Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Willowhugger "Actually, they said that the choice between Triss and Yennefer would be expected and that as players, "they have an investment in their choices mattering."

Then it appears that they have dropped the ball on this one. The juggling act they did with Triss between romance option/important character and inconsequential figure is pretty clear, and goes against the "choices matter" approach they were going for. It seems they simply could not reverse the strong investments they made early in development.

Last edited:
Was doing an interesting quest at Skellige.

Help the village to let the suddenly appeared tower vanish. I went to the tower and met a sorccerer from Kovir. After helping him to break the magical defense he told me to visit him Kovir when I will go for it some day. Maybe a reference to an expansion where you will be able to play in Kovir? With Triss by your side ofc?.. :wub:

I remember that quest, after completing it I was very hopeful that I get to see Triss in Kovir, I thought I could meet that dude as well. But at the end of the game not only did we get limited Triss, we got a silly drawing with narrative. I thought Kovir would be unlocked after the main campaign and I can continue with side quest and drop in on my red hair from time to time.

It was such a let down I went on a drowner killing spree. I'm ok now tho. NOT

Guess I'm the only one that let Radovid win, from TW1 I always played Geralt as neutral to any political happenings, I only cared that Triss, Ciri and Yen were safe, the fate of the North didn't bother me at all. My Geralt lives happily in Kovir with Triss, Ciri is well trained and can take care of herself, and Yen is hopefully well where ever she ended up. I actually really like the grim ending I got, now that I know what the alternatives are, I wouldn't change a thing. And on topic...more Triss please.

I was never going to Radovid win. Geralt has lots of friends and a lover who are sorceresses and non-humans and he himself isn't entirely human.

I too believe there is a period between the ending and the "Triss" slide. This would explain room for future DLC, Ciri training as well as just doing contracts and stuff after the game is over.

This is sort of how I envision it. He doesn't leave for Kovir right away. Like maybe she goes on ahead to get everything set up while you stay behind to tie up loose ends (Ciri specifically). I also would have liked a chance for Geralt and Yen to say goodbye. Even though I didn't pick her, she's still a big part of his life and she deserves a proper goodbye. Maybe that'll be the next dialogue I write. :eek:

After Vesemir died ! He literally traveled all around the world to find the people murdered his friend but after Vesemir (His mentor!) died he wont go for revenge and just leave the group?

This is a good point. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps you can think of it like Lambert doesn't know if the Hunt can even be beaten in the first place. His leaving might have been his way of just trying to forget. Maybe he also realizes that putting himself through possibly more heartache won't bring Vesemir back. It would be easier to just say goodbye to everyone right then and there and just leave. So this one, while I admit is weird, it could be explained.

Also, with his friend revenge-quest, he at least knew who the killer was. He was a real target that he could go and get and exact revenge on personally. Like you said, The Hunt are extra-dimensional beings, and so maybe he thought getting his vengeance wouldn't have been satisfying. Just speculating here.

So lets move on to Letho.

I am more sympathetic as to why Letho didn't stay. He is more of a loner; isn't part of the same school as Geralt, Lambert, or Eskel so he's a bit of an outcast. Doesn't seem like he cared that much about Ciri either, so it wasn't really his battle. He stayed and fought at Kaer Morhen because he owed Geralt for saving him and for the stuff in the second game.

Why didnt they join again to maximize the success against the Wild Hunt? They appear at the battle of Kaer Morhen but not in their own country? This is weird.

As for Cerys and Hjallmar not being there, remember you fight them on Undvik, which is the island that is mostly abandoned because of the Ice Giant prowling around. So maybe they were fending off the Hunt elsewhere or were dealing with Nilfgaardian ships in their harbor or didn't even know there was a battle until it was too late? Still kinda weird that Crach just shows up though so I'll give you that one. How did he know where you would be? He never mentioned that he, himself, would be helping you out. Sucks that he died. He did go out like a boss though. True Skellige-warior fashion. :p

Same for Zoltan. Dandelion is taking care of the "Chameleon". Why didnt he join the group again at Skellige?

I concede this one. No reason why Zoltan couldn't have been there.

Now back to Triss the actual topic here: When arriving at Skellige.. why is she staying on the ship all the time?

Yeah. Triss should have been able to accompany you a little bit around Skellige. There were multiple quests to set up the final battle. For her to just stay on the boat feels like a disservice to her. She's a powerful sorceress and could have been helpful in some of the battle preparation. :dry: I guess she didn't come with Phillipa so that she could have that conversation with you at the end. Two sorceresses are always better than one when adventuring through Elven Ruins though.

Where are the sorceress? I just saw Yen once if I remember correctly. And I expected a bit more drama since the Kaer Morhen fight was really close and 100 times harder comparing to the last battle in my eyes

If memory serves, the sorceresses were split into two groups, 4 on each side of the battle, and they were maintaining that big magic bubble that prevented Eredin from fleeing. Perhaps this battle wasn't as close because you got all of his support pulled from the Aen Elle home world. He only had the forces that were already with him on the Naglefar. At Kaer Morhen, he had nigh unlimited reinforcements/resources.

Some scenes where the others need help would have been nice for example.

Some more scenes of specific characters doing different things would have been nice. Perhaps they were all busy though. Not too many allies that weren't sorceresses.

they could at least have referenced how Geralt and Triss came to the conclusion to travel a bit more with Ciri and how she accepted Triss as Geralts new companion after traveling with her a bit more.

This would have indeed been a good chance for Geralt and Ciri to talk about Triss. As mentioned before though, there were other opportunities for them to talk about this.

3 person are: Dijkstra, Lambert and Ehmyr right ?

Philipa too. Still between all of these characters, this only encompasses like 15 lines of recognition about Triss. And about 10 of those were by Dijkstra himself.

Well, regarding the curse lifting, Yen is more powerful then Triss, and possesses more magical knowledge... so it made sense for her to do it. I also doubt Triss would have taken the risk using the trial.

In general, I have to agree even more, since I just finished the game... there isn't enough Triss... or Yen, for that matter. Especially considering the epilogue and post story gameplay. Heck, there are even quests that involve them, that can't be finished once the main story is over, yet they aren't failed either... they are just there.

It may have made sense for Yen to try the curse lifting. However it would make perfect sense to have a second sorceress there in case something goes wrong, especially as Triss should already be there for the portion of players who convinced her to stay. If Yen happy inviting her later despite their personal issues then there would be no issue with her inviting her earlier for those that didn't stop Triss leaving.

@Willowhugger "Actually, they said that the choice between Triss and Yennefer would be expected and that as players, "they have an investment in their choices mattering."

Then it appears that they have dropped the ball on this one. The juggling act they did with Triss between romance option/important character and inconsequential figure is pretty clear, and goes against the "choices matter" approach they were going for. It seems they simply could not reverse the strong investments they made early in development.

I think that statement simply went through the marketing department to be deliberately open to interpretation. As it stands, they can put a check-mark next to it and we still don't really know anything about what they were really planning.

I think we nailed it a few pages back when it was suggested the devs had a core narrative they wanted to tell and any branches off of it were underdeveloped. That coupled with my opinion that the devs wanted to laser focus on Ciri and big hollywood moments. Game woefully under services both the romance and family themes, keeping the former par for the course and the latter strangely muted.

It all feeds back into the resulting disappointment experienced in this thread, really.

One opportunity I think would work well to address the Triss as well as Yen's relationship with Geralt is when Triss and Ciri are standing beside each other on the boat. I could see banter being put in talking about how Triss feels towards her relationship with Geralt or Geralt's relationship with Yen. It would also give Ciri a chance to voice her opinions on the relationships.
If you chose Triss then Ciri can talk to Triss about her noticing her and Geralt together and ending off the conversation by saying she's happy for them.
If you chose Yen then Ciri could comfort Triss with it ending with Triss saying she's happy for the both of them.
And of couse if you are alone then Triss can say "Oh well. What can you do" or something along those lines.
This would imo give at least some communication between Ciri and Triss, resolve the Triss/Yen situation, and allow Ciri to discuss a certain aspect of Geralt.

I was never going to Radovid win. Geralt has lots of friends and a lover who are sorceresses and non-humans and he himself isn't entirely human.
I actually liked Radovid in the first two games, shame he has gone utterly mad, too mad for his own good. I imagine someone will kill him down the road when people get tired of his brutality, it's just not my business. In my opinion he has already grabbed a large chunk of territory to keep him busy for a while and Geralt and Triss are safe in Kovir. It's a pretty selfish choice, but I imagine witcher as pretty much emotionless, except when it comes to Geralt's closest friends, and I count those on the fingers of one hand.

It may have made sense for Yen to try the curse lifting. However it would make perfect sense to have a second sorceress there in case something goes wrong, especially as Triss should already be there for the portion of players who convinced her to stay. If Yen happy inviting her later despite their personal issues then there would be no issue with her inviting her earlier for those that didn't stop Triss leaving.

It would've been interesting to get a choice in the matter.

Book spoiler:
When Ciri is first taken to Kaer Morhen to begin her Witcher training, the guys there start to run into issues because Ciri has three episodes where she acts as a magical medium, channeling some strange voice and talking jibberish and because she is a girl with her own needs that they can't help with. So they decide to call on a sorceress to help with both aspects. Geralt and Yen had another one of their uncomfortable "breakups" and he, despite still loving her strongly, wasn't willing to ask Yen to come help.
Instead, he asked Triss who stayed with the Witchers at Kaer Morhen for the winter. This part is told from her point of view so we can see she's in love with Geralt. There's a really nice moment between them on the bed Yen throws out of the window in the game that basically sums up Geralt's feelings for both Yen and Triss for the books. Later, Yen makes sure Geralt is aware that she knows that he didn't ask for her help.

Being able to choose would allow for some very interesting dialogue and scenes for both Triss and Yen. Both at Kaer Morhen, when you're dealing with Uma's curse and after, when you meet up with whomever you didn't invite.

Last edited:
If you have a Kovir expansion, Triss would make a good candidate to help you with whatever's going on there. If you've done Now or Never and not convinced her to stay with you, you could meet up with her there before she comes back to help at Kaer Morhen. If she stayed with you or the expansion takes place after Kaer Morhen, you she could come with you in order to check in with the rescued mages.

The tower quest is level 30, basically something you do right before the end of the main story or after you're done and in that state of limbo. By the time you can do the tower quest, Triss is back in Skellige helping prep for the final battle and would be unlikely to just leave and help you there. Even if the Kovir expansion stuff would be lower level and already be done at that point, you could go there to check in with the mage you rescued. Would be a nice tie-in.

I was doing the quest when I already finished the story.. since I didnt like skellige until today because it was a lonely place for me with a bunch of new people I had to face. Was a bit upset because of getting forced to travel with Yen and without a chance to talk to Triss meanwhile and until the very late story.

So if I get your point you are saying no matter if it is before or after the fight such an expansion could be possible right? Lets say if it is before the battle well you can go for Kovir with Triss to already let her show you the house from the fountain. Going to some friends that Triss saved from Novigrad and having some nice and detailed conversations with her. Oh well would be so in for that !

Even if the expansion would be after the fight it will be a good one :) But hey.. all speculations here.. :X

I was doing the quest when I already finished the story.. since I didnt like skellige until today because it was a lonely place for me with a bunch of new people I had to face. Was a bit upset because of getting forced to travel with Yen and without a chance to talk to Triss meanwhile and until the very late story.

So if I get your point you are saying no matter if it is before or after the fight such an expansion could be possible right? Lets say if it is before the battle well you can go for Kovir with Triss to already let her show you the house from the fountain. Going to some friends that Triss saved from Novigrad and having some nice and detailed conversations with her. Oh well would be so in for that !

Even if the expansion would be after the fight it will be a good one :) But hey.. all speculations here.. :X

So the thing is that you need to account for Triss' whereabouts if she goes with you to Kovir for an expansion. This means that:
1. If you finish the story line, the devs need to add her back into the game since all the major NPCs are currently AWOL.
2. Would it make sense for Triss to leave the battle preparations before the final battle to go on an adventure with you in Kovir? The player can do what he wants, but it'd be strange for her to leave without sufficient cause.

Those type of problem may be a reason that the description blurb doesn't mention any existing characters joining in.

Still, the devs could work around it if they wanted, just means that the quests need to be at a certain level range and then fail at some point as you do the main story quests.

A Witcher can dream...

Dont be upset ! We will see our lovely Triss once more somehow.. Im 100% sure about that. Just keep hoping and be patient :) And maybe those dreams are like an encouragement for an expansion :p

This is a good point. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps you can think of it like Lambert doesn't know if the Hunt can even be beaten in the first place. His leaving might have been his way of just trying to forget. Maybe he also realizes that putting himself through possibly more heartache won't bring Vesemir back. It would be easier to just say goodbye to everyone right then and there and just leave. So this one, while I admit is weird, it could be explained.

Also, with his friend revenge-quest, he at least knew who the killer was. He was a real target that he could go and get and exact revenge on personally. Like you said, The Hunt are extra-dimensional beings, and so maybe he thought getting his vengeance wouldn't have been satisfying. Just speculating here.

Could be possible. But thinking about his personality and his *head trough wall* sense.. well for me his decision is a bit weird.

I am more sympathetic as to why Letho didn't stay. He is more of a loner; isn't part of the same school as Geralt, Lambert, or Eskel so he's a bit of an outcast. Doesn't seem like he cared that much about Ciri either, so it wasn't really his battle. He stayed and fought at Kaer Morhen because he owed Geralt for saving him and for the stuff in the second game.

I understand your point here. Could be possible but why would you leave a group after fighting unsuccessfully against the wild hunt? I mean they won at Kaer Morhen but didnt beat them once and for all. Letho is a badass kingslayer. Hard to understand he will skip this "fun".

As for Cerys and Hjallmar not being there, remember you fight them on Undvik, which is the island that is mostly abandoned because of the Ice Giant prowling around. So maybe they were fending off the Hunt elsewhere or were dealing with Nilfgaardian ships in their harbor or didn't even know there was a battle until it was too late? Still kinda weird that Crach just shows up though so I'll give you that one. How did he know where you would be? He never mentioned that he, himself, would be helping you out. Sucks that he died. He did go out like a boss though. True Skellige-warior fashion. :p

Yeah the crach scene was very weird. Thats why I dont understand that the rest of his people didnt appear.

Yeah. Triss should have been able to accompany you a little bit around Skellige. There were multiple quests to set up the final battle. For her to just stay on the boat feels like a disservice to her. She's a powerful sorceress and could have been helpful in some of the battle preparation. :dry: I guess she didn't come with Phillipa so that she could have that conversation with you at the end. Two sorceresses are always better than one when adventuring through Elven Ruins though.

There were tons of possibilities to include Triss for some quests and private conversations with Geralt or maybe Ciri.

If memory serves, the sorceresses were split into two groups, 4 on each side of the battle, and they were maintaining that big magic bubble that prevented Eredin from fleeing. Perhaps this battle wasn't as close because you got all of his support pulled from the Aen Elle home world. He only had the forces that were already with him on the Naglefar. At Kaer Morhen, he had nigh unlimited reinforcements/resources.

Could be true. But I still had to destroy portals where soldiers came out while going for Eredin on the ship.

---------- Updated at 12:27 AM ----------

So the thing is that you need to account for Triss' whereabouts if she goes with you to Kovir for an expansion. This means that:
1. If you finish the story line, the devs need to add her back into the game since all the major NPCs are currently AWOL.
2. Would it make sense for Triss to leave the battle preparations before the final battle to go on an adventure with you in Kovir? The player can do what he wants, but it'd be strange for her to leave without sufficient cause.

Those type of problem may be a reason that the description blurb doesn't mention any existing characters joining in.

Still, the devs could work around it if they wanted, just means that the quests need to be at a certain level range and then fail at some point as you do the main story quests.

True. But actually we can say no side stuff we can do make sense since Ciri needs our help and has to be found asap.

So the best way is to do the expansion after the battle. But there has to be another one for Yen too ofc. And maybe for people that choosed neither of them.

I don't remember that lines, i think he just said something about the bed Yen throw out the window and Triss like this one

Yeah, all he really said was "Solid oak frame, down mattress, Triss always said that she - Ohh!"

Not sure about Lambert though, i only think he is cause there is a options to tell him Geralt and Yen aren't couple anymore

Lambert mentions Triss once but it's not a satisfying conversation.

"Speaking of old friends, Novigrad, and ploughing... How's Triss?"
Geralt's possible responses are:

"Fuck off"
"I was talking about Uma"
"Triss is managing"

If you say she is managing, the most pro-Triss choice, that's all Geralt really says. Lambert then asks about the scars she got at Sodden and if they are still there. Guess she fixed them up somehow. Still, a chance for him to say something about her and Geralt doesn't really take the chance. Guess because Yen is sitting right next to him. Not the case later when he has an option to speak his mind.

L "Great story! With a moral, too."
G "Really? What's that?"
L "Stay away from dangerous women."
G "You can breathe easy. Yen and I - we're not a couple. And we won't ever be one..."
L "Ah, explains why the Sorceress Superior was so damn sulky."
E "Lambert, drop it... Sorry, Geralt, that was, uh, insensitive. We didn't know. You wanna... Wanna talk about it?"
G "No. I wanna drink."

When he said that last line and we weren't given an option to say anything. Made me wanna strangle him. Tell them you'll be fine - you've got Triss instead. Alas, nothing really from Geralt in this scene. :X

In reality, Triss Merigold was added only for the fan service for the players of the first two games.
All along the main adventure, I even feel that Triss is only present as a decoration.

It does feel like she is in there just for fan service but I don't like this idea. :X It's quite disheartening.

I wish Triss was like in the first game. I didn't like this Triss.

You're entitled to your opinion but I personally like the way Triss turned out. Triss from the first game was quite Yennefer-like. Not a big fan myself. :X

I'd like an end where Geralt and Ciri end up together for the rest of their lives.

Uhh, gross?

it's very very clear that for all intents and purposes Ciri is Geralt's daughter. May not be biological, but there's no doubt about it.

Very true. Their relationship, as I understand it, has a very father-daughter dynamic to it.

Edit: I also now get Yen kissing Geralt when he brings Ciri to Kaer Morhen because I read the books. I get the relationship that drives that kiss but considering you can choose Triss over Yen, that kiss should cause some serious fallout and spark a tough discussion about the family dynamic. Considering how complicated a talk like that would be, I'm not surprised CDPR decided they didn't want to tackle it, especially as they'd not spent any time building up to it. Sad, really.

The more I think about it, the more okay with the kiss I actually am. But only if something else would have come of it. A conversation between Triss and Geralt, Triss and Yen, or all three of them. If they weren't going to have any "fallout" as you say, I would prefer it removed altogether. As it stands now, it's just an awkward moment that you have to move past and basically force yourself to forget.

The issue they failed to take into consideration is that the vast majority of people playing the Witcher series have not read the books and don’t consider Triss anything less than Geralt’s primary love interest with Yennefer playing the part of an old flame.

This was my feeling going in. I also understand the history between Yen and Geralt and I recognize that she is an important part of the story. She's a good character in her own right but when it comes right down to it, I just prefer Triss. Simple as that

As for the rest of your post, it's horribly logical and I don't like the feeling that she was an afterthought. It's a disservice to us, it's a disservice to her character, and I think it's a disservice to the possible narrative they were telling.

The same thing happens with the Triss romance. You get resistance because it goes contrary to the inherent flow of the Yen heavy story. It's not so much poor storytelling as it is a lack of effort in making choices truly meaningful. RPGs like this should treat every "what if" branch just as seriously as the canon one. This game doesnt and that's the cause for a lot of disappointment here.

Great point and I wholeheartedly agree. The canon plot line is treated as the "proper" or "correct" choice and that is why some of the other possibilities result in our dissatisfaction and disdain. I'm sure there are other examples you could list but the reason I think the Triss side of things is so disappointing is because she was a major character going in. She's also one of the choices for the most meaningful and significant personal relationships that Geralt can find himself a part of.

It does feel like she is in there just for fan service but I don't like this idea. :X It's quite disheartening.

I also don't like that idea ... but CD Projekt did things like it was the basic idea for the future of Triss in Witcher 3 ...

Also, it seems to me that the devs have not really had a word about the scenario and when you know that the writers were desperate to be faithful to the novel ... because, well, many of the developers at CD Projekt prefer Triss ... and I don't understand how they could leave Triss be so insignificant in Witcher 3 ...

Also, in Witcher 3, it would have been smart to mount a comparison between Triss in the novels and Triss today, to show that with time, she was not the same and it would have been one more elements for a scene of oral confrontation between Yennefer and her.

Dont be upset ! We will see our lovely Triss once more somehow.. Im 100% sure about that. Just keep hoping and be patient And maybe those dreams are like an encouragement for an expansion

That's the spirit! don't give up, Triss will return in a dlc, IT MUST HAPPEN! :)

IAlso, in Witcher 3, it would have been smart to mount a comparison between Triss in the novels and Triss today, to show that with time, she was not the same and it would have been one more elements for a scene of oral confrontation between Yennefer and her.

That kinda was part of the confrontation that never happened, I think... if Triss and Yen ever did address where they stand in regards to Geralt and each other, we never did see it, at least,

IMHO, this game focused WAY too much on Ciri. I'm talking an inordinate amount of time. Especially towards the end. And man, Ciri got so unlikeable in that last bit.

No, screw you Ciri, this is GERALT's story, not yours! Otherwise, this game would be called The Mary Sue Ashen Haired Broad: The Wild Hunt. Almost wish there was a way to kill her off and then still ride off into the sunset with Triss.

500 total votes in the poll! :D

@Riddlin that is sort of my feeling too. Just adding some closed dialogue interactions to, for lack of a better word, downtime would go a long toward making the whole thing more fulfilling. It wouldn't change what is already there and it would just add some more heft and impact to those moments. I think the being sent off to the final battle without being able to talk to all present once more is the most grievous example - like they could all die. Shouldn't everybody talk to Geralt and say possible goodbyes, especially Yennefer, Triss, and Ciri?

And I believe all original voice talent is still technically employed by them. They're on retainer or something everything is done. Because if they didn't keep someone's voice actor (Zoltan for example) and something goes wrong and part of it gets corrupted and it ships like that, then they would need to re-record those pieces. If they didn't at least provide a means for his voice actor to come back it would be bad indeed. Same is true for Triss's, but they wouldn't be employing her to fix a bug, just to fix her story overall. Obviously not as pressing of a concern as bugs and glitches are now, but soon they will have a great deal of those ironed out and then it will be time to look into fixing other problems. I think we could still get our wish someday. :p I am even more hopeful because nobody from CDPR has come on here telling us that isn't going to happen. So for now, while they're still in the stage of bug fixing, no news is good news.

Guess I'm the only one that let Radovid win, from TW1 I always played Geralt as neutral to any political happenings, I only cared that Triss, Ciri and Yen were safe, the fate of the North didn't bother me at all. My Geralt lives happily in Kovir with Triss, Ciri is well trained and can take care of herself, and Yen is hopefully well where ever she ended up. I actually really like the grim ending I got, now that I know what the alternatives are, I wouldn't change a thing. And on topic...more Triss please.

The point that Dijkstra said about Yennefer or Triss never being safe if Radovid was allowed to keep the throne is what won me over. But I agree, whenever it came to political happenings I always tried to make myself neutral. Except in this case when leaving myself in the middle had the possibility of Geralt's loved ones coming to harm further down the road. I also couldn't shake the feeling that even if Geralt and Triss were in Kovir, they might never be safe if Radovid's Witch Hunters were prowling about. I know he has no political reach up there but still. He's also kind of annoying and pompous so I decided the world be a better place without him. And then Dijkstra threw a wrench into the proceedings and I had to make a little bit of a choice. Liked that part. :p

Oh yeah, and more Triss, please. :p

IMHO, this game focused WAY too much on Ciri. I'm talking an inordinate amount of time. Especially towards the end. And man, Ciri got so unlikeable in that last bit.

No, screw you Ciri, this is GERALT's story, not yours! Otherwise, this game would be called The Mary Sue Ashen Haired Broad: The Wild Hunt. Almost wish there was a way to kill her off and then still ride off into the sunset with Triss.

Yeah, Ciri is just as good if not BETTER a protagonist than Geralt. Sorry man.

:)

I totes want a Ciri game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom