[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

+

Guest 3819801

Here is true hdd usage during first cutscenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5LfrSSeW4

Not these bullcrap shots made by PrincessMassacre.

As you can see first hdd usage occurs at 2:44... The usage is 225,280 bytes per second at max. That's 0.225280 mb per second.
HDD usage lasts until main menu shows up at very low hdd usage (40000~ bytes per second).

The next "serious" hdd usage occurs at 4:15. Almost 1,8mb~ peak and then it drops to 0,5mb average. And then to 0.38...

After that we can see "high" hdd usage in the in-game cutscene (when FPS raises to 30fps).
So this is absolute bullshit how game uses 36mb/s as Princess claimed.

About this claim how "presets are loading to vram causing stuttering", I'll make another video right now so that this troll PrincessMassacre won't bother us anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
all cutscenes AND the menu run at 19fps
wrong thread: blame nvidia
awesome credits run with 19fps too with tons of stutter

none of this has anything to do with the cinematics but with your card/setup/nvidia garbage, talk to someone with an nvidia card in another thread...

start your own thread an post dxdiag, crashdumps, etc... dont spam other threads...

Guest 3819801

none of this has anything to do with the cinematics but with your card/setup/nvidia garbage, talk to someone with an nvidia card in another thread...

start your own thread an post dxdiag, crashdumps, etc... dont spam other threads...

You are in wrong thread mate.
We're discussing low fps in cutscenes here which is relevant to nvidia/amd users so start your own topic called PrincessMassacre and discuss there your lack of problems in cutscenes.

We've already understood they run fine for you so it would be more use of you if you could find possible solutions and post them here. Thank you.

dont spam other threads...

the only one spamming this thread is you and while doing so you are even to lazy to at least read this thread.
like i said: in this thread also AMD user complained about that issue...

so all you do is continuing making one wrong statement after the other. so pls go. no one ever asked for your "help"

and cutscenes dont have anything to do with the cinematics? lol are you mentally ill?

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

Also, speaking of trolls "assets which constantly load to and unload from vram causing stuttering and low fps".

Here is the second video I promised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPQk13s-Vs

Here you can see that vram is filled with data on Withcer 3 load up to 731mb. During this cut-scene it fluctuates to 735mb only once and stays at 731mb during whole cutscene. Which proves that there is nothing being loaded and unloaded from/to vram. So, as I said game doesn't load shit during cutscenes.

When we start game vram raises up to 1105 mb and stays there till the actual game starts and pre-rendered cutscene stops playing.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "loading assets/unloading assets" during cutscenes.

Just for you PrincessMassacre, I ran in same time the opening cinematic (Yennefer with the crow) on dual screen with the game on my 1st monitor and the cinematic wich is in the GOG bonus pack (and only encoded at 24 fps) on my 2nd monitor with Windows Media Player. 1680 x 1050 monitor for the game and 1920 x 1080 for the simple cinematic, so no cheat.
MSI Afterburner monitoring for the fps in game + overall use and Fraps for the fps in WM Player.

And do you know what? 23 fps with crap judder effect in game and 60 fps ultra smooth cinematic in WM Player. GPU overall 33% used there.

Both ran in same time + firefox and other apps in background.

So please stop with your assets, pre rendered cinematics run like crap in the game cause it's coded like crap. Over.

You can right now stop your troll and ridiculing you I think... I can make you a video if you want more. Go ahead, kiss.

Last edited:
I've opened a support ticket as well now and supplied them with a video demonstrating the poor video framerate in game.

So far they've suggested that the video was encoded at 24fps (ok but mine plays at 15-17fps) and bad hdd sectors....

I don't understand why this is proving to be so difficult to get logged as a defect, because it clearly is.

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUgrBNugBVw

Last edited:
I've opened a support ticket as well now and supplied them with a video demonstrating the poor video framerate in game.

So far they've suggested that the video was encoded at 24fps (ok but mine plays at 15-17fps) and bad hdd sectors....

I don't understand why this is proving to be so difficult to get logged as a defect, because it clearly is.

Their answers and behavior make me completely ill. Lies after lies. Ok HDD bad sectors now, what next?

For the thread about the pop in issues, they even explained to a guy that wasn't a problem but a feature of the game. :like:

Last edited:
Here is true hdd usage during first cutscenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5LfrSSeW4

Not these bullcrap shots made by PrincessMassacre.

bro, stop misleading people. that's not the first cutscene... that's the intro movie...

the first cutscene is when you load into the game, after main menu....

that's when it loads assets...

i swear to god, reported for utter trolling (or just for having an opinion and no facts, the worst).

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

bro, stop misleading people. that's not the first cutscene... that's the intro movie...

the first cutscene is when you load into the game, after main menu....

that's when it loads assets...

i swear to god, reported for utter trolling (or just for having an opinion and no facts, the worst).

Troll calls me troll...
Video doesn't stop on opening cinematics... It also captures first cutscene after I press new game. So you not only didn't read previous pages but also didn't watch video.

https://youtu.be/JV5LfrSSeW4?t=200

If you watch it till the end you will notice that it begins loading something only on half the way of cinematics and it reads from HDD with very low speeds. 0.5mb/s average.

So please go report yourself for misleading people.

again, that's not the first cutscene... that's another intro movie...

might as well stop this nonsense now.

that movie, the intro movie, and credits play just fine on everyone else's machine.

this is a problem with your hardware setup, or its compatibility with the game/drivers.

that's not what this thread is about. find the correct thread. cya.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

again, that's not the first cutscene... that's another intro movie...

might as well stop this nonsense now.

that movie, the intro movie, and credits play just fine on everyone else's machine.

this is a problem with your hardware setup, or its compatibility with the game/drivers.

that's not what this thread is about. find the correct thread. cya.

Let's look the first page and see what topic starter wrote in first post and wanted to discuss in this thread:

I'm running my Witcher 3 on a GTX 970 and the FPS for the game is quite nice and stable. However, whenever it enters any in-game cutscenes, including the intro cinematic, the FPS seems to be stuck at 25-26 for some obscure reason. Even the pre-rendered CGI cutscene feels really sluggish under that.

I've tried fiddling with various options, Vscync, full screen instead of borderless, etc but the cutscenes are still limited like that. Does anyone have the same effect or know what's causing it?

including the intro cinematic, the FPS seems to be stuck at 25-26 for some obscure reason. Even the pre-rendered CGI cutscene feels really sluggish under that.

So according to original post this topic is about low fps in all cutscenes, intro cinematics and pre-rendered CGI cutscenes. We are exactly discussing CGI cutscenes on latest pages of this thread. Only topic starter has right to select topic of his thread. Not you.

Oh wait, maybe you are an OP? Let's see

Giantmoth is topic starter.No, sorry. Giantmoth doesn't equal to PrincessMassacre. You are not topic starter.

inb4; i already stated that EVERYONE'S cinematics are locked to 25-30 FPS, not just yours... l2r

now take your nvidia problem somewhere else (better yet, take that nvidia and trash it).

this topic mentions nothing about menu and in-game performance, as you seem to have issues with.

go find some other people with the same problem and the same card... and tell them to trash it too.

this is apparent to everyone but you...

and stop bolding/quoting giant walls of text. it makes you look silly.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

inb4; i already stated that EVERYONE'S cinematics are locked to 25-30 FPS, not just yours... l2r

No it's not locked at 25-30 fps for everyone. Mine is locked at 22.

Here are some other proofs which you don't like:

Same for me. Even the main menu I get 18fps but according to msi only 1% of my gpu's are being used :/
Hi,

Same problem here. The cutscenes (the ones with the drawing style, and the ones prerendered with the engine) as the menu run slowly, at 18 fps at max.
This is a very strange issue, and it breaks a little bit the experience of the storytelling.

Steam version here. I have tried only changing the value, but doesn't seem to work that way. I'm gonna try what sidspyker suggest of making the file only-read.

Cheers!
Like many of you, same issues here low framerate around 23 fps with stuttering and lack of sound for cut scenes on a GTX 970 which only 1% to 12% max used for these cut scenes. The several solutions with .ini and nvidia adaptative power don't change anything for me. It's broke the experience, I'll wait for a patch.
I have the same problem , pre rendered cutscenes and menu is at 18-19 fps . Tips to fix this issue that were posted above did not help. I have i7 3820 cpu and 770 4gb gpu. Since I want to experience magic that is Witcher properly ,I will hold from playing it until this issue is fixed or solution is given.
I have the same issue. Game plays great and regular cutscenes play fine (ciri jumping on posts, geralt taking a bath, scaring off Griffin). But anything pre rendered like opening cutscene, title screen, ciri cuting head off dummy, plays at 20-23 fps. None of the ini fixes work for me. It really sucks. Hope their are not a bunch of pre rendered scenes throughout the game or I'll hafta shelve this masterpiece.

I have a i7 3820 like a few others have posted. Using a gtx 970. Sounds like xbone has same issue so hopefully a fix is incoming.

Wish they didn't use any pre rendered cutscenes. The stuttering in these makes dragon age inquisition look smooth as silk.
I upgdare my bios, codecs, drivers (3 times), RAD Tools, MotherBoard drivers, NET. Framework, DirectX, nothing help.... 23 fps in menu and movies and load screen. My PC silent as ninja, GPU load 0-4%.... and only in game i have 65-71 fps on Ultra with Hairworks OFF and GPU load 99%. Damn. CD Project RED, pls hear us!
Same thing is going on with me I get around 15 fps during Pre-rendered Cut scenes & the Main Menu.the only thing that fixed it was to uninstall the latest driver from nvidia however none of the drivers that came out this year seem to stop itthe only one that did was from 2014 now its cool that it fixes the low fps during Pre-rendered Cut scenes but its a really old driverand I would prefer to use the latest one since it is optimized for Witcher 3.
nothing changed for me too and none of the workarounds is working. its quite annoying playing with mixed settings (medium/high) @60fps and whenever one of the pre-rendered cutscenes is running i drop to 19fps and my GPU is used with about 7%

i try to answer the questions CDPR was asking:

1: whenever a pre-rendered cutscene is running my frames drop from about
60 fps to 19 fps while my GPU usage is at 7-8%.

2: PC

3: i5-2500 + GTX970 (msi gameing) with newest nvidia driver, 8GB Ram, windows 7 64bit
also the newest witcher 3 patch is installed (v1.03)

4. always as soon as a pre-rendered cutscene is being played- those scenes include (so far):

the comic-like opening speech,
the title screen,
the intro movie with yennefer batteling the enemy army,
geralts vision about the wild hunt at the end of the tutorial,
every other comic-like cutscenes like the summaries after loading a saved game,
the cutscene when geralt and yennefer are being hunted by the wild hunter after finishing the first area (white orchard)

so thats as far as i got, but i bet future pre-rendered cutscenes will behave the same way..
hope this get fixed soon..its quite annoying

now take your nvidia problem somewhere else (better yet, take that nvidia and trash it).

This is not nvidia only problem:

I have the same problem with an AMD card, so it isn't just a NVIDIA driver problem.

this topic mentions nothing about menu and in-game performance, as you seem to have issues with.

I don't have any problems with in-game performance. Menu is mentioned in this thread because it seems to be relevant to cutscene problems.

and stop bolding/quoting giant walls of text. it makes you look silly.

The only thing that makes me look silly is speaking to you and proofing my statements with quotes and videos.

PrincessMassacre you're just a bad troll, a retarded or maybe you work for the CDPR support team to misinform people who have issues. Maybe 3 in same time.

It does not even bother you answer. The only thing you do it's trolling this thread, so now the only thing we have to do it's just let you die by yourself. For good.

look, i tried to help you, but obviously, you are beyond any sort of help...

seems you're content just raging at people (and then quote some junk out of context)...

suit yourself, you won't get any help from anyone... wallow in your misery.

first 2 people i hope actually get a forced refund.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

If that's what you truly think (about trying to help us) then I am really sorry for rushing on you. I really did that. Sorry.
Although your comments were beyond any sort of help. Unless you tried to tell us to "forget about this game". I am just guessing here.

Also my quotes weren't out of context even once. If you feel like pointing them to me feel free to pm me.

I already know that we won't get any help from anyone since tech support claimed that it's ok to run cutscenes at sub 24 framerates etc.
I won't get any refund even if I really want that, but I hope that at least one person reading this topic in near future will save his money and won't buy this mess.

I guess I have to try to start over with you and ask you directly:
Do you know how can I get 30 fps in pre-rendered cutscenes with my current hardware? I will be thankful for any reasonable possible solution or hint.

@me3850 , yes I tested to put physx on cpu or gpu and I had the exact same results : 23 fps in pre rendered cutscenes with lot of judder.

I think that the only thing which could help us at this state, it's a fix by CDPR.

Edit : for the gameplay itself I didn't see improvement either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom