Ending Cliche/Way Too Predictable + Misleading Dialogue Options + Lack of Backstory (Major Spoilers)

+
Ending Cliche/Way Too Predictable + Misleading Dialogue Options + Lack of Backstory (Major Spoilers)

Hello fellow Witchers,

I just want to start off by saying that I am new to the forum but have enjoyed playing the games for quite some time now.

I was introduced to The Witcher 2 - fell in love with the main story line and finished it in 17 hours. Went back and played The Witcher 1 and then the second game again - and then played both games again to make different choices.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is here now and it was definitely a fantastic game. One of the few games in the past 10 years actually worth the hype.

The Endings are Cliche
However, I was left a bit dissatisfied with the "major" ending choices. For starters, they were far too predictable. Let's look at one of the endings: It was basically said that Ciri was going to end up on the Nilfgaardian throne multiple times explicitly and hinted at if a player reads looted books about the Empire.

Where is the satisfaction in that?

One ending ends up with Ciri's sacrifice and Geralt's suicidal behavior - once again, this was way too predictable. The superhuman hero of the game ends up sacrificing herself for the greater good of the planet? Hmm. Oh, and Ciri ends up being a witcher? Saw that coming from the first hour of the game. I'm sure many of us thought of herself as essentially a witcher under Geralt and Vesimir's tutelage.

The worst part in all 3 endings is that the White Frost was not developed properly. I know this specific criticism has been brought up on this website, but I simply have to reiterate this point and reinforce it. I understand that there were some references to the White Frost, but not enough.

Misleading Dialogue Options

Let's move on to some of the misleading dialogue options - this may have convinced some players to say something that they don't want to say.

In Act 3, one of the options was (and I'm paraphrasing): "What will you be doing, Avalac'h, when the battle begins?"

I intended for Geralt to ask this question in a curious way, but it ends up leading to an argument between the two. If I knew this were the case, then I would not have wanted to create a fight since the Wild Hunt was ready to attack us and take Ciri.

Another misleading dialogue option had to do when we searched Avalach's laboratory. Ciri wanted to use her powers to destroy the lab - just like she could have done with Kaer Mohren. I obviously disallowed her and this was one reason that led to a ridiculous ending (Ciri's sacrifice and Geralt's mental disorder). Why should I have allowed her to destroy the lab? It would have brought the Wild Hunt right to us BEFORE we prepared for the battle. Now that would be stupid, wouldn't it? I then replayed Act 3 (thanks to my 200+ save files, I had one before the start of Act 3). I let her "destroy" the laboratory, BUT it turned out she just wanted to break a few tables and chairs. How should I have known that? It's not like I was going to spoil the decision for myself before making it. So the dialogue options that suggested Ciri was going to do some crazy things with the laboratory and alert the Wild Hunt was FALSE.

A dialogue system like the one in Dragon Age II (images that explain the succinct dialogue option) would make more sense. Or maybe a parenthetical description explaining what will happen if the dialogue option is chosen would also make more sense. If we had this, then maybe I would have let Ciri "destroy the lab using her superpowers which basically means that she will throw a few chairs around."

Lack of Backstory

Now, this may not be justified, but I want to learn more about Geralt and Yen's dealings with the Wild Hunt. Their relationship with the Wild Hunt was alluded to a few times, but I want more detail. Possibly an expansion pack (although both expansion packs don't have Geralt and Yen dealing with the Wild Hunt). It would be awesome if CDProjektRED made another expansion pack or a prequel game dealing with the Hunt. This could be the most interesting game (in terms of story-line at least) in the series, since we will be seeing a different side of Geralt and Yen.

The Witcher 3 tried to make the Wild Hunt look like the total bad guys. But I genuinely do believe Geralt and Yen's relationship with the Wild Hunt suggests otherwise. It seems to be a more complicated relationship than "oh hey, the Wild Hunt from Aen Elle is an evil cavalry. We gotta fight their riders!" But The Witcher 3 did not expand on the relationship.

CdProjektRed seems to have run out of time with The Witcher 3 and were probably reluctant to delay and polish it (since it was already delayed twice before and I FULLY supported their decision). This may have led to the aforementioned issues occurring.

All in all, The Witcher 3 was a great adventure. It has set the bar for future RPGs. Despite the criticisms above, I could write entire essays about why this game was the best one in the series, and why this game is the RPG of the 21st century.

Last edited:
Weird, I thought it banged you over the head with the fact Ciri was going to be a Witcher and you had to go directly against her wishes to get her on the throne.

Now, this may not be justified, but I want to learn more about Geralt and Yen's dealings with the Wild Hunt. Their relationship with the Wild Hunt was alluded to a few times, but I want more detail. Possibly an expansion pack (although both expansion backs don't have Geralt dealing with the Wild Hunt). It would be awesome if CDProjektRED made another expansion pack or a prequel game dealing with the Hunt. This could be the most interesting game (in terms of story-line at least) in the series, since we will be seeing a different side of Geralt and Yen.

I don't think that the games ever meant for them to have a complicated relationship with the Wild Hunt. I think Geralt and Yennefer really just want them all dead.

CIRI might.

Geralt? No, he just wants to murder them all.

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 tried to make the Wild Hunt look like the total bad guys. But I genuinely do believe Geralt and Yen's relationship with the Wild Hunt suggests otherwise. It seems to be a more complicated relationship than "oh hey, the Wild Hunt from Aen Elle is an evil cavalry. We gotta fight their riders!" But The Witcher 3 did not expand on the relationship.

They're definitely bad guys, though.

The point is...Eredin is such a dick. He knows that Av'allach betrayed both, and instead of go after Ciri, he wants to fight Geralt? Wut?

---------- Updated at 02:43 PM ----------

A dialogue system like the one in Dragon Age II (images that explain the succinct dialogue option) would make more sense. Or maybe a parenthetical description explaining what will happen if the dialogue option is chosen would also make more sense. If we had this, then maybe I would have let Ciri "destroy the lab using her superpowers which basically means that she will throw a few chairs around."

The worst dialogues tree ever.
This problem isn't fix by a dumb image on the dialogue line.
This problem comes when the dialogue you want to choose is represented only with a short and sometimes different line.
Why don't come back to the old age, where the dialogue line was perfectly the same with what our characters says?

Thanks for the responses guys. I hope we can continue discussing this and CDProjektRED read this forum for future reference in regards to future games in The Witcher series and Cyberpunk etc.

Weird, I thought it banged you over the head with the fact Ciri was going to be a Witcher and you had to go directly against her wishes to get her on the throne.

I don't think that the games ever meant for them to have a complicated relationship with the Wild Hunt. I think Geralt and Yennefer really just want them all dead.

CIRI might.

Geralt? No, he just wants to murder them all.

My ending was a bit different than yours. She basically wanted the throne in mine. I guess there are 36 different endings but with 3 major ones.

Now onto the discussion on the Wild Hunt - what is the point of mentioning that Geralt and Yennefer had dealings with them? Where was the value add to the story? There was none. Everything could have been the same in The Witcher 3 without telling us that both of them knew the Wild Hunt from before. Surely there must have been a multifaceted relationship angle that was not expanded upon. OK, Geralt and Yen might want them all dead. That still does not explain their past dealings. You know what I mean?

They're definitely bad guys, though.

Sure - in our eyes in the storyline of The Witcher 3. It still does not explain why Geralt and Yen dealt with these "bad guys."

By the way, Avalac'h mentions that each race is superior. As humans, the 3 main characters of The Witcher 3 (Geralt, Yen, Ciri, hell every human) thought of themselves as the superior race.

Aen Elle elves think of themselves as the superior race and us as the "bad guys."

Lack of Backstory

Now, this may not be justified, but I want to learn more about Geralt and Yen's dealings with the Wild Hunt. Their relationship with the Wild Hunt was alluded to a few times, but I want more detail. Possibly an expansion pack (although both expansion backs don't have Geralt dealing with the Wild Hunt). It would be awesome if CDProjektRED made another expansion pack or a prequel game dealing with the Hunt. This could be the most interesting game (in terms of story-line at least) in the series, since we will be seeing a different side of Geralt and Yen.

There is. In The Witcher 2.

Aen Elle elves think of themselves as the superior race and us as the "bad guys."

Yeah, except Geralt doesn't feel that way at all. It's just Avallach pointing out humans are racist dicks too. However, at the end of the day, humans being as bad as the Aen sidhe doesn't mean they're not Nazi elves.

The point is...Eredin is such a dick. He knows that Av'allach betrayed both, and instead of go after Ciri, he wants to fight Geralt? Wut?

---------- Updated at 02:43 PM ----------

The worst dialogues tree ever.
This problem isn't fix by a dumb image on the dialogue line.
This problem comes when the dialogue you want to choose is represented only with a short and sometimes different line.
Why don't come back to the old age, where the dialogue line was perfectly the same with what our characters says?

Ok, Eredin is a dick who wants to take over our world. Where's the value add of Geralt's relationship with the Hunt?

Onto your second point about dialogue trees, I tend to agree with you.

I do think the Wild Hunt was underdeveloped but in the opposite direction of you.

I wanted the same burning hatred for them I felt for Handsome Jack, Comstock, and the Thalmor.

I wanted to be able to feel the same burning LOATHING for Eredin that Geralt would feel.

The desire to burn off his face like Imerlith then smash his face in with a mace.

It was mostly "meh."

There is. In The Witcher 2.

Hardly enough detail on the Hunt in The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2.

Yeah, except Geralt doesn't feel that way at all. It's just Avallach pointing out humans are racist dicks too. However, at the end of the day, humans being as bad as the Aen sidhe doesn't mean they're not Nazi elves.

Geralt is the exception. Our society as a whole in the game seems to have the problem. We can pick and choose those who don't such as Geralt - this does not solve the issue.

I do think the Wild Hunt was underdeveloped but in the opposite direction of you.

I wanted the same burning hatred for them I felt for Handsome Jack, Comstock, and the Thalmor.

I wanted to be able to feel the same burning LOATHING for Eredin that Geralt would feel.

The desire to burn off his face like Imerlith then smash his face in with a mace.

It was mostly "meh."

I agree with you here 100%. But a lot of people mentioned this point so I hope CDProjketRed is considering it.

Last edited:
Geralt is the exception. Our society as a whole in the game seems to have the problem. We can pick and choose those who don't such as Geralt - this does not solve the issue.

It's a good rebuttal that Geralt has any leg to stand on saying the Elves are worse than humanity.

They're not.

But that's because the humans in the North suck.

Where's the value add of Geralt's relationship with the Hunt?

That they want Ciri.
While I agree that the ending is rushed, and Eredin and av'allach, among with the White Frost, deserve better....
The point is not in Geralt vs Eredin...the point is in Geralt which want to protect his daughter.

That they want Ciri.
While I agree that the ending is rushed, and Eredin and av'allach, among with the White Frost, deserve better....
The point is not in Geralt vs Eredin...the point is in Geralt which want to protect his daughter.

Yeah, the problem is all tension drains out after Kaer Morhen.

The hunter has become the hunted.

That they want Ciri.

Sorry for not clarifying - I am talking about Geralt's relationship with the Hunt BEFORE the start of the series.

I totally understand that they want Ciri and he hates them now. But why did CDProjketRED tell us that Geralt has a prior relationship with the Hunt when it added nothing to the plot?

This leads me to believe that the ending is rushed (just as you said) and that Geralt's relationship with Eredin is more complicated than we are led to believe. This complicated relationship can be confirmed in the events of The Witcher 1, if I remember correctly.

Once again, it honestly does seem that CDProjketRed was reluctant to delay the game or are hoping on a prequel to The Witcher series (I hope!!).

I totally understand that they want Ciri and he hates them now. But why did CDProjketRED tell us that Geralt has a prior relationship with the Hunt when it added nothing to the plot?

Oh but this...is told...in a dialogue with Yennefer. Both Yennefer and Geralt where kidnapped by the Hunt to be a...bait to draw out Ciri.

---------- Updated at 03:06 PM ----------

The hunter has become the hunted.

Which would be totally ok...if both Eredin and Caranthir had been a more deep characterization.

Oh but this...is told...in a dialogue with Yennefer. Both Yennefer and Geralt where kidnapped by the Hunt to be a...bait to draw out Ciri.

I remember - but a simple dialogue when a huge part of the series was Geralt regaining his memory (due to his amnesia) just is not satisfying, rewarding, and does not inform us of the true nature of the Wild Hunt. It seems to be poor story-telling. A rare issue in the series, though.

Which would be totally ok...if both Eredin and Caranthir had been a more deep characterization.

Agreed.

Last edited:
I remember - but a simple dialogue when a huge part of the series was Geralt regaining his memory (due to his amnesia) just is not satisfying, rewarding, and does not inform us of the true nature of the Wild Hunt. It seems to be poor story-telling. A rare issue in the series, though.

Actually, there are a lot of hints in both The Witcher 1 and 2.
Even this:

Last edited:
well, i think ppl that read the books having an easier time to understand the aen elle aka wild hunt. through the 3 games you only get very view pieces of information about them especially if you want to know what happened before everything began. In the spoilertag is the motivation of the hunt from the books

In the books the spectre elven red riders go to other worlds to kidnap humans to serve as toys and servants to the near ageless elfs that killed all of there humans in the world they invaded , and the whole deal with Ciri was there so that they could regain the means to go to other worlds en mass wich they lost and most could only keep going as spectars.
After the elven king died they changed the idea to killing Ciri to make sure that there world would never be in danger of an invasion from the prophesied son of Ciri who would have even greater world shifting powers and could bring an invasion army to them.

Top Bottom