Cat school vs bear school

+
Cat school vs bear school

Just wondering I've been trying both out and cant seem to decided which 1 is better

Im currently favouring bear school as damage mitigation seems pretty low overall in this game and i have a tendency to end up in a pile of enemies. I also use a high adrenaline generation build so casting signs due to stamina does not seem to be an issue. Running a mostly melee build with igni improvements cuz well flamethrower

Anyone tried both which 1 ends up better

the cat school armor is light armor that is why I am using it. there is a perk in the utility tree that increases fast attack damage when wearing light armor and if your build is around fast attack damage then the cat is probably the best.

there is a perk in the utility tree that increases fast attack damage when wearing light armor

There is also a perk for medium and heavy, so that's not exactly a plus for one or another.

The feline set is rather for raw damage, while the ursine set is rather for more protection, but if you can't make out much differences, just wear the set you like more.

Cat (or Feline) will play to more a very heavy combat, you'll use it with special attacks more likely than with Signs (Whirl and Rend). The Bear (or Ursine) gear will play to your build very nicely with the improved HP and the Adrenaline gain.

Griffin (med) is for sign builds. Cat for fast attacks and good proccing builds (bleed + poison blades works wonders on this build) Ursine is good for healthy tanky builds and those wanting to focus on heavy attacks (hard to pull off, trying to find a build with the focus on heavy: this may work depending on how well Flood of Anger and Counter Attack work: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/s...|10xgeneral_3_3|11xgeneral_3_4|12xgeneral_2_5

You build adrenaline, Parry an attack to get massive counter attack bonus, use a flood of anger charged axii to hold them in place then charge up a massive heavy attack. If it works/stacks properly could be hella fun. Will test.

Last edited:

luc0s

Forum veteran
Bear works well if you want to make a pure-melee spec with lesser use of signs and potions.

Cat is best suited for alchemy builds I feel.

If you want to play a sign-focused build I'd either choose Cat or Griffin. Cat gives you faster stamina regen meaning you can cast signs more often, but Griffin increases your sign intensity and also has a very decent stamina regen speed if you distribute your points properly.

Another option would be taking that perk that allows you to cast signs from adrinaline points, that way it doesn't really matter which gear you take.

Last edited:
I prefer Cay. But you can choose whatever you want. Roll with Bear swords though. Cat swords are pretty worthless by comparison.

I am yet to try either, but the way I see it for now is that Cat school with bleed + poison + crits would absolutely wreck everything. This is the only build that can be useful for ALL enemies. Signs and Igni build doesn't work against enemies immune to fire, while heavy attack build may struggle against quick enemies.
Having said that, Bear School can use adrenaline points for using Signs, which might help for crowd control. It also has the option of using Rend that is the strongest physical damage dealing ability. If coupled with some decoctions, both of these have a lot of potential.

If you want to play a sign-focused build I'd either choose Cat or Griffin. Cat gives you faster stamina regen meaning you can cast signs more often, but Griffin increases your sign intensity and also has a very decent stamina regen speed if you distribute your points properly.

Griffin has a much higher stamina regen than Cat.

luc0s

Forum veteran
Griffin has a much higher stamina regen than Cat.

No it doesn't. Cat is light armor and Griffin is medium armor. Light gives a bonus to stamina regen. Medium doesn't.

Light armor gives a bonus to armor and stamina regen.
Medium gives a bigger bonus to armor and no bonus to stamina regen.
Heavy gives an even bigger bonus to armor and a penalty to stamina regen.

---------- Updated at 03:04 AM ----------

This is what I'm using right now by the way:

My Build (for some reason it doesn't show the last 3 slots, which are Tissue Transmutation, Synergy and Metabolic Control)

Seems to be pretty good. Delusion really is a waste of a slot from a combat perspective, but I love the Jedi talk-jutsu mind tricks too much to pass up. On the other hand, it does help getting my Sign intensity over 75%, which means I can use Melt Armor to it's maximum potential.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. Cat is light armor and Griffin is medium armor. Light gives a bonus to stamina regen. Medium doesn't.

Light armor gives a bonus to armor and stamina regen.
Medium gives a bigger bonus to armor and no bonus to stamina regen.
Heavy gives an even bigger bonus to armor and a penalty to stamina regen.

Test it out and see the difference yourself. Make sure to equip Griffin School ability when you put on medium gear. The percentages are added differently between them. I made a thread about this a while back.

@luc0s If you're going to compare two witcher armors, you should at least make them similar in level instead of comparing a level 26 armor to a level 1. Comparing the superior feline armor to the superior griffin armor would be the closest comparison:

So you can see, light armor does still offer quicker stamina regeneration, but medium offer offers higher sign intensity to increase the power of whatever signs you use. I have yet to test it out, but I'm pretty sure the the general ability "Griffin School Techniques" puts the medium armor almost on par with light armor in stamina regeneration. So there's more to it than just "Medium-weight gear. Increases armor." :p

Attachments

• Witcher_3_Superior_Feline_Cat_School_Gear_Statistics.jpg
    Witcher_3_Superior_Feline_Cat_School_Gear_Statistics.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 834
  • superior-griffin-set.jpg
    superior-griffin-set.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 1,216
Last edited:
I have yet to test it out, but I'm pretty sure the the general ability "Griffin School Techniques" puts the medium armor almost on par with light armor in stamina regeneration. So there's more to it than just "Medium-weight gear. Increases armor." :p

Griffin will end up about twice higher in Stamina Regen compared to Cat.

Top Bottom