Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there has been discussion about being patient as well as previous talk about the rose of remembrance i'm putting guns n' roses - patience here to help pass the time while we wait for news :wall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMmX9G8JP38

I know, i know it's off topic :eek:fftopic:, alright back on topic...hmm...what to talk about....
Hey what if in the next Witcher game you play as ciri or a new pre-determined character and at the start of the game you have a discussion with some random character about the choices from the previous games (like in the Witcher 3) and you say Geralt settled in Kovir with Triss, then later on Geralt makes a cameo appearance with Triss and they give you a quest or information on how to complete the current quest (something like that).

if you romance yen and send triss to kovir then id guess it does work as intended, as for having her be your love interest then i think its lacking ;)

Indeed, although... if they would make some form of Triss DLC, it still would have to work even if she wasn't romanced, at least on a basic level, or it would a bit too specific for the afford it would take to make it.

Last edited:
As for summarizing the major points, when it's my turn I will be paying special attention to you guys @ltdk92 @Zeroscape and @Willowhugger - seeing as you guys are fans of the books but still fans of Triss too, you have some more interesting topics. To be honest though, when it is my turn, I will probably go back and read everything. Yes, I do mean everything. I know, pray for me... And I will consider all points equally.

Many posters have mentioned this, but like the previous comments I have said, I think they need to be reiterated:

The books are not congruent to the games because they deviate in many areas, some more slight than other. However, for the purpose of the tread and the topic at hand, the games makes Triss an intimate and loved companion to Geralt that she is not characterized as in the books. Due to the level of intimacy that CDPR fashioned between Triss and Geralt, and the development they siphoned themselves, more justice needs to be given to Triss. Period. In this respect, this goes even beyond a romance option but again tied to romantic attachment because the devs presented that as a viable option for players to begin with. Irregardless if romance was undertaken by players, she was still present in Geralt's life in ways that simply cannot be drawn out from the books because it is nonexistent in that media. CDPR has the creative license to construct the narrative in whichever way they wish, and they wished to make Triss a central character to Geralt. Since Wild Hunt is a conclusion to Geralt's story, she should have been given a greater narrative presence, romance or not. Since the author, CDPR, and readers of the books have noted that the games operate in a parallel universe to the books, the discussion of the importance and characterization of Triss from the books is a moot point. The games are not confined to strictly using source material for their development as if they were direct adaptions like the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter series were in cinema. The aforementioned licenses were conceived to be direct adaptions from the start. There was never any implication that a direct adaption was intended or was pursued by CDPR.

Just thought I would put that out there to make it clear that it is a near universal opinion on this thread that the books have no bearing on the Triss content or lack there of in-game.

Indeed, although... if they would make some form of Triss DLC, it still would have to work even if she wasn't romanced, or it would a bit too specific for the afford it would take to make it.
i agree 100%, hell i have masses of respect for Cdpr and i hope that they are looking at this, i would happily pay for a directors cut if you wanna go there :D

if you romance yen and send triss to kovir then id guess it does work as intended, as for having her be your love interest then i think its lacking ;)

Hey buddy, I romanced Yen and booted Triss off to Kovir. All is right in my little world, indeed!

No but seriously, I was just pointing out how it would work from the dev side. We don't know what their intentions were in regards to the romances. We've got a few conspiracy theories floating around in this thread. But we don't know for sure. Until we hear otherwise, we have to assume this was the intent of CDPR because game development requires precise planning.

Things change and maybe Triss suffered from falling between the cracks because she wasn't part of the master plan from the beginning. But it doesn't matter, since it's just a matter of making a good argument for changing how things are. We're doing that just fine here.

Many posters have mentioned this, but like the previous comments I have said, I think they need to be reiterated:

The books are not congruent to the games because they deviate in many areas, some more slight than other. However, for the purpose of the tread and the topic at hand, the games makes Triss an intimate and loved companion to Geralt that she is not characterized as in the books. Due to the level of intimacy that CDPR fashioned between Triss and Geralt, and the development they siphoned themselves, more justice needs to be given to Triss. Period. In this respect, this goes even beyond a romance option but again tied to romantic attachment because the devs presented that as a viable option for players to begin with. Irregardless if romance was undertaken by players, she was still present in Geralt's life in ways that simply cannot be drawn out from the books because it is nonexistent in that media. CDPR has the creative license to construct the narrative in whichever way they wish, and they wished to make Triss a central character to Geralt. Since Wild Hunt is a conclusion to Geralt's story, she should have been given a greater narrative presence, romance or not. Since the author, CDPR, and readers of the books have noted that the games operate in a parallel universe to the books, the discussion of the importance and characterization of Triss from the books is a moot point. The games are not confined to strictly using source material for their development as if they were direct adaptions like the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter series were in cinema. The aforementioned licenses were conceived to be direct adaptions from the start. There was never any implication that a direct adaption was intended or was pursued by CDPR.

Just thought I would put that out there to make it clear that it is a near universal opinion on this thread that the books have no bearing on the Triss content or lack there of in-game.

This exactly i agree, the developers even had to alter some things about the ending of the books to make this work, plus they added there own things - i don't remember the order of the flaming rose being in the books but they were in the games (i might to check that to be sure), Triss is very relevant to the story in the games and the developers should have noted that trying to make the game more akin to the books should have not affected how Triss was treated, her content should of remained consistent with the previous games, CDPR could of created any number of other storylines that could of involved more Triss. I understand that money and resources may have prevented this but that is why they get the oppurtunity with dlc/expansions romance or not, she should of been more involved.

@ltdk92

You know, I don't think we need to harp on too much about the games not being like the books. I agree with your points, but I don't think anyone seriously argued that the game should change something to stay true to the books. Though I did miss like 50 pages so maybe there was something there? Dunno. Silly no matter how such an argument is twisted since the games happen after the books, so they take charge of the character development. /shrug.

Triss isn't the only one that's short-changed when it comes to Geralt interactions, though, like you said, she's likely the most important of those characters. Just as an aside, Dandelion really should've had more dialogue with Geralt, especially about the romance aspect, but his content also stops suddenly at a certain point in the story. Well? Well? Well?

Feels sometimes like we need to copy-paste some earlier posts to make those same points again. :D

... Well?

@ltdk92

You know, I don't think we need to harp on too much about the games not being like the books. I agree with your points, but I don't think anyone seriously argued that the game should change something to stay true to the books. Though I did miss like 50 pages so maybe there was something there? Dunno. Silly no matter how such an argument is twisted since the games happen after the books, so they take charge of the character development. /shrug.

Triss isn't the only one that's short-changed when it comes to Geralt interactions, though, like you said, she's likely the most important of those characters. Just as an aside, Dandelion really should've had more dialogue with Geralt, especially about the romance aspect, but his content also stops suddenly at a certain point in the story. Well? Well? Well?

Feels sometimes like we need to copy-paste some earlier posts to make those same points again. :D

... Well?

Agreed. Almost everything discussed currently is a summation or reiteration that many posters have already made, but it never hurts to repeat because there are new browsers/guests/members everyday. In terms of the books and game material, there have been comments that have highlighted books as having supremacy over story line and other in-game developments, or attempting to introduce book developments as if they have bearing on the games in interconnected ways...This is just not the case. Some posters have even speculated that CDPR attempted to stay true to the books more than in previous games. Speculation and conjecture, true, but it has been stated here nonetheless. That is all a matter of opinion if you ask me, but it has been stated. But I digress...

Stagnation in interpersonal relationships with Geralt has also been mentioned before, and I am one of the most vocal bearers of that opinion. I should just copy and paste all the previous posts I have made it seems lol.

P.S. Off topic but I like your avatar lol

I understand that money and resources may have prevented this but that is why they get the oppurtunity with dlc/expansions romance or not, she should of been more involved.
Yes I think the rushed late game (worst part of the game) is due to resource constrain, they probably will do something after get funds returned.

Yes I think the rushed late game (worst part of the game) is due to resource constrain, they probably will do something after get funds returned.
They did delay the game a few times, i think they were more worried about the possible backlash if they delayed the game again to add or change things. Luckily they are spending the next year and a half on this game to add/fix content.

They did delay the game a few times, i think they were more worried about the possible backlash if they delayed the game again to add or change things. Luckily they are spending the next year and a half on this game to add/fix content.
I really hope they will be adding content for a year and a half! Do you have any links that you can post please?

Stagnation in interpersonal relationships with Geralt has also been mentioned before, and I am one of the most vocal bearers of that opinion. I should just copy and paste all the previous posts I have made it seems lol.

It's kinda funny. My first post is still the one that basically sums up everything I've been trying to say since.

Last edited:
It's kinda funny. My first post is still the one that basically sums up everything I've been trying to say since.

Exactly this. I have simply been responding to other poster's comments with further analysis and in-depth argumentation from the broad statements I made from the first post. I have been adamant about the Triss content as reflective of a greater problem, albeit she is the greatest example, of interpersonal relationships being hurt by the multiple strands of narrative the devs were incorporating in-game. I think most people have been dancing around or have said this all throughout this massive thread lol. It's great to hear the input of new members to the discussion, regardless if its the same the past 200 pages--I find it oddly reassuring lol. Thank goodness some posters are organizing everyones statements cohesively. :cheers:

Last edited:
I really hope they will be adding content for a year and a half! Do you have any links that you can post please?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2015/05/28/cd-projekt-cyberpunk-2077-2017/1
They have said that this year and next year are the years of the Witcher, considering how the second expansion pack comes out in Q1 of next year, they wouldn't say that next year is the year of the Witcher if they didn't have any plans after the second expansion pack.

Exactly this. I have simply been responding to other poster's comments with further analysis and in-depth argumentation from the broad statements I made from the first post. I have been adamant about the Triss content as reflective of a greater problem, albeit she is the greatest example, of interpersonal relationships being hurt by the multiple strands of narrative the devs were incorporating in-game. I think most people have been dancing around or have said this all throughout this massive thread lol. It's great to hear the input of new members to the discussion, regardless if its the same the past 200 pages--I find it oddly reassuring lol. Thank goodness some posters are organizing everyones statements cohesively. :cheers:

Very true.

I just hope the devs don't just settle for a Triss DLC side adventure. Would love a more comprehensive and thought out solution rather than the cause-effect reaction of "more Triss because lots of people want more Triss". Would be pretty bitter if we get simple fan service instead of something that seriously ties back into the rest of the game's narrative fabric.

---------- Updated at 07:06 AM ----------

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2015/05/28/cd-projekt-cyberpunk-2077-2017/1
They have said that this year and next year are the years of the Witcher, considering how the second expansion pack comes out in Q1 of next year, they wouldn't say that next year is the year of the Witcher if they didn't have any plans after the second expansion pack.

I wonder how much manpower they will keep on Witcher and, in turn, how much they can get done after the second expansion comes out. With some people saying the devs currently don't have any plans for an enhanced edition, I'm a little worried we wont get anything significant in the remaining time after the second expansion comes out.

Just boils down to what their plans are for the expansions. Big question marks there still. Time will tell I suppose.

Very true.

I just hope the devs don't just settle for a Triss DLC side adventure. Would love a more comprehensive and thought out solution rather than the cause-effect reaction of "more Triss because lots of people want more Triss". Would be pretty bitter if we get simple fan service instead of something that seriously ties back into the rest of the game's narrative fabric.

Agreed. Overall story progression and integrity should never be scarified to fan service. The best way to address sub par Triss content is to utilize plot threads that were already introduced in-game surrounding her activities, i.e. the mage subplot. This could provide some greater examination on the plight of mages outside of Novigrad in light of flaring anti-magic sentiment and the ramifications on governance that it could have in other areas of the Witcher world. Political intrigue could even be thrown in to avoid things from becoming to mystical, as you said lol. Maybe something with the mages could be used in connection with the world merging that happened during the White Frost part of the game. More monsters poured into "our" world so maybe that also has some bearing on the nature of magic? Then again, this is my creative juices flowing and there is nothing really suggesting that CDPR will go that route lol

We will have to wait and see because CDPR has been pretty tight-lipped about information on the upcoming expansion as far as I'm informed.

Last edited:
Why doesn't CDPR give Geralt the option of taking either Triss, Yen or neither with him to Toussaint in the second expansion? Seems like the easiest way of handling this situation

Why doesn't CDPR give Geralt the option of taking either Triss, Yen or neither with him to Toussaint in the second expansion? Seems like the easiest way of handling this situation

We will see when more information comes out regarding the expansions. Soon(TM).

There are many other areas where the romance choice could use fixing. It's not only a lack of content many are finding, but inconsistency in their story line. Check shaedhen's post #1 for a good summary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom