New better control scheme with Mouse/Keyboard in terms of Keybindings, etc.. for PC...

+
New better control scheme with Mouse/Keyboard in terms of Keybindings, etc.. for PC...

Hey All,

So figured I would start a thread in the hopes that the Devs may see this one day and maybe perhaps include this in a later patch or "enhanced edition" that they very much like to do for the witcher series.

TL ; DR version:

1) A way to interact with the environment and items with a simply left click of the mouse.
2) Casting Signs by simply pressing on whatever keybind our sign is linked too.
3) Horse movement controlled by the mouse for better movement fluidity when on it.

For more details, read on please :)

One of the things that's bother me when trying to play on the PC, is the mouse/keybind options are not as fluid as it was for Witcher 2.

For example, in Witcher 2 you could interact with Cliff ledges and anything in the world with a simply left mouse click... Now we have to use a specific keybind for that. It makes moving and trying to access the interact binding a tad annoying. Another example, Signs... In Witcher 2, you can keybind each specific sign and it would cast it on the spot. But now in 3, while you can still keybind your signs and select them, you still have to press an additional button to actually cast the sign, thus can we revert it back to the way it was in witcher 2?. Finally, there's horse back riding, it can be a bit brutal at times. Obviously there's no comparison to Witcher 2 for this, but one suggestion someone has already posted on these forums and I totally agree with, is make the movement centered around the Mouse as well. Like you will hit the sprint button, but control the moving of the horse with the mouse. It would make feeling on horse back a lot less awkward than it is now.

Also, another minor peeve why do I have to use different keybind options for when I'm on a horse? (EG: prefer to have a different keybind for sprinting while on a horse, but whatever I assign there deactivates the assignment for where it was previously) Whatever Keybinds I link there should not interfere with whatever current keybinds I have for other parts of the game. (There's similar situations with other keybinds I believe as well)

For now though I feel if you make those little changes (granted who knows how complicated this is), it can go a long way to making the mouse/keyboard a viable option than it is now I think. Yes, I also know "why not just use a controller..." Well I can, but honestly when I play on my 27 inch monitor and I find myself using a controller it just seems off and not as enjoyable for me and if I find myself using a controller might as well go over to my 55 inch TV and load up my PS4. Which is exactly what I did in my first play through as that's when I played Witcher 3 after I realized I couldn't get comfortable with the keyboard/mouse controls on the PC Version. However, that of course is a compromise too since I was dealing the framerate issues and longer loading times, plus if you think about it too inferior graphics, even though these next gen consoles are getting a tad better in that department, so I don't cringe as much when playing the console experience, heh ;).

The thing is though my PC is pretty top of the line that I can play Witcher 3 in near Max settings (minus the hairworks) that I really prefer to have my experience of Witcher 3 on the PC to see the beautiful graphics of this game in action, thus I really would like to see some improvements to the mouse/keyboard scheme since CDProjects seem to be one of the rarer developers that do take fan feedback. If others have suggestions to the keyboard/mouse scheme please post em here since to me, it seems they just went backwards with the control feel of Witcher 3 compared to how it was for Witcher 2.

thanks! :)

Last edited:
I would prefer they did NOT change the current set up for signs. I prefer to cast a sign, like Quen as I enter combat, and then maybe queue up something else to be ready, but not cast it yet.

The current mkb setup is simple enough - hit a button OR scroll with your mouse wheel to the one you want. Hit Q (or whatever other button you would like to bind it to) to cast. If you want, it would be simple enough to create a macro to simulate 2 keystrokes like 8 and Q to accomplish selecting the sign and casting it with 1 button.

I am pretty happy with the PC controls. There are certainly some issues like trying to get in the proper position to loot a corpse or light a candle, but those annoyances are not unique to the mkb - it is the same with controllers.

I don't have any problem either with mkb control, the default button for everything works fine for me.

I don't have any problem either with mkb control, the default button for everything works fine for me.

not if your a lefty, hence why I always have to be creative with my keybindings... But the way I see it, I got it to work for Witcher 2 with what the Devs offered there, so there's no reason we can't get it to work similarly for Witcher 3.

As for that mod, defiantly interesting I'll check it out , thanks!

Last edited:
not if your a lefty, hence why I always have to be creative with my keybindings... But the way I see it, I got it to work for Witcher 2 with what the Devs offered there, so there's no reason we can't get it to work similarly for Witcher 3.

As for that mod, defiantly interesting I'll check it out , thanks!

Does a lefty use mouse in left hand and keyboard in right hand ? Then right click becomes left click and left click becomes right click if using righty mouse put in left hand, the keyboard for lefty should be a poiuyt keyboard then ? Can't be as simple as using a lefty mkb ?

Well, i'm using Xpadder to emulate my keyboard/mouse on my pad.
This shoud be narrow to a lot of people but at last i'll try to explain what is my purpose and it could be the best for some people:

First i have to disable the pad with x360ce so that the game doesn't recognize it cause i specialy don't want to play with the pad scheme.

Then Xpadder ( one the best soft for gamer out there) will emulate my keyboard/mouse on my pad.

Maybe i'll stop there cause i may do the video i always wanted to do for explaining why Xpadder is the best thing around gaming for me.
Xpadder has no limits on remapping.

Hey All,

So figured I would start a thread in the hopes that the Devs may see this one day and maybe perhaps include this in a later patch or "enhanced edition" that they very much like to do for the witcher series.

TL ; DR version:

1) A way to interact with the environment and items with a simply left click of the mouse.
2) Casting Signs by simply pressing on whatever keybind our sign is linked too.
3) Horse movement controlled by the mouse for better movement fluidity when on it.

thanks! :)

1. No. This for a rpg like this one would make it worse.
2. No. Unless they allow us to toggle it on or off
3. You already control horse steering with the mouse. the rest. No. there is no need for it. shift to run. double shift to sprint. it ain't hard.

Does a lefty use mouse in left hand and keyboard in right hand ? Then right click becomes left click and left click becomes right click if using righty mouse put in left hand, the keyboard for lefty should be a poiuyt keyboard then ? Can't be as simple as using a lefty mkb ?

nah not as complicated like that, lol... Simply put my mouse is on the Left Side of the keyboard, which means I have more access to the right side of the keyboard than the left side of keyboard which is what most righties use.

That's why the keybind options there help a bit for lefties but there's still some things I wouldn't mind seeing for an even smoother gameplay because most of all it was in their last game. Can we also 100% confirm you can steer with the mouse on horseback? As I've tried it and still seems I have to use the arrow keys to really move around, guess I have to look more closely at that when I play tonight.

nah not as complicated like that, lol... Simply put my mouse is on the Left Side of the keyboard, which means I have more access to the right side of the keyboard than the left side of keyboard which is what most righties use.

That's why the keybind options there help a bit for lefties but there's still some things I wouldn't mind seeing for an even smoother gameplay because most of all it was in their last game. Can we also 100% confirm you can steer with the mouse on horseback? As I've tried it and still seems I have to use the arrow keys to really move around, guess I have to look more closely at that when I play tonight.

Ah I see, definitely needs keybinds for that.
Using mouse works too for steering horse, I usually use mouse when horse racing, it's more precise.

Well i won't make a video, tried to find a way to put xpadder on top and find pretty nothing working...

Tuco

Forum veteran
I was one of these persons who find TW2 IMMENSELY better with M&KB despise a lot of people claiming otherwise, but frankly I genuinely feel like TW3 plays A LOT better with a controller, during combat especially.

I only changed Strong attack to Right mouse button, Witcher senses to V and I have no problems with the M+K controls.. they are far better in this game than gamepad controls.. using double tapping the move keys to dodge, thats fantastic :).. and I like the way the signs work as they do now - I always choose a sign before going to a fight, so it would be annyoing that Geralt would automatically cast that sign right away before the fight - but I can see why this system now is annyoing for people who play differently than me

One thing I don't like is having to press Esc to back out of different things. I couldn't find a way to make a key act like the circle or B button on a controller. I ended up making the 5th button on my mouse act like the Esc key.

Also when looting things, sometimes I accidently move my mouse off the selections so that I cant quickly loot. Have to move the mouse cursor back on an item in order to loot anything. It is just annoying when I am trying to loot a bunch of things quickly. Should probably make it so that an item is always highlighted even if the mouse cursor isn't directly on something.

the controls are fine on kb and mouse. yes the default was a little weird but remapping it made it worked just fine. steering horse with mouse? don't see myself liking that lol. but thats a personal preference. i have to agree with you on the signs part tho ts, its like cdpr was catering to the console controls for signs...

my only gripe with the kb and mouse is geralt is too sensitive when walking around... and also maybe the jump key needs to be tweaked... tap for hop, and hold for jump.

Being able to use the jump key in combat would be nice, as you can bind roll, dodge and jump to 3 separate buttons, but you cant use jump in combat.

I've made a couple of control tweaks in the game, setting a strong attack to the right mouse button and Witcher senses to 'V.' Personally, I find the mouse and keyboard controls to be much more comfortable than using a gamepad. The double-tap movement keys for dodging are a real game-changer for me. I also appreciate how the signs work now – I can choose a sign before a fight without Geralt automatically casting it. However, I can understand why this system might be frustrating for players with a different playstyle.

Top Bottom