How are you Role-playing??

+
How are you Role-playing??

I was interested in knowing how you guys are role playing for increased immersion...
Here is what I have been doing -

1. TURING OF MINI MAP - Relying on the direction of sun instead. Referring to the world map only once(strictly) till I reach the destination.
2. LOOKING FOR VANTAGE POINTS - Climbing hills and tall structures to survey the area and decide the path to destination.
3. MEDITATING ONLY WHILE IN VILLAGES - Restricting meditation only in human occupied areas. Makes surviving the world tougher as potions do not regenerate. Forces me to use potions only when absolutely necessary.
4. NO FAST TRAVELLING - Never have I once fast traveled, except from one open world to the other, I make a mental map of the world as I travel. I am already familiar with a lot of places now. I know whats where, without a map.
All these things combined makes Witcher 3 a better game imho. Immensely enjoying the game so far!

So how are you guys doing it?

Removing meta-information we shouldn't be using [in the first place] isn't necessarily roleplaying *IMO* but I give credit to anyone who plays like this. Makes the game a hundred-fold more immersive.~cheers~

I get very frustrated when I need to run around and dont find the spot where Im supposed to go ... That being said I still prefer everything being turned off , as the hud distracts from taking in the sights abit ...

So I established a general sense of direction in my first playthrough ... in my second playthrough I turned everything off ... places I need to revisit , I use fast travel for ... but there are times when I just roam the wilderness & discover things.

Playing without hud works on lower difficulty just fine ... for combat it can be annoying when you play on death march , since its really important to know the condition geralt is in.. also when you health does not regenerate ( on higher difficulties ) you never know how much food you need to eat ... thats why I want a turn on/off hud button .. just to take a quick glance at my health bar .... it would make things so much easier .... going to the menu is just too much trouble to go through everytime...

I hoped that I dont need a mod ... but I probably must download the console enabler soon....

First thing I turned off was all the HUD elements that get in the way of immersion, as well as the yet to be discovered points of interest (question marks) and available quest exclamation markers on the main map. Which I also use extensively to check if I'm still on the right track. Kinda like it's done in Gothic.

I also adopted the alternate way to manage your alchemic needs where you basically throw away your empty or used up potions or bombs and craft them again like the first time using all of the required ingredients and not just alcohol. I pick up every herb or monster part I come across while travelling from here to there anyway and also don't shy away from going off the beaten path once in a while so I figured I could put all the materials to their proper uses just as well and sell the rest for some extra cash.

Besides that I also avoid meditating as much as possible and do something meaningful like treasure hunts or contracts to pass the time.
Fast-traveling is an absolute no-go as well, and I pretty much kept my version of Geralt at the "factory settings", meaning NO shaving, NO haircut, NO style over substance in regards to armor and as always I try to remain as neutral as possible and avoid taking sides.

luc0s

Forum veteran
First thing I turned off was all the HUD elements that get in the way of immersion, as well as the yet to be discovered points of interest (question marks) and available quest exclamation markers on the main map. Which I also use extensively to check if I'm still on the right track. Kinda like it's done in Gothic.

I also adopted the alternate way to manage your alchemic needs where you basically throw away your empty or used up potions or bombs and craft them again like the first time using all of the required ingredients and not just alcohol. I pick up every herb or monster part I come across while travelling from here to there anyway and also don't shy away from going off the beaten path once in a while so I figured I could put all the materials to their proper uses just as well and sell the rest for some extra cash.

Besides that I also avoid meditating as much as possible and do something meaningful like treasure hunts or contracts to pass the time.
Fast-traveling is an absolute no-go as well, and I pretty much kept my version of Geralt at the "factory settings", meaning NO shaving, NO haircut, NO style over substance in regards to armor and as always I try to remain as neutral as possible and avoid taking sides.

That sounds... really tedious.

I would never be able to play a game like that. Turning off the HUD is one thing, but throwing away your used potions and avoiding meditating? Come on man.

But hey, whatever floats your boat man.

That sounds... really tedious.

I would never be able to play a game like that. Turning off the HUD is one thing, but throwing away your used potions and avoiding meditating? Come on man.

But hey, whatever floats your boat man.

I wonder if he's one of those people who deletes his saves and starts again if he dies in-game.

Tho, I don't quite understand why going to the barber and getting a haircut or shaving is a no-go for him. Why would that break immersion when it's a perfectly normal and realistic thing for someone to do? If anything I'd think never going for a shave and haircut would be more immersion breaking since it's unrealistic for someone to never cut their hair yet have it always remain the same length.

Last edited:
My happy place:

- Turning off the minimap and things you don't need.. left the health bar of course which seems to nicely fade if you're full.
- I don't look for waypoints because i don't know the terrain or have a (precise) compass. Having a detailed map seems reasonable, so i bought the insanely poor quality ipad app, and use that to study the paths... where is the closest one.. where to i go, how do they fork, where are big landmarks like rivers and towers etc. So armed with my map i don't use the ingame 'm' map at all except for multiple phase quest objectives (and when i'm desparate find out where i am.. i haven't reliably worked out the sun compass yet.. and i don't want to go to the meditate screen every time to see what time it is.. you do make mistakes and end up lost... its fun.
- I use the crpg mechanics quick travel when i feel like it, no strict rules. Not that often actually.. more at the beginning and end of play sessions which i don't mind.
- Rping like this makes me love the combat. Geralt is not a level 1 noob zone witcher by a long shot. The whole wrong (and it feels like the developers thought this too by pretty much making it optional). One you the player know how to play like a witcher... it feels just right. Lore wise Geralt is op. Geralt can die if he does it wrong. Perfect.

While I respect what you people are doing (I would love to actually enjoy doing this immersive stuff) it can hardly be considered role-playing. Role playing would be stuff like: "Oh, Geralt in the books isn't seen stealing from peasants, so I won't loot people's houses and camps" or, "I will always be good and refuse payment, or be a monster and treat everyone like crap". What you're doing is just your style of playing, or trying to be more immersive (which is great). I can role-play a specific Geralt without turning off stuff, or maintaining the habit of meditating everywhere and be completely non-immersive.

Once again, no offense. Just my opinion.

I was interested in knowing how you guys are role playing for increased immersion...

1. TURING OF MINI MAP - Relying on the direction of sun instead. Referring to the world map only once(strictly) till I reach the destination.
2. LOOKING FOR VANTAGE POINTS - Climbing hills and tall structures to survey the area and decide the path to destination.
3. MEDITATING ONLY WHILE IN VILLAGES - Restricting meditation only in human occupied areas. Makes surviving the world tougher as potions do not regenerate. Forces me to use potions only when absolutely necessary.
4. NO FAST TRAVELLING - Never have I once fast traveled, except from one open world to the other, I make a mental map of the world as I travel. I am already familiar with a lot of places now. I know whats where, without a map.
All these things combined makes Witcher 3 a better game imho. Immensely enjoying the game so far!

Pretty much similar to you though not that strict about world map also unlike you i actualy like meditating in wilderness or semi dangerous places and get suprise attacks from monsters. I am just playing my own version of geralt though a bit more reckless than the lore also wild imagination and headphones seems to really help for my rp :)

Heh, I'm not quite as extreme, I removed superfluous info but kept the health bar and the minimap, though I just think it adds to the immersion rather than the role-play.

The way I role-play, no fast travel, I use the torch rather than Cat as much as possible and I avoid running like a mad man in towns, other than that, I loot EVERYTHING, I'm a hoarder, can't help it, I also keep every books, as for dialogues options, the nice guy I always try to be. :p

I get very frustrated when I need to run around and dont find the spot where Im supposed to go ... That being said I still prefer everything being turned off , as the hud distracts from taking in the sights abit ...

So I established a general sense of direction in my first playthrough ... in my second playthrough I turned everything off ... places I need to revisit , I use fast travel for ... but there are times when I just roam the wilderness & discover things.

Playing without hud works on lower difficulty just fine ... for combat it can be annoying when you play on death march , since its really important to know the condition geralt is in.. also when you health does not regenerate ( on higher difficulties ) you never know how much food you need to eat ... thats why I want a turn on/off hud button .. just to take a quick glance at my health bar .... it would make things so much easier .... going to the menu is just too much trouble to go through everytime...

I hoped that I dont need a mod ... but I probably must download the console enabler soon....

some quests have very buggy tracker, it will lead you in the wrong direction. My guess is that you got mislead by the tracker.

While I respect what you people are doing (I would love to actually enjoy doing this immersive stuff) it can hardly be considered role-playing. Role playing would be stuff like: "Oh, Geralt in the books isn't seen stealing from peasants, so I won't loot people's houses and camps" or, "I will always be good and refuse payment, or be a monster and treat everyone like crap". What you're doing is just your style of playing, or trying to be more immersive (which is great). I can role-play a specific Geralt without turning off stuff, or maintaining the habit of meditating everywhere and be completely non-immersive.

Once again, no offense. Just my opinion.

Good points. Even though my gog has clocked 40 hours i'm only about 15 or into the actual game.. i'm not liking at all the idea of looting.

As far as being always "good" he isn't really. Geralt has more of an individual set of values specific to him. Its made more complicated as the other party in the books nearly always isn't stereotyped as good or evil (compared to lord of the rings say). I think its quite easy to rp geralt as a... common say.. human player (just don't be extreme while at the same time not taking crap). The only time Geralt turns into a puddle is with his girls, Yen, Ciri and Triss.. and yeah.. haven't got that far in the game. I personally had lots of fun with triss in w1 and w2.. but i'm planning on going with book geralt as far as w3 goes.. hes really in love with yennifer there. Though of course.. their relationship isn't like 2 hobbits in the shire either... yennefer while kinda possessive doesn't have a problem with geralt and triss (time of contempt). she said as much to both of them.

You do need to read the books... see.

Also witchers spend months on the road and seem to not often return to kaer morden. They meditate anywhere...

I have never played this game with mini map on, ever. It was the first thing I turned off, among several other things.

I have never used fast travel either, never! Not even once.

I role play out as the choices I make in the dialogues, the way Geralt is.. I chose to care and try my best to help those I think are good and not evil.

Meditate is something I can do anywhere, it's not a problem for Geralt to find inner peace anywhere in the world, his will is strong.

some quests have very buggy tracker, it will lead you in the wrong direction. My guess is that you got mislead by the tracker.

yeah thats right .. I found the place ... but not the exact spot sometimes .. even though I used the big map then...

I role-play Geralt as if he was me in real life. I spend 75% of my game-time in a whore house drinking booze and accomplishing absolutely nothing!

I do many of the things mentioned here plus some other stuff to try to immerse myself as much as the in-game mechanics permits. I also try to "behave/react" as the real Geralt would.
I do hunting, eat, I take baths on rivers/lakes and so on.

What I would really love to have is a mod that adds basic needs, like eating, sleeping, penalties depending on weather/enviroment, etc. I would also like to be able to cook meals, make small camp fires anywhere I want and to have seating and sleeping animations!

I don't know about you but another aspect I am missing is the ability to sneak. It will add to the feeling of being a hunter imho.

Cheers!

1- I study my enemies. I don't just try to left click spam, instead, I study each enemy's weak spots and deal with them accordingly. Use potions, oils and bombs effectively. I always prepare before setting of for a journey. Fill my bombs, keep a decent amount of food and drinks, you never know when you might need them.

2- I study the map. While exploring, I tend to scout ahead from high places and not just dart forward blindly. The most fun I had was when I actually started using the torch. I seriously feel like a wanderer sometimes. You can easily navigate without one, but for the sake of realism and immersion, I use it when it becomes dark.

3- Turn off mini-map, although I have to keep it on as I'm putting videos on YouTube and it is not convenient for viewers. Anyway, I learned how to spot cardinal directions using sun's/moon's placement.

4- I don't loot for money. I loot what I might need and make money through contracts and quests. Sometimes, if I think the quest-giver needs the money more than I do, I refuse the reward.

5- This one is the most important for me: I don't look up builds. I just try to level up what I feel would be the most convenient skill regarding my play style. Further, if I see that a skill is too overpowered, I immediately stop using it.

6- No fast travel, no sprinting when unnecessary. I always try to blend in with the crowd. When I go through a village, I just walk or ride my horse at walking pace. I try not to disturb civilians so I wait for them to pass instead of ramming through them with Roach. When I whistle for Roach, I actually call her in real life :)

7- Make decisions accordingly. I don't trust in the save & load capability while making choices. I make choices that I find to be the best and don't regret anything/roll back and make the other choice. You don't have to be the hero or the saviour in every instance. Sometimes you cause things to fall, it's just the nature of decision making.

That's all that comes to my mind for now ;)

I tried that but the devs didn't really plan for this well enough ...... A hotkey would be very nice to turn on the minimap only when desired. Quest givers also don't give enough info to go HUD free.

Here would be my roleplaying improvements of W3
1) A HUD hotkey would be a good compromise.
2) A portable tent and campsite like in Frostfall Skyrim
3) Being able to cook your raw ingredients like meat and make food.
4) Boat Storage and ability to repair it.
5) A real journal
6) The ability to cremate dead bodies with Ignii to both get rid of them and as a Witcher's duty
7) The ability no make some wild places into a permanent campsite with storage.
8) Bandits and deserters who try to rob you instead of murdering you every time.
9) Loads more choice on how to do things

Top Bottom