Eredin says 12 sentences during the whole game and.....

+

Scryar

Forum veteran
Eredin says 12 sentences during the whole game and.....

not a single one of it is not a one-liner without any depth.

This is everything he has to say during the whole game. Furthermore he gets less than 5 minutes screentime (not counting the fight, as the lenght differs depending on the player and difficulty and doesn't add anything to his characterization) in the 40-50 hours of main story.

"I have long awaited this and you. White Wolf."
"Tend to them. We've no time to lose"
"You shan't escape me this time."
"She'll not abandon you"
"You human are so...... impractical"
"The king is dead, long live the king."
"Any last words?"
"You had your chance."
"Witcher. I was hoping you'd come"
"I've something to tell you. But I'll do so afterwards."
"Avallac'h has tricked us both.
"He set us against each other.. and he's made off with Cirilla."

How can the antagonist of the game and leader of the titular Wild Hunt get such a treatment?
Though the worst part about this is that he wasn't just the antagonist of Witcher 3, but the overarching villain of the whole trilogy.
The trilogy starts directly after the books ending with Eredin kidnapping Yennefer from the Isle of Avallach.
The second game ends with Geralt making a deal with him. His soul for Yennefer and Geralt becomming "his best soldier". (according to Eredin)
The first game starts with Geralt at Kaer Morhen being purchased by Eredin and the Hunt.
The first game ends with Geralt and Eredin having a long conversation and Eredin telling Geralt he followed him during the events of Witcher 1.

So the previous games showed us he had a personal interest in Geralt, beyond just using him as a decoy for Ciri. Wouldn't this have been worth more than the 5 one-liners Eredin says towards Geralt during the again 40-50 hours main story? Especially because they spent some together while Geralt was a Rider of the Hunt and like mentioned aboved Geralt was his "greatest Rider"?
The Ciri/Eredin story got an even worse treatment. Eredin is Ciri's personal nemesis since Time of Contempt. He chased and made her life to hell for more than 7 years. Then we get the game, which finally resolves the Ciri/Eredin story and the only interaction between them is a single one-liner.
"You shan't escape me this time" is everything they have to say to each other. 40-50 hours main story and a single frikkin one-liner.

It's a shame that the lack of interaction other characters and the little screentime he gets in Witcher 3 makes him look like some mindless villain who is just evil for the sake of being evil.
Every Disney villain has more personality and depth. I can't believe the same developer wrote anatagonists like Jacques de Aldersberg and Letho.
Nah, the bloody baron has more personality in his small finger than the whole character Eredin.

The whole portrayal of the Wild Hunt is so unbelievable shallow and bland but Eredin topped it all.
A question to CDP: While writing the characters and story, didn't you think there might be something wrong if you couldn't even fill a beermat with the dialogue of the main antagonist?

Edit
: Some suggestions to fix the issues with the Wild Hunt, Aen Elle, Eredin, Imlerith, Caranthir and the White Frost.:

- During the Kaer Morhen siege Geralt mentions that he remembers Imlertih from his time as a Rider of the Wild Hunt. This whole plot is criminally underdeveloped and it would have been a good opportunity to tell us what excatly happended during the time when Geralt was a Rider of the Hunt.
Did he help to conquer worlds? Did he kill innocents? Did he abduct children? We need a conversation about this subject at Bald Mountain. Geralt and Imlerith are alone and there is no real urgency at this time, so it would have been a good moment to give us this conversation.

- In the leaked documents there is a mission called "In search for Caranthir" right before we visit Gheels. Bring this mission back.
Caranthir needs more characterization. We know that Avallac'h created Caranthir so I guess he has some personal interest in him.
All we learn in the game is that he "went criminal". What dees this even mean? Did he "went criminal" just because he serves the Aen Elle king or is there more? Actually there has to be more, otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
We need a mission, in which we search for Caranthir and Avallac'h tries to convince him to give up his support for Eredin but fails. Currently Caranthir is just some faceless mage. This would give him more depth.

- Eredin should haunt Geralt in his dreams. The dream should take place right after the Battle of Kaer Morhen. (right before the moment Ciri wakes him up to kill Imlerith) There should be a long conversation between Geralt and Eredin during this dream. (similar to the Letho conversation at the end of Witcher 2)

-A playable flashback of the Tir na Lia events from Lady of the Lake. This would solve many of the problems with Eredin, the Wild Hunt and Aen Elle.
It should be triggered right after we reach Tir Na Lia with Avallac'h. Something like Avallac'h saying: "You know, Ciri was once here.....[....] (famous white screen.....Ciri flashback starts...)
- a conversation between Avallac'h and Ciri, in which Avallac'h is trying to convince her to make a child with the Aen Elle king.
They could explain the relation between him and Ciri, his relationship with Lara Dorren and that Ciri is a descendant and got her elder blood gene from her, what excatly going on with the white frost and why he helps her.

- a conversation between Eredin and Ciri in which Eredin tries to convince Ciri to poison the king They could explain the relation between Eredin and Ciri and why he haunts her in the game .

- a conversation between Eredin and Avallac'h showing us that they want the same (survival of the Aen Elle) but have different approaches in what way to accomplish that.

- Ciri trying to escape our of Tir Na Lia. While doing this she would find human slaves and graves. We know from Witcher 2 that the Wild Hunt abducts human children to use them as servants/slaves but this didn't play any role in Witcher 3. This would have been an easy way to implement this.

- while spending time in the Aen Elle world they could give us an in depth look on the Aen Elle (their world. history, motivations etc) and the threat of the White Frost for their world. This would help us to understand why they are chasing Ciri.

This playable flashback would solve many of the problems with the non-existent characterization of the Wild Hunt, Aen Elle and Eredin and I think it wouldn't be that difficult to implement it afterwards, because it's pretty seperated from the rest of the game. (playing as Ciri in a seperated area)

- when we reach Tir Na Lia with Geralt there should be human children as slaves/servants.

- A dialogue option to talk wit either Avallac'h or Gheels about the Aen Elle history and how the White Frost is destroying their world. We find anote in Tir Na Lia, which says that the White Frost is destroying more and more regions of the Aen Elle world. It would have been good to be able to talk about this with either Gheels or Avallac'h. (Additionally this would gives us a deeper understanding of the White Frost)

I think this additions would fix most of the problems with the lack of characterization and explanation regarding Eredin,Caranthir the Wild Hunt, Aen Elle and White Frost.

Last edited:
This is literally my biggest and only major gripe with the game. I really hope they address the problem in the future through DLC/expansions or some extended ending thing. There is way too much history between Geralt and Eredin and WAY too much build up to their final encounter for them to exchange like 2 lines of dialogue over the course of the entire game.

As an added bonus, the fact that Eredin is a total pushover and his bossfight is a cakewalk makes the problem even worse. Like, THIS is the guy we were terrified of all that time? Killed him in like 2 minutes.

P.S. It´s technically 11 lines since that first one is in a dream sequence. :/

A random peasant from a random side quest has more lines than the 'greatest threat Geralt ever had to face'.

It's just a bit disappointing, given how cunning Eredin was in the novels. Even if you regard the game as a standalone fiction, it was poorly executed.

In comparison the Crones were a lot more menacing, creepy and interesting. Hmh, should have called it "The Witcher 3: The Crones" instead :D

edit: I think he has one or two more lines in the Cave of Dreams quest.

jj284b

Forum veteran
Its simple. This story is from Geralt perspective, and believe or not, Eredin didnt felt the need to explain all his motivations to him. Its up to player to link the dots together... or would you rather have him start talking like every single bad villain is in all movies and games just before he is defeated by main protagonist?

Eredin's motivation would be clear to you if you read books, and played previous games carefully.

Maybe he didn't like to talk lol. Ok i let the joke aside, i agree that Eredin look like some brainless villain, CDPR did a poor job in TW3 with the Wild Hunt characters, i was hopping that maybe the last fight will be better and we will get some interaction with the bad guy but we got only 3-4 lines of dialog from him and that's all. If that was the famous Wild Hunt king who everyone fears i have to say that is very disappointing.

I see I'm not only one who was disappointed with this... here's my post I wrote yesterday:

I appreciate the personal story game wanted to tell us, and apart from doing constantly favors for people in exchange for information I pretty much enjoyed it, however I was VERY disappointed with 2 things.

... [cut]

Secondly, and probably my biggest disappointment in the story was the portrayal of the Wild Hunt ... I mean ... what? I see the guy twice in the entire SERIES (not counting the spectre we killed in TW1) and he's dead now? The big bad boogeyman? The one that cast his shadow over Geralt since Witcher 1? I wiped the floor with him, literally... Nah-uh, that was very anti-climatic and dissatisfying.

Also, wouldn't hurt nobody to actually expand on the fantasy elements since they play a PRETTY MAJOR ROLE at the end of the game, like wth Whie Cold actually is, how the hell Ciri
stoppped it
, something more about Elder Blood etc.

I don't see a problem with this.

I see a problem with the fact Eredin should have died at Kaer Morhen but not that he doesn't talk to Geralt.

What do they have to discuss?

"I'm coming to kill your daughter."

There's not much left to say.

This scene is much more interesting than anything Eredin says in TW3

Even if he pursued Ciri....I felt no satisfaction in killing him.
It was just....meh.

And the entire last part is just stupid.
Eredin knows that Avallac'h has trickered both him and Geralt...and he still want to fight the witcher instead of running to Ciri...wut?

Eredin knows that Avallac'h has trickered both him and Geralt...and he still want to fight the witcher instead of running to Ciri...wut?

That part I didn't mind because Eredin honestly didn't realize he was a 10th level fighter fighting a 30th level Master Swordsman.

But yes, I wanted to HATE Eredin.

He should have killed Vesemir and done other horrible things.

Yeah they really dropped the ball with the Wild Hunt I was really looking forward to them after TW1+TW2 and in the end
they were just generic screaming idiots

This. I just can't believe that who wrote Eredin and the last act in TW3 are the same writer of TW1/2.
It's just night and day. Now I'm genuinely curious to know what the hell went wrong in the development process.

They probably ran out of time, as much as I like the open world in TW3 it definitely took its toll on the overall story imho (especially the last act)

---------- Updated at 02:42 PM ----------

I mean....this completely destroy the entire boss fight in TW3.

Well shit I really forgot how much better the Wild Hunt was in TW1
Wtf happened?

They probably ran out of time, as much as I like the open world in TW3 it definitely took its toll on the overall story imho (especially the last act)

Then...then I hope in an Enhanced Edition with more depth for the Wild Hunt.

Knowing that this is the ending of the Wild hunt and of Geralt...It's just so disappointing that all end in this way.

Then...then I hope in an Enhanced Edition with more depth for the Wild Hunt.

Knowing that this is the ending of the Wild hunt and of Geralt...It's just so disappointing that all end in this way.

Yeah it definitely is, I also want an EE but didn't they say that TW3 won't get one?

No, just no. I hate when villians are talking whole time. Eredin doesn't care for Geralt, he doesn't even see him as a threat. The only thing he cares about is getting Ciri. and he only needed Geralt to get to her.
Do you want him to be like some poorly written villian like Azmodan from Diablo, who appears every single minute and tells all his plans to you?

No, just no. I hate when villians are talking whole time. Eredin doesn't care for Geralt, he doesn't even see him as a threat. The only thing he cares about is getting Ciri. and he only needed Geralt to get to her.
Do you want him to be like some poorly written villian like Azmodan from Diablo, who appears every single minute and tells all his plans to you?

No, I want him to be a villain which is not a bad guy just for the sake of it.
Eredin in TW1 has more depth than three generals of the Wild Hunt put together.

If I want some poor written villains which are bad, monodimensional, etc...I buy Bioware and Bethesda games.

Eredin should pursue Geralt and Ciri with horrible dreams, maybe sending random riders to Geralt, or following some of his moves with his spectral version.

He simply doesn't feel dangerous. The narrative pretends that Eredin is a big threat...but he doesn't feel like that. He feels more like a clown. I mean:

"The king is dead, long live the king."
"Any last words?"
"You had your chance."
"Witcher. I was hoping you'd come"
"I've something to tell you. But I'll do so afterwards."

This is a B movie level of dialogues. I can't simply take him seriously.

Last edited:

So being a generic villian who constantly screams "I'm evil" is better how?
Have you played TW1? He had much more depth there

Eredin (and the whole Wild Hunt) in TW3 is a joke, no better than Cory in DA:I

I didn't like some of his lines either. But in the game he's not supposed to appear a lot, at least before you find Ciri - he just doesn't care about Geralt. As far as I can tell he only sees him as a minor annoyance, not a real threat. He's too self-confident and only looks for Ciri - and you can see it in her sequences - every time she uses her powers he sends his warriors after her.

no better than Cory in DA:I

And that says much, because Cory is one of the worst villain I've ever seen.
Cinderella's sisters are much better.

But you know...I see a lot of inconsistency between the quality of dialogue with other characters (dialogue with Lambert, Vesemir, Eskel, Triss, Yen, Dandelion, Ciri) and the quality of dialogues about the Wild Hunt generals and Eredin.
I really don't understand how it is possible.

Top Bottom