POLL- DIRECTX 12.1 support ? Can we have it?

+

• Total voters

If you'd like to have DX12.1 compatibility on Wticher 3 please vote.

Will this fantastic game have dx12.1 support by the end of next month? In theory it could boost performance pretty well and most people already have 12.1 or 12.0 hardware. CAn CDPR say anything about this?

I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this. i'm really looking forward to upgrade to win 10 and it would be nice if our favorite games could benefit from it.

Last edited:
Funny thing, DX11 hardware is already enough for it since it's a software change and not a hardware one.

I'd like to see it. Doubt it will happen though as I expect it would take a fair bit of work and there would be little to no return for it, never mind in time for Windows 10. I would in all honesty rather see the time spent fixing problems people are having with the game at this stage :)

Had to choose "no, I don't care" but I do care. I care for it not going dx12. I don't see enough reasons for that extra work. Also like sidspyker said, Windows with dx12 is still not ready.

Last edited:
Honestly i don't see the reason. As long as it's on DX11 it's more then enough. The rest are fine tweeks and bug fixes to improve stability and visuals.

The only way i would want DX12 and up is if they do a remastered version of the game as they traditionally did in the past. For the sake of graphics vs "cost" i will be expecting DX12 and up for that.

For this version DX11 is good.

@MomoSinX from the info i have about DX12 it's not "just" software. That directx is supposed to eliminate the necessary "third GPU" from SLI systems, making Dual-Boards a viable option. Right now if you actually want to see the difference in gaming through SLI you NEED to have 3 GPUs not 2...because of how the GPU memory is accessed or something like that. There are tons of threads on why 2xGPU is almost useless.

So yes DX12 does more then just a few minor things and some xbox-pc interconnection thing. It's supposed to make high performance viable at lower costs excluding for example the third GPU.

Last edited:
well it can wait. i'd rather have the REDkit 2 out as soon as possible. i want to make geralt ride a flying unicorn that shoots rainbow out of its arse.

I'm not a programmer but I was under the impression the entire game engine would have to be rebuilt to support DX 12?

I'm not a programmer but I was under the impression the entire game engine would have to be rebuilt to support DX 12?

When addressing the "graphics downgrade" they said they removed some effects because they only ran efficiently with DX12, so it wouldn't seem so. But I'm no expert either.

Last edited:
Had to choose "no, I don't care" but I do care. I care for it not going dx12. I don't see enough reasons for that extra work. Also like sidspyker said, Windows with dx12 is still not ready.

Its the other way around. IT IS READY and Windows 10 with DX12 is already getting released July 29th 2015.

Maybe its the game that needs optimizations but i still think, going by the 45 minute long video i watched and another 46 minute long video i saw where Microsoft showed up how DX12 works in terms of how much more access you have on the GPU and how much more performance you actually can get out compared to DX11 i think Witcher 3 will be one of those games that seriously WILL benifit alot from DX12, if they chose to do it.

But right now, i own a GTX 780 TwinFrozr, heavily overclocked and it runs the game just fine above 60 FPS. But sometimes, while i play i have for example 100 fps outside. If i just look to the right or let i lose a whopping 30 fps. That just seem weird to me. All that is in my head right now is that the GPU's with DX11 cant handle the draw calls that effiecently as DX12 does and thats one of the reasons i believe Witcher 3 will benefit greatly from. But thats just how i see it.

Before you make any assumptions or just simply want to answer towards what ive said, please check these videos first before you do so.

direct3d 12 power & performance: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GDC/GDC-2015/Better-Power-Better-Performance-Your-Game-on-DirectX12

BUILD 2015: The Final DIRECTX 12 Reveal: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/BUILD-2015-Final-DirectX-12-Reveal

And there is no "DX 12.1". Only DX 12 for the moment. If Witcher was remade with DX 12.1 i think we would need new GPU's because the ones that already exists only supports DX12(unless cards like GTX 970 having DX 11.2 can ahve DX 12.1 etc) and people would not be able to afford it.

How about we actually have a fully functional RTM OS that supports it first.

We will have it at the end of next month. I made the topic in hope of showing the devs that everyone is total hyped for DX12 so maybe they would think about it if it's possible to implement. Honestly i think it wouldn't hurt to have a +15 fps average fps boost( i just threw a random number here) . And actually seeing that a lot of people already has 12.0 or 12.1 compatible hardware i think it's a viable topic to talk about.
There are tons of people out there with 900 series gpus which are all 12.1 feature level if i'm not mistaken.
Btw it's good to see the poll results, it seem at the moment more than 80% of the votes would want it.
It1d be rly nice to hear CDPRis answer to this matter :)

We will have it at the end of next month. I made the topic in hope of showing the devs that everyone is total hyped for DX12 so maybe they would think about it if it's possible to implement. Honestly i think it wouldn't hurt to have a +15 fps average fps boost( i just threw a random number here) . And actually seeing that a lot of people already has 12.0 or 12.1 compatible hardware i think it's a viable topic to talk about.
There are tons of people out there with 900 series gpus which are all 12.1 feature level if i'm not mistaken.
Btw it's good to see the poll results, it seem at the moment more than 80% of the votes would want it.
It1d be rly nice to hear CDPRis answer to this matter :)

+10-15 fps would be awesome along my current 15 LOL. So yeah, in my case it would make the game playable. I wouldn't mind waiting a few months if they implement it since I can't afford a better rig atm.

we'll see. if lots ofpeople vote it will catch attention hopefully. Btw I was thinking if they was working with nvidia from the start they probably had dx12 in mind especially that they also use 980s on their own pcs so i would be surprised if they didn't...
And honestly performance is always a main aspect. I guess no gamer would refuse it.

witcher 3 will be getting a dx 12 patch in the future i believe
Makes no sense not to include it with the build. But ffs people, you need an OS and GPU to compatible so that it can be enabled. We're talking at least a year or two at least just for the hardcore crowd get their hands on it unless you've got the $$$ to blow it on a GPU.

You might want to give this a read: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/directx-12/

"NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all the DX11-class GPUs it has shipped; these belong to the Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell architectural families. With more than 50% market share (65% for discrete graphics) among DX11-based gaming systems, NVIDIA alone will provide game developers the majority of the potential installed base. - See more at: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/directx-12/"

NVIDIA DX11 GPU + Windows 10 (Next month) = Supports DX12.

---

Some features will require new graphics hardware however, yes.

Last edited:
I'd like to see it. Doubt it will happen though as I expect it would take a fair bit of work and there would be little to no return for it, never mind in time for Windows 10. I would in all honesty rather see the time spent fixing problems people are having with the game at this stage :)

Clearly you need to read up on the possibilities with DirectX 12. It will not be "little" return.

Clearly you need to read up on the possibilities with DirectX 12. It will not be "little" return.
Financial return. Why would a company spend all that money rewriting portions of the game to take advantage of DX12 when they would in all likelihood see no additional revenue, or at best a partial return of the cost taken to do so, over those sales that would normally be expected without the additional expenditure? It's not simply a case of could it be done, but should it for he benefit of the company, as well as, the gamers.
For the gamers yes it would be a nice improvement but, especially currently, they have far bigger and more important issues to address with the game. Like having it in a decent working order for as many as possible.
The game would also have to be rewritten in order to allow the multiple thread benefit which is one of the main benefits of DX12. As those before did when DX9 was replaced. That even assumes it is even feasible to do so with the game as it currently stands, which may, or may not, be the case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom