Let's Talk Gwent

+
Let's Talk Gwent

“A moment, witcher. You strike me as a man of the world. Are you familiar with gwent?”

Gwent is a collectible card game you can play in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It puts you in a role of a general battling an enemy army with your own customized deck of cards. These cards can be obtained throughout the game world: bought at shops, acquired from NPCs after winning gwent matches, or won in high-stakes tournament in Novigrad.

To get yourself more familiar with gwent, watch our newest video, where CD PROJEKT RED’s Rafał Jaki and Damien Monnier explain all the basics: https://youtu.be/Hhnhf8VMmhM

I really love Gwent and I would even go as far as to recommend you guys to develop a stand-alone version of the game but with multiplayer modes and much more cards of course. I can already imagine the tournaments :thumbsup:

BUT in the Witcher 3 Gwent is right now a pain in the ass for me. After playing through the game and of course making my choices along the way, I'm right now in a situation where collecting all Gwent cards seems impossible. Since there is no overview or list ingame of all the Gwent cards (which you guys should fix imo), I had to search for some kind of solution online.

Fortunately there are tons of gaming websites which already have listed all the cards and how to get them. And some cards can only be obtained in certain situations as it seems. For example, I'm missing the Vampire: Bruxa card which can only be won at the Vegelbud estate during "A matter of life and death"... I didn't care much for Gwent back then and now I'm screwed. I think I'm only missing about 2-3 cards. I have won all random cards already because even NPC's I have never played with before don't give me any Gwent cards as a reward any more.

My idea of a solution: In the next patch, you can introduce a new vendor who sells Gwent cards. Since there is a system built in the game that tracks which card the player owns and which not, the vendor could only have the missing ones for sale. And if you want to make Gwent still a challenge, just set the price per card to 10000. That way, it's really just a fail-safe for guys like me and can't be used as an easy work-around for Gwent in general.

Last edited:
I love gwent. Is pretty addicting. I hate musters card! I lose my s**t when I'm playing agains this.

I think that it would be better if the game didn't have any missable cards at all. This is horrible and I don't wanna to start a new game just to complete my deck. I was a noob at the beginning (everybody was) and I lost Zoltan's card. :crybaby:

In the quest “A Matter of Life and Death” there are 3 gwent cards, Dandelion, Milva, and Vampire: Bruxa. After this quest is done these three cards are unobtainable. How likely is there to be a patch to make these cards obtainable after the quest is complete for players who want to collect all the cards.

Is there another way to get 3 gwent cards, Dandelion, Milva, and Vampire: Bruxa, if quest “A Matter of Life and Death” has already passed??

Gwent is an amazingly well developed minigame, it's very addictive and plenty of fun. A great time-sink that I enjoy playing for the sake of playing, not using it as a means of getting XP or gold, which is what usually happens with other mini-games (which is why I avoid fist-fighting and horse racing).

However, I'm pretty much convinced that Gwent unfortunately won't work as a stand-alone PvP experience unless there is significant re-working of alternate decks. In particular, Muster-based decks are simply too weak relative to spy-based decks. The power of Spy cards in particular is just too high. In a game where draw is capped, anything that allows you the ability to draw additional cards is by far the strongest ability.

Spy is thus the most powerful because it allows you to draw 2 cards for the use of one and gives you strategic control over when those cards are played, by putting them in your hand as opposed to on the board. This is the most powerful card in the game (equal in power to a few Faction powers - Northern Realms draw a card when win a round, Scoia’tael start with an additional card, Monster and Nilf ability to draw from discard pile), and is enhanced even further by the Decoy card. This is closely followed by Medic (use one draw one from discard, also can be enhanced by Decoy) and then Muster lags behind (Decoy is useless on Muster).

Muster lags behind because while it allows a lot of strength quickly, it is a one-shot. You can't revive that many cards, so the muster cards become useless once they go to the discard pile. They are extremely vulnerable to Scorch (most Muster cards summon units all of the same strength, a prime Scorch target). It's also difficult because it requires you to have more cards in your deck. You don't want too small a deck because if you end up with a lot of muster cards in your hand, you'll lack staying power, but at the same time, this dilutes your draw and lowers the odds you get the cards that you really want.

This is thus the problem: while it's not as if you cannot win with the Muster-based decks, there is simply no incentive to ever play with them. A well-constructed Northern Realms deck is close to invincible (30 cards max, 0 weather, 3 spy, 2 medic - almost guarantees that you can get the cards you need to win two rounds), even with a less than optimal draw. With this setup there's simply little reason to play anything other than Northern Realms except for flavour and experimentation - but it also means that in a PvP environment, Northern Realms would likely be very overpowered (as a side-point, the reason why Nilf isn't favoured compared to NR despite also being spy-based is because their spy cards are exceedingly worse at strengths of 4, 7 and 9 compared to 1,4 and 5).

Hence, if Gwent were to make it as a stand-alone PvP game, there would have to be significant tweaking, especially something to make Muster decks a bit more powerful/have more staying power, either that, or decrease the power of Spy cards (maybe it would have to be as drastic as reducing it to 1 card draw, so it's a use one get one, same as the medic).

Just my thoughts if Gwent were to ever make that next step. Otherwise, it's a lot of fun as it is now, so a big well done for such a great mini-game!

Last edited:
Stay away from game if you want to play other missions as its highly addictive.

Last edited:
I do not play Gwen at all because it is THE MAJOR immersion breaker. A collectable card game? A pure 20 century invention of D&D and video games' fans, but as a wide-spread game in medieval setting it does not make any frigging sense. As a stand-alone it would be a terrific idea, but in the game I would prefer CDPR to return dice poker and arm-wrestling, and to make an option to turn off everything about Gwent (dialogue options, cards for sale, quests, ets) from the options menu.

mmm, I think "Quinta" ("Fifth" in English, perhaps...?), the game that Zoltan and his lads played in the books, would be more suitable for TW3; it's more medieval-like and would make a good reference to the books' content.

I love Gwent myself aswell, would love to see that the quest at Passiflora wouldn't be the only high-level Gwent tournament in the game, or if possible if they would organise it more than once with different players each time?

I didn't do anything with Gwent on my first playthrough and my word did I miss out now i've started my second on Death March difficulty and Gwent is just a great addition and the extra XP is very much worth it in the lower levels, gives you that boost here and there.
Would definitely recommend it to everyone.

I do not play Gwen at all because it is THE MAJOR immersion breaker.

Same here. Makes no sense at all to have something like this in the game.

mmm, I think "Quinta" ("Fifth" in English, perhaps...?), the game that Zoltan and his lads played in the books, would be more suitable for TW3;

In polish version It's called "gwint" in both books and the game, but of course card game from W3 has nothing to do with card game from the books. And I was looking forward to it, because I thought it would be the same game the've played in the books, so when I saw what it is... it was one big WTF.

Last edited:

aroth

Forum regular
as a wide-spread game in medieval setting it does not make any frigging sense

Actually card games have been around for about 1000 years, which means they did exist in the latter half of the Middle Ages. Granted those probably weren't collectible-style card games like Gwent. But TW3 isn't set on Earth in what would be our Middle Ages. It's set in a post-Conjunction world that has had centuries of time to develop, that may have people who can count humans from Earth as their very distant ancestors, with little indication given as to what level of sophistication each race had attained before the Conjunction turned everything upside-down.

Perhaps their culture evolved differently, and the first card games they invented were collectible-style. Or maybe Gwent has elvish origins, or dwarven, or whatever. Humans may have only attained a Medieval level of technology, but the elves at least seem to have surpassed that, at least in terms of arts, architecture, and culture (though sadly for them, not in weaponry, warfare, or reproduction).

I would prefer CDPR to return dice poker

Please, almost anything but that. I'd much rather have a minigame where skill and strategy can actually affect the outcome, rather than something that is basically pure random chance. Doubly so if any plot points are going to hinge on it. We should be past the days where putting a nice UI over 'Math.random()' counts as a valid "game".

Anyways, I really enjoyed the Gwent minigame. Far more so than the frustration that was dice poker. I'm really bummed that I couldn't sit down and play a final hand with Eredin (and also, all the sorceresses, and everyone else who came along for the ride) before kicking his ass ("Hey, I have an idea. Instead of swinging swords around why don't we stake Ciri on a game of cards? I win, you leave her alone for good; you win, and she's yours", and then of course whoever loses just attacks anyways). The main quest endgame really could benefit from having a lot more Gwent in it.

Last edited:
I love how Gwent is strategic and not just about luck, like in the Dice game... Same with Arm wrestling, you just had to keep it centred long enough to beat the person... Gwent is a really good way to take a break from the missions and just relax and collect cards! I would buy a stand alone game just so I could keep playing.

I do not play Gwen at all because it is THE MAJOR immersion breaker. A collectable card game? A pure 20 century invention of D&D and video games' fans, but as a wide-spread game in medieval setting it does not make any frigging sense. As a stand-alone it would be a terrific idea, but in the game I would prefer CDPR to return dice poker and arm-wrestling, and to make an option to turn off everything about Gwent (dialogue options, cards for sale, quests, ets) from the options menu.

Dice Poker was just annoying. It involved ZERO skill and only luck. Gwent is like a thousand times better. Yes, it breaks the immersion in a way, since it doesn't really fit in the world and a lot of the cards are also weird, but it is still fun to play.

Top Bottom