Triss or Yen?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The games are an alternate universe and what Geralt does is based on his death/resurrection experience plus the events in the following games.

Triss absolutely tricked Geralt and is flawed because of that.

But she never interfered in finding Ciri since she only comes back in the Third Game.

The books are not an alternate universe. The books are the entire backstory and foundation.

Triss is not just "flawed". Triss is a horrible person for doing that. Imagine if you had a wife, lost your memory, and then some fling from the past manipulates you and prevents you from actually even knowing about your wife. Not only that she even steers you away from recovering your memory out of complete selfishness.

The books are not an alternate universe. The books are the entire backstory and foundation.

The books are absolutely an alternate universe because Sapkowkski has said the games are not canon. Therefore, CD Red can do whatever they want because they're writing their own take on the Witcher.

Triss is not just "flawed". Triss is a horrible person for doing that. Imagine if you had a wife, lost your memory, and then some fling from the past manipulates you and prevents you from actually even knowing about your wife. Not only that she even steers you away from recovering your memory out of complete selfishness.

I'd probably break up with her, which Geralt did. I'd also reconsider my opinion when I found her helping victims of the Magical Holocaust.

In the end, my Geralt forgave Triss.

The heart wants what it wants and my Geralt wanted Triss.

It's why he broke up with Yennefer, not any silly Djinn stuff.

I never read the book, but from what i see: Triss in the book is young, naive, hide behind the Lodge ?
I never like her in Witcher 1, but i also don't like Shani, so i romance Triss :D
Look like in Witcher 2 she start to grow up, her personality change and after 6 month she broke up with Geralt, she is completely diffirent Triss compare to Witcher 1 :D

I never read the book, but from what i see: Triss in the book is young, naive, hide behind the Lodge ?
I never like her in Witcher 1, but i also don't like Shani, so i romance Triss :D
Look like in Witcher 2 she start to grow up, her personality change and after 6 month she broke up with Geralt, she is completely diffirent Triss compare to Witcher 1 :D

Yeah, Triss has come to realize that what she's done to Geralt is wrong and is feeling heavy guilt over it. She knows Geralt is going to break up with her when he finds out but can't bring herself to break it off.

Don't take this the wrong way but, "If she felt guilt, she wouldn't have committed the crime" is a nonsensical statement.

---------- Updated at 03:58 AM ----------

The Triss of Witcher 1 is a flawed, vain, and haughty sorceress. She manipulated Geralt from behind the scenes, tries to shape him into her fantasy boyfriend, and behaves in a thoroughly reprehensible manner.

What she did is absolutely beyond the pale.

And then she changes, in large part because of Geralt.

The Triss of Witcher 2 has a character arc where she is confronted with the ABSOLUTE EVIL of the Lodge of Sorceresses. The thousands of people murdered horribly in the Pontar Valley by Sabrina, the civil wars brought about by Kings, the slavery of Saskia's minds, and worse.

As Sapkowski says, the souls of sorceresses are UGLY and the Lodge is full of the ugliest of them all.

So Triss takes a stand against her fellows and testifies against them.

Triss has a Road at Damascus moment when Geralt leaves over her decption and devotes herself to the betterment of the world and her fellow mages. She protects the innocent at considerable risk to herself even tough, as a sorceress, she can teleport away at any time.

She has become a hero because of Geralt's influence.

And that is the woman Geralt falls in love with.

I've never once stated that, "if she felt guilt she wouldn't have committed the crime". I've said that if she felt guilt for her previous crimes she would not have committed the future crimes. She would have done what was right. Instead she continues being a scumbag. And who cares if she feels sorry for it? She knows it was wrong yet she does it anyway. People like that do not deserve forgiveness.

As for Triss confessing about the lodge? That's partly done so that she can save her own skin. She didn't want to be implicated with the rest of the lodge even though she had been apart of many of their plans..( like the plot to assassinate King Esterad Thyssen, like the plot that involved forcing Ciri into a marriage with Esterad's son, which inevitably leads to the plot of making Ciri into the lodge's blackmailed baby factory. I hope you realize that the enslavement of Saskia was in no way different than what Triss and the lodge had planned for Ciri).

Triss was apart of all of that. She helped plan all of that. Triss is just as bad as Sile and Phillipa... Maybe even worse considering she does this to someone that she considers a sister. A person you're supposed to love and protect, not someone you abuse for the sake of political power. Triss doesn't realize that the lodge is bad until after she finds out that she was left out of some of their plans. Until after she realizes that the lodge has finally been caught. That's a real convenient time to have an epiphany if you ask me.

Triss saving some sorcerers and sorceresses does not redeem her. One good action does not cancel out all of the bad.

Yeah, Triss has come to realize that what she's done to Geralt is wrong and is feeling heavy guilt over it. She knows Geralt is going to break up with her when he finds out but can't bring herself to break it off.

Shame that the break up after Witcher 2 never completely explain, so we can only imagine: After Geralt fully regain his memory, He or Triss talk about time they go their way. Triss understand about Geralt's feeling and decide time for she to move on. Until Geralt arrives in Norvigad to turn her world upside down again :))

Again with the book argument...I haven't read them and I don't really care for them
These are RPG games which means having an equal choice, not being railroaded to a default path
Triss in the games isn't perfect (clearly made mistakes with taking advantage of Geralt etc.) but she is just such a sweet & caring woman
Yennefer on the other hand is just an annoying ice queen (how often do I have seen those) and treats Geralt like shit

I don't like how you are just reducing Triss ..I'm not sure about the books but she is much more in the games than some jelaous girl

Sadly it seems CDPR had the same attitude as you, they gave us a choice but the romance is done in such a half assed way (especially compared to Yen) that they are basically shouting: "Romance Yen, Geralts true love, Triss who?"

I dont want to come off as an a**, but ... how can you people not care about the books?

I am mystified. I really am. I mean, this is a universe you seem to like (your presence here speaks volumes). This is a story you are invested in.
It is logical to care.

And even failing that, since when has that become a badge of honour or pride? Not wanting to read or disliking books. I see it every day now. What is so special or even good about that?
Is it a defensive reaction against an elder art form whilst trying to justify gaming as an art form itself? Is it the failure of education systems all over the world?

I mean, even if for some strange reason I felt that way, I would never let that slip in public. The way I was raised I guess, but literature is sacred.

The way I was raised I guess, but literature is sacred.

I'm work in academia and have a Masters in English and one of the things I like to teach students is this.

"Remember, Shakespeare is not meant to be read but watched."

Literature is beautiful, wonderful, and a gift from God (or whatever deities/lack thereof you believe in). It's also just a medium for ideas and we should remember that art can come in many forms. The video games are, in my humble opinion, equal to or superior to Sapkowski's work--which is a testament to the immense amount of effort they have done.

Sapkowski has a lot to be proud of but his series has its ups and downs. So do the games.

I recommend reading the books but the games stand on their own too.

Triss saving some sorcerers and sorceresses does not redeem her. One good action does not cancel out all of the bad.

Witcher Wars Episode VI: Return of the Sorceress (Special Edition)

Philippa Eilhart: Young fool. Only now, in the end, do you understand. Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Lodge! (begins zapping Ciri)

Ciri: Sister, please!

Triss: No. NOOO!!! (picks up Eilhart and tosses her down a conveniently close pit, sacrificing herself in the process).

Triss: Ciri, you were right. You were right about me. Tell Geralt, you were right... (dies)

Some time later, Ciri watches Triss as a redeemed ghost, her one action cancelling out all the bad. The end (until Witcher Wars Episode 7).

:p

I'm work in academia and have a Masters in English and one of the things I like to teach students is this.

"Remember, Shakespeare is not meant to be read but watched."

Literature is beautiful, wonderful, and a gift from God (or whatever deities/lack thereof you believe in). It's also just a medium for ideas and we should remember that art can come in many forms. The video games are, in my humble opinion, equal to or superior to Sapkowski's work--which is a testament to the immense amount of effort they have done.

Sapkowski has a lot to be proud of but his series has its ups and downs. So do the games.

I recommend reading the books but the games stand on their own too.

That is fine and all, but I am not actually against your opinion. More against people who wear that "I wont read or havent read the books" proudly on their sleeves.

My own opinion is that W1 and W2 are great but not on the same level as Sapkowski's work. W3 is closer and may very well be... with some slight things here and there and a few continuation errors fixes (same goes for W1 and 2 though)
My "canon" OCPD just cant let me go without finding "mistakes" .

I originally was all for Triss before reading the books. After reading the books though, I fell completely in love with Yen. I like her as a character probably even more than Geralt. I actually started to dislike Triss after what happens with her in the books.

That' just me though.

My view is Triss' actions are supposed to be terrible.

But I think that adds to her allure.

Yennefer and Triss are both capable of great evil in the pursuit of those they love.

Yeah. It really just makes me livid...

And being proud of that? *Sounds of furniture breaking in the background*
I'm pretty sure it's polarization and no one actually doesn't care about the background in the books. On one side you have the people that will deny everything that happened in the books, where the other side will deny everything that happened in the games.
As far as I'm concerned they are equally annoying.

Actually the games dos not stands on their own, in all witcher games we play as Geralt, a character from the books and without reading the books we can not understand this character better, why he loves Yennefer and not Triss, why is Yennefer special to him and he always end up with her no matter what. Of course in the games you can make Geralt love Triss if you want, in fact is a good thing that dev give us the choice because i admit Yennefer is not an ordinary hollywoodian tipe of woman, and some people don't like that. Triss is a nice character even if she has some ups and downs in games and a lot in books, but for me Geralt with no Yennefer in his live is not Geralt, is something else, but again this is only my opinion everyone is free to do what they want in the game. About Yennefer being a bad person and Triss a good person that is completely wrong, both have good sides and bad sides is all a matter of taste.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's polarization and no one actually doesn't care about the background in the books. On one side you have the people that will deny everything that happened in the books, where the other side will deny everything that happened in the games.
As far as I'm concerned they are equally annoying.

Yep there's very much both extremes of denial. Personally i respect the books but think the games open up the perfectly valid alternate love avenue for Geralt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom