[PC] - Game is overly sensitive to GPU overclocking

+
There's no such thing as a game being 'sensitive' to overclocking. It's simply exposing the instability of your overclock.

I call complete fucking bullshit. My overclock is stable. I have never had a crash with my overclock in 6 months. I even leave it to benchmark on the PC for 48 hours before I consider it stable. Dont go throwing me that bullshit just cause you dont know the answer and trying to sound smart.

---------- Updated at 01:56 PM ----------

But I didn't overclock it. I keep it as it was default. I dont have OC software even.
But I am reading alot of post on nvidia forum that it is even factory OC that can cause game to crash.

Thats why I am thinking its not a overclock issue cause if I just use the factory OC it runs perfect for me. I can spend hours playing Gwent or in the inventory. What I see from the log is access violation. What I know about that is it tried to reach a address that isnt there or is invalid. To me that screams memory leak. When the game tried to read that part of the code it wasn't there due to memory leak and crashed. But that's just my two cents. The response CDPR gave to that statement was bullshit excuses trying to pass blame . Untill they are willing to admit they have a memory leak and fix it (Which will take a enormous amount of time as it is hard to pinpoint the exact leak. They may have it at various locations) we will have this issue for a while. Im glad my 980 at defult 1250/1750 can handle my game at ultra/high.

I have a 970FTW. I don't think it's an OC issue. I think its just not optimized. I can loop stress my card - running Unigene Valley and OCCT - at 1501Mhz - and no crashes or Bsod's; gpu temps holding at 70C. I think the game engine isn't optimized. It is a new engine; that plus the unoptimized drivers from nvidia. As the game matures, it will become better optimized at it's core to run stable across all settings.

I have 5 OC profiles. Each one below that is a lower OC and ends at 1 being stock speeds with just higher fan speeds. 5-2 will crash. No matter what I do. It will even crash if I just want to add 5 to the core. Its a weird issue. I have tried 12 previous drivers and that didn't matter. I honestly dont think its a OC issue but something else as my card is a SC version which is already overclocked by the company and I get no crashes when leaving it at stock speeds.

I know my OC is rather high but it is stable. I ran it under benchmark for 48 hours and it did not overheat or crash once. I have played other games and it does not crash. Something that was pointed out to me that I will need to try is getting a new PSU. Maybe the game is so intensive that it hits the card harder and then the card asks for more power then usual and the PSU cant give it that power for long and thats why it crashes.

I have a 290x Sapphire Tri-X that has major heat issues with anything other then the factory OC on The Witcher 3 only. No troubles with any other recent game. With my standard clock on GPU core and memory I'm normally in the mid 70c and at most 80c after a few hours of playing. With any type of vram OC change it shoots up to 90c or even to 93c before I kill the game. No crashes yet because of it, just way too hot. My GPU load is not a steady 100% and I crank up the fans so the % of fan is whatever temperature it reads, so 80c is 80% fan speed. I use Trixx as my OC software and have been running the same OC settings for the last 12 months plus over 20 to 30 different games I cycle through.

I have a 290x Sapphire Tri-X that has major heat issues with anything other then the factory OC on The Witcher 3 only. No troubles with any other recent game. With my standard clock on GPU core and memory I'm normally in the mid 70c and at most 80c after a few hours of playing. With any type of vram OC change it shoots up to 90c or even to 93c before I kill the game. No crashes yet because of it, just way too hot. My GPU load is not a steady 100% and I crank up the fans so the % of fan is whatever temperature it reads, so 80c is 80% fan speed. I use Trixx as my OC software and have been running the same OC settings for the last 12 months plus over 20 to 30 different games I cycle through.

What people are telling me/saying is that other games haven't been as optimized as this game or that GPU intensive as this game. SO apparently they are saying that our OC or our graphic cards even though they didnt crash on other games that was due to the other games not being that optimized or using the GPU that hard and this game does and that's why you see such an increase in heat or detecting bad OC...I call bullshit to that but maybe so.

What people are telling me/saying is that other games haven't been as optimized as this game or that GPU intensive as this game. SO apparently they are saying that our OC or our graphic cards even though they didnt crash on other games that was due to the other games not being that optimized or using the GPU that hard and this game does and that's why you see such an increase in heat or detecting bad OC...I call bullshit to that but maybe so.

I agree with calling BS for it. I used the same settings with Assassins Creed Unity, GTA V, Watch Dogs, Diablo 3, Wolfenstein, Metro: 2033 Redux, Shadow of Mordor, Dark Souls II, Far Cry 4, and a bunch of others. A few of the listed games had some very rocky starts, and some still suck, but while they didn't run the best they did not melt the silicone out of my GPU.

:edit: missed a comma

I agree with calling BS for it. I used the same settings with Assassins Creed Unity, GTA V, Watch Dogs, Diablo 3, Wolfenstein, Metro: 2033 Redux, Shadow of Mordor, Dark Souls II, Far Cry 4, and a bunch of others. A few of the listed games had some very rocky starts, and some still suck, but while they didn't run the best they did not melt the silicone out of my GPU.

:edit: missed a comma

Those people would come back saying that all those games you mentioned are not that greatly optimized so that why it didn't get hot. Those were not hard hitting games and bla bla. I just think they are wanting to make the Witcher 3 seem as more advance and intensive of a game then it really is.

I dunno, I overclocked my 770 with 100 on core and 300 on mem

no crashes, well, once on release day, but I hadn't overclocked then

My guess is that it's the driver. I played this game briefly when it came out but stopped since the performance was quite bad and read about the Kepler bug afterwards. With the latest driver my game runs buttersmooth at 60fps rock steady. Played it for about 1h30m, hardly enough to really test it enough but quite alright to see that it runs fine.

My card (EVGA GTX 780 Classified) comes factory overclocked to 1100Mhz and since I have it water cooled and with a custom vbios and volt mod i play it at 1387Mhz on the core with about 800Mhz or so extra on the memory. If it where to be the game being more demanding than anything else it would have crashed already. Seeing that other people, mostly Maxwell users have had crashes just surfing the web not playing any game it's probably more related to drivers and or any other setting.

Please stop talking in general terms and make it clear that this is your personal experience.

This isn't just my personal experience, so I'm not sure what you're on about. Do some searches and read for yourself. You'll find plenty of grievances on several sites. Tom's Hardware, Neogaf, Reddit, HardOCP, to name a few. I'm far from the only one who has experienced a crash using Fraps, even Shadowplay FPS counter, though this is usually the result of using SweetFX in most cases. I think it's a combination of recent drivers and the game itself. So while you're running TW3 with your OC'ed GTX 980's, it would seem that many people are having issues running this game with even a mild OC, some even with the factory OC forcing them to downclock to run the game without crashing. I myself haven't had any issue with my factory OC on my 980 Strix. My main issue I have had with crashes was due to low memory, which was the result of my page file being set too low.
For for the second part of my post concerning temps, now that is my personal experience, obviously. I doubt that I have to make that clear unless people have reading comprehension issues.

Also, in general. Maybe some of you should try a mild OC, but make sure you aren't running any FPS software like Fraps or Shawdowplay for instance. Perhaps it would help, maybe.

Last edited:
they did not melt the silicone out of my GPU.

is... your gpu supposed... to have silicone in it? ;p

(oh, maybe thermal compound? not all contains silicone hehe... silicone is so 1990s, people will think you're using a 386sx, or 486dx2, but crap, i stepped on my own toe, since neither of those required a heat sink, maybe the later 486's ;p)

Last edited:
Posted in another thread too, but the game crashes for me within seconds unless I underclock my R9 280x to the very lowest possible core clock (500mhz, half what it normally has).

The game obviously has very serious issues with some GPUs.

This, its not your overclock which is causing the crash its just exposing an already existing problem such as Nvidia driver for 7xx.

I have not has a problem on 290x and I even raised the over clock past my average of +100 mhz on the core.

I have once more to Agree. I've got no problem running TW3 at 60fps Vsync on, all ultra and beyond but without hairthing (anyway I prefer the natural moves by default) with my R9 290 while my friend with a 780ti is bored with constant crashes.

Ok, he tried to apply an overclocking from google and his MB bios settings was insane (LC PLL with a modified base freq, wrong voltages and so on), he even never cleaned his drivers with DDU and finally we changed the PowerSupply for a better one because he was not aware about overcloking power sucking deal ... now it's almost fine ... almost ;)

I ended with a bad joke or more a sarcasm :"did you check your IRQs ?" he said "eh ?"

is... your gpu supposed... to have silicone in it? ;p

(oh, maybe thermal compound? not all contains silicone hehe... silicone is so 1990s, people will think you're using a 386sx, or 486dx2, but crap, i stepped on my own toe, since neither of those required a heat sink, maybe the later 486's ;p)

Silicon, not silicone I would guess ;)

You cant really blame a piece of software (in this case the game) for crashing your overclocked components - its part of the OC experience. Most of the time you wont get a stable OC in any scenario by just flipping a switch or two in BIOS or your OC software. You have to invest time and try different voltages, settings, cooling methods and so on. You should be grateful a game managed to crash your poorly overclocked PC. Now you know its not 100% stable. On the other hand, if you didn't OC your components and they still crash in most cases its not the games fault, but more likely you have a driver or hardware problem.

Last edited:

rahal

Forum regular
It's not that simple. GPU are not like CPUs, they are monstrous chips which unlike cpu are just not designed to run flat out - if you could make every functional unit in a gpu work 100% at the same time the chip would die - and they have complex drivers part of whose job is to make sure that never happens.

The issue with maxwell chips is happening even with (modest) factory OC. It's nothing to do with temperatures or 'pushing the card too hard' apparently it's a problem with the bios/drivers which underclocks after cycling power states which some chips can tolerate and others can't. Hence why people are having driver crashes in google chrome of all things - and why people are crashing after exiting menus/cutscenes in witcher 3 but not any other time.

Last edited:

rahal

Forum regular
Because just about every 970 you can buy has a modest factory overclock. There's no "nvidia reference 970" you can actually buy (just a mashed up one with cooler from the 980).

I didn't choose to buy an OC model and I have no intention of OC it myself. I just picked a card with decent cooling/good reviews and it should be fine, not tdr at 61 degrees.

Last edited:
Posted in another thread too, but the game crashes for me within seconds unless I underclock my R9 280x to the very lowest possible core clock (500mhz, half what it normally has).

The game obviously has very serious issues with some GPUs.

Stable with my Sapphire 280x OC card,using quality Corsair TX 850W PSU however(made by Seasonic).

Top Bottom