Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not misinforming anyone. Do you even know what parallax occlusion mapping does? It basically adds procedural-generated geometry on the spot (through tessellation) based on the normal-map and shader-settings that are provided. That shit is quite heavy.

Doesn't sound like it does that.. it sounds like it changes or adjusts the position of the texture (or the pixel of the texture filling the triangle?) based on the height map. Tesselation is what creates geometry.

No it doesn't it does a ray trace on every pixel that hits one of these textures though.. here's an easy to understand article.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resourc...oser-look-at-parallax-occlusion-mapping-r3262

Last edited:
guys seriously , cant you stop fighting ?

Question: Does this mean you have complete control over global illumination from these things?

Stepping back.. how does it work?

Even better question, does it work for interiors?

Awesome video!! Good stuff you're doing!

thanks , well ther's no global illumination in W3 , the settings for the lighting from what i understood are in *.env files, they control how environment feel and look , every region has one, sometimes many different version for different weather condition or specific moments/quests

there are *.env files for interior ( brothel, caves ect ...) so technically you can swap them or edit them but i didnt try it , ther's no way to edit *.env files at the moment since ther's no tool to open them, but ther's a lot of lighting controls in them, just by looking at them with notepad++

ps: now that i have a more accurate view of the files structure, i can tell you that modding the game is goin to be amazing, ther's so much possibilities, we just need the RedKit, making lighting a bit closer to the E3 demos will be defenitly possible

and more importantly nothing is crypted, so thanks to CDPR !

Last edited:
guys seriously , cant you stop fighting ?

thanks , well ther's no global illumination in W3 , the settings for the lighting from what i understood are in *.env files, they control how environment feel and look , every region has one, sometimes many different version for different weather condition or specific moments/quests

there are *.env files for interior ( brothel, caves ect ...) so technically you can swap them or edit them but i didnt try it , ther's no way to edit *.env files at the moment since ther's no tool to open them, but ther's a lot of lighting controls in them, just by looking at them with notepad++

ps: now that i have a more accurate view of the files structure, i can tell you that modding the game is goin to be amazing, ther's so much possibilities, we just need the RedKit, making lighting a bit closer to the E3 demos will be defenitly possible

and more importantly nothing is crypted, so thanks to CDPR !
thanks for sharing friend. it's always nice to see progress like this.
well i guess they weren't kidding when they said the game can be modded from launch, just not with the REDkit 2

Thanks for the info!!

Though please there is global illumination. Its a concept.. without global illumination any object in a scene can -only- be lit a direct light source. (There is direct or global illumination. Computer Graphics considers light similar to optics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optics.) That means you can only see the effect of torches, lamps, the sun and moon etc. This is not the case in witcher 3... you can see in the shade. The dark side of any object would be 100% pitch black without this (ignoring many peoples sweetfx settings :p).

A few pages back i rambling on about how this works.. in its simplest form its a constant for amounts + color, in its most complex form each point in the scene will project out a potentially large number of rays to find a correct additive of the light bouncing off ever part of every object around it that the bit can see.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_ray_tracing

When mucking around in sweetfx it seemed what they were doing was changing this amount+color based on time of day.. and i thought it was a bit random... was quite keen if you had been poking around in the game assets whether you'd seen these in your travels :) Although i have no idea what they have actually done for gi in w3.

If @luc0s wants to chime in how this works in realtime rendering would be good.

EDIT: Actually that also reminds me.. browsing around gta4 mods i spied something really interesting.. it replicated the photorealistic stuff from the enb configs but claimed only to be a weather/time of day mod. I wonder if thats the direction here also.

Last edited:
wow the flaming is strong over here ...

anyways, lets talk graphics, her's how moded weather settings can look , as you can see the contrast is high, the colors are less vibrant and feel more cold , this is with in game coloring, not color corrected with sweetfx/reshade , and its possible to change the weather settings for every zone seperatly ( i still have to figure out if its possible to do that for sub zones ), i used bloom from mastereffect in the 2nd fight, thats about it

the goal wasnt to re create "e3 graphics ", just to give a more cold/northern feel to novigrad in general without using sweetfx

[video=youtube;dR-evyP4N_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR-evyP4N_o[/video]

Very good job, I love the atmosphere,

Please when you have finished tailoring the mod post it in Nexus (or where you like) because I would love to try and use it myself (along looking a little at the files to see how you did things :evil:)

---------- Updated at 11:02 AM ----------

Nice idea. I should really get on playing though.. And my last version just simply doesn't look as good in screenshots compared to alot of the others. I chose to fix the shadows, in game, they did not look like the shadows i see when i go outside, and now they do somewhat reasonably. (i could have gone further but that effected the entire image not just shadows). But not having these dark great looking shadows probably isn't going get downloaded anyway.

I know what you mean here and it sucks. The shots taken in game when you see them outside have many subtle changes that make a dramatic difference and in certain cases what looks very good in game then looks like garbage on the taken screenshot. The same is true also on the contrary case, in fact: many of the presets that look very good in images don't do likewise in game (and actually the more good they seem and the more they sucks; it is not a rule, naturally, but it definitely happened with many presets I've tried, some of which are really really popular just because of those screenshots).

Maybe a solution could be to use a program outside to take the shots but I never tried myself and so I have no idea if this solves anything.

Last edited:
Was it just me, or did a stealth 34 meg update with no patch notes just break sweetfx? Reinstalling hasn't helped. I can't play the game like vanilla...

EDIT: I mean restarting. I'm currently reinstalling.... The errors just got worse... after i freshly replaced the reshade bundle it didn't even start, just crashreports. Mental note.. you disabled autoupdate for a reason.. ./facepalm

Last edited:
I don't know. I cannot test right now because I'm at work (in pause but stil I don't have the game here). Let's hope it is not so or I will cry, sob sob.

EDIT:

Try renaming dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll (or viceversa) and see if it works in this way. Also are you sure that you aren't using an overlay now? Maybe you tried using an external program to make a screenshot as I said. I doubt that CDPR has done something that blocks SweetFX from working.

Last edited:
I don't know. I cannot test right now because I'm at work (in pause but stil I don't have the game here). Let's hope it is not so or I will cry, sob sob.

EDIT:

Try renaming dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll (or viceversa) and see if it works in this way. Also are you sure that you aren't using an overlay now? Maybe you tried using an external program to make a screenshot as I said. I doubt that CDPR has done something that blocks SweetFX from working.

Nothing changed on my machine except the gog update. Maybe i was supposed to have much time in game tonight, lol.

Reinstall complete, works again, also, update hasn't offered itself again either. Must have been a glitch in the matrix.

Last edited:
Nothing changed on my machine except the gog update. Maybe i was supposed to have much time in game tonight, lol.

There's a thread on steam about the issue:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/615086038662939648/

For what I see info is contrasting on the argument. Some say it works, some say it doesn't.

EDIT:

It seems that in case there's a problem the solution is this:
"My GOG client just updated Witcher 3 and downloaded the new DLC's. It updated dxgi.dll which is used by SweetFX and now SweetFX/ReShade won't work. I tried replacing with the dll that comes with SweetFX but then the game won't start. Anyone else have this problem now as well?
Edit: It added d3d11.dll - Removing that + reinstalling dxgi.dll from ReShade fixed the problem."

If you just replace dxgi.dll the game will stop from working, but if you remove d3d11.dll (that the DLC puts in it seems) and then replace dxgi.dll then it works. As I said this is all from third party info because I cannot check by myself atm.

If all of this is true I cannot understand why CDPR added the file d3d11.dll.

Last edited:
Please, can anybody find a way to unlock graphics from dialog scenes?
I have made large number of pic. for comparison. Upper pictures are from actual gameplay, bottom are from dialog scenes.
Camera cheat was used during conversation with NPCs characters (shopkeppers, etc.) because only than better lighting/shading appears.

differences: ( in my opinion )

1. more detailed ambient occlusion ( appears on smaller objetcs, interiors, grass, NPCs )
2. beter and deeper indirect shadows between buildings
3. better floor and building texture coloring, coresponding to skylight. ( adds more realisam )
4. better light propagation of individual omni lights, at night. ( torches, etc. )
5. stronger shadows of sun/moon
6. better atmosphere
7. harder bloom ( for my taste to hard )
8. better Sub surface scattering on all npc's. Especially on Geralt's face.
9. better overall IBL shaders

all seetting on ultra, in some screenshosts bloom was off.

ps. sorry for large number off screenshosts, i couldn't resist :)

This game was released to early and has to many glitches and stupid issues - and the developers are waiting for the modding community to repair their game for free !

for those who want to increase draw distance and get rid of the annoying fog, this is for you (thanks to @MUPPETA):

Very good lookin shadows, didn't tinker with that,
but I changed this ones for my ultra;

Rendering ini from C, GOG,... (where is your game installed)

AllowFog=false
TerrainReadAheadDistance=18800.0f -(for a long distance view without extra fog layer-you'll still have fog in game)

MaxCubeShadowSize=1024 (BEFORE 512 )
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024 (BEFORE 512) - FOR DARKER SHADOWS

TextureMemoryBudget=1200
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=20.0f
DecalBudget=100
DynamicDecalsLimit=60 more life and more decals on screen

GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=128 -(FOR WAVES- from VGX trailer w3)
-you have to load save from tower of mice(fyke island) and meditate for a storm and sail to see it in action

You'll see FPS going down quickly- my gpu is GTX980
(check the links)
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15985&d=1433323724
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15986&d=1433323768
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15987&d=1433323835
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15988&d=1433323866

and for those who want to mess around with particles ( thanks to @GHOSTMD ):
Anybody messed around with the particle density yet?
Played a little bit with the maxallowedparticlecount line, but seems out this not
the only value that have to be changed to get more particles ... true is that its increasing
the effect.

This pretty much the only concern i have torwards GFX in TW3, for the rest ... its interesting
and thx for meddling with it... but i don t care that much about it.

As said particle density and texture / npc pop in has to be "fixed" tweaked
I don t use sweetfx either... TW3 looks gorgeous enough for me except for
the 2 points i wrote here

So any tipp which value i have to increase / decrease to for more particles?
Nvidia guide doesn t say anythings about it... except for the line i already edited

Last edited:
Sadly for now nobody has found out if it's possible to enable the cinematic lightning in normal gameplay (those shots look fantastic btw; so much difference, especially on the shots outside!). However Essenthy is working on modding the lightning via env files and his modifications look promising. Probably, however, the only way to do a proper work is to have RedKit.

That or Boris deciding to work on ENB for W3. Naturally the best woul be for CDPR to enable that lightning for all the game instead of only in cinematics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom