Looking Back on the TW Trilogy, what would you change about it ?

+
Do you know who is one of the greatest villains of fantasy?

Sauron.

How many lines of dialogue does he have?

Zero.

The Wild Hunt's threat is in their constant presence and threat to Ciri's life.

He is just iconic I doubt anyone considers him a well developed villian

---------- Updated at 11:02 PM ----------

I disagree and think the Battle of Caer Morhen was extremely well handled. Admittedly, though, I'm not really sure the Wild Hunt had to appear beyond that.

What was your problem with the Hunt, anyway?

The Battle was pretty epic BUT The Wild Hunt were terrible and laughable antagonists

There were zero interesting conversations with them, they were basically just generic evil elves
No development etc. hell they weren't even threatening!

CDPR went down to Bioware's level in that regard (Corypheus in DA:I) and its a shame

He is just iconic I doubt anyone considers him a well developed villian

It depends on your definition and purpose of villainy. Sauron's actions are the guiding point of the story and he affects every single one of our characters on a deeply personal level. They don't need to interact with Sauron because he's a character who is expressed through his affect on other people. I'm also a big fan of zombies and zombie media (which I review extensively on my website).

Zombies are awesome villains but mindless because the point is the heroes dealing with them. Like a natural disaster.

Indeed, I like Sauron because he doesn't try to upstage the heroes' drama. Too many villains try to steal the spotlight versus fostering character development of the leads.

Best game (witcher 3) along with skyrim ive ever played. Not to mention how BIG the game really was, i never played witcher 2 or 1 but based on the resources CDPR had and the feedback, and ratings im sure those games were good as well. But going back to witcher 3, the game literally pulled me and other people ive known (along with most if not all the people on this forum) to feel strong emotions and feelings towards this game. It was crazy, i never felt this way about a video game, and Its sad that we wont have another Geralt witcher game but i sure hope theres a chance we do because of all the popularity and fame this game will get. 10/10, sans the ending.

I dont see reason why would Wild Hunt chat with Geralt and explain their reasons, on the other hand they maybe could show story when Geralt was rider of the Wild Hunt and explain it beter, it had more sense to me that way than Geralt chating with Wild Hunt

I disagree and think the Battle of Caer Morhen was extremely well handled. Admittedly, though, I'm not really sure the Wild Hunt had to appear beyond that.

What was your problem with the Hunt, anyway?

Dude...think Letho in W2...shoving your sword into him isn't the only way of tying up his plot line nor making him a threat...the way Letho was handled in the W2 was pure GENIUS!!!! ...he had a lot of nuances and sure, some people would just cut his throat but others wanted to hear him out...maybe let him walk or cut his throat after... you feel my drift?? Characters need to be fleshed out properly... just droping a guy in black armor into the game and putting a sticky note on him that he's the bad guy is simply an awful way of doing things! Food for thought..

The Wild Hunt were still terrible and laughable antagonists
Probably even Bioware level (Corypheus in DA I)

Khmmm... well. While I get why people find Eredin and his knights a boring and blank bunch in the game, the truth is that they are very well established antagonists with a well defined goal only it was introduced in the books prior to the games. The greatest fault of The Witcher 3 is that it - despite all the marketing telling you otherwise - is not for newcomers, not even for the previous games' fans, but for the fans of the books. The dev team and the writers are big fans of the source material and it shows. So much that they somehow forgot that not everybody who plays TW3 is.
My take on the game series when it comes to story/plot development is this:

TW1 - CDPR made a game based on TW books. Sure, it ends with a cliffhanger, but at that point it was one standalone title. The game is full of references and echoes of the novels and short stories. It is more of a tribute to the books, and not so much a logical sequel to them. Think of a fan fiction game from the fans to the fans of the books yet you did not need to be a Wiezdmin fan in order to enjoy it, since it had its own self contained plot.

TW2 - CDPR went as far as to make their own TW novel if you like. It is kind of a sequel to both the books and the first game, but more like a spin-off. It's a great stand alone story of Geralt of Rivia and co.. It's more of a sequel to the books, but still not quite there. This chapter was for everyone: both fans of the books and the previous game, and even for newcomers. It worked very well on its own yet it was somewhat connected to everything that happened before and foreshadowed something big for the future. TW2 was the real entry point for newcomers.

TW3 - CDPR produced the actual sequel/final chapter for the books. The game is built up as the last novel in the saga. Both TW1 and TW2 are only handled as a prologue to it. TW3 is not their sequel but of the books. So I see why the new fans who got hooked with the previous games are somewhat disappointed. They expected a sequel to TW1 and 2 and not a sequel to the source materia. While both previous games are kind of still there but handled only as a long prologue. Without reading the books new fans may easily get lost and confused while playing TW3 and they also might feel that everything they knew about the lore or saga is disregarded, thrown out.

People expected a sequel to the TW2: the story of the third Nilgaardian invasion, the contemporary alliances Geralt made, the lovestory with Triss and the political situation in the North. There were signs in the third act of TW2 that something entirely different was coming though: after lifting the curse in Vergen, Geralt regained his memory of the past (him, but not the player) which had had no real importance in the plot up until then. Geralt's lost memory of his past life was only treated as plot and character development device, while in TW3 we are introduced to a Geralt who regained his full memory back and behaves accordingly. His only goal becomes to catch up with his lost years and get his loved ones back. He does not give a rat's ass about Temeria, the North, and past alliances anymore. So there's a huge turnaround between the two games when it comes to the main character, the plot elements, the goals and the treatment of all of these things.

There's a big discrepancy (for the fans who are unfamiliar with the books) between the previous two game's Geralt and his motivations and the one we meet in TW3. People knew that he was a predefined character with a past, but his previous life had no real relevance (some references excluded) in the story up until the very beginning of The Wild Hunt. Geralt's newely regained memory changed everything drastically in a whim and fans of the games could not really follow.

Last edited:
Dude...think Letho in W2...shoving your sword into him isn't the only way of tying up his plot line nor making him a threat...the way Letho was handled in the W2 was pure GENIUS!!!! ...he had a lot of nuances and sure, some people would just cut his throat but others wanted to hear him out...maybe let him walk or cut his throat after... you feel my drift?? Characters need to be fleshed out properly... just droping a guy in black armor into the game and putting a sticky note on him that he's the bad guy is simply an awful way of doing things! Food for thought..

Eh, Letho is a different sort of character than the Wild Hunt. He's an antagonist rather than a villain.

If the Wild Hunt could be chatted up, that would diminish the constant sense of TERROR he induced, IMHO.

We need a relentless, implacable, and hate-filled foe. They could have done better but Eredin didn't have to chatty or sympathetic.

Khmmm... well. While I get why people find Eredin and his knights a boring and blank bunch in the game, the truth is that they are very well established antagonists with a well defined goal only it was introduced in the books prior to the games. The greatest fault of The Witcher 3 is that it - despite all the marketing telling you otherwise - is not for newcomers, not even for the previous games' fans, but for the fans of the books. The dev team and the writers are big fans of the source material and it shows. So much that they somehow forgot that not everybody who plays TW3 is.

TW1 - CDPR made a game based on TW books. Sure, it ends with a cliffhanger, but at that point it was one standalone title. The game is full of references and echoes of the novels and short stories. It is more of a tribute to the books, and not so much a logical sequel to them. Think of a fan fiction game from the fans to the fans of the books yet you did not need to be a Wiezdmin fan in order to enjoy it, since it had its own self contained plot.

TW2 - CDPR went as far as to make their own TW novel if you like. It is kind of a sequel to both the books and the first game, but more like a spin-off. It's a great stand alone story of Geralt of Rivia and co.. It's more of a sequel to the books, but still not quite there. This chapter was for everyone: both fans of the books and the previous game, and even for newcomers. It worked very well on its own yet it was somewhat connected to everything that happened before and foreshadowed something big for the future. TW2 was the real entry point for newcomers.

TW3 - CDPR produced the actual sequel/final chapter for the books. The game is built up as the last novel in the saga. Both TW1 and TW2 are only handled as a prologue to it. TW3 is not their sequel but of the books. So I see why the new fans who got hooked with the previous games are somewhat disappointed. They expected a sequel to TW1 and 2 and not a sequel to the source material where both previous games are kind of still there but handled only as a big prologue. Without reading the books new fans may easily get lost and confused while playing TW3 and they also might feel that everything they knew about the lore or saga is disregarded, thrown out.

People expected a sequel of the events in TW2: the third Nilgaardian invasion, the contemporary alliances Geralt made, the Triss love story and the political situation in the North. There were signs in the third act of TW3 that something else was coming though: after lifting the curse in Vergen, Geralt regained his memory of the past which had no real importance in the plot up until then. Geralt's lost memory of his past life was only treated as plot and character development device, while in TW3 we are introduced to a Geralt who got his full memory back and his only goal is to catch up with his lost years and get his loved ones back. He does not give a rat's ass about Temeria, the North, and past alliances anymore. So there's a huge turnaround between the two games when it comes to the main character the plot elements, the goals and the treatment of all of these things.

Yeah I can see that, making TW3 a sequel to the books instead of the games and shamelessly pandering to book fans was a silly move
Its as if some book purists took over at CDPR, I mean what about the fans of the games?

TW3 is still a great standalone (and for book fans of course) game but its a terrible sequel and final chapter of the Trilogy

Yeah I can see that, making TW3 a sequel to the books instead of the games and shamelessly pandering to book fans was a silly move
Its as if some book purists took over at CDPR, I mean what about the fans of the games?

TW3 is still a great standalone (and for book fans of course) game but its a terrible sequel and final chapter of the Trilogy

As a fan of both the books and the games I can confirm this. When I started playing TW3 I was like, "hell yeah, Geralt's back" and when I met Yennefer, Emhyr, Djikstra, Cirilla etc. I was totally blown away since I was looking forward to all of this, and I did not need to catch up with anything because I read the books prior. When I came here to the forums I realised where CDPR screwed up big time. While I was filled with joy by every little detail and reference to the books, I recognised that my joy was the source of confusion and disappointment for others.

I mean, just small things like the first meeting between Geralt and Emhyr has a totally different relevance for fans of the books and for fans of the games. To me that scene was all about past memories: these two guys share a very long and complicated history bound by destiny almost to the point where it makes them strange friends. But to the game fans this guy was nothing but a mysterious villian and the great enemy of the free North, the totallitarian puppet master who was behind the assassinations, yet Geralt, even if a bit reluctantly suddenly treats him as an old acquaitance. So much so that he even takes a job from him to find some girl everybody starts blabbering about... confusion, confusion and even more confusion for those who didn't read the novels.

Last edited:

TW3 - CDPR produced the actual sequel/final chapter for the books. The game is built up as the last novel in the saga. Both TW1 and TW2 are only handled as a prologue to it. TW3 is not their sequel but of the books. So I see why the new fans who got hooked with the previous games are somewhat disappointed. They expected a sequel to TW1 and 2 and not a sequel to the source materia. While both previous games are kind of still there but handled only as a long prologue. Without reading the books new fans may easily get lost and confused while playing TW3 and they also might feel that everything they knew about the lore or saga is disregarded, thrown out.

People expected a sequel to the TW2: the story of the third Nilgaardian invasion, the contemporary alliances Geralt made, the lovestory with Triss and the political situation in the North. There were signs in the third act of TW2 that something entirely different was coming though: after lifting the curse in Vergen, Geralt regained his memory of the past (him, but not the player) which had had no real importance in the plot up until then. Geralt's lost memory of his past life was only treated as plot and character development device, while in TW3 we are introduced to a Geralt who regained his full memory back and behaves accordingly. His only goal becomes to catch up with his lost years and get his loved ones back. He does not give a rat's ass about Temeria, the North, and past alliances anymore. So there's a huge turnaround between the two games when it comes to the main character, the plot elements, the goals and the treatment of all of these things.

There's a big discrepancy (for the fans who are unfamiliar with the books) between the previous two game's Geralt and his motivations and the one we meet in TW3. People knew that he was a predefined character with a past, but his previous life had no real relevance (some references excluded) in the story up until the very beginning of The Wild Hunt. Geralt's newely regained memory changed everything drastically in a whim and fans of the games could not really follow.

You touch on many true things here. The most interesting is the different between Witcher 1/2 Geralt and WItcher 3 Geralt. In a way this is unavoidable given that for some reason, Witcher 2 continued with Geralt trying to recover his memory. When he did, you were never given any indication that he had changed. But in Witcher 3, his memories give him the foundations for his motivations and attachments. Now important to note, the player is playing as Geralt. But because the player doesn't experience the backstory of Geralt and can't understand his motivations, it is as if Geralt in Witcher 2 is dead and the Geralt in Witcher 3 is an entirely different character. It makes for a confusing and inconsistent character. The simplicity of amnesia was that the player could start fresh with Geralt and could roleplay as Geralt because Geralt knew as little about his life and past as the player did.

So the story would be confusing likely to fans of the previous games, and newcomers. The game caters to fans of the books, which is odd because they are not translated in English nor are they widely read.

As a fan of the books I can not see how TW3 is a sequel to the books. Written off characters, killed off characters which should not be, thr different world state, different goals of the characters, very much OOC for some chars. Yes, there is a references from the books for a fans, and I appreciate it, but when I look at the big picture, it does not resemble the saga. As a stand-alone, yes, great game, but I can not see more than AU of Sapkowski universe.
But I love this AU, so I waited TW3 being more a sequel for a TW2, but this mash-up between book facts and developer fantasies is a little bit off for me and as a book fan and as a TW2 fan.

They've been translated into English.
I don't appreciate you taking excerpts of my posts and trying to draw me down a strawman. I read the books in Polish and tried a fan-translation in English. The professional translations were some of the worst I've seen but the fan-translations are the barebones literal transcription and ALOT is lost in translation. Coming from someone who is relatively fluent but not perfect in Polish, even I could detect the numerous instances where the nuance was getting lost and the tone was very different.

And once again, you've grasped on the wrong point entirely.

I don't appreciate you taking excerpts of my posts and trying to draw me down a strawman. I read the books in Polish and tried a fan-translation in English. The professional translations were some of the worst I've seen but the fan-translations are the barebones literal transcription and ALOT is lost in translation. Coming from someone who is relatively fluent but not perfect in Polish, even I could detect the numerous instances where the nuance was getting lost and the tone was very different.

And once again, you've grasped on the wrong point entirely.

You have the strangest idea my response was something other than letting fans know that the books are available in English.

I have nothing but respect for your opinions even if I disagree with them.

I'm sorry you don't feel the same.

Last edited:
Maybe better ending choices, we only discuss which ending is better for Ciri empress or witcher, no one mentions Radovid or Djikstra victory its like those endings dont exist

I'd have made Witcher 3's story about the war and politics rather than about chasing after a girl we never met. The entire plot in Witcher 3 was just a weird wild goose chase. It was good but the entire game was still just about chasing after some girl we were never properly introduced to as a character. I spent the entire main quest wondering when I'd get onto the real stuff - the politics, the war, that sort of stuff.

Wouldn't have thrown the Witcher 1 and 2 into the trash to instead tell a fairly bland good vs evil story that requires reading the books to have any real investment in. Wouldn't have forgotten to develop the antagonists. Wouldn't have even bothered to introduce the White Frost. Wouldn't have sidelined Triss given her importance in the first two games. Wouldn't have continued the game beyond the battle of Kaer Morhen and instead would have build the story around the idea of ending it there. Oh and wouldn't have turned Radovid batshit crazy.

Don't get me wrong I love the Witcher 3. It's the best open world game I've played since Morrowind back in 2002 but it really failed as a sequel. There was so much good material in 1 and 2 that they could have done something with.

Sorry if I am basically repeating anything anyone else has said (8 pages to read through).

I've only played The Witcher 3, that being said a lot of mates have strongly suggested playing TW1 and 2 as they are apparently better. But I have read a lot of lore and tried to get my head around the world of the witcher. So for my post I can only suggest things relevant to TW3.

-Witcher quests; This is by far one of my biggest disappointments with the game. Some of them are absolutely amazing, basically, the first two (Griffin and Noonwraith) and a few others, but from there it really starts to lose its strengths and quality.
I wish they had less, but more thought out longer witcher quests with implications on the outcome of the surrounding areas. At the moment almost every one of them is the same thing; look for a track, follow the track to lair, on the way listen to geralt talking to himself and figuring out which beast it is and apply appropriate oil, kill beast, get reward. I never feel like I am genuinely doing any of the tracking, and more importantly I have never truly felt like you need to face off against the beast in question using a specific technique. Yeah one beast might be more prone to igni than another according to the beastiary, but it doesnt show significantly, unless you are playing Death March. Not to mention the so called multiple methods of approaching the quest is non-existent with the majority of these quests. Some of them have some cool side story tidbits, but its not enough to carry them towards being memorable side quests.

Potential SPOILER: Take for example the oxenfurt drunk. I personally think its one of the more memorable witcher contracts. You look for a beast killing people at night, and find that the beast in question has a preference to drunkards. From an audience perspective that is pretty damn cool. However, its given to you tooooo fast. Walk up to a guy, he tells you theres a girl in a tavern, girl tells you she was drunk and felt it grab her scirt, was lucky to leg it, now go to medic and perform autopsy; viola Geralt knows its a drunkard-loving vamp... Part of the problem here is everything is easily accessible. The drunk lady just happens to be standing there right next to the inn-keep, no reason to look around and figure out who's who, the medic lets you in too easy, why? There is no mistery to solve on the part of the player is the point I am trying (failing) to make.
More so, as said before, there is one approach to finding the monster, and there is no difference between fighting it and a drowner really. Basically, you go out drunk, sing songs whilst your screen wobbles slightly (Geralt is apparently drunk, but it has no impact on his fighting ability or witcher senses?). The fight simply requires that you use some black blood (if you have it) and vamp oil (preferably enhanced/superior). Why not have multiple approaches to luring out the Vamp; shove some alcohol down a pigs snout and let it loose on the streets and follow it; wait for a drunk man to leave the inn and follow them; hire a strumpet to have a few drinks with you and walk the streets where the attacks took place; etc. etc. These are just examples, and each example (with regards to luring out the vamp) should have associated consequences. Get drunk yourself and the vamp ambushes you, not to mention your alcohol level will make it more difficult to fight the vamp; follow the man and the vamp will injure him greatly (you lose half the reward and people around town give you dirtier than usual looks); hire the strumpet and she will die (go to prison); do the pig thing and the pig will be ignored, vamp kills innocent, you fail quest (reappears one week later, but reward will be capped and vamp grows stronger) and you go to prison.
Why not also have the fight be more unique, maybe make it so that Geralt can only deliver a killing blow by piercing a silver stake through its heart (so you must craft a silver stake), which would require you to knock it down (Aard to knock down, or black blood = drowsy vamp), followed by a button prompt sequence, or a button mash sequence. Or make it so the igni weakness is apparent, in that hut there would be a fire place and you can alternatively push it into it for an alternative kill. End Spoiler.

Arguably its too much going on for a single quest, but thats how it should be. A handful of absolutely amazing quests versus many mediocre, repeat the formula quests. Dont get me wrong, some of the witcher contracts are amazing, but most are mediocre and a few are rubbish.
The other big problem is the repetitive use of certain beasts, with no truly unique element to them. Spoiler again, vampire at byways, oxenfurt drunk, the serial killer (not a witcher contract technically), etc. are all the same, no need for any varied tactics... End Spoiler.

-Axii, why so damn easy! You need three ability points and it is by far the most useful ability, irregardless of build you are aiming for. Couldnt add a mini-game or something corny to make the axii feel like something you have to maintain? Wouldnt it have been much better if you have to balance it, go too far and you break the characters mind, causing outrage right around you, go too low and the character snaps out and points out what you've been doing all around you? On the PS4 the advantage would be that we have six-axis, and that should be used for this, not sure how it would apply on PC/Xbox One (tap < and > to keep a bar in the middle of a fluctuating meter; or use the analog stick?).
Also maybe introduce different types of Axii mind-control skills. For example; one skill would specifically induce Fearfulness, another would cause characters to blank out, another would induce rage directed at someone, one would cause sleepiness, and one would cause characters to become weirdly agreeable with you. Each would have two levels, so if you want to be the master of mind-control you would have to invest big time into it, and it becomes a genuine opportunity-cost in character design. That being said it would also require a variety of quests to implement it, with outcomes that do not break the quest for going too far/allowing someone to snap out. Heck it would be cool if Geralt could torture opponents, and this would greatly aid the torture process.

-Wild hunt implementation, almost non-existent to begin with. I have never felt threatened by them, there impact on the world feels minimal, even though every time someone mentions them they are startled. Would have been cool if the wild hunt had agents throughout the world, at a certain time of day the wild hunt would be on the prowl and your medallion would begin to vibrate if they've come after you. Almost like Dying Light with its night time volatiles; in the early game I never wanted to go out at night, but later on I could take them on, I felt like I had accomplished something when I first beat them, even though they were the ones hunting me! This is something the Wild Hunt should do to you, Geralt should be somewhat wary of taking them on, and your instinct should genuinely be to run (ofcourse this would require that Roach doesnt stop at every bridge or tiny changes in elevation!).
Sadly this is never the case.
Spoiler, take the Keira Metz questline, that fight was pretty poor. The boss was badass looking, but he moved slow, barely did anything to harm me, and was overall not difficult to take on, not to mention he would occasionally get stuck on the side of the cave. It felt like a typical tank battle, it just took long to bring his health down. It set the tone for me with regards to the Wild Hunt. End Spoiler.

-Battles need to be unique, although not truly relevant to the storyline, and I know I've already mentioned this, but the game truly lacks it, and really needs to force varied tactics out of the player where appropriate. Good gameplay mechanics fortified by unique deviations from the typical formula when appropriate also fortifies a good storyline, as it needs to feel difficult to take on an opponent if the opponent is supposed to inspire fear, or has all this repute of being this incredibly all-powerful force. The witcher is a unique game in that it expects players to prepare for battles, and arguably requires more deviations from your typical tactics than regular video games do. However, the preparations for battle are never truly unique, oils only provide special damage buffs (unless you take on the relevant skills), bolts and bombs are ONLY useful on deathmarch (truly useless otherwise), etc. etc. They need to be more unique, and almost necessary to defeat certain enemies. More so, relying on preparation alone is not really enough to drive the combat aspects of the game, the interaction itself needs to be unique. Enough so that it almost feels like a part of the narrative of the game.

-Varied world. Swamp, more swamp, grass, more grass... etc. etc. Damn this games world is repetitive. Wheres the vertical, and wheres the varied landscapes! Give us a small desert, mountain passes, etc. DA:I has a very few things it does better, and one is the unique variations in regions! White Orchard feels like Velen, most of Novigrad feels like Velen (the exception being Novigrad itself), and skellige is unique from Velen but still not too disimilair. It really does create a sense of repetitiveness, even when doing different quests. This world might be bigger than skyrim, but skyrim felt bigger. Same with GTAV, again its all cause it has variety.

Now I know this post has pretty much blasted the game, but I do think Witcher is FANTASTIC. I am at about 200 hours gameplay FFS (Exam at end of this month and have yet to touch a single source of revision!). One of the best games ever!

-Varied world. Swamp, more swamp, grass, more grass... etc. etc. Damn this games world is repetitive. Wheres the vertical, and wheres the varied landscapes! Give us a small desert, mountain passes, etc. DA:I has a very few things it does better, and one is the unique variations in regions! White Orchard feels like Velen, most of Novigrad feels like Velen (the exception being Novigrad itself), and skellige is unique from Velen but still not too disimilair. It really does create a sense of repetitiveness, even when doing different quests. This world might be bigger than skyrim, but skyrim felt bigger. Same with GTAV, again its all cause it has variety.

I agree with all...but not on this point. What you seek is a potato land. Which is really bad from a level design standpoint.
There's really no need for variety, of the map take place in a small portion of the world.

This is why GTA V world is so bad.
Passing from a hill, with green grass, to a desert....

I agree with all...but not on this point. What you seek is a potato land. Which is really bad from a level design standpoint.
There's really no need for variety, of the map take place in a small portion of the world.

This is why GTA V world is so bad.
Passing from a hill, with green grass, to a desert....

I cant argue with that logic, but then there is the benefit of having multiple regions in the game world which are not on the same map. Not asking for your typical desert, maybe one more like the Gobi desert. In fact it could make sense if placed behind a mountain range as that is the only reason the Gobi desert is a desert, its cold unlike most and sometimes is blanketed with snow. But it just provides the detour to keep your eyes fresh.
I think i've gone more into wishlist territory now anyway! :p

Top Bottom