The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Demanding a romance dlc, *chuckle* that was unthinkable before Witcher 3 and almost exclusively a Bioware thing, people here even made jokes about that:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-romances-were-done-in-the-Mass-Effect-series

And now we ain't any better, great. I also want more dialogues with the characters, but in the context of the game and not as a dlc about how my normal daily life looks like with my dream waifu.

If a mod @gregski @Kinley @sidspyker thinks that it this is getting a little bit out of hand, i won't hold any grudge, if s/he removes some comments, even or especially from me, i even ask to do so.

I can't speak to anyone else s desires but what I want from a "Romance" Expansion would be a long multi-stage/part set of quests, two or three. Each one would have you paired off with the romance interest you chose and you would have to deal with the other being in the story a bit. If you chose Yen, then one quest you would travel and exist with her for a the term of the story. The story would bring you into contact with Triss and the three of you would have your deal with it moment. Same kinda thing if you chose Triss.

I would think both quests would have an option for you to do it with the OTHER woman too...talk about some pressure on the womanizer Geralt on a long trip with the other-woman and then having to come home :O

It would be two quests with four possible run through's...that would be pretty good bang for the buck.

I don't even want to think how bad this would be for those who chose to stay unaffiliated...hell, that would be a FIFTH playthrough!

Does that make sense? I hope so...I don't want to have a "romance" expansion and it be about long walks in the moonlight and sex 8 times...wait, maybe the last part butt...naaa! They should be GOOD stories where you are just paired up with the others like they do at various points in the main game.

It's not in jest, she's telling the truth. Triss straight-up lied to Geralt in The Witcher 1 to peek his interest. In the books, Geralt and Triss were never together and Geralt never had any romantic interest in Triss, he was always running after Yennefer. This made Triss extremely jealous but she tried to keep that jealousy to herself as Yennefer is her friend. When Geralt returns in TW1 with amnesia and with Yen's disappearance, Triss took full advantage of the situation and tried to imprint the idea in Geralt's mind that they (he and Triss) used to be couple, which is a complete lie.

Yeah, I mentioned in an earlier post that Triss comes across as sweet and innocent even though she can be sneaky. In the games she pulls some of the same crap she did in the books. The problem is no one seems to really acknowledge any of this. When she tells Geralt she took advantage of him, it was not during a real conversation. It felt like an innocuous comment made in passing. And Geralt never gets to confront her about this. Her behavior is brushed off or ignored. Meanwhile, everyone and their mother is telling Geralt about Yennefer’s flaws and how bad she is for him. Although, I am happy with the way CDPR handled the implementation of Yennefer in this game, and I’m glad they focused more on her. I just wish we would’ve had the opportunity to take Triss to task for some of her actions.

Yeah, I mentioned in an earlier post that Triss comes across as sweet and innocent even though she can be sneaky. In the games she pulls some of the same crap she did in the books. The problem is no one seems to really acknowledge any of this. When she tells Geralt she took advantage of him, it was not during a real conversation. It felt like an innocuous comment made in passing. And Geralt never gets to confront her about this. Her behavior is brushed off or ignored. Meanwhile, everyone and their mother is telling Geralt about Yennefer’s flaws and how bad she is for him. Although, I am happy with the way CDPR handled the implementation of Yennefer in this game, and I’m glad they focused more on her. I just wish we would’ve had the opportunity to take Triss to task for some of her actions.

Yeah exactly. It almost feels like CDPR is whitewashing Triss's vices and past actions while every single one of Yennefer's flaws is clearly highlighted. It gives people who don't pay much attention a very skewed view on both ladies. Yennefer is better than TW3 makes her seem to be while Triss is worse than TW3 makes her seem to be.

In the end I think both Yen and Triss did some equally fucked up shit in the past. Geralt himself isn't exactly holy either. All 3 of them have major flaws and that's what makes these characters so fun and believable. But I do wish the game would show Yennefer's sweeter side more often while showing Triss's bad side more often as well.

Still, I am content with how Yennefer's arc was handled in TW3.
I really loved that scene on the boat at the end of the Last Wish quest when Geralt and Yenenfer truly declared their love for each other for the first time.

Last edited:
Moral of the story. fuck around all you want just not your lover's best friend :p

I wonder how will Geralt react if Yennefer slept with Vesemir or Lambert or Eskel.

What annoys me about the amnesia is that if a man took advantage of a woman´s amnesia to sleep with her the ****storm would be huge, and with reason. But Triss doing it is OK?

I wish to point out that Yennefer and Geralt regularly sleep with different people. Just that they only felt love for each other and not others. So physical aprt of it doesn't matter here.

---------- Updated at 01:23 PM ----------

Moral of the story. fuck around all you want just not your lover's best friend :p

I wonder how will Geralt react if Yennefer slept with Vesemir or Lambert or Eskel.

She does sleep with other people altough not these specifically.

I can't speak to anyone else s desires but what I want from a "Romance" Expansion would be a long multi-stage/part set of quests, two or three. Each one would have you paired off with the romance interest you chose and you would have to deal with the other being in the story a bit. If you chose Yen, then one quest you would travel and exist with her for a the term of the story. The story would bring you into contact with Triss and the three of you would have your deal with it moment. Same kinda thing if you chose Triss.

I would think both quests would have an option for you to do it with the OTHER woman too...talk about some pressure on the womanizer Geralt on a long trip with the other-woman and then having to come home :O

It would be two quests with four possible run through's...that would be pretty good bang for the buck.

I don't even want to think how bad this would be for those who chose to stay unaffiliated...hell, that would be a FIFTH playthrough!

Does that make sense? I hope so...I don't want to have a "romance" expansion and it be about long walks in the moonlight and sex 8 times...wait, maybe the last part butt...naaa! They should be GOOD stories where you are just paired up with the others like they do at various points in the main game.

That's not such a bad idea, but i have the feeling that many people just want something similiar to the party dlc ME3 had. That was maybe a nice touch & final goodbye in the Mass Effect series, but that just doesn't fit in the Witcher, if you ask me. I don't want dates in Witcher, the only date i had in the Witcher games was in Witcher 1, where i had to bring wine and meet the miller's daughter at night.

The Witcher is a grey zone, nothing is really good or happy endish. Yet the good ending in Witcher 3 is almost too good in context of the world, "And they all lived happily ever after."
I am really glad and happy that my first playthrough ended with such a happy end, but i also wouldn't have mind, if CDPR pulled another ending like Sapkowski did. When i first finished the books, i felt empty, because i didn't know, if they are now happy or not. I didn't know what to do with that, but i had to accept that. I also have to accept that Sapkowski probably never write a sequel and elaborate on so many lose ends he left in the books.

They key thing that is missing for me, are dialogues. There are were too few opportunities where you can actually talk with someone between the quests, not during quests. They added some items, which you can give certain persons, but you never get much more than an one-liner. That's something Bioware always did better in my opinion.

They don't need to add full quests or even 15-25 hours dlcs for that, get the voice actors together, let them talk with each other and record it :)

You act like Bioware is something to be ashamed of, [...]

No, it isn't, but CDPR is not Bioware and The Witcher is not Dragon Age/Mass Effect, and vice versa. Both handle their sex, relationships and romance differently, in the way they think it is appropriate and they should be able to do that their way, if they want so.
People are calling The Witcher an adult game, because it has sex, not it isn't an adult game, because it has just sex, it is an adult game, because it handles sex/romances/relationships/violence/nudity/war/death like grownups and not like a teenager.

What i never liked about Bioware/ME/DA is that you could almost start a relationship with anybody, if you wanted to. You just needed to say the right words or bring the right presents. It was like all characters just exist for you, waiting for you to pick them up like ripe fruits. But the biggest difference is that you are Shepard or whoever is the maincharacter in DA, you are him or her. In The Witcher you aren't Geralt, you are playing him. Little differences, but big consequence.

Seems like a lot of people favour one of them , but are there anyone who doesn't like Yen nor Triss ?

There are and i think they can be pretty happy that they can jilt both women now and have their fun with others like Keira Metz and that's a good thing. Not everyone has to like them, this way they can be single and independent.

I wish to point out that Yennefer and Geralt regularly sleep with different people. Just that they only felt love for each other and not others. So physical aprt of it doesn't matter here.

She does sleep with other people altough not these specifically.

Yeah, but both know that and nobody can tell me that Triss doesn't know that either, because she is even one of those women.

But both never really accuse each other for that behaviour, because when they did it, they did it with men/women the other partner didn't know, except for Triss.

Last edited:
I ended my first game with Yennefer, more because of Geralt. Tried to play taking choices that he would do. No I´m going for a more freeform witcher with less Geralt roleplay and more of my personality so I would go for Triss.

But I also think that after some time inside the game, when you speak more with Yen, you can see more about her charm.

What i never liked about Bioware/ME/DA is that you could almost start a relationship with anybody, if you wanted to. You just needed to say the right words or bring the right presents. It was like all characters just exist for you, waiting for you to pick them up like ripe fruits. But the biggest difference is that you are Shepard or whoever is the maincharacter in DA, you are him or her. In The Witcher you aren't Geralt, you are playing him. Little differences, but big consequence.

Eh, while "Geralt's" story is over, I hope they revisit him. I also hope they allow other romantic options than Triss or Yennefer.

Bachelor Geralt or other characters.

You act like Bioware is something to be ashamed of, instead of one of the most immersive and talented game makers today.

That's because BioWare is something to be ashamed of.

BioWare used to be one of the most immersive and talented game makers, but today? Nah man.

I really dislike their social-justice policies. The characters in their recent games are all token characters. Instead of their characters being rich personalities like The Witcher's characters, they're mostly reduced to "that gay guy", and "that lesbian elf" and "that transgender woman" etc. It's stupid and not immersive at all.

@luc0s

Yeah that scene on the wreck was just awesome.

Hm... if you play the game with open eyes you clearly see the flaws of both ladys.
Recognized how Triss shows of her "dark side" at a certain point during her quests?

You even can choose to comment it then, as Geralt ;)

The point is... when Yen x Geralt get so much romance plot and attention ppl who decide to got
with Triss x Geralt should get the same amount if romacne plot and attention.

Otherwise its just uneven and doesn' t feel right (for me) since TW3 is the story conclusion for
Geralt you know ...

Well... i still hope this will get "fixed" and balanced ... mabye with even more Yen / Triss joke around?
This would be so awesome just getting along a bit ... fooling around with Yen / Triss and get a good
smirk on the comments they give each other :D

PS:

Give us a "slap ayss" timed decision RED' s ^^ i missed that option for Tomira :D
HEHEHEHHEHE every time i enter her house in the prolouge i miss that decision dialog :p

Bachelor Geralt or other characters.

Cyberpunk 2077 will have a player generated character, let's see how CDPR can work with that. Maybe the next Witcher game will have also a player generated character and then the possibilities are almost limitless and not limited by books or lore.

Apropos books, i found a really good passage in the book to show how cold-hearted Yennefer is:

The Sword of Destiny:
They looked at each other for a long time, a very long time. The red glow of the fire danced over their faces. Yennefer sighed suddenly, veiling her eyes under their lashes.
“Geralt, no. Don't start...”
“It's Belleteyn,” he interrupted, “did you forget?”
She approached slowly, put a hand on his shoulder and pressed gently against him, curling herself gently against his chest. He stroked the raven-black hair that fell in curls like snakes.
“Believe me,” she murmured, lifting her face, “I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if if it were only a question of... but there's no sense in it. Everything would begin again and end as it did before. There's no sense in us...”
“Must everything make sense? It's Belleteyn.”
“Belleteyn?” She turned her face. “What difference does that make? Something drew us to these fires and these celebrating people. We intended to dance, to let loose, to get a little drunk and vigorously enjoy freedom from good manners here, in honor of the renewal of the cycle of nature. And what? We trip over each other after... how much time has passed?
After... a year?”
“One year, two months and eighteen days.”
“I'm touched. Do you do that on purpose?”
“Yes, Yen...”
“Geralt,” she interrupted, leaning back suddenly and shaking her head, “let me be clear: it's impossible.”
He confirmed with a nod of his head that this was clear.
Yennefer pushed her cloak back from her shoulders. She wore a thin white blouse and a black skirt held by a belt of silver links.
“I don't want to start again,” she repeated. “And the idea of doing with you... what I intended to do with the handsome blond... under the same rules... that idea, Geralt, I find demeaning. Degrading for you and for me. Understand?”
He nodded again. She looked at him, through her lowered lashes.
“You aren't going?”
“No.”
She remained silent for a moment, then shrugged her shoulders impatiently.
“You're offended?”
“No.”
“Come, let's sit down somewhere, away from the chaos. Talk a little. You see, I'm glad that we met. It's the truth. Let's sit a moment. Agreed?”
“All right, Yen.”

[...]

Feeling tense, Geralt caressed Yennefer's curls and inhaled the scent of lilac and gooseberry they gave off. If I want her too much, he thought, she will sense it; it might upset her. I'll ask her quietly if it's all right.
“It's nothing new to me,” she said. Something trembled nonetheless in her voice.
“Nothing worth mentioning.”
“Don't do that to me, Yen. Don't read my mind. It bothers me.”
“Forgive me. It's instinctive. And you, Geralt, what's new?”
“Nothing, nothing worth mentioning.”
They remained silent.

[...]

“Belleteyn!” she cried suddenly. Geralt felt the shoulders pressed against his chest rise and fall. “They have fun. They celebrate the eternal cycle of nature. And us? What do we do? We, the relics, those condemned to death, to extermination and oblivion. Nature is reborn, the cycle repeats itself. But not us, Geralt. We can't perpetuate ourselves. We are denied that possibility. We have inherited the gift to do extraordinary things with nature, sometimes against it, but we have been deprived in return of what is most simple and natural.
What does it matter that we live longer than humans? There is no spring after the winter; we are not reborn, our end carries us with it. But something draws us to the fires, even though our presence is a cruel joke, a sacrilege against this festival.”
She fell silent. He didn't like to see her fall into such darkness. He knew too well the reason for it. It's starting to gnaw at her again, he thought. There had been a time when it seemed that she had forgotten or accepted her fate. He moved his shoulders, rocking her like a child. She did not resist. Geralt wasn't surprised; he knew that she needed it.
“You know, Geralt,” she said, suddenly calm, “it's your silence that I've missed the most.”
He pressed his lips to her hair, her ears. I want you, Yen, he thought, I want you, you know that. You know it well, Yen.
“I know,” she murmured.
“Yen...”
“Only for now,” she replied, watching him with wide-open eyes. “Only on this night that will soon disappear. That will be our Belleteyn. We will part in the morning. I beg you, don't count on anything more. I can't... I couldn't. Forgive me. If I hurt you, kiss me and let me go.”
“If I kiss you, I'm not leaving.”
“That's what I thought.”

[...]

“Yen?”
“Oh... Geralt.”
“Yen, are you crying?”
“No!”
“Yen...”
“I had promised myself... I had...”
“Don't say anything. It doesn't matter. Aren't you cold?”
“Yes.”
“And now?”
“Warmer.”

[...]

“Geralt?”
“Hmm...”
“The day will break.”
“I know.”
“Have I hurt you?”
“A little.”
“Will it start all over?”
“Nothing ever stopped.”
“Please... I feel good with you...”
“Don't say anything. Everything's fine.”
The smell of smoke was rising from the heather. The smell of lilac and gooseberries.
“Geralt?”
“Yes?”
“Do you remember when we met the Great Mountain Kestrel? And the golden dragon? What was his name?”
“Three Kestrels. I remember.”
“He told us...”
“I remember, Yen.”
She kissed the back of his neck, pinning his head and tickling him with her hair.
“We were made for each other,” she murmured. “Perhaps even destined for each other. But none of this can happen. It's a shame. We will have to separate when the day breaks. It can't be otherwise. We have to separate so as not to hurt each other: destined for each other, made for each other, but the one who created us should have thought of something more. Forgive me. I had to tell you.”
“I know.”
“Making love makes no sense.”
“You're mistaken.”
“Go back to Cintra, Geralt.”
“What?”
“Go to Cintra. Go, and this time don't give up. Don't repeat the mistake from last time...”
“How do you know?”
“I know everything about you. Have you forgotten? Go to Cintra, go as fast as possible. A dark time approaches. Very dark. You must get there in time...”
“Yen...”
“No, don't say anything, please.”
It was more and more fresh and more and more clear.
“Don't go now. Wait for the dawn.”
“We'll wait.”

Really cold-hearted /s

Geralt almost forces himself on her despite she doesn't really want to do the same over and over again, being with him, breaking off, being with him, breaking off. She doesn't want to be hurt anymore again and again and again, but she is the cold-hearted bitch? Treating Geralt like a dog? Yeah, sure.

She isn't an angel, far from it, but she also isn't the bitch people always call her, that's just unfair.

The same goes for Triss, yes, she exploited the amnesia and used even magic to charm him, when he broke off with Yennefer again, but that doesn't make her a monster either and last but not least Geralt isn't a shiny knight either.

Not often he just make out with a woman trying to forget Yennefer, only to lust her the next day again. The woman he just slept with was just an substitute for Yennefer, how nice of him.

Open your eyes, none of them is flawless and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you can appreciate the good side of the characters.

This thread's gotten off topic.

We're here to talk about how it's a tough choice, but Yennifer's ultimately superior to Triss. Slightly. So, why do you think everyone likes Yennifer so much better?

I think it's partly because of the way her butt looks in those pants with those heels on. Triss' style has been downgraded in W3.

---------- Updated at 05:42 PM ----------

Hm... if you play the game with open eyes you clearly see the flaws of both ladys.
Recognized how Triss shows of her "dark side" at a certain point during her quests?

Triss' "dark side" kinda pissed me off because she was self-loathing afterward. Yen comes off cold sometimes, but she's more confident and deliberate. There's no moral uncertainty in her actions. Triss is warm, but her emotionality comes with some baggage.

Triss' "dark side" kinda pissed me off because she was self-loathing afterward. Yen comes off cold sometimes, but she's more confident and deliberate. There's no moral uncertainty in her actions. Triss is warm, but her emotionality comes with some baggage.

Being unconfident is her biggest flaw, but i think she grows through the games and finally in Witcher 3. She finally took the responsibility for others, for those sorcerers and tries to lead them. Usually she was always an appendage of others, a follower, never really standing on her own feet.
But finally she overcomes her flaw or at least she is trying for the first time. That was her biggest flaw in the books, where she was always naive and reluctant to do the right thing. Triss sacrifices her life to help others.

Yennefer on the other hand was always a "business woman", always being in politics and in charge of important roles, as Geralt says, "You? Dropping plots and politics for good? You're in your element in that world, it's your life.", but she wants to leave all that behind for good, for him, for her family. Yennefer sacrifices everything she has ever accomplished in life (~70-80 years of work) to be with him or them (Ciri).

It's also refreshing how, when they meet, Yennifer's pragmatic about Geralt's relationship with Triss. She's like "You don't need to tell me 'this time apart made me love you more' or any other bullshit. I know you had amnesia, so there's no need for excuses."

She indeed is crowing out of her insecurity.. which makes the missing Triss romance plot
even more obvious.

Where the fuck is her STEP up for Geralt and her love for him, a insecure look? Really Triss?
After you fought witchhunters even torture ppl ... she doesn t have the guts to let a word fall
out of her face there?

Well i guess you see the point :D its kinda interesting how the characters develop in TW3
But its obvious that this is missing for Triss in certain points. :( really a bad choice by CDPR
i would say.

To be fair, the game's not a dating simulator.

W2 and W3 have impressive female character design (Skyrim simply lacks proper boob physics, even with mods) although the romance plots are side dishes in the overall gameplay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom