TW3 vs DA:I [SPOILERS]

+
TW3 vs DA:I [SPOILERS]

Both franchises went open world with their third installment

So for people who played both, which one succeeded? Which game is better?
No Bioware vs CDPR wars please lets talk about the games

Honestly after playing TW3 I doubt I can ever go back to DA:I, the latter feels so lackluster and medicore compared to TW3
I wasn't as disappointed with DA:I (when I played it for the first time) as I'm now (after playing TW3)

Anyway my comparison:

What DA:I did better:
Save Import and Cameos (TW3 failed here imho, our TW2 choices sadly meant nothing)
Not as standalone as TW3 (TW3 is too simplified for newcomers, DA:I had better continuity)

What TW3 does better:
Story (DA:I was just your typical saving the world cliche story)
Side Quests (especially these were just lazily done in DA:I, its like they didn't even try, go fetch me my ring powerful Inquisitor!)

Protagonist (Inquisitor is just boring, Geralt is awesome)
Female characters (Triss, Ciri and Yen just own Cassandra, Sera and Vivienne)
Open world (DA:I's areas are just lifeless whereas TW3's areas have an incredible atmosphere)
Combat (just way more fun here)

I think both failed in terms of villians (Corypheus and Wild Hunt were kind of generic)
Overall TW3 is clearly the better game, CDPR put a lot effort and "heart" into it

Bioware just got lazy while developing DA:I (damm those side/fetch quests) and tried to appease everyone and in the end we just a very medicore (not bad just very meh) game

Last edited:
TW3 wins hands down , i dont agree in regards to Cassandra though, she is one of the best female characters i have seen in a while.

The Witcher 3 has better characters.

Dragon Age: Inquisition has better pacing, politics, and romances.

Tough call.

Even with your warning, I think this thread risks ending badly but here goes:

Which succeeded? Well, both.
DAI critical and financial success, with 134 GOTY's.
TW3 critical and financial success, best sales of 2015 so far.

Which is better? Tricky question as they are different games.
Both do some things really well and both have their flaws.

Graphically, DAI has more world variety, but when TW3 has a great vista, it really does.
DAI has suffered with the loss of cut scenes impacting on side quests, which TW3 does really well.
I prefer DAi's combat which is much smoother, and of course DAI has an entertaining multiplayer which TW3 doesn't have.
DAI still has wonderful companion interactions, but Geralt is also interesting and dryly moving.

Clearly, this is the Witcher forum, so I would expect a preference for TW3 here.
But I'd struggle to declare an absolute winner, if there was such a thing.
There are few enough good RPGs out there, I'm going to enjoy them all.

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 has better characters.

Dragon Age: Inquisition has better pacing, politics, and romances.

Tough call.

Both suffer in pacing but I think that DA:I is worse because of the power system and uninteresting side/fetch quests

DA:I had more equal and fulfilling romances (CDPR went a bit lazy in that department especially with Triss) but the LI's were not the best in my opinion (Cassandra and Josephine for me as a straight male were underwhelming after the likes of Leliana and Morrigan)

And they both suck in politics, how was DA:I better?

Definitely The Witcher 3. Dragon Age is too childish for me, too colourful, too "fantasy" and has too much of social justice in it. I also don't like Dragon Age's characters, especially not the female ones.
Witcher 3 had like the best story I have ever experienced in my whole life. Also, it has Triss. <3

Also like Witcher's kind of combat a lot more.

Also think it's more beautiful. The whole design is just fantastic. I love this realistic European medieval stuff and all that Slavic mythology. Dragon Age is too American for me if that makes any sense lol.

Last edited:
I though DAI was a decent game, but not many characters were appealing to me, side quests became tedious after a while and the main story was predictable and cliche. TW3 is on a whole different level, for me it is superior in every single way. Better story, characters, world, atmosphere, combat.... In a way they are very similar type of RPG, but honestly there isn't one thing I think DAI did better. I am not saying that DAI is bad, there are much worse games out there, but TW3 is an absolute masterpiece and beats it to a pulp.

The romance part is highly debatable seing as a straight guy all i can get is a friggin NUN basicly ended that kind of fun for me in DA:I

Josie in DAI is adorable and Cassandra can be quite raunchy.
If you roll as a female character, Sera is very saucy.
TW3 is quite limited, and indeed quite repetitive in this department.
Neither game is a banging simulator, though I'm sure the internet can otherwise meet your needs.

Dragon Age ... has too much of social justice in it.

Odd thing to say, the suppression of the Elves seems extremely unjust to me.
Nor does the mage/templar conflict indicate very much harmony.
Not sure what game you've been playing here? It's not the darkest game, but hardly the light game you imply.

Last edited:

Tuco

Forum veteran
Not to act as a TW3 fanboy (and whoever crossed me on this board could be aware I had a lot to complain about some of its design issues), but I don't think they are even competing in the same league.

I mean, I think a lot of TW3, but I would struggle to take DA:I seriously even against far less popular titles which have a far better core design.
Hell, I think the recent, very low budget entry in the Might & magic series, M&M X, shits over DA:I from a great height.
Same goes for other recent titles like Pillars of Eternity or (even better) Divinity Original Sin. All games made with a fraction of its budget,

I love the writing in w3, Geralt like being all sarcastic about killing were bubs made me laugh, or hands up lol and how he always gets pulled into stuff, da tries catering to homosexuals to much at the expense of it being ridicules and not real, seriously everyone you come across in dragon age wants to bum you silly

Neither game is a banging simulator, though I'm sure the internet can otherwise meet your needs.

First those are your opinions i wrote mine, second i am really wondering how you managed to get the idea that i am asking a banging simulator. And last i am quite happy with what i got in Witcher might be nice to have more triss content(Not banging) but still far better than DA:I for me.

Odd thing to say, the suppression of the Elves seems extremely unjust to me.
Nor does the mage/templar conflict indicate very much harmony.
Not sure what game you've been playing here? It's not the darkest game, but hardly the light game you imply.

Its definitely a very light game (DA:O was much darker), it has some dark themes but never deals with them
The suppresion of Elves is never showed in DA:I just mentioned here and there

The Mage Templar conflict is also pretty tame, you never see it (Blood Mages going desperate for an example etc.) and its all resolved fairly quickly and easily

Demons are pouring out of the sky (apparently)...and you just go around exploring the beautiful countryside
There is almost never a sense of danger

Last edited:
it boggles my mind how anyone can compare DA:I, a bland and boring single player MMORPG with TONS of grinding and an unengaging quests (yes even the main quests, which about 1/4 are freaking interactive cut scenes), with the witcher 3.
TW3 >>>>>>>>> DA:I

case closed.

To be a truly GREAT game I think Dragon Age Inquistion needed fewer zones, and more choices like the Templar-Mage choice. The Grey Warden and Orlesian Empire choices sorta half-assed it I thought.

I'm in agreement with others who said The Witcher 3 succeeds where Dragon Age Inquistion failed in terms of writing and side-quests.

DA: I destroys W3 in terms of decisions in previous games having an impact with DA Keep system. As the conclusion of trilogy, not including two main characters at all in W3 (Iorveth & Saskia) is really inexcusable. I can't believe there are some people who try to defend this by saying they might appear in DLC. You shouldn't have to buy DLC to "maybe" find out the fate of two major characters. Anyone still interested in Yaevinn or Siegfried from W1? I'd like to find out about them. In terms of gameplay, W3 is a much better game the DA:I. Although DAI has multiple class and skill trees, if you assemble a balanced party (Mage, Thief, Sword and Shield, and Two-handed) you can win almost any battle with not preparation needed. Witcher 3 requires much more investigation and preparation for difficult contracts i.e. oils, potions, bombs. Witcher 3 crafting system is 10x better then DAI, you can assemble and dissemble almost every inventory item in the game into something new. Main Story: It depends on preference here, I like the W3 more personal story better then DAI, but some people might like the apocalyptic nature of DAI. Side Quests: W3 hands down. In almost every category I would go with the W3, but for the nonclosure of key character arcs i have to say its closer then many might think DAI: 8/10 W3: 8.5/10(subject to reevaluation at a later date)

Top Bottom