Saying goodbye to Geralt.

+
Saying goodbye to Geralt.

CDPR stated that this is the last game with Geralt, and it truly saddens me. I enjoyed every minute of the Witcher 3 except the numerous times when I remembered that this is the last game with Geralt as protagonist. Geralt of Rivia is my favorite book character and he became my favorite video game character. He is the main reason why I loved the books and games. It was an honor and a joy to take the roll of Geralt of Rivia, the White Wolf.

I also want to thank Doug Cockle for lending his soothing voice to Geralt, and I want to applaud him for the great work that he did. His voice fits Geralt so perfectly and I read the books in his voice after playing the games. I don't think that he will see this post, but thank you.

Geralt is an Icon. Many people seem to forget that the Witcher would never be the same without him just like the Batman would never be the same without Batman, Max Payne without Max payne, Metal Gear Sold without Snake, Splinter Cell without Sam Fisher, and so forth. Geralt is and he will always be the Witcher, and the games never be the same without him. No one not even Ciri can replace Geralt. Another protagonist would change the tone of the game completely. So I strongly believe that this might be my last Witcher game. I really do not see why this should be Geralt's last game, and why should anyone replace him.

The saddest of it all is that I think Geralt did not get the ending that he deserved. Without spoiling anything I just believe It wasn't a real closure to his story, and the ending went against all he and the Witchers stand for. "No Witcher has ever died of natural causes", because they'd never put their swords down. They have a purpose in life and it is to defend humans and slay monsters.

Well, CDPR promises a solid 2-year support for TW3, which includes expansions and by the time hopefully this game has solid number of mods to further extend its lifespan, similar to Skyrim.

CDPR stated that this is the last game with Geralt, and it truly saddens me. I enjoyed every minute of the Witcher 3 except the numerous times when I remembered that this is the last game with Geralt as protagonist. Geralt of Rivia is my favorite book character and he became my favorite video game character. He is the main reason why I loved the books and games. It was an honor and a joy to take the roll of Geralt of Rivia, the White Wolf.

I also want to thank Doug Cockle for lending his soothing voice to Geralt, and I want to applaud him for the great work that he did. His voice fits Geralt so perfectly and I read the books in his voice after playing the games. I don't think that he will see this post, but thank you.

Geralt is an Icon. Many people seem to forget that the Witcher would never be the same without him just like the Batman would never be the same without Batman, Max Payne without Max payne, Metal Gear Sold without Snake, Splinter Cell without Sam Fisher, and so forth. Geralt is and he will always be the Witcher, and the games never be the same without him. No one not even Ciri can replace Geralt. Another protagonist would change the tone of the game completely. So I strongly believe that this might be my last Witcher game. I really do not see why this should be Geralt's last game, and why should anyone replace him.

The saddest of it all is that I think Geralt did not get the ending that he deserved. Without spoiling anything I just believe It wasn't a real closure to his story, and the ending went against all he and the Witchers stand for. "No Witcher has ever died of natural causes", because they'd never put their swords down. They have a purpose in life and it is to defend humans and slay monsters.

Very well written and I share a lot of the same thoughts though for me Ciri is the reason why I love the books. I would've never believed Ciri would be a playable character when Witcher 3 was first revealed so I still hold onto hope that we'll see Geralt return at some point. Besides, we still have the expansions coming so we'll be able to spend more time with The White Wolf.

I only skimmed the original post because I'm terrified of spoilers, but I'll say this - as much as I'll miss playing as Geralt and hearing Doug Cockle's awesome voice work, I think it's better to end it when people still want more than to run the character into the ground until everyone's sick of him. I'd rather remember Geralt as one of the greatest characters in any game ever than the face of some awful franchise ten years past its prime that appears everywhere and in everything because its owner can't come up with any new ideas. *cough*Mario*cough*.

And besides, I'm still going to be playing TW3 two years from now.

Well, Geralt stopped being a witcher towards the end of the books. You can clearly see that his relationship/bond with Ciri changed him a lot. Then of course he came back from the dead and well...went on the path again,but I still think that Geralt is not your ordinary witcher. From his relationship with Yenna to his destiny(aka CIri) he has so much more in his head than to save peasants from a cockatrice.

I share the same opinion as the OP. I love the books, and also the games, but they would not be the same if not for Geralt or the masterwork voice acting. Though I'm saddened that this is the last game, I doubt this will be the end of Geralt - also my favorite fantasy character ever. Maybe we can get a movie, a series or even a CGI cutscene like series, who knows.

And I actually doubt it that this will be the last witcher game, CD Projekt RED has reached mainstream, and Geralt showed it sells really well, I don't doubt the fact that years from now we will get another Witcher game or super HD remakes of the second and the first.

Last edited:

jj284b

Forum veteran
i actually love the ending of this game, as it goes quite well with original ending written by Sapkowski before he wrote the novel.. you know the one with
Geralt and Yen's wedding..

i actually love the ending of this game, as it goes quite well with original ending written by Sapkowski before he wrote the novel.. you know the one with
Geralt and Yen's wedding..

Yeah, i was quite satisfied with the ending i got.

Yep stop reading when discussions of the ending started but I complete agree with everything OP said. I've loved the witcher books and games mainly because of Geralt, not the universe. If Geralt isn't the main character I don't think I'd care to buy a witcher game. Precisely because it would feel like I'm playing a Gotham game but not as Batman.

Honestly, the "bad" ending was the most satisfying for me. It also felt most in line with Sapkowski left us at the end of the books.
With Ciri presumed dead by both the player and Geralt, and Geralt just about to die. Also, the feelings when Geralt found Vesemirs medallion kinda confirmed to him that Ciri was indeed dead, because if not for him she would at least come back for the medallion. It was such a good ending, I completely fell in love with it. This song fits it almost perfectly. http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...BIQ9GgDkU&start2=720&authorName=geralt+of+riv

Last edited:
Top Bottom