have liked a way to works things out later, what happened makes perfect sense within the narrative:

Triss' side: Completely sad and devastated after the last break up. Trying really hard to move on. Geralt shows up and turns her world upside down. Her barriers crumble, etc. And then after parting on the promise of building a future together, Triss finally thinks her wishes will come true. Before she knew their relationship was going to be really challenged when Geralt recovered his memories, and indeed, they broke up when that happened. This time though, it was a fully aware Geralt who was making that choice, and she felt she had gone to heaven, only to be brought down by the revelation Geralt was still in a relationship with Yen.

Yen's side: Was completely pissed about Geralt shagging her best friend, up to a year. He had the ammesia card, which, even though it makes Yen's angry, deepdown she understands and is trying to cope with it. The bed makes it hard though lol. Anyway, Geralt professed his love to her and all is good, till she finds out that he went and shagged said friendly again, this time with no cards to play and what's even worse, he told her he loved her. This is the last straw in her mind.

Top Bottom