Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why blame the developers? They don't have much say in what happens with a game. Publishers are the ones in charge of a game these days.
Pardon me for butting in but..

I think the rest of your message falls apart.

Last edited:
Don't confuse the cinematic lighting with the cinematic profile -- the profile is clearly designed to maximise visuals and performance, hence the reduced draw distance. CDPR could very easily add this lighting back to the game, and do a far better job than us hacking around with the cinematic profile. If they in anyway love their game, they will add this back for PC users rather than let us try fit a square peg into a round hole using the cinematic profile in the main game.

It's not buggy, it's just designed for cutscenes, where it works perfectly. Square peg round hole. Again, CDPR could add this lighting to the main game with whatever performance hit this brings and let PC users decide for themselves how good they want their game to look and how well it runs.

And from this perspective, yes CDPR does deserve all the 'bad words' as you put it. They flat out said there was no downgrade, that the previously demonstrated footage was not tenable. This is patently false, revealed more so now thanks to your discovery. There is one, and only one, path CDPR can redeem themselves now: add this back in the game for PC users. If they don't do this, for me personally, I won't ever be purchasing their games again, not Cyperpunk or anything that comes after.

Whether console parity, or development timeframes and budget, CDPR fucked up. Vote with your wallets. It is, in the end, the only feedback companies listen to.

its not a profile, its a container setting that you can place in a sub weather profile or preset wich itself is a sub settings for a complete zone , they have *.env as extension, they contain a lot of lighting settings, while we cant edit them atm without the redkit, you can open them with notepad++ and see some settings in there

but its not meant to be used for normal gameplay, thats why they dont deserve slack for this, you can blame them for downgrade or whatever thats your opinion, but not for this, its faux problem

and you can complains as much as you want about the downgrade, matter of fact, if CDPR didnt make this game, no one would have been able to do it, it dosnt matter at who you want throw your money to, no other company would take the risks they took, and from all the game i played i rarely could feel so much connected to the world as in W3, it dosnt matter in what form or level of graphics the final product is, they worked their ass for years , they deserve more respect

Last edited:
Yet Final Fantasy 7 all those years ago with the most hilarious blocky models and seriously deformed arms, is so much more beloved and highly regarded than even the most fanciest of FF games we have today.

Sorry just a quick point.. FF7 was the first rpg of that scale and type to get 3d graphics at all. Especially the prerendered cutscenes.. The graphics in ff7 were amazing as an early ps1 title. Noone had done that before.

And also, just like some people like strong colors, and some people like realistic, some people like full sugar soft drinks and some people like diet, some people find graphics a very important part of the experience.

Could be age thing too.. if you were playing games in the mid late 90's.. 3d graphics just had just become accessible, and therefore common enough for games to start supporting it. Because it was so new.. graphics in games was advancing at an amazing rate. It was part of gaming, developers and players kinda expected better graphics with the next game. That's how it worked. Graphics... well was.. part of the experience.

3 things then happened: Graphics got advanced enough to get to the point where making a decent game got expensive. Second, somehow, because of these online and constant firmware updates, it became harder and harder to pirate (in past, all you had to do was take your console to a dodgy shop often in an industrial area somewhere, they would open it up, solder a chip in and pirate away! Not anymore with online consoles). The 3rd thing that happened was video games went from something that only nerds did to something mainstreamers did.

And all we talk about is downgrades and hype selling preorders. Its the mainstreamers i tell ya. When games were a nieche it was more of an art than a entertainment industry. Happens.

And from this perspective, yes CDPR does deserve all the 'bad words' as you put it. They flat out said there was no downgrade, that the previously demonstrated footage was not tenable.

Just to be totally clear.. before the game was launched, they said no downgrade, they even asserted what we was seeing was youtube video encoding.

After launch however, they did certainly admit to a downgrade. Find the eurogamer article with official interviews. They didn't say the words directly, but at the same time, they did not deny it AND they provided the reasons why they did it. That's admission. Its fact.

I'm angry about the gwent cards personally. Why do people buy physical collectors? Because of the pieces of junk inside. If you just wanted to play and throw away the box, you can get it from gog, steam, or borrow it off a friend as there is no drm. That's not why people buy physical collectors editions, such an obvious screw the players thats such a complete opposite to the high reputation cdpr of witcher 2.

The graphics in game are pretty amazing though, once you have a sweetfx profile to make it look how you want it. I understand if people aren't happy with the vanilla profile or any of the sweetfx profiles, learn sweetfx and make something you like for yourself.. base it on the closest one you have and fix it.

The atmosphere in this game is unbelievable. CDPR have no purchases from me in the forseeable future, but don't let anything like that take away from what we've got, in game its undeniable (again, once you have the existing graphics to your liking).

While I definitely agree that there could be more graphical options/enhancement, I am absolutely loving this game. Also, I took this screenshot last night while playing. No mods. No tweaks. Just a glorious sunset in 4K..

So, can we stop some of the bashing please? CDPR will make more patches, options, tweaks in the end. They've always made it right in the end. Also, if you actually spend a few hours playing the game, it's one the most intriguing, massive and full realized open worlds EVER. Cut them a little slack.

CDPR doesn't need to "redeem" themselves. TW3 is a great game. I am having a blast playing it. Not stressing because it doesn't look exactly like some two year old tech demo. It looks fantastic, as is. It is easily one of the, if not the best looking, game out there.
Never said it wasn't a great game. But beyond everything else that's already been said, we've been told these effects weren't in the game anymore. That's now proven to be false, as we've discovered, at least with regards to lighting. Now, maybe you don't mind being misled time again, but if you don't stand up for something nothing will change. That's what I'm doing here.

There's nothing wrong with holding companies -- just as you do with people -- accountable for what they say and what they demonstrate. If you don't, the end result is more of the same. As the author noted in the piece I posted about pre-ordering, it becomes toxic. And no, CDPR is not clear of this. You can love the game and still be disappointed in CDPR as a company. I won't apologise for being disappointed in being shown one thing, but delivered another. It's not a non-issue Zanderat, and if sweep it under the rug then nothing will change.

I don't want to derail the thread. The initial post you're responding to was a flow on from pointing out the cinematic lighting has limitations like view distance precisely because it's a profile (or 'environment') designed for cutscenes, but there's absolutely nothing stopping CDPR releasing the lighting mode (sans the other env parameters like view distance) in a future update. And doing so would certainly go a long way to placate those PC users who fell in love with the game's original vision -- a vision in CDPR's own words that it wanted to do but had to tone down when it realised that next-gen consoles weren't quite as next-gen as they had hoped.

The followup feedback I have on this issue is the optimization is very poor. I have a GTX 980 Ti overclocked to 1490 on core and I still only get 30-40FPS at 4k and I am not even on Ultra/maxed setting. The ONLY other game that performs this poor at 4k is Crysis 3 and well, that's Crysis 3... :)

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to explain.
A fake is still better then no effect at all though, at least in my opinion.

My E3 preset uses it:
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3817/

So it is not that I don't know that something is always better than nothing, but, if you will test that preset, you will see by yourself that the result is not the same (and it cannot be the same). It is, at last imo, anyway better than vanilla (and sometimes adding these type of effects with an injector does more bad than good) but sadly it is not as the real thing.

No what ? you keep the "secret" of thoses parameter till someone else find them.. because... !? What the point of doing that ?
I'am a bit curious. ;)
( especialy if you have hard time to manage them correctly and be able to release a complet mod. Other could help on that )

-sighs- he already shared in previous pages. just take your time to look for it and you'll find it. he said "no" because he just doesn't feel like repeating himself over and over.

now that's out of the way, new breakthroughs in graphics tweaking/modding ! just check the "A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version.
(http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-PC-version/page49)
heavy stuff that would interrest many of you, so keep yours eyes peeled ;)

sweetfx and reshade isnt enough to fix the bad lightning in some place, because once you apply the filter it certain places will look better while other places will look worse

---------- Updated at 04:43 PM ----------

places like velen are way too saturated during day time, however using a filter to desatured the colors, will desatured the entire game even on place where the colors are fine. Therefore, sweetfx and reshade arent a good enough solution to fix this problem

places like velen are way too saturated during day time, however using a filter to desatured the colors, will desatured the entire game even on place where the colors are fine. Therefore, sweetfx and reshade arent a good enough solution to fix this problem

Not all presets change the saturation in the game, it depends. The E3 one mentioned above, for example, doesn't, while another one I made, the medieval one, yes. Having said this, as I repeat, injectors cannot change the lightning in the game, so what you can do with them is very limited in this instance (e.g. you cannot certainly recreate full ambient lightning as in the previous shots or sample video).

Last edited:
Not all presets change the saturation in the game, it depends. The E3 one mentioned above, for example, doesn't, while another one I made, the medieval one, yes. Having said this, as I repeat, injectors cannot change the lightning in the game, so what you can do with them is very limited in this instance (e.g. you cannot certainly recreate full ambient lightning as in the previous shots or sample video).
that was what I meant, sweetfx and reshade are nothing more than basic color correction filters with a few minor other things. Also its not a real solution since the filter ruins other parts of the game where the color are already good enough.

It basically improve the look of one location and fucks up the look of another location

I have a real hard time finding a balanced reshade preset, I also tried to tweak my own, but it ends up looking like shit

Last edited:
that was what I meant, sweetfx and reshade are nothing more than basic color correction filters with a few minor other things. Also its not a real solution since the filter ruins other parts of the game where the color are already good enough.

It basically improve the look of one location and fucks up the look of another location

I have a real hard time finding a balanced reshade preset, I also tried to tweak my own, but it ends up looking like shit
It's one thing to say it can't supplant the lighting system but another to say it's simple or that you can't objectively improve what was given to us. You definitely can improve the game with a variety of subtle tweaks and it does far more than basic correction filters. It offers tonemapping, depth access, AA, and even things like motion blur. You can do a lot with it, you just can't completely fix the lighting in this game. Use tonemap, levels, sharpening, aa, and lift gamma to balance and work your way from there.

It's one thing to say it can't supplant the lighting system but another to say it's simple or that you can't objectively improve what was given to us. You definitely can improve the game with a variety of subtle tweaks and it does far more than basic correction filters. It offers tonemapping, depth access, AA, and even things like motion blur. You can do a lot with it, you just can't completely fix the lighting in this game. Use tonemap, levels, sharpening, aa, and lift gamma to balance and work your way from there.
there are so many different weather conditions ingame which makes it impossible to create a somewhat balanced sweetfx present.

there are so many different weather conditions ingame which makes it impossible to create a somewhat balanced sweetfx present.
That's really just an opinion no matter how you look at it but no, the shaders I mentioned are just boosts to what exists. It's nonsensical to choose to use the vanilla graphics over sweetfx if only for just AA let alone the other subtle enhancements.

Every sweetfx preset I tried made the game worse. It looks best vanilla, even better with proper lighting engine.

The witcher is actually quite a grim setting... What do you guys see in the bright childrens colors?

There are no gnomes with pigtails in this game.. starving and miserable console peasants, rotting corpses, violence and tragedy. The music especially affirms this. I completely love my desaturated preset and my jaw drops every time i hop in. Maybe try something else as you guys still don't sound happy with bright looney tunes.

Ps. i changed mine just a bit since the last update on the site.. the gamma was 1 pip too high.

Here's a tip. Most of the presets to choose from get wow creamy screenshots but 1) look like crap when you're not in a screenshot vista 2) are unplayable when it rains. Take the one where you like the colors the most and start playing around with

#define RGB_Lift (make sure lift gamma gain is enabled, and its going to need to be over 1.0 if other colors have been subtracted).
#define Exposure
and possibly
#define Bleach

If you google each setting you can get a really easy to understand links on what each setting does, of course there's more. That's how i started, take one where i liked the colors but was completely unplayable apart from to generate screenshots and went from there. Though its probably needless to say my profiles started with going straight for the vibrance :) Also, the stuff in tonemap settings is actually a dupe of lift gamma and vibrance, so if you set them in tonemap turn off the others and vice versa.

Tip 2: The goal for screwing around with RGB_Lift could be suggested as.. make the shadows on a sunny day in game look the same as the shadows on a sunny day in reality. Then nerf it back down until it looks good. Success!!

Last edited:
bright childrens colors?
This is a really silly thing to say, colors are not childish they're just colors. Most of the music is pretty up beat too and the vanilla game is much more colorful than for instance Fable games, you've got a strange imagination thinking this is a grim and dark game. The first one was to a small extent, this one isn't at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom